Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tree_

VIP Member
I come from a family that used to put the tree up on Christmas Eve night šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
When we came along (the kids) it would go up around the 18.

Now weā€™re the ā€œadultsā€ tree goes up the weekend closest to the 16/17 ish.
Itā€™s a fake, it always has to be fake, canā€™t be doing with a dodgy ass tree šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Youā€™ve just described my idea of hell šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

80ā€™s decorations!!!!! šŸ˜šŸ˜
View attachment 43507View attachment 43508
Lol. I think I'm in the minority with my coloured trees. I just love them. Love others classy trees but they just aren't me

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Lars Guinard

VIP Member
Love this thread. Really enjoy reading about other peopleā€™s traditions and how they come about and just views on buying presents. Great to know others feel that not everything is from Santa.
My eldest two just want money, the middle ones are at a sceptical age and I think last year the game was up concerning the existence of Santa and the link to the North Pole and my youngest ones are too young to really know what is going on... just me waving the ā€˜Santa stop hereā€™ sign.
We always opened one present on Christmas Eve before bedtime, I suppose in a bid to deter us waking extra early on Christmas Day.
We always visit my parents house for Christmas and I think this year I may just break tradition and stay at home rather than transporting the children and all the presents and everything else I overpack...I just need to break it to my family, any tips welcome.
Thank @liarliarliar Off to sign up to hotukdeals and hopefully start on the present buying.

I did ask my children about a ā€˜themeā€™ for the Christmas tree this year and we are going with the traditional ā€˜PawPatrol lightsā€™ with ā€˜like, erm...cute rose gold or a pink, feathers and stuffā€™ and ā€˜a LOL doll on the topā€™...Well, I have until the 1st of December to persuade them otherwise. :ROFLMAO:

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
he tree always goes up on the 1st of December every year
I come from a family that used to put the tree up on Christmas Eve night šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
When we came along (the kids) it would go up around the 18.

Now weā€™re the ā€œadultsā€ tree goes up the weekend closest to the 16/17 ish.
Itā€™s a fake, it always has to be fake, canā€™t be doing with a dodgy ass tree šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

multi coloured fibre optic
Youā€™ve just described my idea of hell šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Last year i rediscovered foil ceiling decs
80ā€™s decorations!!!!! šŸ˜šŸ˜
C57C33D5-7CE0-4C40-9CFF-AF176016DB20.jpeg D6B0D403-F87F-4FD4-8E1B-3E2AC9D6C956.jpeg

• Heart
Does anyone else get really annoyed at buying lots of nice gifts for people and getting rubbish in return? Iā€™m not talking about people who canā€™t afford it, Iā€™m not at all well off, the people I buy for are and I either get cheap stuff or joint presents from entire families when I buy for each person?!
I agree, I'd rather get nothing than some tat that I have no use for. My in-laws are very good at giving me absolute shite while they buy each other fantastic presents. Some of it my be my fault as they do ask what I want and I just say surprise me BUT who's going to say "yea, I'd love that Ā£200 purse" etc

Looney toons

Best Christmas I've had started 3 years ago, i stopped putting decorations up, didn't do a meal, i ate what i wanted when i wanted, i work every Christmas day at some point either late, early or the night. I still buy presents and like to receive. I have a partner and parents, no children so I'm not alone. Since i stopped 80% of doing Christmas im so so chilled with it all. I don't hate it, it just doesn't bother me at all. Point im making is do what you want.(i realise its difficult with kiddies) i stopped bowing to pressure to do what is expected at Christmas. Now I go to mass on xmas eve, cheese and biscuits maybe for dinner, and go to work to earn double in the blue light sector. that's it. No gutting the house through on xmas eve and then putting it all away again 2nd January. For those celebrating, i wish you a good one though. Life is about each to their own right.

MrsA1234

Glad this thread has been revived at a perfect time for me. My annual leave at work has just been approved for 2 weeks off over Christmas! Our traditions are more social events. A daytime ā€˜partyā€™ with family friends the week before Christmas where someone dresses up as Santa and hands out presents for everyone - toddlers and their parents! Then we all go to the pub on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day we alternate every year between my parentsā€™ and my husbandā€™s parents but itā€™s always a quiet one. Looking forward to having children and getting the xmas excitement back into our lives

• Heart
Reactions: 3

YouDeserveWow

We have a new tradition over the last couple of years of only buying for 1 person to keep costs down. It's almost like secret Santa but it's not a secret šŸ˜‚ we have a 1 year old this year and I have no idea what to get her so any tips would be gratefully received!!
I always try and make sure we put our tree up on the 1st December but depends on my husbands shifts. We always listen to christmas music and eat quality street whilst we do it.
Christmas Eve is "prep" day. Literally just get everything ready and then have a few drinks and watch Christmas films.
We always get up super early on Christmas Day (although now I'm a mum it's actually just the time we normally get up šŸ˜‚) and open a few presents. Stop at 8:30ish for bucks fizz and croissants. Carry on until we finish opening presents and then make lunch. After lunch is games and then buffet tea and more games. We've never had the tv on Christmas Day unless it was for the Queen's speech but this year with Gavin & Stacey coming back we might have to break that rule šŸ™ˆ Christmas is honestly my favourite time of year to be around family šŸ’œ
Would people recommend Elf on the Shelf? Was considering doing it (not yet coz she's too little imo) but I've heard a lot of parents moaning about it šŸ˜‚

I prefer to get the presents around this sort of time. Last year I did all the presents last minute and it was all rushed and panicky. I prefer being all set and ready with the presents.

Mrs Cucumber

VIP Member
We've stopped buying for adults on my husband side in the family due to this! One neice is in their late 30's quite well off but all everyone got was a box of foxes biscuits, another neice is late 20's and her name just goes on her mum's presents depsite being a teacher! We just do under 18's now

My husband refused to acknowledge Christmas until December 1st but every year I manage to get the tree earlier by a couple of days. This year itā€™s booked in for November 23rd šŸ¤£

Pi
My husband and I have just had a major rethink about Christmas this year and here is what we are doing.....
Due to our younger two kids last year having a complete come down after the excitement of Christmas morning the dinner was letā€™s just say not enjoyable.

So we are switching it up this year we are having a Christmas buffet on Christmas Day. Loads of yummy food, picky plates and there will be no set eating time just food on the table and the kids and us can graze and fill out plates when we want.

Then Boxing Day we will have our sit down Christmas dinner at a local hotel. Itā€™s cheaper and will be a lovely family day out.

Trying to keep it as stress free as possible and Iā€™m really looking forward to getting in all the yummy food for our buffet!
Picky food at Christmas is the best!! We go to M&S and buy a ton of appetisers and canapƩs. So so good!

Vera Stanhope

Chatty Member
Does anyone else get really annoyed at buying lots of nice gifts for people and getting rubbish in return? Iā€™m not talking about people who canā€™t afford it, Iā€™m not at all well off, the people I buy for are and I either get cheap stuff or joint presents from entire families when I buy for each person?!
Every year we get rubbish gifts from my MIL. She's not hard up... she's just mean when it comes to anyone but herself!
Each year she tells us what she wants such as designer slippers or a handbag and in return we get chocolates or biscuits that she's so obviously won in a raffle of been gifted and doesn't like. The boxes are always bashed or show signs of wear and tear and some have even been opened and secured back down with sellotape. šŸ¤¬

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Haha

Hereforthehottea

VIP Member
We've stopped buying for adults on my husband side in the family due to this! One neice is in their late 30's quite well off but all everyone got was a box of foxes biscuits, another neice is late 20's and her name just goes on her mum's presents depsite being a teacher! We just do under 18's now
Itā€™s hurtful isnā€™t it! Iā€™m going to suggest again that we stop and if they say no again Iā€™ll just buy something joint and they can share it between their three homes haha. (I wonā€™t cos Iā€™m soft)

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
Every year I say Iā€™m going to be organised...and it never happens. Weā€™ve just found out that my husbands amazing colleague who doesnā€™t celebrate Christmas is going to cover his shifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day (and Iā€™m not going to lie, I may have cried). We always put up our tree on the 1st but after last year Iā€™m looking at a way to secure it from 2 toddler tornadoes!

We donā€™t have many traditions yet as our kids are only 2 years and 2 months but we will do one main gift from Santa each then the rest from us. We do tend to go all out at Christmas though and I canā€™t wait.

RaMOANa

I love Christmas! Decorating will be done a little early (First weekend of December) this year as we have guests the following week usually the run up is really busy with work, nights out, kids events etc so I try to get as much done as I can beforehand so Iā€™ll make the sausage meat stuffing and freeze. Christmas Eve we will have pancakes for breakfast clean the house prep all the veg with enough for Boxing Day we will go to a Christmas service that evening and a few friends and family will call for a drink that night all in bed early for Santa and up at crack of dawn. Kids wonā€™t open presents without us šŸŽ…šŸ¼ I usually do dinner for up to 15 people so far this year itā€™s just 8 then everyone relaxes for the evening my in laws will call over Christmas night. Boxing Day is a lazy movie day I donā€™t go near sales I donā€™t care if they are giving stuff away free in next Iā€™m not moving from my bed before dawn for anyone! Other than that we do a family games night some evening between Christmas and new year again about 15 people for tea, we will also have a night at my sister in laws.
I however, hate new year as early January is my sister anniversary and I would gladly go to bed rather than go to the pub to the false cheer and fake happy new year hugs so usually we go to my best friends house for the evening and all home before 12 to ring in new year in our own house just the 4 of us Kids allowed to stay up and then sleep in our king size bed as a treat mind you we may need to rethink that as they get bigger šŸ˜‚

Rose91

Chatty Member
We have a new tradition over the last couple of years of only buying for 1 person to keep costs down. It's almost like secret Santa but it's not a secret šŸ˜‚
My family do this, then we buy my mum and dad a joint present between me, my brothers and sister. Makes things so much easier.

Iā€™ve been going to my aunties and grandad for Christmas since I was 10, but this year Iā€™ll be with my auntie and Nanny as my grandad sadly passed away in July.

We do a Xmas eve party at my other auntie and uncles and Boxing Day sale.

Shopping hack - we save all our nectar points through the year then use them towards the food shop. We also find ordering and collecting the food gives you extra points. Also get PJā€™s etc. When Sainsburyā€™s have their 25% off clothing

Definitelyme

VIP Member
Anyone have any tips on telling people you want to stop buying gifts? Iā€™ve SO many to buy for and have broached before but they all want to continue!
Simply say ā€œwe have so much already we donā€™t want any gifts this year. And because of that, we wonā€™t be buying any either.ā€ And remind regularly ā€œremember we arenā€™t doing any gifts this year so if you buy us one youā€™ll get nothing in returnā€.

If itā€™s family maybe suggest secret Santa so everyone still gets a gift but itā€™s easier to manage

Hereforthehottea

VIP Member
Anyone have any tips on telling people you want to stop buying gifts? Iā€™ve SO many to buy for and have broached before but they all want to continue!

LasVegas702

VIP Member
Favorite food Christmas Eve is gumbo with crab, chicken, shrimp and sausage. And Christmas Day honey baked ham, turkey, cornbread dressing, dirty rice, collard greens, sweet potatoe pie.

My husband and I moved to Canada a few years ago and now live far away from both of our families. We've been spending Christmas at home and making our own traditions since then, which has been really nice.

I tend to make a largish meal, and we survive on leftovers for days. It is a mish-mash of American, British, and Canadian foods. We go for long walks in the afternoon and play games to entertain ourselves.

We tend to send small packages to our families with various Canadian goodies for them to share on Christmas day. It is a lot easier than continuing the normal gift-giving, and everyone probably enjoys it more.