Money in relationships

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
At first we had a joint bank exclude as well as individual bank accounts and paid a % of our salary in, everything else was our own to do as we please. After a few years my parter was made redundant and had a few other jobs with a lower salary than he had before. After this we combined all of our earnings and put as much £££ as possible into savings, the rest is for food and anything else :) as long as the chunk goes into savings, the bills are paid then the rest is for enjoyment.

I’m sure that Denise Welch once said on loose women that she was at her friends house and they wanted a bottle of wine and there was one ok the cupboard but they couldn’t drink it because it was the husbands and he’d paid for it (!!!!). Can’t imagine being married and being so stingy “you can’t have that it’s my butter” 🙄🙄🙄🙄 Like being at uni halls again!

Reactions: 3
At first we had a joint bank exclude as well as individual bank accounts and paid a % of our salary in, everything else was our own to do as we please. After a few years my parter was made redundant and had a few other jobs with a lower salary than he had before. After this we combined all of our earnings and put as much £££ as possible into savings, the rest is for food and anything else :) as long as the chunk goes into savings, the bills are paid then the rest is for enjoyment.

I’m sure that Denise Welch once said on loose women that she was at her friends house and they wanted a bottle of wine and there was one ok the cupboard but they couldn’t drink it because it was the husbands and he’d paid for it (!!!!). Can’t imagine being married and being so stingy “you can’t have that it’s my butter” 🙄🙄🙄🙄 Like being at uni halls again!
I dunno.... I get a bit pee’d off with my boyfriend when he eats stuff I’ve bought for myself. If I had bought a nice bottle of wine to enjoy at the weekend and I came home and he’d drank it I’d kick off 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
I dunno.... I get a bit pee’d off with my boyfriend when he eats stuff I’ve bought for myself. If I had bought a nice bottle of wine to enjoy at the weekend and I came home and he’d drank it I’d kick off 😂
Oh god same, honestly the only qualm I have with my partner is that when we go for snacks he buys things he knows I don't like...but I see him eyeing up mine. So I say why don't you also get some of these? And he's like nah I've got XYZ. Then a few days later if I didn't eat mine immediately of course he's eaten mine as well.
That's not because I paid for it though..our food comes from the joint budget. Just always annoying when someone eats your food really isn't it 😂

Oh god same, honestly the only qualm I have with my partner is that when we go for snacks he buys things he knows I don't like...but I see him eyeing up mine. So I say why don't you also get some of these? And he's like nah I've got XYZ. Then a few days later if I didn't eat mine immediately of course he's eaten mine as well.
That's not because I paid for it though..our food comes from the joint budget. Just always annoying when someone eats your food really isn't it 😂
MINES EXACTLY THE SAME 😂 😂 I’ll buy loads of stuff for him but he always wants what I’ve got instead - he’s like a child or a puppy or something! Then next time I’ll say “why don’t you buy some more of this” and he will say “nah I’m trying to be healthy”...then he will end up eating mine anyway:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Joint account for mortgage payments only.

We then pay for half the bills each out of our own accounts. I pay for gas electric, life insurance, nowtv etc he pays TV license internet etc.

Split the council tax he gives me £50 into my bank account.

Pay for food shop every other week.

I just realised that sounds so complicated haha

ah, see we have MY gin.. i buy it with my own, non-joint account money, why should he get to drink it? we buy beers on the shop and both drink them, but the gin is mine 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 2
We have it that I get paid into my own account (it’s way to much effort to get this changed with my work - it took them a year to update my name when I got married 🤣) and my husband gets paid into our joint account.

As a military family we are benefiting from MOD housing. So that comes direct out of my husbands salary before even going into the bank. Because of this I pay for both cars fuel/insurance etc to even it out as I don’t technically contribute to rent.

The main reason for my husband getting paid into the joint account is that when he gets deployed and not always able to have access to his phone I am able to check his bills like child maintenance etc have come out with no issues.

All other household/shared bills are split evenly between the two accounts and we take it in turns to buy food shopping. At the end of the month we split what’s left in both accounts into 3 savings pots, general savings, one for “emergency’s” and the other for Christmas/birthdays etc.

If/when I ever get a new job I will get paid my salary and move my bills over to the joint account as it will just be easier for us. We do see it as “our” money and not mine or his.

We have really separate finances. We have no joint account and split everything equally. I pay the mortgage, he pays the bills and then pays me his half of the mortgage with my half of the bills deducted.

He does all the food shopping as well so I pay him what I owe for that every few weeks.

We both work and earn similar amounts so it's only fair for us both to pay equal shares and the way we do it works. To me a joint account would confuse matters.

The thing that worries me is savings as I know he doesn't save much and I don't know what we'll do in the case of emergencies or how he's ever going to think about retiring. I don't earn enough to save for us both and don't see why I should considering we earn the same.

Reactions: 1
I was in a previous 8 year relationship where I provided everything for a 6 year period. When we met, he had a good job and he'd pay for certain things as would I. He then lost his job due to his depression, I ended up pregnant and our child is now 6. I paid for everything our child would need before giving birth, I'd pay for his tobacco, his food, everything. He's never so much as bought our son a pack of nappies. He buys his birthday and Christmas presents but he doesn't provide money for his clothes etc. We are no longer together. I feel it needs to be split equally or some sort of arrangement such as you pay rent, he pays bills etc. In my case, there was a lot of resentment on my part towards him. He sees our child every weekend, I have to pay for my sons food down his though. Its crazy to me how different people are in terms of morals.

• Heart
Own accounts and one joint - we transfer over an amount each to cover mortgage , bills , savings & groceries so all that comes out of the joint account whatever’s left is ours to spend how we wish .

We both have personal accounts which our salaries are paid into. We have a joint account for Mortgage we split 50/50 and bills, food, holidays etc we pay a percentage of what we earn (he earns more).

But he often has the tendency to promise to take me out for dinner (pre covid) then tell me I owe him £20. Despite me earning less I find myself treating him to a lot more things which I can be somewhat resentful about... especially when he buys all the latest tech so isn’t hard up

He also once took me out for my birthday dinner and told me if I wanted alcohol as opposed to a soft drink id have to pay for it myself.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
We put all our money into a joint account. My husband is the wage earner and I’m a stay at home mum. Even before our son was born I was working a part time job and he covered the bills and my wage was always fun money. It’s definitely not for everyone the way we do it but it works for us.

Me and my husband each have our own bank account that our wages go into, then we have a joint account and we both out the same amount of money in each month for the mortgage, bills food etc. It works really well for us, we both like having our own money and it doesn’t cause any arguments of who’s spend what it’s so much easier then we take it in turns to buy dog food and things. And he’ll fill up the car and I pay for the dogs insurances and vet bills. We always make sure it’s fair ☺