Migraines

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't take triptans, they make me extremely ill. The most effective treatment for me has been a monthly monoclonal antibody injection (ajovy) and 91 day cycle combination birth control pill. I've been migraine free for a year now which has honestly saved my life because of how severe, disabling and neverending & chronic my migraines are without treatment.

I had pharmacokinetic genetic testing done which helped my neurologist figure out treatment options. It's been a huge help with my other doctors as well, for other conditions; I highly recommend it if you can get it done.
I think I may fall into the same category as you. It’s the first time I have taken one and it absolutely did me in today. Awful Nausea, dry mouth, headache and head pressure, pressure in my neck and chest and weirdly I couldn’t regulate my body temperature. On top of this I have been completely spun out. Won’t take one again after this.

As this is about my 5th migraine in about 6 weeks I think I’m going to be referred to a headache clinic. Is this how you were able to get these shots? It’s frustrating as I can go for a year without one and then they just will randomly come but I’ve never had this frequency. I am lucky in as far as I don’t really suffer from pain with my migraines but I get terrible aura migraines. I get the typical flashing lights, black spots and swirling which largely affects my left eye and can make me virtually blind in one eye. With that I then feel absolutely knackered and just flat! It’s really tit. I have a hour commute to each way with my job going forward and it makes me so nervous as when I get these aura migraines I can’t drive!

i have been suffering with migraines for about 11 years now, it seemed to have stopped but they are coming back now.. sending hugs 💛

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Me again! Doctors have referred me to neurology and switched my sumatriptan to a nasal version which should help.

Has anyone ever been referred to neurology / headache clinic and can tell me what to expect?

I think I may fall into the same category as you. It’s the first time I have taken one and it absolutely did me in today. Awful Nausea, dry mouth, headache and head pressure, pressure in my neck and chest and weirdly I couldn’t regulate my body temperature. On top of this I have been completely spun out. Won’t take one again after this.

As this is about my 5th migraine in about 6 weeks I think I’m going to be referred to a headache clinic. Is this how you were able to get these shots? It’s frustrating as I can go for a year without one and then they just will randomly come but I’ve never had this frequency. I am lucky in as far as I don’t really suffer from pain with my migraines but I get terrible aura migraines. I get the typical flashing lights, black spots and swirling which largely affects my left eye and can make me virtually blind in one eye. With that I then feel absolutely knackered and just flat! It’s really tit. I have a hour commute to each way with my job going forward and it makes me so nervous as when I get these aura migraines I can’t drive!
I feel you 100% 2019 I started getting migraines with aura and it was awful. It would start as shadows in my vision then next thing you know I couldn't see at all. I got the prescription for the ajovy injections from my neurologist and have them delivered to my house through the pharmacy. My husband puts them in my arm for me, I can't bear to look at needles lol.

Me again! Doctors have referred me to neurology and switched my sumatriptan to a nasal version which should help.

Has anyone ever been referred to neurology / headache clinic and can tell me what to expect?
i was! sorry i have been to so many different clinics so i don't remember which is from neurology and which from otorhinolaryngology, but they told me it was a few different issues, with sinuses, my nose, some foreign body above my sinuses, allergies, stress, etc.
the neurologist i believe sent me to do an eeg and saw that i had right hemispheric epilepsy, i didn't have seizures but instead of that migraines (alongisde fainting often and insomnia), and he put me on antiepileptics for over a year. this made me lose a lot of weight and A LOT of hair which i never grew back. as soon as i stopped taking the antiepileptics, the migraines came back so they didn't properly treat them but only supressed them. so my main tip would be not to immediately start taking whatever they prescribe you if they do, but definitely look for a second opinion first

i was! sorry i have been to so many different clinics so i don't remember which is from neurology and which from otorhinolaryngology, but they told me it was a few different issues, with sinuses, my nose, some foreign body above my sinuses, allergies, stress, etc.
the neurologist i believe sent me to do an eeg and saw that i had right hemispheric epilepsy, i didn't have seizures but instead of that migraines (alongisde fainting often and insomnia), and he put me on antiepileptics for over a year. this made me lose a lot of weight and A LOT of hair which i never grew back. as soon as i stopped taking the antiepileptics, the migraines came back so they didn't properly treat them but only supressed them. so my main tip would be not to immediately start taking whatever they prescribe you if they do, but definitely look for a second opinion first
This is really helpful. Thank you. My migraines are not life debilitating by any means, I am lucky in that respect. But my concern is the frequency I have had of late is very unusual for me. I was offered beta blockers today but I categorically won’t take them due to my job - it’s just not viable. It’s hard because on one hand I’m like oh they are just aura and only last 45 mins but then on the other hand I just want to be confident it is literally just that. Particularly as at the moment I am extremely tired and sleeping about 10 hours a night and super, super deeply. I’m sorry to hear that they have started up and the issues you have had with hair loss. I can imagine that is really difficult for you. Sending you lots of good vibes and love x

I feel you 100% 2019 I started getting migraines with aura and it was awful. It would start as shadows in my vision then next thing you know I couldn't see at all. I got the prescription for the ajovy injections from my neurologist and have them delivered to my house through the pharmacy. My husband puts them in my arm for me, I can't bear to look at needles lol.
It’s terrible, it’s really interesting when you google what an aura migraines looks like as virtually every single picture is something I have suffered from. You’re husband is a good egg!!!x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
This is really helpful. Thank you. My migraines are not life debilitating by any means, I am lucky in that respect. But my concern is the frequency I have had of late is very unusual for me. I was offered beta blockers today but I categorically won’t take them due to my job - it’s just not viable. It’s hard because on one hand I’m like oh they are just aura and only last 45 mins but then on the other hand I just want to be confident it is literally just that. Particularly as at the moment I am extremely tired and sleeping about 10 hours a night and super, super deeply. I’m sorry to hear that they have started up and the issues you have had with hair loss. I can imagine that is really difficult for you. Sending you lots of good vibes and love x

It’s terrible, it’s really interesting when you google what an aura migraines looks like as virtually every single picture is something I have suffered from. You’re husband is a good egg!!!x
i'm happy to help! i think the worst is behind me, my migraines never came back as strong as they used to be, and my hair.. well, it takes less time to blowdry it 😂 sending love and hugs back!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Also suffer with chronic migraine. Currently receiving Botox to help prevent. Waiting to try the new calcitonin(?) injection.
People who think it’s “just a headache” have no idea! I can function with a headache.
Did you find the Botox injection helped? I was considering this!

Botox definitely helped in terms of reducing frequency and severity of the migraines. Interestingly I get a nosebleed just before a migraine and this goes away with the Botox.
It’s worth a try. Speak to your neurologist.