Missing Blogger Esther Dingley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She said "I think I can see you" twice.

New thought occurred to me now.

What if... considering she made every excuse under the sun to keep extending her time away from him for weeks...

What if she feared him and that phrase publicly posted was to warn him off coming to her? Because it would be too incriminatory if violence occurred to her that week?

I know this is a horrible thought and it creeps me out right now but I've become more aware of victims' instinctive defence tactics even when they aren't consciously aware what they're doing. Because they're stuck inside denial.

Someone wide awake would say f.o and tell her family & get help. But it never works like that.
You might well be right. Maybe she was scared, overwhelmed, not making the best decisions (hence having to ask for food), kept her phone in flight mode so she didn't have to keep "receiving" his messages. Dan made a point of saying how amazing the phone signal was throughout that entire path eastward from Pic de Sauvegarde to Refuge de Venasque, so why did Esther keep telling him there was very bad signal. Was she trying to ward off his messages? Did flight mode cost her her life? Is he acting shifty to avoid his controlling behaviour being made public, is it his image he's trying to control? So many questions.

Reactions: 8
It would be interesting hear the Benasque mayor Ignacio Abadias’ thoughts now, given recent developments. He arguably knows the terrain better than anyone and has seen it all before. (Screengrabs from article published 3 July).
Abadias lol contradicts the case he makes by saying "if she died in a crevasse vultures would be circling and we haven't seen anything like that".

Hmmm.

So if she fell into a crevice in Pic de la Glere same deal.

Why did vultures never circle?

You might well be right. Maybe she was scared, overwhelmed, not making the best decisions (hence having to ask for food), kept her phone in flight mode so she didn't have to keep "receiving" his messages. Dan made a point of saying how amazing the phone signal was throughout that entire path eastward from Pic de Sauvegarde to Refuge de Venasque, so why did Esther keep telling him there was very bad signal. Was she trying to ward off his messages? Did flight mode cost her her life? Is he acting shifty to avoid his controlling behaviour being made public, is it his image he's trying to control? So many questions.
Yes.

Well we saw his blatantly controlling, dominating behaviour in that video on youtube. The one in which he gets all excited about the missing person.

And poor Esther hardly got a chirp in sideways and stood looking down at the ground.

So he failed.

We got to see him in full dominator mode.

Did this route information not come from the hiker she met on the 19th who suggested it?
Did it? I must have missed that. I thought I saw info in the dossier where she had told him her route? Or at least her intention to stay at the Venasque Refuge and then go to Port de la Glere. Didn't she say something like "Port de la Glere or something that sounds like that"? But I might be wrong on that, I've not gone back to check the dossier. The thing is, she spoke to Dan around 4pm on the 22nd. She would definitely have told him where she was planning to stay that night and also the route she was planning. No way he wouldn't have known. So even if the route came from another hiker, Dan would have known her plan.

Reactions: 1
Dan is bright but thinks he is extremely bright so I'm sure he is of the opinion he can outsmart the authorities. Given he could have done all of this without such publicity (the early BBC article etc..) then I wonder if his goal is to write some sort of memoir?

Reactions: 4
Dan is bright but thinks he is extremely bright so I'm sure he is of the opinion he can outsmart the authorities. Given he could have done all of this without such publicity (the early BBC article etc..) then I wonder if his goal is to write some sort of memoir?
With all this publicity his memoir would be a bestseller. He'd be an overnight millionaire.

I'm wondering if the motive was "how dare you abandon me" or $$$$$$.

Reactions: 5
Did it? I must have missed that. I thought I saw info in the dossier where she had told him her route? Or at least her intention to stay at the Venasque Refuge and then go to Port de la Glere. Didn't she say something like "Port de la Glere or something that sounds like that"? But I might be wrong on that, I've not gone back to check the dossier. The thing is, she spoke to Dan around 4pm on the 22nd. She would definitely have told him where she was planning to stay that night and also the route she was planning. No way he wouldn't have known. So even if the route came from another hiker, Dan would have known her plan.

He said in his dossier: ‘An individual that Esther met on November 19 came forward to say he had specifically suggested this route through France, between Port de Venasque and Port de la Glere, to Esther when he met her. There is no reason to think that Esther did not stick to this plan.’
I think you are right she would have discussed her route with Dan in the phone call.

How about "if I can't have you no one can" or "you serve me" or maybe just the ultimate disposal, they had just spent months together on long hike so very close, perhaps to a loathing degree

Reactions: 3
Someone from the programme “faking it” needs to study Dan Cole gate they are very good at spotting someone who is lying

Reactions: 9

I think you are right she would have discussed her route with Dan in the phone call.
Thank you for this article. Clears up these questions for me. So it was indeed her "planned" route, whether she stuck to it or not....

Reactions: 2
Is this possible ito him getting to her & communicating from another phone?

Burner phone/tablet issue.

If I leave my phone at home and buy a spare phone/tablet, can I log into my usual Whatsapp account via web browser from this other phone & sim card and reply to Whatsapp messages?

I imagine it's possible. Whatsapp web app relies on a QR code. So if I connect the tablet I should be able to get in.

Reactions: 2
Someone from the programme “faking it” needs to study Dan Cole gate they are very good at spotting someone who is lying
I know you can’t use a lie detector as evidence but don’t they still use them to show signs of deception?

How about "if I can't have you no one can" or "you serve me" or maybe just the ultimate disposal, they had just spent months together on long hike so very close, perhaps to a loathing degree
Maybe it's "if I can't control you, you need to die".

So often we are led to believe it's obsessive desire for a partner that causes the urge to kill.

But it's not.

Loss of control threatens the murdering partner's false self image. Abandonment is feared because it implies they are defective. It's all about them. They'd kill an ugly partner too.

Reactions: 4
I've stumbled on this blog that has a very detailed timeline of media articles and posts.
Intriguing blogger. "Scarlet" looks a lot like Esther.

She seems to be Dutch because she titled it Koude kaas - cold case in Dutch.

A relative with a very sad, sweet face.

Either way Scarlet, we're with you.

Is this possible ito him getting to her & communicating from another phone?

Burner phone/tablet issue.

If I leave my phone at home and buy a spare phone/tablet, can I log into my usual Whatsapp account via web browser from this other phone & sim card and reply to Whatsapp messages?

I imagine it's possible. Whatsapp web app relies on a QR code. So if I connect the tablet I should be able to get in.
=================================================

For me the bottom line is whether Mr. Colegate's credit card/laptop/phone has activity at the house-sit during the critical period of 22nd-25th, if it does then regardless of what some of us may think about his actions he is in the clear in my view - if not then for me he is stonewall favourite for what has happened.

People have talked about duplicating phones etc. but that would have been very difficult and besides, I'm sure Mr. Colegate would be supremely confident that once he was face to face with Ms. Dingley he could once again get her to do exactly what he wants.

I think there is now a high possibility that a troubled and emotional Ms. Dingley who wanted out of her relationship of 20 years was far less careful than she would normally be and it cost her her life. I believe her text messages were like her constant postponements of the end of her trip - trying to delay the final difficult conversation.

I do hope it wasn't suicide, because I think that would be worse, but it might be if she could see no way of extricating herself from the relationship.

I've been mulling over comments by AriaAria and BellaBoo83.

It struck me that BellaBoo had assumed the Refuge du Venasque was a hostel style refuge, like the Refuge du Angel Orus. What if Esther had assumed the same? That would explain the lack of food taken, as a meal could be bought. On the 19th Nov in her social media post she seems to use the words 'caban' and 'refuge' to mean two different things.

I had the option of staying at a great caban, even had a mattress, but it was only 2pm or going down with my fellow hiker and getting a lift. He'd take me withe r up the valley so I could continue my planned toure to another refuge or back to the camper... It was hard to let go of expectations and plans but this trip has been about choosing self care and not surviving for the sake off it. I'd be just sitting and waiting in the cold on my own in the caban until morning.
From this paragraph, it sounds like she planned 'another refuge' like the one she had just stayed at (Refuge du Angel Orus). There is also a reticence to stay in the more basic caban. Refuge du Venasque is more like a caban.

However, by the time she is on the mountain top, she is saying "Hoping Refuge Venasque has a winter room". At this point, she must have known that it was a more basic caban type hut, as these are the ones that might have a winter room.

So perhaps she started the walk thinking there was a hot meal and warm bed awaiting, but at some point (maybe googled it), realised it was a more basic mountain hut.

AriaAria was musing why she might have made a snap decision on the peak to head west, instead of back down the path east and towards the refuge. Maybe after she sent this message, she thought 'what if it doesn't have a winter room? It's going to be awful', then perhaps made a rushed decision to come down off the mountain via a different route to the west?

I think it's unlikely she made it to the refuge. Whilst there is no mobile service there, I think if she had overnighted and then continued her walk, there would have been a message sent saying she had made it to the hut and whether there was a winter room etc.

=================================================

For me the bottom line is whether Mr. Colegate's credit card/laptop/phone has activity at the house-sit during the critical period of 22nd-25th, if it does then regardless of what some of us may think about his actions he is in the clear in my view - if not then for me he is stonewall favourite for what has happened.

People have talked about duplicating phones etc. but that would have been very difficult and besides, I'm sure Mr. Colegate would be supremely confident that once he was face to face with Ms. Dingley he could once again get her to do exactly what he wants.

I think there is now a high possibility that a troubled and emotional Ms. Dingley who wanted out of her relationship of 20 years was far less careful than she would normally be and it cost her her life. I believe her text messages were like her constant postponements of the end of her trip - trying to delay the final difficult conversation.

I do hope it wasn't suicide, because I think that would be worse, but it might be if she could see no way of extricating herself from the relationship.
Thoughts.

Credit card - you could use a burner phone & shop online and nobody could tell where you were.

Suicide - these controlling types target very strong people. That's what excites them. To break strong people.

Sure, they do end up breaking some who do commit suicide but the fact she was challenging him tells me she had plenty fight left.

* strong defined as full of life, love, empathy, self respect etc. But porous boundaries.

Last edited:
Thoughts.

Credit card - you could use a burner phone & shop online and nobody could tell where you were.
Yes, but then his main phone and credit card would be silent in that period - that would be a sea of Red Flags akin to a CCP parade !

I've been mulling over comments by AriaAria and BellaBoo83.

It struck me that BellaBoo had assumed the Refuge du Venasque was a hostel style refuge, like the Refuge du Angel Orus. What if Esther had assumed the same? That would explain the lack of food taken, as a meal could be bought. On the 19th Nov in her social media post she seems to use the words 'caban' and 'refuge' to mean two different things.

From this paragraph, it sounds like she planned 'another refuge' like the one she had just stayed at (Refuge du Angel Orus). There is also a reticence to stay in the more basic caban. Refuge du Venasque is more like a caban.

However, by the time she is on the mountain top, she is saying "Hoping Refuge Venasque has a winter room". At this point, she must have known that it was a more basic caban type hut, as these are the ones that might have a winter room.

So perhaps she started the walk thinking there was a hot meal and warm bed awaiting, but at some point (maybe googled it), realised it was a more basic mountain hut.

AriaAria was musing why she might have made a snap decision on the peak to head west, instead of back down the path east and towards the refuge. Maybe after she sent this message, she thought 'what if it doesn't have a winter room? It's going to be awful', then perhaps made a rushed decision to come down off the mountain via a different route to the west?

I think it's unlikely she made it to the refuge. Whilst there is no mobile service there, I think if she had overnighted and then continued her walk, there would have been a message sent saying she had made it to the hut and whether there was a winter room etc.
Yes you might be spot on with this assessment. I really do think there should have been another phone ping from her had she made it somewhere that night/next day (unless she was trying to hold off messages from Dan and staying in flight mode - that is possible). But what if she did go West, maybe she looked up the Venasque Refuge after chatting to Dan (as she had good reception up there & apparently had none the night before), and learnt more about it and decided not to go there. Maybe she fell off the Pic de la Glere, heading towards a different Refuge, as the sun was going down. Very plausible. And so very sad if so.

Maybe it's "if I can't control you, you need to die".

So often we are led to believe it's obsessive desire for a partner that causes the urge to kill.

But it's not.

Loss of control threatens the murdering partner's false self image. Abandonment is feared because it implies they are defective. It's all about them. They'd kill an ugly partner too.
Yes, same thing really, same meaning just worded more directly.

He will miss the supply he got from her though, she really fed him well.

And she was better looking than him, I don't know how he pulled her to be honest, and then she stayed for so long... maybe he is more attractive in person, but what did she see in him?! She was obviously far more attractive in so many ways. I would have been friends with her but not him, just like Shanann and Chris Watts.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.