Motorway driving/driving anxirty

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have to do my first long distance drive, including motorways and roads I’ve never driven on before this weekend and I’m absolutely terrified, like waking up in the middle of the night having a panic attack terrified. does anyone have any tips on how to tackle it alone? I have no one to come with me, I’d feel so much more comfortable if I had someone in the car with me.
context: Passed my test 2.5 years ago and only driven on motorway once for 10 minutes.

Urgh I can’t edit the title but you get the gist 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 1
I have to do my first long distance drive, including motorways and roads I’ve never driven on before this weekend and I’m absolutely terrified, like waking up in the middle of the night having a panic attack terrified. does anyone have any tips on how to tackle it alone? I have no one to come with me, I’d feel so much more comfortable if I had someone in the car with me.
context: Passed my test 2.5 years ago and only driven on motorway once for 10 minutes.

Urgh I can’t edit the title but you get the gist 🤦🏻‍♀️
Do you have a proper sat nav like a Tom tom (not the map thing on the iPhone!)
If you don’t have a proper one, get one, it will help to reassure you that you are going the right way and it prompts you to get ready to take the next exit or whatever and it will warn you if there’s a closed road ahead etc

Other than that, give yourself plenty of time so you can take it at your own pace, look up the route so you have a rough idea of where you are going and if you can, plan out a few rest stops at service stations or whatever so that you break the journey into chunks so you can focus on a stage at a time rather than having to think of the entire journey at once.

then just try to relax - you will be absolutely fine!

Reactions: 7
Hey, so when I first got my licsense I was terrified of motorways but within my first week of driving I missed my turn and had to go on the motorway in the dark. I was terrified. However, I soon noticed that driving on the motorway is probably the easiest as everyone is going in the same direction and you don't have to worry about intersections, bikes, pedestrians or anything like that.
Stay in one lane as much as possible if you don't feel comfortable switching lanes but do try to go the recommnded speed (slow drivers can be just as dangerous to others as fast drivers!). Have a look online for the exact route you will take that way you will know in advance if there are any tricky crossings etc and also know where to stop. Even if you miss a turn or similar don't freak out - your sat nav will still find a way to get you to your destination. Remember to relax, perhaps listen to some music? My instructor noticed straight away I was a better driver when I was ever so slightly "distracted" as I wasn't over thinking everything.
And don't be afraid to take plenty of breaks! Driving for a longer distance can be quite exhausting!
You got this xx

Reactions: 6
I passed my test 3 years ago and pretty much threw myself into any journey - I did Hull to Glasgow 6 weeks after passing!
Then, and still now, I study the route meticulously online. I zoom right in to junctions so I know which lane I need to be in.
Driving to London recently, a road was closed and I had to pull in to the services and go through the new route on my phone to be sure I knew what I was doing. It really helps me feel less anxious.

I passed my test 3 years ago and pretty much threw myself into any journey - I did Hull to Glasgow 6 weeks after passing!
Then, and still now, I study the route meticulously online. I zoom right in to junctions so I know which lane I need to be in.
Driving to London recently, a road was closed and I had to pull in to the services and go through the new route on my phone to be sure I knew what I was doing. It really helps me feel less anxious.
This is where a proper sat nav really comes into its own as it will warn of the road closure and automatically re-route you to keep you on track

Reactions: 3
This is where a proper sat nav really comes into its own as it will warn of the road closure and automatically re-route you to keep you on track
Mine does that but I panic if I have not had chance to plan. Mine seems to change the route every 2 minutes sometimes! lol

thank you all! i do need to get a proper sat nav bcus my car is about 12 years old and not up to date with all the techy stuff now. unfortunately not really in a financial position to buy one :( i've studied the route a lot and it has made me feel a little better. i'll be driving to yorkshire from the west midlands and nervous about the M1 splitting off into another motorway so i know im going to have to make a lane change

i'm probably overthinking it, i generally love driving and dont get anxious unless it's an entirely new place, which i suppose is a normal feeling

thank you all! i do need to get a proper sat nav bcus my car is about 12 years old and not up to date with all the techy stuff now. unfortunately not really in a financial position to buy one :( i've studied the route a lot and it has made me feel a little better. i'll be driving to yorkshire from the west midlands and nervous about the M1 splitting off into another motorway so i know im going to have to make a lane change

i'm probably overthinking it, i generally love driving and dont get anxious unless it's an entirely new place, which i suppose is a normal feeling
Google Maps or I-Maps is perfectly fine - get a cheap holder for your phone and put that on your dash :)

• Heart
Motorway driving is the easiest and safest of all the types you can do - don't stress!
One tip though is please please please don't be THAT person who just sits in lane 2 of a motorway, because that is 1) REALLY ANNOYING, and 2) more likely to lead to accidents as people get frustrated, have to pull out to overtake and in some instances undertake.
Just remember to stay at the speed limit (dont go too slow - again is more dangerous to crawl at 40mph) and indicate early and safely, giving your self plenty of time.

Motorway driving is easy (IMO- some people don’t like it!), for me it’s distance. I’d suggest looking at the route online in advance, give yourself plenty of time (including time to take breaks) and I echo what others have said about not going really slow- stick to the speed limit and don’t stay in lane 2. I’m sure you will be fine :)

Reactions: 2
I suffer really badly from driving anxiety so I know your pain! Is it possible for you to get up really early like 4am and drive down when the roads will be really quiet?

Reactions: 4
I suffer with driving anxiety too. Hate motorways and the pressure to drive at speed and switch lanes constantly. However many people find them easy compared to regular roads.
I’d echo @Slothgang and do the drive mega early. Crack of dawn and get it out of the way. Also zooming in on google maps at tricky junctions first does help too!

Thanks for making this thread , driving makes a lot of us anxious.

I don't have experience of motor ways cos there aren't any proper ' motorways ' where l live , only duel carriage ways . I get anxious driving somewhere new and I've got out the habit of doing it .

When I did I long journey I wrote myself a list of directions, cos I didn't have a sat nav,

Also work out where toilet stops are .

Reactions: 2
I used to be like this, the thought of driving anywhere I was unfamiliar with would make me so anxious. Honestly, the only way to get over the fear is to crack on and do it. I spent so long avoiding it, that it just made my anxiety worse and worse. When I finally tackled a lone drive somewhere unfamiliar all by myself I felt so silly for getting worked up and wondered what all the fuss was about!

As others have said, a sat nav will be a life saver. They give you so many useful alerts. Study the route beforehand so you know what to expect roughly. Maybe even get to know where there's services or whatever in case you feel like you just need a little 5 minute break. Leave with plenty of time so you're not feeling panicked about getting there by a certain time, stick to the speed limit (don't go too far under as it will irritate other drivers!) and just try not to overthink it! (easier said than done, I know!)

Good luck - I'm sure by the end of it you'll feel like you've really accomplished something! :)

• Heart
i've not long got back from doing another motorway run for 20 minutes and tbh i feel even worse, it was a lot busier i didnt feel confident with changing lanes or even just being on there. i feel so unconfident and down now. i'm going to try again tomorrow

i've not long got back from doing another motorway run for 20 minutes and tbh i feel even worse, it was a lot busier i didnt feel confident with changing lanes or even just being on there. i feel so unconfident and down now. i'm going to try again tomorrow
What is it particularly that is making you uncomfortable? A motorway is just a road - perhaps slightly busier at times but no more than that. What is it you find challenging about changing lanes?

What is it particularly that is making you uncomfortable? A motorway is just a road - perhaps slightly busier at times but no more than that. What is it you find challenging about changing lanes?
i dont even know, i feel ridiculous cus my dad said i drove perfectly and did nothing wrong. the big lorries terrify me, the other cars merging on if i just stick in the left lane. i just dont think i have enough experience with it so if i keep trying i should feel more comfortable i hope

Reactions: 3
Experience is key! Try it again but pick a time when it's not as busy if possible?

If your dad said you drove perfectly then you did. If my dad though I wasn't a capable driver he would take away my keys.

• Heart
i dont even know, i feel ridiculous cus my dad said i drove perfectly and did nothing wrong. the big lorries terrify me, the other cars merging on if i just stick in the left lane. i just dont think i have enough experience with it so if i keep trying i should feel more comfortable i hope
You get experience by doing it.

You are entitled to drive anywhere. There isn't a special permission for having confidence.

Keep doing it - try at different times of the day and make sure you practice changing lanes. You sound like you just need to keep doing it to break through the barrier you’ve put up in your head about it, it will get easier the more you do it