Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Aabbcc

My baby is 1 so too young to really understand but my intentions are:

One gift (& stocking) from Santa. Any others from family - I don’t agree with everything being from Santa, how do you answer why some children get more and others get less? Being naughty and nice has NOTHING to do with it.

I’m not intending to do elf on the shelf or any other such nonsense. Aside from the fact that it’s an Americanism “for the ‘gram” that I don’t agree with, I don’t see how an elf that causes mischief around the house is exactly modelling good behaviour to a child when the purpose is that it keeps watch over the child to report to Santa each night whether they are being naughty or nice.

Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read.
Also a board game for the family to play together (probably for the older child)

I think I’d like to encourage my children to donate some old toys/clothes/books etc in the run up to Christmas because a) it helps to clear out space and b) it helps teach charity.

The one thing I quite liked that I saw on Pinterest is where the presents are stacked in boxes one smaller than the rest and wrapped so they look like a Christmas tree/snowman/Santa etc which I think I quite like the idea of, although not sure how it would work in practise.

We also do church in the morning. When I was younger we had to wait until after church before we could open presents, or we could open one present before and the rest after. I haven’t really decided what my intentions are with that yet.

Generally speaking we either have a meal with my family on Christmas Eve/day or Boxing Day depending on when my brother and his family visit. Then it depends on my partners family and where they are. Sometimes we do a little get together for his brother’s birthday which is Boxing Day.

We’re still building traditions and it’s early days for our little family but my main goal is to try not to overspend on the children. The older child who is only interested in whether he gets the new xbox game he wants has his birthday at the start of December so it’s tough to have two lots of presents for him sometimes. I guess that’s part of the reason that I want to try to encourage minimal spending overall. We usually pick him up from his mum’s later on in the afternoon on Christmas Day and he spends the night and Boxing Day with us.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Notfazed

We do elf on the shelf, Pinterest is good for inspiration. The only problem I have is usually when I'm in bed for the night I remember I forgot to do the bloody thing. The kids love him though. Also don't get your kids to name the elf as my son has named his snow jinglebells man 🙄
We always spend the day the morning at ours and then take it in turns each year to either go to my sisters, mums or ours for Xmas Dinner. So we only have the hassle of cooking the dinner every 3 years. Boxing day we go to the FILs.
We always try and put the tree up on the 2nd of December as my father passed away on the 1st so doesn't feel right to do it that day.
We do stockings for the kids and fill it with cheap stuff and 1 big present from Father Christmas. All the rest of the presents are from mummy and daddy.

Reactions: 2

grumpy-nosy-cow

VIP Member
Anyone have any tips on telling people you want to stop buying gifts? I’ve SO many to buy for and have broached before but they all want to continue!
i used to buy for all our close friends children until one year i totted up just how much it was costing us and i was coming to an end on a FTC job. I just sent a nice text well in advance of the big day to them all saying hoping people wouldnt be offended but would they mind if we stopped buying presents at xmas & just continue to buy birthday presents.
im not tight and i love buying gifts for children but it became harder & harder to buy for my own children as friends would club together and buy big gifts that they wanted. Everyone was OK with it and one friend commented she wished she could stop it too! .

Reactions: 1

TheMotherHen-Kathryn

Me and my friends usually do a Christmas Day out, theatre trip/zoo lates etc, however I’ve busy every weekend before Christmas so instead of going out, they’re coming round whilst I dog sit (the owners are family friends so don’t mind) and I’m doing a full Christmas dinner and may just have to get the M&S Christmas version of Colin the caterpillar
This sounds so lovely! And it’s what Christmas is all about spending time together 🙌🏻

D

Deleted member

Does anyone else get really annoyed at buying lots of nice gifts for people and getting rubbish in return? I’m not talking about people who can’t afford it, I’m not at all well off, the people I buy for are and I either get cheap stuff or joint presents from entire families when I buy for each person?!
Yup. I always feel I get the shitty end of the stick when it comes to gifts generally. I remember once I work,I got handed a voucher for a shop I wouldnt even shop in when I make sure I get someone something they’ll love

Bluetomato

I come from a family that used to put the tree up on Christmas Eve night 😂😂
When we came along (the kids) it would go up around the 18.

Now we’re the “adults” tree goes up the weekend closest to the 16/17 ish.
It’s a fake, it always has to be fake, can’t be doing with a dodgy ass tree 🤣🤣

You’ve just described my idea of hell 🤣🤣🤣

80’s decorations!!!!! 😍😍
View attachment 43507View attachment 43508
omg I love these decs! My dad used to hang them all over the downstairs of our house, much to my mums delight 😂

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Oops, I posted that photo from my phone and didn't realise quite how MASSIVE it was until I looked on the laptop just now.

Sorry! ☺

• Haha

TheMotherHen-Kathryn

My husband refused to acknowledge Christmas until December 1st but every year I manage to get the tree earlier by a couple of days. This year it’s booked in for November 23rd 🤣

Pi

Picky food at Christmas is the best!! We go to M&S and buy a ton of appetisers and canapés. So so good!
That’s a fab idea! We are planning M&S too and a local market to us does the most amazing tapenade 🤤 As long as I have bread and tapenade I’m happy 😂😂

coconochanel

VIP Member
I would ideally like to find a dentist in my stocking that could actually locate the source of the pain I have been experiencing since FEBRUARY which has reached a crescendo over the last week 😪 or I would like some molten brown and an hotel chocolat dipping box
I hope you get your tooth sorted out soon.

I love a bit of Hotel choclat ive bought the Christmas chocolate box to share with the family on Christmas day.

RaMOANa

Well my brood will be 28, 26 and 20 this Christmas but they know mommabear loves Christmas on a Zoella scale so they humour me. On Christmas Eve they (including partners that may be there) STILL have a bath, new PJs, put out Rudolph magic food (oats and glitter) read Twas the Night Before Christmas and are in bed by 10pm.

Once asleep (no peeking or he wont come) Santa arrives and leaves magic footprints from the fire to the tree (flour and glitter and the other half in wellies, stomping around the room grumbling "im not hoovering this shit up)) and then the door to the room gets gift wrapped so no-one can come down and have a cheeky sneak peak. The lovely children then get me up at 5am "He's Been!" (i say Children, its me, with Jingle bells)

The only difference is; rather than dash downstairs i receive a few expletives and then they dash downstairs and instead of having to build barbie houses and scalextrix they play drinking roulette and are wrecked by 10am, they refuse to come to Mass with me and see baby Jesus and then the rest of the day I am in the kitchen (also wrecked) ruining a turkey and dancing to Now Christmas! 5pm everyone has passed out.

8pm wake up to watch 'Enders and crack open the baileys. Drinking games resume.

Bliss. I frigging LOVE it.
This will be my plan in future!! We are coming to the end of the big man but I’m not giving in the 11 year old is afraid to bring it up but I still have my baby 9 for a year or two some of my favourite Christmas memories at home were when were were late teens/early 20’s best one was a storm no power we all went to the pub went home and attacked the ham by candle light 😂 Christmas Eve definitely the best part

coconochanel

VIP Member
Good thread. My family take it in turns to host Christmas dinner and this year its my mums turn so we are all going to hers. I'm in charge of bringing the dessert we always get two and like a none chocolate opinion as you eat enough chocolate at Christmas.

My tip would be if you can buy your main presents early as I bought a perfume set from John Lewis in late November and when I went back a few weeks later they had put the price up by £15.

• Wow

Horatio

VIP Member
I don’t think I’ll be getting one this year but growing up it was probably the most exciting party of Christmas for me, waking up to that at the end of my bed. I used to lie awake very seriously marvelling at how amazing it was Father Christmas managed to get around the whole world.

Usually it was full of sweets and small toys, great when you’re a kid. One year i desperately wanted a puppy and wrote a letter to Santa explaining how he could leave it at the end of my bed. Of course I didn’t get one but I did get a stuffed toy character from 101 Dalmatians, ‘rolly’ the fat one, and that was almost as good.