Motorway driving/driving anxirty

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just look at a motorway as a larger dual carriageway and it's easier to navigate etc on a motorway than a dual carriageway.

I normally avoid the motorways if I can, I find them boring and monotonous and nothing worse than getting stuck in a jam on one, at least on A and B roads there are plenty of turn-offs and alt routes.

Reactions: 1
I challenged myself to a 4 hour drive with about 5 different motorways. Driven for 10 years and probably been on a motorway 4 times.

Best thing I did was look at it physically on a map before the journey so I a vague idea of exits and any huge scary roundabouts. And I did it and it was pretty easy and boring in fact šŸ˜…šŸ™šŸ»

Reactions: 2
You've already had some good advice but I will suggest looking at junctions on street view. That way you can see what to expect as you drive along. I find the thought of motorway driving worse than the reality. When you're on it you don't have time to worry.

Iā€™m a nervous driver too. Make sure you leave plenty of time and familiarise yourself with route. If you make a wrong turning/miss an exit remember thereā€™s always a way around! Donā€™t panic or try to make a turning last minute.
You got this šŸ’ŖšŸ¼

Iā€™m thinking of renting a car to escape the city. I have my driverā€™s license and I used to drive all the time. Havenā€™t been behind the wheel since 2015 šŸ˜¬

Iā€™m thinking of renting a car to escape the city. I have my driverā€™s license and I used to drive all the time. Havenā€™t been behind the wheel since 2015 šŸ˜¬

Itā€™s amazing how quick itā€™ll come back to you.

I passed my test in 2007 and didnā€™t get a car and drive again until 2013 and I had two refresher lessons and it all just came back to me.

Itā€™s amazing how quick itā€™ll come back to you.

I passed my test in 2007 and didnā€™t get a car and drive again until 2013 and I had two refresher lessons and it all just came back to me.
Refresher lessons are a great idea. I used to do a lot of long haul trips. School and friends used to be a forty minute drive including highway. Going home from uni was a four hour travel. The highways were remote for the most part. I want to go to different areas now. I think I need to learn a new skill haha.

Think of it like a dual carriageway with an extra lane!

I drive on one quite often and whilst I donā€™t particularly like it I donā€™t hate it either. Itā€™s became just a ā€œnormalā€ thing.

Iused to leave early/late to give myself time before it got busy.

If you miss your turn do not worry or panic, you can go off at the next junction.

Use a satnav or get a stand for your phone and make sure you have a charger spare.

have a chew sweet orsomethingā€¦

take deep breaths and do not let any dickheads intimdate

Maybe run the route before with a friend or relative if possible or even ā€œdriveā€ there on google maps

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread. I get anxiety driving on the motorway I just drive in the slow lane on a long journey and not overtake too much.

Just came across this thread, for anyone who isnā€™t confident and considering using the motorway during the night thinking it will be quieter just be wary that itā€™s often busy with hgvā€™s and other large vehicles. I regularly drive on motorways through the night for my job and often it can actually be more hazardous, my work vehicle is speed restricted and it can be quite daunting having an hgv overtaking you, the other night we had 2 lorries playing chicken constantly overtaking each other, thereā€™s always idiots on the road no matter the time of day. Iā€™ve found the best times to use the motorway is just after 10am all the work traffic is past, itā€™s daylight and your not surrounded by 50 hgv ā€˜s

On pass plus you can . You can't drive on a motorway with a provisional
Yeah you can drive on a motorway with a provisional but you have to be in a dual control car so usually you would only do it on a lesson with an instructor

Yeah you can drive on a motorway with a provisional but you have to be in a dual control car so usually you would only do it on a lesson with an instructor
You can drive on the motorway with a provisional during driving lessons, my instructor did a couple of motorway lessons with me
It's been permitted since 2018, I didn't realise it has changed. I'm giving out of date information. I passed my test in the early 2000s and I wasn't able drive on the motorway till I passed.

Mind , I live in Northumberland and there aren't any motorways there.

Iā€™ve just came off the worst driving lesson Iā€™ve ever had, cried my eyes out (proper ugly crying, couldnā€™t speak) .. he was alright the first 3/4 lessons actually was quite calm & reasonable/understanding but the last 2 Iā€™ve had (last one was mid December before he broke up for xmas, and had one today) heā€™s literally speaking to me like crap, sighing & making little remarks despite the fact I did mention I am VERY nervous & have extreme anxiety. I took 40mg propranolol for anxiety before my lesson to calm me & I actually felt good, despite not being on the road for about 4/5 weeks I genuinely thought I was doing well.

but apparently Iā€™m crap & Iā€™m doing absolutely everything wrong in my power, just one of 70 things he picked at me about was that I didnā€™t pull out infront of a massive lorry when I could of.. imagine if Iā€™d stalled though? Like I get what heā€™s saying I could of but I didnā€™t want to - i felt safer to wait then go once the lorry had.
Long story short I feel so sh*t now, embarrassed & everything cos I hate crying infront of anyone (even my mum.) but today, I couldnā€™t help but to. :( Iā€™m shy at the best of times & I donā€™t like to kind of ā€˜hit backā€™ at him or say something so Iā€™m just like ā€˜okayā€™ ā€˜sorryā€™.. am I being stupid here?

Iā€™m also over paying him, he states his lessons are Ā£27 I give him Ā£30 (20 note & 10 note) & he never gives me the change back. I duno if Iā€™m being petty here. Sorry for jumping on here randomly but I have no pals, Iā€™ve cried to my mum as I walked in with mascara all over my face & a bubbling mess. Just really needed to vent x

• Sad
Iā€™ve just came off the worst driving lesson Iā€™ve ever had, cried my eyes out (proper ugly crying, couldnā€™t speak) .. he was alright the first 3/4 lessons actually was quite calm & reasonable/understanding but the last 2 Iā€™ve had (last one was mid December before he broke up for xmas, and had one today) heā€™s literally speaking to me like crap, sighing & making little remarks despite the fact I did mention I am VERY nervous & have extreme anxiety. I took 40mg propranolol for anxiety before my lesson to calm me & I actually felt good, despite not being on the road for about 4/5 weeks I genuinely thought I was doing well.

but apparently Iā€™m crap & Iā€™m doing absolutely everything wrong in my power, just one of 70 things he picked at me about was that I didnā€™t pull out infront of a massive lorry when I could of.. imagine if Iā€™d stalled though? Like I get what heā€™s saying I could of but I didnā€™t want to - i felt safer to wait then go once the lorry had.
Long story short I feel so sh*t now, embarrassed & everything cos I hate crying infront of anyone (even my mum.) but today, I couldnā€™t help but to. :( Iā€™m shy at the best of times & I donā€™t like to kind of ā€˜hit backā€™ at him or say something so Iā€™m just like ā€˜okayā€™ ā€˜sorryā€™.. am I being stupid here?

Iā€™m also over paying him, he states his lessons are Ā£27 I give him Ā£30 (20 note & 10 note) & he never gives me the change back. I duno if Iā€™m being petty here. Sorry for jumping on here randomly but I have no pals, Iā€™ve cried to my mum as I walked in with mascara all over my face & a bubbling mess. Just really needed to vent x
Change Instructor - Do it NOW! He is at fault, not you.
Getting the right instructor is absolutely crucial in learning to drive. Do not waste any time or money on this clown.
Sending lots of love, no one should make you feel like that. xxxxx

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Please change instructor and dont let this guy damage your confidence any more.

• Heart
As others have said, I'd definitely look into getting a new instructor.

There's also this thread which may be helpful

• Heart
Please change instructor! I promise it is not you, he sounds like teaching people is the wrong job for him and heā€™s not being encouraging or supportive. Not many people learn through being spoken to badly.

With the right person theyā€™ll correct you in a way that isnā€™t just berating you. You will see the difference with the right instructor

• Heart
Reactions: 3