Motorway driving/driving anxirty

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly once on the motorway it’s really simple.
I know you said you didn’t like it because it was busy but honestly don’t panic if it’s busy just flow with the traffic, you can stay in one lane if you want to because it’s busy - you don’t need to keep changing lanes especially if it’s really busy and you won’t gain anything by moving lanes. If you can and want to move past the lorries or real slow moving traffic in the slow lane then just lots of mirror checks and make use of the middle lane too. You can then swap back straight away once you’ve moved past them if the slow lane is where you feel comfortable.
As for traffic merging in if I see a merging lane coming up and I’m in the left hand lane I move over into the middle lane otherwise be prepared in advance to hold back, brake and let traffic in so you’re not slamming your brakes on.
I think the more you do it the more you’ll feel better about doing it and it’ll just be another driving thing you ‘just do’ if that makes sense.

i dont even know, i feel ridiculous cus my dad said i drove perfectly and did nothing wrong. the big lorries terrify me, the other cars merging on if i just stick in the left lane. i just dont think i have enough experience with it so if i keep trying i should feel more comfortable i hope
Honestly, as hard and scary as it is to do, you just need to keep going with it. I found the only way to help me get over my anxiety was to push through it and gain experience. With experience that anxiety will slowly but surely ease and you'll realise all the things you were worried about aren't actually that scary! I promise the more you do it the more comfortable you'll feel

Reactions: 3
thank you all! i do need to get a proper sat nav bcus my car is about 12 years old and not up to date with all the techy stuff now. unfortunately not really in a financial position to buy one :( i've studied the route a lot and it has made me feel a little better. i'll be driving to yorkshire from the west midlands and nervous about the M1 splitting off into another motorway so i know im going to have to make a lane change

i'm probably overthinking it, i generally love driving and dont get anxious unless it's an entirely new place, which i suppose is a normal feeling
Which part of Yorkshire are you coming to?
I have driven from the Midlands to Yorkshire more times that I care to remember so I know it very well. The M1 split that I think you're referring to is well signposted (it'll be M1 towards Leeds/Sheffield) or M18 towards Doncaster/Hull/The North (I.e the North East). For Leeds and Sheffield you need to keep in the right lanes and for the M18 it's the left lanes. But it is very well signposted and you get plenty of notice. I know it's easy for me to say as I've done it loads, but compared to many other motorway splits in the country, this one really isn't that bad :)

Just be mindful that the M1 is a smart motorway and doesn't have a hard shoulder like some others do but please try not to let that concern you. Also, keep an eye on any digital speed limits that may show over head and ensure that you are doing that speed as there are speed cameras on large stretches of the motorway. Finally (and sorry if you know this!) But if there is a red X showing on any of the overhead signage it'll mean the lane is closed/will close so simply move over into the next lane. That is usually only the case if there is a reason to close it I.e an incident ahead; they don't usually just close lanes for no reason.

Good luck 🙂

Edited* I think this is the section you're referring to? As you can see if you're going onto Leeds/Sheffield area you can stay in the right three lanes and if you need the M18, you use the far left lane. Try and move into the correct lane as early as you can.
Have you tried using Google maps to "virtually drive" the route and check any parts that you're not sure of so that you can visualise before you do the trip?
Screenshot_20211007-084700_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Experience is key! Try it again but pick a time when it's not as busy if possible?

If your dad said you drove perfectly then you did. If my dad though I wasn't a capable driver he would take away my keys.
So glad I found this thread as this is me, I’ve had my licence years and never done the motorway. Fair play for you for doing it as I know it takes a lot . It’s the speed and changing lanes I hate

So glad I found this thread as this is me, I’ve had my licence years and never done the motorway. Fair play for you for doing it as I know it takes a lot . It’s the speed and changing lanes I hate
Sorry replied to wrong person 🤦🏻‍♀️ Was happy to find thread lol

Reactions: 3
Which part of Yorkshire are you coming to?
I have driven from the Midlands to Yorkshire more times that I care to remember so I know it very well. The M1 split that I think you're referring to is well signposted (it'll be M1 towards Leeds/Sheffield) or M18 towards Doncaster/Hull/The North (I.e the North East). For Leeds and Sheffield you need to keep in the right lanes and for the M18 it's the left lanes. But it is very well signposted and you get plenty of notice. I know it's easy for me to say as I've done it loads, but compared to many other motorway splits in the country, this one really isn't that bad :)

Just be mindful that the M1 is a smart motorway and doesn't have a hard shoulder like some others do but please try not to let that concern you. Also, keep an eye on any digital speed limits that may show over head and ensure that you are doing that speed as there are speed cameras on large stretches of the motorway. Finally (and sorry if you know this!) But if there is a red X showing on any of the overhead signage it'll mean the lane is closed/will close so simply move over into the next lane. That is usually only the case if there is a reason to close it I.e an incident ahead; they don't usually just close lanes for no reason.

Good luck 🙂

Edited* I think this is the section you're referring to? As you can see if you're going onto Leeds/Sheffield area you can stay in the right three lanes and if you need the M18, you use the far left lane. Try and move into the correct lane as early as you can.
Have you tried using Google maps to "virtually drive" the route and check any parts that you're not sure of so that you can visualise before you do the trip?
View attachment 798051
thank you so much, yes this is exactly the one i'm referring to. i am moving to Leeds for a job and even though i've been on this route like 10 times as a passenger i'm still worried i won't fully grasp it as a driver. i will definitely have to stay on the M1 as i won't be getting off until after the main leeds junction so thanks for this

i feel a little better about it today, i'll have to update everyone on saturday when i actually do it!

also yes the lack of hard shoulder bothers me a lot, my car has been serviced as is perfectly road safe but the thought of something going wrong with it is just terrifying me, it hasnt done many miles and has barely been driven long distances! but like i said, i'm probably just thinking of the worst case scenario in every aspect. i hate how powerful anxiety can be

Reactions: 1
thank you so much, yes this is exactly the one i'm referring to. i am moving to Leeds for a job and even though i've been on this route like 10 times as a passenger i'm still worried i won't fully grasp it as a driver. i will definitely have to stay on the M1 as i won't be getting off until after the main leeds junction so thanks for this

i feel a little better about it today, i'll have to update everyone on saturday when i actually do it!

also yes the lack of hard shoulder bothers me a lot, my car has been serviced as is perfectly road safe but the thought of something going wrong with it is just terrifying me, it hasnt done many miles and has barely been driven long distances! but like i said, i'm probably just thinking of the worst case scenario in every aspect. i hate how powerful anxiety can be
What about looking into breakdown cover or increasing the cover you have if you are worried about the worst happening?

i'll have to update everyone on saturday when i actually do
Please do 🙂 good luck with the new job and the move up to Leeds. I recently moved from the West Midlands to West Yorkshire too.

Although there isn't a hard shoulder for the majority of the M1, there are regular emergency lay bys. I think there is one every mile(?) or possibly more regular than that.

I hope the journey goes well

Please do 🙂 good luck with the new job and the move up to Leeds. I recently moved from the West Midlands to West Yorkshire too.

Although there isn't a hard shoulder for the majority of the M1, there are regular emergency lay bys. I think there is one every mile(?) or possibly more regular than that.

I hope the journey goes well
thank you so much :) how have you found the move? i think the stress and worries about moving to a new city doesnt factor in well to my driving anxiety either, there's so much newness in my life and big changes coming 😄

What about looking into breakdown cover or increasing the cover you have if you are worried about the worst happening?
yes i have good breakdown cover, so i feel pretty safe that i can get help should i need to! thank you

I used to avoid the motorway when driving to work and went the longer way around. It was because I hated coming off the slip road and onto the lane. Eventually just had to do it.

Im sure you’re a great driver, if I had any advice I’d say rely on your mirrors and looking over your shoulder. Check 10 times before you move if it makes you feel better!

• Heart
thank you so much :) how have you found the move? i think the stress and worries about moving to a new city doesnt factor in well to my driving anxiety either, there's so much newness in my life and big changes coming 😄

yes i have good breakdown cover, so i feel pretty safe that i can get help should i need to! thank you
I'm not in Leeds but I'm not too far. I moved from a city to the country so its very different for me. I am enjoying it so far though and the people are friendly 🙂 Leeds is a great city

• Heart
i think i've kind of worked out what makes me so anxious
i've just got back from another motorway practice drive and i felt absolutely fine at first, it wasn't too busy and i merged on without issue.

as i was going along i started feeling a bit trapped. the familiar heart racing started and my breathing caught and i just felt completely claustrophobic. i cant just pull over if i start feeling like that because we're going 60-70mph with no side roads etc to pull down.

i think to combat that i shall just know that there's a junction every few miles, and if worst comes to worst i can just drive the road way the rest of the way there. i'm still determined to do it and i feel a little better now

• Heart
i think i've kind of worked out what makes me so anxious
i've just got back from another motorway practice drive and i felt absolutely fine at first, it wasn't too busy and i merged on without issue.

as i was going along i started feeling a bit trapped. the familiar heart racing started and my breathing caught and i just felt completely claustrophobic. i cant just pull over if i start feeling like that because we're going 60-70mph with no side roads etc to pull down.

i think to combat that i shall just know that there's a junction every few miles, and if worst comes to worst i can just drive the road way the rest of the way there. i'm still determined to do it and i feel a little better now
I think remembering that you can leave at any junction if needs be is a good mindset to have . I always think it would be better to leave the motorway at a normal junction than a service station because service station slip roads can be pretty short.

There was a suggestion earlier in this thread about driving at night or setting off really early. That is a good idea as it is much quieter. However the only thing i would say about that is that a lot of roadworks happen at night which may mean that stretches of the motorway are closed or a slip road that you need to use may be closed and you could be diverted a different way.

There was a suggestion earlier in this thread about driving at night or setting off really early. That is a good idea as it is much quieter. However the only thing i would say about that is that a lot of roadworks happen at night which may mean that stretches of the motorway are closed or a slip road that you need to use may be closed and you could be diverted a different way.
Also driving at night means driving in the dark - which may add another level of concern ontop of driving on the motorway itself

Reactions: 4
I think you’re getting a lot of great advice in this thread. Estimating extra travel time could also help ease the pressure. If you get lost or a lane switch is just not happening, it’s less stressful. I used to leave an extra thirty minutes early when I was starting out 🙂

I know it’s hard to think this if you’re worried but you’re definitely never ‘stuck’ or trapped on a motorway, I know you can’t just instantly stop but as soon as you feel a bit panicky just tell yourself you’ve got this and you’re not trapped because as others have said you can exit at any time at the next junction or even better at a services where you can grab a hot drink and take a break which make help if you become over whelmed.

• Heart
@at-the-disco how did you get on?
Thanks for asking! I only managed to do about half the journey because I kept feeling on the verge of a panic attack :( I’m so disappointed but I’ve got plenty more opportunities to try it again. my mom had to take over for me about half way through. but it’s baby steps I suppose 😅

• Heart