Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Kim Mild

VIP Member
Thanks for making this thread , driving makes a lot of us anxious.

I don't have experience of motor ways cos there aren't any proper ' motorways ' where l live , only duel carriage ways . I get anxious driving somewhere new and I've got out the habit of doing it .

When I did I long journey I wrote myself a list of directions, cos I didn't have a sat nav,

Also work out where toilet stops are .

Reactions: 2

at-the-disco

Chatty Member
@at-the-disco how did you get on?
Thanks for asking! I only managed to do about half the journey because I kept feeling on the verge of a panic attack :( I’m so disappointed but I’ve got plenty more opportunities to try it again. my mom had to take over for me about half way through. but it’s baby steps I suppose 😅

• Heart

Slothgang

Chatty Member
I’ve just came off the worst driving lesson I’ve ever had, cried my eyes out (proper ugly crying, couldn’t speak) .. he was alright the first 3/4 lessons actually was quite calm & reasonable/understanding but the last 2 I’ve had (last one was mid December before he broke up for xmas, and had one today) he’s literally speaking to me like crap, sighing & making little remarks despite the fact I did mention I am VERY nervous & have extreme anxiety. I took 40mg propranolol for anxiety before my lesson to calm me & I actually felt good, despite not being on the road for about 4/5 weeks I genuinely thought I was doing well.

but apparently I’m crap & I’m doing absolutely everything wrong in my power, just one of 70 things he picked at me about was that I didn’t pull out infront of a massive lorry when I could of.. imagine if I’d stalled though? Like I get what he’s saying I could of but I didn’t want to - i felt safer to wait then go once the lorry had.
Long story short I feel so sh*t now, embarrassed & everything cos I hate crying infront of anyone (even my mum.) but today, I couldn’t help but to. :( I’m shy at the best of times & I don’t like to kind of ‘hit back’ at him or say something so I’m just like ‘okay’ ‘sorry’.. am I being stupid here?

I’m also over paying him, he states his lessons are £27 I give him £30 (20 note & 10 note) & he never gives me the change back. I duno if I’m being petty here. Sorry for jumping on here randomly but I have no pals, I’ve cried to my mum as I walked in with mascara all over my face & a bubbling mess. Just really needed to vent x
Please change instructor and dont let this guy damage your confidence any more.

• Heart

Ashad

Chatty Member
so strange looking back on this thread of how anxious i was!

i have drove on the motorway about 4-5 times now alone and felt absolutely fine, still a bit nerve wracking but nothing as bad as before. it doesn't even bother me driving on new roads to new places now after living in a busy city for over a year. think the best thing i did was throwing myself in the deep end!
I am so glad you came back to comment this. Im due to drive on the motorway and popped onto this thread and saw you felt similar- gives me hope I will feel less anxious too

boobear191

I’ve just came off the worst driving lesson I’ve ever had, cried my eyes out (proper ugly crying, couldn’t speak) .. he was alright the first 3/4 lessons actually was quite calm & reasonable/understanding but the last 2 I’ve had (last one was mid December before he broke up for xmas, and had one today) he’s literally speaking to me like crap, sighing & making little remarks despite the fact I did mention I am VERY nervous & have extreme anxiety. I took 40mg propranolol for anxiety before my lesson to calm me & I actually felt good, despite not being on the road for about 4/5 weeks I genuinely thought I was doing well.

but apparently I’m crap & I’m doing absolutely everything wrong in my power, just one of 70 things he picked at me about was that I didn’t pull out infront of a massive lorry when I could of.. imagine if I’d stalled though? Like I get what he’s saying I could of but I didn’t want to - i felt safer to wait then go once the lorry had.
Long story short I feel so sh*t now, embarrassed & everything cos I hate crying infront of anyone (even my mum.) but today, I couldn’t help but to. :( I’m shy at the best of times & I don’t like to kind of ‘hit back’ at him or say something so I’m just like ‘okay’ ‘sorry’.. am I being stupid here?

I’m also over paying him, he states his lessons are £27 I give him £30 (20 note & 10 note) & he never gives me the change back. I duno if I’m being petty here. Sorry for jumping on here randomly but I have no pals, I’ve cried to my mum as I walked in with mascara all over my face & a bubbling mess. Just really needed to vent x

• Sad

FoksiOska

VIP Member
thank you all! i do need to get a proper sat nav bcus my car is about 12 years old and not up to date with all the techy stuff now. unfortunately not really in a financial position to buy one :( i've studied the route a lot and it has made me feel a little better. i'll be driving to yorkshire from the west midlands and nervous about the M1 splitting off into another motorway so i know im going to have to make a lane change

i'm probably overthinking it, i generally love driving and dont get anxious unless it's an entirely new place, which i suppose is a normal feeling
Which part of Yorkshire are you coming to?
I have driven from the Midlands to Yorkshire more times that I care to remember so I know it very well. The M1 split that I think you're referring to is well signposted (it'll be M1 towards Leeds/Sheffield) or M18 towards Doncaster/Hull/The North (I.e the North East). For Leeds and Sheffield you need to keep in the right lanes and for the M18 it's the left lanes. But it is very well signposted and you get plenty of notice. I know it's easy for me to say as I've done it loads, but compared to many other motorway splits in the country, this one really isn't that bad :)

Just be mindful that the M1 is a smart motorway and doesn't have a hard shoulder like some others do but please try not to let that concern you. Also, keep an eye on any digital speed limits that may show over head and ensure that you are doing that speed as there are speed cameras on large stretches of the motorway. Finally (and sorry if you know this!) But if there is a red X showing on any of the overhead signage it'll mean the lane is closed/will close so simply move over into the next lane. That is usually only the case if there is a reason to close it I.e an incident ahead; they don't usually just close lanes for no reason.

Good luck 🙂

Edited* I think this is the section you're referring to? As you can see if you're going onto Leeds/Sheffield area you can stay in the right three lanes and if you need the M18, you use the far left lane. Try and move into the correct lane as early as you can.
Have you tried using Google maps to "virtually drive" the route and check any parts that you're not sure of so that you can visualise before you do the trip?
Screenshot_20211007-084700_Maps.jpg

Last edited:

Rags2Riches

VIP Member
I challenged myself to a 4 hour drive with about 5 different motorways. Driven for 10 years and probably been on a motorway 4 times.

Best thing I did was look at it physically on a map before the journey so I a vague idea of exits and any huge scary roundabouts. And I did it and it was pretty easy and boring in fact 😅🙏🏻

veevee04

VIP Member
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread. I get anxiety driving on the motorway I just drive in the slow lane on a long journey and not overtake too much.

Motorway driving is easy (IMO- some people don’t like it!), for me it’s distance. I’d suggest looking at the route online in advance, give yourself plenty of time (including time to take breaks) and I echo what others have said about not going really slow- stick to the speed limit and don’t stay in lane 2. I’m sure you will be fine :)

Kim Mild

VIP Member
Yeah you can drive on a motorway with a provisional but you have to be in a dual control car so usually you would only do it on a lesson with an instructor
You can drive on the motorway with a provisional during driving lessons, my instructor did a couple of motorway lessons with me
It's been permitted since 2018, I didn't realise it has changed. I'm giving out of date information. I passed my test in the early 2000s and I wasn't able drive on the motorway till I passed.

Mind , I live in Northumberland and there aren't any motorways there.

Sheabutter

VIP Member
It’s amazing how quick it’ll come back to you.

I passed my test in 2007 and didn’t get a car and drive again until 2013 and I had two refresher lessons and it all just came back to me.
Refresher lessons are a great idea. I used to do a lot of long haul trips. School and friends used to be a forty minute drive including highway. Going home from uni was a four hour travel. The highways were remote for the most part. I want to go to different areas now. I think I need to learn a new skill haha.

Reactions: 1

FoksiOska

VIP Member
i'll have to update everyone on saturday when i actually do
Please do 🙂 good luck with the new job and the move up to Leeds. I recently moved from the West Midlands to West Yorkshire too.

Although there isn't a hard shoulder for the majority of the M1, there are regular emergency lay bys. I think there is one every mile(?) or possibly more regular than that.

I hope the journey goes well

at-the-disco

Chatty Member
Which part of Yorkshire are you coming to?
I have driven from the Midlands to Yorkshire more times that I care to remember so I know it very well. The M1 split that I think you're referring to is well signposted (it'll be M1 towards Leeds/Sheffield) or M18 towards Doncaster/Hull/The North (I.e the North East). For Leeds and Sheffield you need to keep in the right lanes and for the M18 it's the left lanes. But it is very well signposted and you get plenty of notice. I know it's easy for me to say as I've done it loads, but compared to many other motorway splits in the country, this one really isn't that bad :)

Just be mindful that the M1 is a smart motorway and doesn't have a hard shoulder like some others do but please try not to let that concern you. Also, keep an eye on any digital speed limits that may show over head and ensure that you are doing that speed as there are speed cameras on large stretches of the motorway. Finally (and sorry if you know this!) But if there is a red X showing on any of the overhead signage it'll mean the lane is closed/will close so simply move over into the next lane. That is usually only the case if there is a reason to close it I.e an incident ahead; they don't usually just close lanes for no reason.

Good luck 🙂

Edited* I think this is the section you're referring to? As you can see if you're going onto Leeds/Sheffield area you can stay in the right three lanes and if you need the M18, you use the far left lane. Try and move into the correct lane as early as you can.
Have you tried using Google maps to "virtually drive" the route and check any parts that you're not sure of so that you can visualise before you do the trip?
View attachment 798051
thank you so much, yes this is exactly the one i'm referring to. i am moving to Leeds for a job and even though i've been on this route like 10 times as a passenger i'm still worried i won't fully grasp it as a driver. i will definitely have to stay on the M1 as i won't be getting off until after the main leeds junction so thanks for this

i feel a little better about it today, i'll have to update everyone on saturday when i actually do it!

also yes the lack of hard shoulder bothers me a lot, my car has been serviced as is perfectly road safe but the thought of something going wrong with it is just terrifying me, it hasnt done many miles and has barely been driven long distances! but like i said, i'm probably just thinking of the worst case scenario in every aspect. i hate how powerful anxiety can be

Sheabutter

VIP Member
I think you’re getting a lot of great advice in this thread. Estimating extra travel time could also help ease the pressure. If you get lost or a lane switch is just not happening, it’s less stressful. I used to leave an extra thirty minutes early when I was starting out 🙂