Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TheWitchIsBack

VIP Member
Long-term hormonal migraine sufferer - sumitriptan, an anti-emetic, 900mg aspirin, ice pack and a long sleep in a pitch black room is the only solution for me. I usually lose a day or two sleeping but before that I was usually out for four days at a time.

The aspirin was recommended by a couple of separate people and I’m amazed at how it works.

I hope you get it under control cause it’s so debilitating. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2
I have been getting migraines for just over 20 years. If I haven’t eaten properly I get them or lights at work can trigger. I started getting visual migraines a couple of years ago that and only have a migraine with full on pain a couple of times a year. I wouldn’t wish a migraine on anyone they are so debilitating.

Reactions: 2

blackmasque

I can't take triptans, they make me extremely ill. The most effective treatment for me has been a monthly monoclonal antibody injection (ajovy) and 91 day cycle combination birth control pill. I've been migraine free for a year now which has honestly saved my life because of how severe, disabling and neverending & chronic my migraines are without treatment.

I had pharmacokinetic genetic testing done which helped my neurologist figure out treatment options. It's been a huge help with my other doctors as well, for other conditions; I highly recommend it if you can get it done.

Reactions: 1

KateToTheParty

I’ve been on toprimate/ topramax 150mg split 2x a day since 2015, pretty much stopped mine. It’s neurologist prescribed though.

lilblinder

I suffer from Retinal Migraine, i was diagnosed about 12 years ago after my first episode scared the life out of me I was looking in the mirror and had a blind spot that spread to the point i could only see half my face, if I looked at our wall clock I could only see half the numbers or half the words on a page if I tried to read then after 30 mins it cleared but on seeing my doctor I was sent up to the hospital who confirmed it was migraine, i still feel all these years later that I can't 'trust' my vision and it's so horrible when I get an attack if I'm out and about or at work......Aura, Nausea and needing to wee loads nearly always feature in every migraine I get now 😖

KfBr

VIP Member
I suffer from horrendous migraines. Have done for years. I’ve seen a neurologist about 10 years ago and since then I’ve been on sumatriptan injections for when I got an attack. I take a beta blocker slow release medication every day as a preventative measure and because my migraines are hormonal I also take a medication called pizotifen which is a antihistamine at bed times because it makes me drowsy, during my PMT week when I just feel all fuzzy and headachey. You know that feeling you get where one is imminent.

Its taken years and years of trial and error to find something that suits me, and on the whole my migraines are far more under control now than ever.

One thing the neurologist did suggest which sometimes if taken in good time can really take a huge edge of an attack and that’s simply 3x300mg dissolvable aspirin (a slightly higher dose than advised on the box) dissolved in a full sugary coke. The caffeine helps the tablets work quicker and they get dissolved through the lining of the stomach so work quicker than say taking other tablets. He explained to me that a true migraine shuts down your digestive system so whatever pain relief you take like anadin or whatever just sits in your stomach for the duration and this is what then causes the sickness associated with migraine.

Sorry for the long post but I hope what I’ve been told and described above helps someone because migraines really are the devil.
Oooooohhhh that sounds interesting!! I will try that next time I suffer. I do get hormonal migraines too and I know exactly what you mean by the fuzziness!
I always know I’m hormonal when I feel like that!

bolimepipi

VIP Member
This is really helpful. Thank you. My migraines are not life debilitating by any means, I am lucky in that respect. But my concern is the frequency I have had of late is very unusual for me. I was offered beta blockers today but I categorically won’t take them due to my job - it’s just not viable. It’s hard because on one hand I’m like oh they are just aura and only last 45 mins but then on the other hand I just want to be confident it is literally just that. Particularly as at the moment I am extremely tired and sleeping about 10 hours a night and super, super deeply. I’m sorry to hear that they have started up and the issues you have had with hair loss. I can imagine that is really difficult for you. Sending you lots of good vibes and love x

It’s terrible, it’s really interesting when you google what an aura migraines looks like as virtually every single picture is something I have suffered from. You’re husband is a good egg!!!x
i'm happy to help! i think the worst is behind me, my migraines never came back as strong as they used to be, and my hair.. well, it takes less time to blowdry it 😂 sending love and hugs back!

• Heart

Shoegal17

VIP Member
I take magnesium citrate 400mg daily and it’s really helped with the dizziness I used to get before a migraine 👍🏻

Been really struggling with migraines of late. I’ve had 4 in the last 7 weeks. I’ve taken sumatriptan for the first time today and it’s made me feel super sick but also very weirdly spaced out and...high. Is this normal?!
It is normal and quite a common side effect when taking it, do you have tablet or spray form?

bolimepipi

VIP Member
i have been suffering with migraines for about 11 years now, it seemed to have stopped but they are coming back now.. sending hugs 💛

• Heart

coconochanel

VIP Member
As well as too much coffee, chocolate, cheese and Garlic strong smelling candles and diffusers can set my migraine off.

Countrybumpkingirl

Chatty Member
I had chronic migraines for years.

Medication wise I found beta blockers helped (cant take them anymore as I now have a heart condition and the medication I take for that can't take both). I have also been given high dose aspirin with anti sickness.

I also found steroid injections and regular acupuncture in my skull and neck helped alot.

None medication wise my top tips:
I take full fat coke when I can feel it coming the mix of caffeine and sugar helps me.
Heat patch on the back of the neck and ice pack on forehead can help.

Good luck

KfBr

VIP Member
I suffer from horrendous migraines. Have done for years. I’ve seen a neurologist about 10 years ago and since then I’ve been on sumatriptan injections for when I got an attack. I take a beta blocker slow release medication every day as a preventative measure and because my migraines are hormonal I also take a medication called pizotifen which is a antihistamine at bed times because it makes me drowsy, during my PMT week when I just feel all fuzzy and headachey. You know that feeling you get where one is imminent.

Its taken years and years of trial and error to find something that suits me, and on the whole my migraines are far more under control now than ever.

One thing the neurologist did suggest which sometimes if taken in good time can really take a huge edge of an attack and that’s simply 3x300mg dissolvable aspirin (a slightly higher dose than advised on the box) dissolved in a full sugary coke. The caffeine helps the tablets work quicker and they get dissolved through the lining of the stomach so work quicker than say taking other tablets. He explained to me that a true migraine shuts down your digestive system so whatever pain relief you take like anadin or whatever just sits in your stomach for the duration and this is what then causes the sickness associated with migraine.

Sorry for the long post but I hope what I’ve been told and described above helps someone because migraines really are the devil.
I’ve tried the aspirin thing this morning and it’s definitely taken the edge off! Thank you for sharing this! 💗

• Heart

Yayitsavaliable

I’m so sorry to fellow sufferers ... they are horrible aren’t they!?

I’ve had migraines since I was 15 (I’m 30 now) I got them as a side effect of a surgery for my chronic health condition that effects the brain, the believe it’s from nerve damage. My neurologist tried every tablet but I had allergic reactions , I now have 3monthly Botox injections from the hospital and 9-12monthly nerve blocks. I’ve gone from 30 migraines a month to around 17-20 - I’ve along way to go but I can see the light . I also have red bull when the pain is bad (I think it’s a comfort thing now) it helps me function a little bit better. Pain killers etc don’t touch the pain plus I have reactions .

• Sad