Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sheabutter

VIP Member
I’m thinking of renting a car to escape the city. I have my driver’s license and I used to drive all the time. Haven’t been behind the wheel since 2015 😬

wordzalad

VIP Member
Think of it like a dual carriageway with an extra lane!

I drive on one quite often and whilst I don’t particularly like it I don’t hate it either. It’s became just a “normal” thing.

Iused to leave early/late to give myself time before it got busy.

If you miss your turn do not worry or panic, you can go off at the next junction.

Use a satnav or get a stand for your phone and make sure you have a charger spare.

have a chew sweet orsomething…

take deep breaths and do not let any dickheads intimdate

Maybe run the route before with a friend or relative if possible or even “drive” there on google maps

FoksiOska

VIP Member
There was a suggestion earlier in this thread about driving at night or setting off really early. That is a good idea as it is much quieter. However the only thing i would say about that is that a lot of roadworks happen at night which may mean that stretches of the motorway are closed or a slip road that you need to use may be closed and you could be diverted a different way.

at-the-disco

Chatty Member
thank you all! i do need to get a proper sat nav bcus my car is about 12 years old and not up to date with all the techy stuff now. unfortunately not really in a financial position to buy one :( i've studied the route a lot and it has made me feel a little better. i'll be driving to yorkshire from the west midlands and nervous about the M1 splitting off into another motorway so i know im going to have to make a lane change

i'm probably overthinking it, i generally love driving and dont get anxious unless it's an entirely new place, which i suppose is a normal feeling

at-the-disco

Chatty Member
i've not long got back from doing another motorway run for 20 minutes and tbh i feel even worse, it was a lot busier i didnt feel confident with changing lanes or even just being on there. i feel so unconfident and down now. i'm going to try again tomorrow