Mother in law experiences #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm on here again, few years after my first post! My MIL is extremely passive aggregate and jealous.

I had bought my son trainers a few weeks ago, quite expensive ones .. she trots into our home (unannounced, doesn't knock just straight through the door) sees son's traines on the floor and goes to my two year old..

'Ooh ... you've got nice trainers, nanny likes these trainers but she can't afford them, they're very expensive, mummy and daddy must have lots of money'
Then proceeds to say to her son, my partner ... 'you can buy me a pair for mother's day if you buy them for your toddler'

Safe to say i made it clear i bought them, not that it makes any difference. Could honestly go on, grinds my gears!!!!
Imagine being jealous of a two yr old!
I have 5 grandchildren and sometimes go without stuff I want so I can buy for them, I wouldn’t dream of making any purchase their parents made all about me.
Self obsessed mare.

Reactions: 13
I'm on here again, few years after my first post! My MIL is extremely passive aggregate and jealous.

I had bought my son trainers a few weeks ago, quite expensive ones .. she trots into our home (unannounced, doesn't knock just straight through the door) sees son's traines on the floor and goes to my two year old..

'Ooh ... you've got nice trainers, nanny likes these trainers but she can't afford them, they're very expensive, mummy and daddy must have lots of money'
Then proceeds to say to her son, my partner ... 'you can buy me a pair for mother's day if you buy them for your toddler'

Safe to say i made it clear i bought them, not that it makes any difference. Could honestly go on, grinds my gears!!!!
Mental health issues here for sure.

Reactions: 4
After much research I identified my mother in law as being a conversational narcissist. She is the most draining person I have ever met in my whole entire life. She does not stop talking. About HERSELF !!
She is also tactless as hell and thinks nothing of telling you how she’s paid off her mortgage through her wonderful management of finances and ‘oh did I tell you I flew first class to Singapore’
She loves praise but minutes of it. Don’t stop at one ‘well done’. She wants a stream of well dones and refuses to break eye contact with you until you have fully caressed her ego 😒 Anyone else experienced anything similar?!

Reactions: 5
I'm furious about mine at the moment. I often am :ROFLMAO: . She insists on booking weekends away ages (a year) in advance without consulting on whether we want to go, the destination, the proposed activities. It's just, we're going here for X nights, on this date and we're booking it now.

She said last July that she was going to book a weekend away for me and my husband, her and her husband and her husband's son and his partner for the first May bank holiday this year. My husband told her we couldn't commit at that time because two of his friends are getting married this year, and they hadn't yet set the dates. She said she'd hold off until he heard more, then two weeks later it's all well, we've got to book now because all the places are getting booked up. Then she books for an extra night and says we can just finish work early to get there!! I'm a news editor and we work on a shift basis, I can't just say ok, cool, let's just hold off on the news now, need to leave for a hostage situation weekend away.

The place is miles from us, my husband refuses to drive so it gets left to me, or we have to take multiple trains (which we're doing this time). It's got activities that none of us are interested in.

She sends a massive long email about the supermarket shopping - the first time I've been included in any of the comms about the weekend - and gives us a 1 May deadline to add what we need to the list. She then sent a crappy message to my husband on Sunday, 28 April, asking why we've not done the shopping list yet, why he's not confirmed what time we're arriving etc. "You've known about it for months, you should both take half a day off work to spend the whole weekend with us."

She's SO draining, SO demanding and SO controlling. She dominates conversations. Everything has to be a big group activity. We'll have to have a Skype conversation with her family in Australia while we're there, nine people plus a two year old on the line.

I've been very clear about my boundaries - I don't want things booked months in advance, and anything that is booked needs to be discussed, I don't want to be dictated to about where we're going and when - but they're repeatedly trampled on. Had a big blow up with my husband about it yesterday, I'm just dreading the weekend.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
After much research I identified my mother in law as being a conversational narcissist. She is the most draining person I have ever met in my whole entire life. She does not stop talking. About HERSELF !!
She is also tactless as hell and thinks nothing of telling you how she’s paid off her mortgage through her wonderful management of finances and ‘oh did I tell you I flew first class to Singapore’
She loves praise but minutes of it. Don’t stop at one ‘well done’. She wants a stream of well dones and refuses to break eye contact with you until you have fully caressed her ego 😒 Anyone else experienced anything similar?!
My late mother-in-law could predict the future, after the event of course.
Whatever events happened in the family she knew it would happen.
Whether it was happy, sad, death, illness, divorce, pregnancy, engagements, date of birth and gender of newborn (after the birth) she 'knew it'
I found it very irritating. It also strengthened my belief that she was indeed an old witch 🧙‍♀️

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I'm furious about mine at the moment. I often am :ROFLMAO: . She insists on booking weekends away ages (a year) in advance without consulting on whether we want to go, the destination, the proposed activities. It's just, we're going here for X nights, on this date and we're booking it now.

She said last July that she was going to book a weekend away for me and my husband, her and her husband and her husband's son and his partner for the first May bank holiday this year. My husband told her we couldn't commit at that time because two of his friends are getting married this year, and they hadn't yet set the dates. She said she'd hold off until he heard more, then two weeks later it's all well, we've got to book now because all the places are getting booked up. Then she books for an extra night and says we can just finish work early to get there!! I'm a news editor and we work on a shift basis, I can't just say ok, cool, let's just hold off on the news now, need to leave for a hostage situation weekend away.

The place is miles from us, my husband refuses to drive so it gets left to me, or we have to take multiple trains (which we're doing this time). It's got activities that none of us are interested in.

She sends a massive long email about the supermarket shopping - the first time I've been included in any of the comms about the weekend - and gives us a 1 May deadline to add what we need to the list. She then sent a crappy message to my husband on Sunday, 28 April, asking why we've not done the shopping list yet, why he's not confirmed what time we're arriving etc. "You've known about it for months, you should both take half a day off work to spend the whole weekend with us."

She's SO draining, SO demanding and SO controlling. She dominates conversations. Everything has to be a big group activity. We'll have to have a Skype conversation with her family in Australia while we're there, nine people plus a two year old on the line.

I've been very clear about my boundaries - I don't want things booked months in advance, and anything that is booked needs to be discussed, I don't want to be dictated to about where we're going and when - but they're repeatedly trampled on. Had a big blow up with my husband about it yesterday, I'm just dreading the weekend.
What would happen if you declined? not this weekend (because it would be very awkward to drop out now), but a future one when it's booked as it's no convenient...

Reactions: 3