Mother in law experiences #4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well my "mother in law" shall use quotations marks as she isn't any sort of mother to my partner, and today in the middle of morrisons she punched me in the nose. There's a massive backstory but she hates me just for dating her son who she gave up for adoption and then rejected him as an adult.
That is absolutely horrendous I hope there were witnesses, if you managed to restrain yourself and not punch her back, I’d definitely get her charged or use it as a way to get a restraining order to keep her out of both your lives! What a vile individual

Reactions: 12
That is absolutely horrendous I hope there were witnesses, if you managed to restrain yourself and not punch her back, I’d definitely get her charged or use it as a way to get a restraining order to keep her out of both your lives! What a vile individual
There were witnesses but because " I was pushing and shoving her back" then the police won't do anything and apparently it wasnt caught on CCTV. It's an absolute joke! I could tell so many things about what she's done over the last 8 years. Definitely going to apply for an order. Her partner went for my boyfriend today and I told her to get him back and she screamed at me. Should've ran her over in my car on the way out.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
There were witnesses but because " I was pushing and shoving her back" then the police won't do anything and apparently it wasnt caught on CCTV. It's an absolute joke! I could tell so many things about what she's done over the last 8 years. Definitely going to apply for an order. Her partner went for my boyfriend today and I told her to get him back and she screamed at me. Should've ran her over in my car on the way out.
Nope, you were defending yourself in case she hit you again!
I would raise this with the police complaints or whoever it is.

Reactions: 5
Well my "mother in law" shall use quotations marks as she isn't any sort of mother to my partner, and today in the middle of morrisons she punched me in the nose. There's a massive backstory but she hates me just for dating her son who she gave up for adoption and then rejected him as an adult.
What a head case!!!! Not even sure what to advice.

Reactions: 2
What a head case!!!! Not even sure what to advice.
It's something that I've learned to accept now. It's just unfortunate we had to bump into her. It's my partner I worry about, as long as she stays away from us I couldn't care.

My Mil is the devil incarnate and textbook definition of a narcissist. She physically and mentally abused my husband when he was a child and if that’s not bad enough she never went to his school to report him being bullied and instead started to call him the names that the bullies called him at school 🥲 he left at 17 and joined military as if he didn’t he would’ve gone down a very wrong path. He has done so well for himself after leaving school with nothing, not once has she congratulated him. Even now she refuses to admit any wrongdoing and says he is over-reacting and needs to get over it! This has massively affected his entire life and for that I totally despise her. He has delayed PTSD which started 5 years ago once she came back to the uk from Spain and she deliberately goads him and just talks about herself constantly. She love bombs him and her grandsons only if we invite her to ours as she never makes any effort or goes out her way to do anything for us. If we didn’t invite her every weekend she would get the hunp and say he was abandoning her and she can’t do anything herself apparently!

She’s 73 and apparently a guy in his thirties is after her 🤣 totally deluded to duck. She has never bought a house in uk when she came back from Spain as she’s holding out for a lottery win to get the house she feels she deserves 🤣 She claims to us she counts all her pennies but looks down her nose at absolutely everyone with her misplaced snobbery and I can’t stand people that think they are better than others.
She is very jealous of what we have but we’ve worked bloody hard for it. She hates me and constantly brings up stories about my husbands first wife even though apparently she never liked her,
She constantly nit picks at my husband and I for words we may not use correctly and apparently because I’m from Scotland I don’t use correct terms in some sentences 🤣 FML!!! Anyway husband has now seen the damage she caused him clearly and has stopped speaking to her after their last argument when she stormed out our house.
Bloody hell, if my MiL's were not both dead I'd say you had one of them!!
---
It's something that I've learned to accept now. It's just unfortunate we had to bump into her. It's my partner I worry about, as long as she stays away from us I couldn't care.
Well this was actually an ex-FiL. It turned out that for three years before his lovely wife died he'd been doinking the woman who was caring for his MiL, so of course when the old dragon died he went straight off with his bit-on-the-side, for which, needless to say, my ex and his siblings were outraged and horrified at what he'd been up to behind their lovely mother's back. The funniest bit of all was that ex and his hideous "wife" were shopping in Tescos when lo-and-behold dear ol' Daddy emerged from the next aisle going the wrong way and bashed straight into them with his trolley, he took one look at them and literally abandoned his shopping and legged it out of Tescos at great speed! Him and his old bird moved house shortly after so it was not going to happen again but did I laugh my head off when my kids told me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Is it normal to absolutely hate your MIL but be sad that it's come to this? Iv posted on here a few times about my MIL.
But there are times I just get so sad about the situation. I suppose hence why I tried so many times to make amends and sort it out with her. I know if she had really wanted to then she would have wanted to sort it out and so I do accept that the relationship is now irreparable. But I dunno, it makes me so sad for my son and my husband.
I think it does say alot when my husband makes no effort with her now. I think I miss my relationship with her prior to having kids. I swear alot of MILs seems to go crazy when becoming a grandmother, like a switch is flicked and it automatically becomes 'war'to them. Weird.
Just wondering if anyone else gets sad about their situation with MIL whilst having a huge dislike to them, I suppose like a 'if only feeling.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Is it normal to absolutely hate your MIL but be sad that it's come to this? Iv posted on here a few times about my MIL.
But there are times I just get so sad about the situation. I suppose hence why I tried so many times to make amends and sort it out with her. I know if she had really wanted to then she would have wanted to sort it out and so I do accept that the relationship is now irreparable. But I dunno, it makes me so sad for my son and my husband.
I think it does say alot when my husband makes no effort with her now. I think I miss my relationship with her prior to having kids. I swear alot of MILs seems to go crazy when becoming a grandmother, like a switch is flicked and it automatically becomes 'war'to them. Weird.
Just wondering if anyone else gets sad about their situation with MIL whilst having a huge dislike to them, I suppose like a 'if only feeling.
Absolutely. I feel this right now.
All my brothers wives have an incredible relationship with my mum, go out for meals without my brothers, first person to meet their babies, my mum is so kind to them and respects their different parenting approaches, never belittles them or makes it a competition. She knows my sister in laws are number 1 to my brothers and loves that.
Then you have my MIL who is an absolute bleep and I wonder what the f I did to deserve such tit. (Nothing because she’s like it to everyone). But seriously I’d love an amazing MIL who treats me like a human!!!
I text my MIL yesterday that we would be having some space from her for a month due to her recent actions and haven’t heard anything from her since. I’d be distraught if my son’s partner ever said that to me.
We can only take peace in the fact we will never be like them. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
In a way I think the only way to think about it is it’s her loss not yours. Keep your head held high and don’t defer to her. If she can’t be civil then you don’t need her in your life. I’ve cut a lot of toxic people out of my life and although it’s hard to begin with it’s better than that coil of anguish in your stomach when you even hear their name.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
BiB I think it's kind of 50/50. I think that the grandparents do ramp up their behaviour but I also think that the new parents have a new person to care for and realise that they need to have stronger boundaries. So stuff that would get ignored beforehand is no longer tolerated causing more battles.

That and you get much less tolerant on not enough sleep ;)

Having read tons of MIL stories over the years, it always seems to kick off when there's a new baby.

• Heart
I kind of do, before we got married we were included in things. We did Christmas’s there, Sunday dinners, birthdays and now it’s like we don’t even exist. Kind of sad really.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
My mother in law has now taken to refusing to come in our house when she drops our child off, to clearly make a point which none of us know what is about. This means she doesn’t get to see her second 8 month old grandson as he’s in the house so she’s losing out!
She says she needs some alone time with my husband which to be honest I find weird but it is clearly because she wants to talk about stuff she can’t do with me there. He’s married with 2 children, why does she continue to have this time alone with him? I find it very strange.
She has seen him with me Easter weekend the following week and the last weekend he was on a stag so saw no one! She isn’t right in the head I swear.
then she will spend the time guilt tripping my husband and making him feel like the worst son because he is trying to be a devoted dad and husband. Some people can’t let go can they.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
My mother in law has now taken to refusing to come in our house when she drops our child off, to clearly make a point which none of us know what is about. This means she doesn’t get to see her second 8 month old grandson as he’s in the house so she’s losing out!
She says she needs some alone time with my husband which to be honest I find weird but it is clearly because she wants to talk about stuff she can’t do with me there. He’s married with 2 children, why does she continue to have this time alone with him? I find it very strange.
She has seen him with me Easter weekend the following week and the last weekend he was on a stag so saw no one! She isn’t right in the head I swear.
then she will spend the time guilt tripping my husband and making him feel like the worst son because he is trying to be a devoted dad and husband. Some people can’t let go can they.
To be honest I wouldn't stand for that. You are your husbands family now and she should respect you. What exactly can't she say in front of you?? I think its appalling behaviour on her part, and what message is it sending out to your children? She's the elder one here, she should be old enough to talk as an adult to both of you and act like a grown up too. This is shocking.

To be honest I wouldn't stand for that. You are your husbands family now and she should respect you. What exactly can't she say in front of you?? I think its appalling behaviour on her part, and what message is it sending out to your children? She's the elder one here, she should be old enough to talk as an adult to both of you and act like a grown up too. This is shocking.
Yeah you wouldn’t believe she’s nearlu 70. She’s acting like a stroppy teenager.
When our second was born, when my husband finally went to the football with her she said I haven’t seen you alone since before (our son) was born. I mean who says that! He’s been helping his wife and children!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Yeah you wouldn’t believe she’s nearlu 70. She’s acting like a stroppy teenager.
When our second was born, when my husband finally went to the football with her she said I haven’t seen you alone since before (our son) was born. I mean who says that! He’s been helping his wife and children!
That is sooo weird. she doesn’t need to see her grown up son alone. Women like this give me the creeps. They need to let go

Reactions: 6
That is sooo weird. she doesn’t need to see her grown up son alone. Women like this give me the creeps. They need to let go
My son and I have time together, just the two of us. We used to meet up in London for a bit of sightseeing and lunch once a year. Now it tends to be more phone calls. Nothing sinister or secret , just mummy son time. Chatting about childhood times or family stuff that would bore anyone else.
On occasions he will come and stay overnight if he is down this way on business.
Just as his wife has time with her mum. She might go and stay with her and leave my son at home. Mummy daughter time. It not an issue.
If the family dynamic thing is ok, it’s a great thing to do.
One of the best times was when my DIL was down this way on business and asked if she could come and stay. I could never ever have stayed with my MIL so I was so thrilled when she asked.
The difference between being a loving mum and a controlling mum is that I have let go. He will always be my boy, but I know that his wife is number one in his life and that is how it should be. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
My son and I have time together, just the two of us. We used to meet up in London for a bit of sightseeing and lunch once a year. Now it tends to be more phone calls. Nothing sinister or secret , just mummy son time. Chatting about childhood times or family stuff that would bore anyone else.
On occasions he will come and stay overnight if he is down this way on business.
Just as his wife has time with her mum. She might go and stay with her and leave my son at home. Mummy daughter time. It not an issue.
If the family dynamic thing is ok, it’s a great thing to do.
One of the best times was when my DIL was down this way on business and asked if she could come and stay. I could never ever have stayed with my MIL so I was so thrilled when she asked.
The difference between being a loving mum and a controlling mum is that I have let go. He will always be my boy, but I know that his wife is number one in his life and that is how it should be. I wouldn’t want it any other way.
Mummy son time? Sorry that phrase made my face do this 😖

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I'm on here again, few years after my first post! My MIL is extremely passive aggregate and jealous.

I had bought my son trainers a few weeks ago, quite expensive ones .. she trots into our home (unannounced, doesn't knock just straight through the door) sees son's traines on the floor and goes to my two year old..

'Ooh ... you've got nice trainers, nanny likes these trainers but she can't afford them, they're very expensive, mummy and daddy must have lots of money'
Then proceeds to say to her son, my partner ... 'you can buy me a pair for mother's day if you buy them for your toddler'

Safe to say i made it clear i bought them, not that it makes any difference. Could honestly go on, grinds my gears!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 18
I'm on here again, few years after my first post! My MIL is extremely passive aggregate and jealous.

I had bought my son trainers a few weeks ago, quite expensive ones .. she trots into our home (unannounced, doesn't knock just straight through the door) sees son's traines on the floor and goes to my two year old..

'Ooh ... you've got nice trainers, nanny likes these trainers but she can't afford them, they're very expensive, mummy and daddy must have lots of money'
Then proceeds to say to her son, my partner ... 'you can buy me a pair for mother's day if you buy them for your toddler'

Safe to say i made it clear i bought them, not that it makes any difference. Could honestly go on, grinds my gears!!!!
Also just to add, they were kids sambas.. not high end designer or anything lol

Reactions: 3