Migraines

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m being tortured with migraines at the minute. I realised a couple of months ago that eggs were triggering migraines with me. I’d eat them and next day I would have a migraine.

I could still eat foods with eggs in them, like mayonnaise, without a problem. But now that’s getting worse. I had some coleslaw at lunch time the other day and in 4 hours I had a killer migraine. Auras, vomiting, the heap.

Luckily, the sumitriptan I’m prescribed does kill them. But my doctor only gives me 6 50mg a month, and I need to take 2 to kill it. Then they make me feel like drunk for the full day.

I know there are egg-free, vegan alternatives to most things now. But does anyone know if there’s a medication that helps prevent migraines coming from food triggers? It’s surprising how many things contain eggs when you start looking! Maybe a food supplement that would help?

I don’t want to bother my gp at the minute with everything going on. It isn’t urgent. I’m just looking for some advice from anybody that might be the same?

Just wanted to follow this thread as I suffer badly with food triggered migraines too! I can’t eat white bread/certain breads, fresh orange juice, KFC (oh well😂), too much cheese and I never used to able to eat chocolate!

It’s mainly the bread that’s the worst as I’ve got older so I just a avoid massively!!
It’s literally the worst thing ever and nothing touches it! Sometimes for days on end so I feel your pain 100%!

I’ve tried tiger balm recently and that takes the slight edge off for 10 mins. I try to catch it before it becomes full blown but it can happen very suddenly! They even wake me up in the middle of the night 😖

Hopefully a fellow tattler can help us! 💗

I suffer from horrendous migraines. Have done for years. I’ve seen a neurologist about 10 years ago and since then I’ve been on sumatriptan injections for when I got an attack. I take a beta blocker slow release medication every day as a preventative measure and because my migraines are hormonal I also take a medication called pizotifen which is a antihistamine at bed times because it makes me drowsy, during my PMT week when I just feel all fuzzy and headachey. You know that feeling you get where one is imminent.

Its taken years and years of trial and error to find something that suits me, and on the whole my migraines are far more under control now than ever.

One thing the neurologist did suggest which sometimes if taken in good time can really take a huge edge of an attack and that’s simply 3x300mg dissolvable aspirin (a slightly higher dose than advised on the box) dissolved in a full sugary coke. The caffeine helps the tablets work quicker and they get dissolved through the lining of the stomach so work quicker than say taking other tablets. He explained to me that a true migraine shuts down your digestive system so whatever pain relief you take like anadin or whatever just sits in your stomach for the duration and this is what then causes the sickness associated with migraine.

Sorry for the long post but I hope what I’ve been told and described above helps someone because migraines really are the devil.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I suffer from horrendous migraines. Have done for years. I’ve seen a neurologist about 10 years ago and since then I’ve been on sumatriptan injections for when I got an attack. I take a beta blocker slow release medication every day as a preventative measure and because my migraines are hormonal I also take a medication called pizotifen which is a antihistamine at bed times because it makes me drowsy, during my PMT week when I just feel all fuzzy and headachey. You know that feeling you get where one is imminent.

Its taken years and years of trial and error to find something that suits me, and on the whole my migraines are far more under control now than ever.

One thing the neurologist did suggest which sometimes if taken in good time can really take a huge edge of an attack and that’s simply 3x300mg dissolvable aspirin (a slightly higher dose than advised on the box) dissolved in a full sugary coke. The caffeine helps the tablets work quicker and they get dissolved through the lining of the stomach so work quicker than say taking other tablets. He explained to me that a true migraine shuts down your digestive system so whatever pain relief you take like anadin or whatever just sits in your stomach for the duration and this is what then causes the sickness associated with migraine.

Sorry for the long post but I hope what I’ve been told and described above helps someone because migraines really are the devil.
Oooooohhhh that sounds interesting!! I will try that next time I suffer. I do get hormonal migraines too and I know exactly what you mean by the fuzziness!
I always know I’m hormonal when I feel like that!

Reactions: 1
I had chronic migraines for years.

Medication wise I found beta blockers helped (cant take them anymore as I now have a heart condition and the medication I take for that can't take both). I have also been given high dose aspirin with anti sickness.

I also found steroid injections and regular acupuncture in my skull and neck helped alot.

None medication wise my top tips:
I take full fat coke when I can feel it coming the mix of caffeine and sugar helps me.
Heat patch on the back of the neck and ice pack on forehead can help.

Good luck

I’ve tried the aspirin thing this morning and it’s definitely taken the edge off! Thank you for sharing this! 💗

• Heart
I’ve tried the aspirin thing this morning and it’s definitely taken the edge off! Thank you for sharing this! 💗
Brilliant news. I’m so glad it’s helped. Makes it much more bearable I find and sometimes can even get on with doing stuff as if you’ve got children and things you need to. Where as the migraine pain or strong medication leaves me unable to do anything. X

Brilliant news. I’m so glad it’s helped. Makes it much more bearable I find and sometimes can even get on with doing stuff as if you’ve got children and things you need to. Where as the migraine pain or strong medication leaves me unable to do anything. X
It’s definitely made it more manageable and I’m up and able to do more than I normally can when I have one! Felt like I’d been beaten over the head last night 😭🥴 xx

• Heart
Until you start talking about migraine headaches you don’t actually realise how many people suffer from them do you. I’ve suffered with them for about 10 years now, came to a peak 3 years ago when they basically controlled my life - this was my lowest point. Like many of you I’d worked my way through various different meds to try and find what worked best for me but what I struggled with most was the vomiting that could go on for 48hours and take 3 days to recover and then within a day or so another attack would flare up. Even Anti sickness meds were useless in the end. So now I’m on daily preventative tabs morning and night - which are in fact normally prescribed to those with Epilepsy to stop attacks - I guess it’s all linked - And they’ve given me back my life. I still have migraines but I can count them on one hand each month and they no longer make me sick and I can control them with strong pain killers. I believe mine are hereditary as both my dad and sister used to suffer bad with them but I’ve noticed mine are also linked to the time of the month too. I had a Merina coil fitted and I’m now on HRT so I’m interested to see if this will have any effect on them too.

Reactions: 3
Long-term hormonal migraine sufferer - sumitriptan, an anti-emetic, 900mg aspirin, ice pack and a long sleep in a pitch black room is the only solution for me. I usually lose a day or two sleeping but before that I was usually out for four days at a time.

The aspirin was recommended by a couple of separate people and I’m amazed at how it works.

I hope you get it under control cause it’s so debilitating. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2
I get migraines where the head pain is at least manageable (though it can vary) but my god, the nausea! 😷 Makes me feel so sick and nothing seems to relieve it until it decides to go away (which can last days). Currently suffering right now and I just feel awful.

Not worked out what my triggers are - sometimes it seems to be dehydration but sometimes I just have no idea. Doesn't help that I take medication now that can have withdrawal-like symptoms if you miss doses so now it's even harder to tell if it's a 'proper' migraine or because of that dose I missed two days earlier. 🤦

Reactions: 6
I’m being tortured with migraines at the minute. I have the permanent throb behind my eye. It’s bearable at the minute but gets worse.

My doctor told me about Aspirin but the Coke has never been mentioned, so I’ll try that. Thank you.

I have a telephone appointment with my GP on Thursday. She’s given me a migraine preventer, an anti-emetic and doubled my sumitriptan. But I can’t bloody get them! The script was faxed to the chemist inside Sainsbury’s. I’ve gone 4 times and there must be 200 bloody people queued to get in. I can’t stand for that long. There should be a separate queue for the chemist as I don’t need any shopping. Maybe I’ll be lucky with the queue today 🙄

I can’t find another food trigger apart from eggs. I’m drinking loads. Been wearing my glasses when I’m supposed to. I think my pillows might be a factor as I’m having a lot of neck pain. But I’ve bought like 10 different ones and can’t find a comfortable one. It’s hard as you don’t really know until you try and once you’ve used it to you can’t return.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I too suffer from hormonal migraines and 3 months ago I saw a neurologist. He recommended the B2 vitamin Riboflavin. I take 400mg every morning and have already noticed a difference in frequency and severity. He also suggested Asprin at the first sign of an attack. Good luck 🤞

• Wow
I suffered with them since I was in primary school and I'm now nearly 40. For me it's chocolate, milk, citric fruit including fruit juice, red wine and dehydration.
I have sumatriptan in tablet and injection form and buccastem for nausea. I've found Naproxen helps at the beginning with me but I'll try aspirin if I don't have any in. Never knew that!
I have water with a rehydration tablet in everyday (only from home bargains) and 2 if I can feel an attack coming on.
I've just had a mirena coil fitted so I'm hoping that helps as I'm sure they're hormonal. I've found vitamin b6 has helped a little so might be worth a try. I also sleep with a V-shaped pillow which has helped my neck alignment. They're just awful though and I'm so glad I'm not alone!

Reactions: 2
I think my migraines are mostly hormonal I do have some neck pain sometimes and notice an attack can happen after that. While seeing an osteopath for something else she worked on my neck, she said while it wouldn’t help for hormonal Migraines is can for mechanical ones, I did feel it made a difference.

I take triply aspirin but not tried with cola, will give that a try thanks. Always looking for new tips. I think it’s really hard to explain how debilitating they can be to people that haven’t experienced them and there are so many variations. I find doctors very dismissive. Thankfully I only get one or so a month but with a young child to look after it’s really hard to take the time to get a good sleep which helps me.

Sending hugs to all suffering just now xx

Basically the thing with the full fat coke is the caffeine will help get the aspirin to work quicker and I think the sugar helps in some way as well. Good luck to all hope it helps. I feel your pain it is the most debilitating pain

I too suffer from hormonal migraines and 3 months ago I saw a neurologist. He recommended the B2 vitamin Riboflavin. I take 400mg every morning and have already noticed a difference in frequency and severity. He also suggested Asprin at the first sign of an attack. Good luck 🤞
I am definitely going to get this if it’s reduced frequency! That’s fab thank you x

Wow, it seems like there’s a fair few of us in the same boat doesn’t it 😘
I'd like to think I am on the other side of the really bad part (I had nearly 18 months of daily ones) and now they only really crop up if thunderstorms or my trigger points are rock solid. So I can say to all, it does get better! Xx