Migraines

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve suffered with migraines near daily since my oldest was born 12 years ago , tried various things .

I was recently prescribed voltarol ampules to inject and they are the only thing that helps , migraine shifts within a hour

Reactions: 3
This is a great thread! I'm picking up so many tips to try. I am a long term migraine sufferer. Mine started in puberty and have a strong hormonal driver as well as other factors like stress and sometimes getting too hungry can make me ill, which is a total PITA as I need to lose weight!

I am a sumatriptan user too, it takes 200mg two days in a row to sort me out. I also have trigeminal neuralgia on the left side, which is the migraine side for me, so one attack can trigger another. For the TN I take gabapentin, its not great but I had an increasing allergic reaction to carbamazepine which was more effective, so I had to come off it.

My food trigger is oranges so I check labels very carefully. I have even discovered orange oil in sushi! The only time I get sick is if I have eaten it accidentally. Most of the time my problem is the pump in my head and I feel like I cannot move without excruciating pain so I have no choice but to rest and it makes you so angry as you feel like you are wasting your life and the migraine is controlling you. I have lost count of the special occasions and holidays migraine has ruined for me. I seem to get them at peak stress but if I take time off, that seems to release the floodgates too.

During the lockdown I have had really terrible headaches. I have seen a neurologist, who also recommended the 1000mg aspirin trick but not with Coca Cola and that made me puke immediately. I suppose I could try it again in the coke. Like everyone else a sugary snack or a dry biscuit or something seems to help medication absorption as does the caffeine.

The other thing I have had success with is a Cefaly. I bought it myself its not cheap and it really hurts when you wear it but you persist and it can break up a big cycle of headaches, like I have had in lockdown. It basically wears your trigeminal nerve out, so it's painful but effective.

I am really interested in exploring new vitamins so I will read with interest. I hear magnesium is good but I don't know the dosages.

I am also a big fan of an ice pack during a migraine. I buy the jelly ones from the chemist and keep loads in the freezer, when your head is delicate and you can feel the blood pumping and its agony the ice seems to oppose the pain and take the edge off. I like lavender wheat bags for TN as that pain is best soothed by heat. The other thing I try to do is distracting myself -e.g listening to something and trying to sleep, breathing techniques and baths flower remedy to calm myself down. I find if I get anxious and fight it it gets worse and theres only a limited time window that the sumatriptan is effective, and its also best to sleep the tablets off as they work better.

Hope this helps and will read everyone's with interest

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I take magnesium citrate 400mg daily and it’s really helped with the dizziness I used to get before a migraine 👍🏻

Reactions: 1
I have been getting migraines for just over 20 years. If I haven’t eaten properly I get them or lights at work can trigger. I started getting visual migraines a couple of years ago that and only have a migraine with full on pain a couple of times a year. I wouldn’t wish a migraine on anyone they are so debilitating.

Reactions: 2
I have suffered from migraines since a child, triggers are Coffee, Cheese, chocolate, citrus, and red wine. Had anti sickness tablets from the doctor. But usually the only thing that works is sleeping it off in a dark room and taking ibuprofen. Tiredness and stress makes them worse..... I have noticed I don’t have frequent outbreaks, but when I do get one it lasts for 5 days 😨😨

• Sad
Lifelong migraine sufferer here, sympathy to all fellow sufferers. I can vouch for the Coke trick, sometimes a really good strong latte makes my naproxen go down well too. Mine are caused by environmental factors (light, noise, smell) and I found a daith piercing made a big difference in terms of the daily pain. I still get migraines, but not as many as before. You can get acupunture dots that do the same apparently.

Reactions: 4
I suffered with debilitating migraines in my teens. My doctor at the time told me to avoid 'the 4 C's...cheese, chocolate, caffeine and citrus fruits. I was also on a drug called Sanomigran. I'm sure mine were hormone related too, I had not long started my periods but then I had amennorhea due to anorexia. I wouldn't say I get migraines now I'm older, just bad headaches, usually triggered by dehydration.

People are usually so dismissive whenever I mention migraines so it's so nice to see other people who get it! Not that I would wish a migraine on anyone, I just mean it's nice to be able to talk about it and be understood, hopefully that makes sense!

I've had migraines since I was around 15. I have found it impossible to work out my triggers. I will think I've pinpointed one, and then I get a migraine that can't be explained by that. I do think that lack of eating and extreme weather changes set them off for me though. Usually when I start to get the sense that one is coming, if I take an ibuprofen I can usually manage to stay at work and not be sick, but just feels like a horrific hangover. But if i don't take anything, once the migraine arrives properly then all that helps is sleep.

I suffer from Retinal Migraine, i was diagnosed about 12 years ago after my first episode scared the life out of me I was looking in the mirror and had a blind spot that spread to the point i could only see half my face, if I looked at our wall clock I could only see half the numbers or half the words on a page if I tried to read then after 30 mins it cleared but on seeing my doctor I was sent up to the hospital who confirmed it was migraine, i still feel all these years later that I can't 'trust' my vision and it's so horrible when I get an attack if I'm out and about or at work......Aura, Nausea and needing to wee loads nearly always feature in every migraine I get now 😖

I get ocular migraines, had a SUPER bad one last month which led to me being taken to hospital in an ambulance. Not fun. I go numb down one side usually but it goes away once the head pain kicks in and nausea but it didn't go this time. Couldn't see, speak or hear properly. Was the worst one I've ever had and i've had some bad ones. Started with them when I was a kid but they presented differently then and have only gotten worse. They last at least 2 days. Head pain, extreme neusea and vomiting that keeps me from being able to sleep, numbness down one side, sometimes both sides...

Paramedics were surprised by my meds. I'm on 80mg of propranolol. They suggested I see a neurologist which I haven't yet somehow so I think I'll try and do that soon. But with the pandemic I'm not sure when that will happen but I think it is definitely time I get a proper opinion rather than just another med adjustment from the GP

• Sad
As well as too much coffee, chocolate, cheese and Garlic strong smelling candles and diffusers can set my migraine off.

I had a subway st lunch, came home had a headache. Worked through it, now have a migraine & i’m in so much pain. Can not describe.

I’m so sorry to fellow sufferers ... they are horrible aren’t they!?

I’ve had migraines since I was 15 (I’m 30 now) I got them as a side effect of a surgery for my chronic health condition that effects the brain, the believe it’s from nerve damage. My neurologist tried every tablet but I had allergic reactions , I now have 3monthly Botox injections from the hospital and 9-12monthly nerve blocks. I’ve gone from 30 migraines a month to around 17-20 - I’ve along way to go but I can see the light . I also have red bull when the pain is bad (I think it’s a comfort thing now) it helps me function a little bit better. Pain killers etc don’t touch the pain plus I have reactions .

• Sad
I’ve been on toprimate/ topramax 150mg split 2x a day since 2015, pretty much stopped mine. It’s neurologist prescribed though.

I used to have the most horrific migraines several years ago. I tried sumitripan but it didn’t work for me. The only thing that helped was high dose ibuprofen (4 tablets as soon as I felt a migraine coming) and an anti-sickness nasal spray.

As for food, there are heaps of vegan alternatives to egg based foods. Maybe try the health food stores?

best of luck. My migraines were the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. I think if someone had offered to chop off my head while I was in the midst of an attack I’d have said yes!

I'm bringing this thread back to life!

I have always suffered with migraines, more now than ever. Particularly when the weather is bad. They usually come on in the middle of the night. Paracetamols do not help and I get very nauseous.

Anyway I have finally gotten a doctors appointment via phone call and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get some sort of medication for this.

Long term migraine sufferer. Couldn't pinpoint a cause at all.
Tried amitriptyline as a preventative but couldn't tolerate the side effects (spaced out and don't remember the 3 1/2 months I was on it). Also tried Topiramate and had the best few days but sadly had an allergic reaction and had to stop. I couldn't have Propanolol because of a history of asthma.
Wait time for first neurology appointment in Belfast is currently around 5 years so I went private to the most amazing neurologist. He listened carefully to my history, looked at my migraine diaries and did a thorough examination and concluded that I have C1/C2 hypomobility and should have a course of physio. He also prescribed me Celecoxib for two weeks to try and break the cycle and I also took Candesartan for 6 months.
After an intensive course of neck physio and Celecoxib and Candesartan, I am relatively migraine free. I have neck physio consisting of deep tissue massage and manipulation once a month and can nearly predict a migraine or two the week before physio is due. I now find during an attack that the pain in my neck is nearly worse than the pain in my head, and can sometimes be unbearable, but its worth it!
Sorry for the long post but when anyone talks to me about migraines I always point them in the direction of good certified neck and back physio!!

Reactions: 2