Melanie Murphy #17 The first woman ever to have ever been pregnant. Ever.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Video recap for those that can’t suffer through:

1.More garden content = Melanie making Thomas eat a blackberry from the garden as a disposable sacrificial lamb because she doesn’t think it’s safe to do so. Thomas wants her to get back to the kitchen to make marmalade (jam?). She eventually eats one in the wilds of the garden to the sounds of traffic and disgust. He bought her a slutty grandma garden gnome for her birthday. She thinks it embodies her perfectly.

2 Sticks up an exact floor plan of the house. 🤦🏼‍♀️

3. Discusses carpet moth infestation. She had noticed all the larvae round the house but just hoovered them up oblivious. Only when they started to eat the bedsheets off the floor bed ( on the disgusting moth eaten carpet) did she think that maybe something was up. She has sorted the problem by bulk buying the cheapest carpet in the showroom (sponso) which is the same colour and texture of a used bathmat. She thinks the beige carpet will match well to her preferred colour of paint, also beige. Tries to sell a rolled up lawn chair cushion of a mattress ( matching foam strip pillows guUYssss). She thinks a unique selling point for it is the fact that the 3 inches of recycled rubber perfectly muffle the sound of disappointing sex. Target market for the 200euro mattress is the masses of people who have to act like a teenagers in a house they paid over half a million euros for.

4. Tommy takeover. He mispronounces “hearth” repeatedly. He shows all the savings that can be made by shopping in the sticks. Doesn’t rightly know where Loughrea is but it’s a great place to get an overpriced mini stove apparently. Also Donegal lads will deliver anything anywhere for half nothing. WHO KNEW LADS. That 200 euro saving should go a long way. Might cover the cost of the half dozen Yankee candles Mel has to buy a week to cover the smell of rot in the place.

5. They have to replace all the windows but it’s worth it because they found a newspaper that’s older than Thomas and it fuels Melanie’s Harry Potter fantasies. Everything is cheaper in the past. Again WHO KNEW!

6. Next door neighbours are building a house right up against their boundary hedge which is going to be overlooking their garden and directly in the roof of the conservatory. Not exactly the escape to the country vibes Melanie was going for but hey ho.

7. Even with Thomas and his dad doing the majority of the work they have spent 20 grand on what is essentially gutting the place. She’s worried about all the outgoings - again bringing up Thomas student loans ( lest we forget) - but she’s determined to do it on the cheap. She wants to remind the less fortunates that renovating a house isn’t all glamour. Also let’s everyone know what they will be selling the couch and the dresser ( points them out) so keep an eye out on done deal for Thomas's phone number.

TL: DR - they were conned into buying a moth infested, overlooked damp riddled wreck of a bungalow. Thomas is just odd. Melanie is miserly and the most pregnant any woman has ever been at 22 weeks.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Video recap for those that can’t suffer through:

1.More garden content = Melanie making Thomas eat a blackberry from the garden as a disposable sacrificial lamb because she doesn’t think it’s safe to do so. Thomas wants her to get back to the kitchen to make marmalade (jam?). She eventually eats one in the wilds of the garden to the sounds of traffic and disgust. He bought her a slutty grandma garden gnome for her birthday. She thinks it embodies her perfectly.

2 Sticks up an exact floor plan of the house. 🤦🏼‍♀️

3. Discusses carpet moth infestation. She had noticed all the larvae round the house but just hoovered them up oblivious. Only when they started to eat the bedsheets off the floor bed ( on the disgusting moth eaten carpet) did she think that maybe something was up. She has sorted the problem by bulk buying the cheapest carpet in the showroom (sponso) which is the same colour and texture of a used bathmat. She thinks the beige carpet will match well to her preferred colour of paint, also beige. Tries to sell a rolled up lawn chair cushion of a mattress ( matching foam strip pillows guUYssss). She thinks a unique selling point for it is the fact that the 3 inches of recycled rubber perfectly muffle the sound of disappointing sex. Target market for the 200euro mattress is the masses of people who have to act like a teenagers in a house they paid over half a million euros for.

4. Tommy takeover. He mispronounces “hearth” repeatedly. He shows all the savings that can be made by shopping in the sticks. Doesn’t rightly know where Loughrea is but it’s a great place to get an overpriced mini stove apparently. Also Donegal lads will deliver anything anywhere for half nothing. WHO KNEW LADS. That 200 euro saving should go a long way. Might cover the cost of the half dozen Yankee candles Mel has to buy a week to cover the smell of rot in the place.

5. They have to replace all the windows but it’s worth it because they found a newspaper that’s older than Thomas and it fuels Melanie’s Harry Potter fantasies. Everything is cheaper in the past. Again WHO KNEW!

6. Next door neighbours are building a house right up against their boundary hedge which is going to be overlooking their garden and directly in the roof of the conservatory. Not exactly the escape to the country vibes Melanie was going for but hey ho.

7. Even with Thomas and his dad doing the majority of the work they have spent 20 grand on what is essentially gutting the place. She’s worried about all the outgoings - again bringing up Thomas student loans ( lest we forget) - but she’s determined to do it on the cheap. She wants to remind the less fortunates that renovating a house isn’t all glamour. Also let’s everyone know what they will be selling the couch and the dresser ( points them out) so keep an eye out on done deal for Thomas's phone number.

TL: DR - they were conned into buying a moth infested, overlooked damp riddled wreck of a bungalow. Thomas is just odd. Melanie is miserly and the most pregnant any woman has ever been at 22 weeks.
Thank you, there was no way I was willing to sit through it.

Reactions: 8
God, I love watching home renovation videos usually, but Melanie's are really stressing me out. In a way it makes me feel better about not being able to afford a house haha, at least my rented apartment has nice wooden floors and zero moths.

It just seems like they have to do such an overwhelming amount to that house, you know? Every single room has to be renovated, they replaced the fireplace, they've had a mold problem and a moth problem, they're adding a new layer to the roof, they've had to replace windows, remove and replace pipes in the floor... she keeps saying it's an "older" or "oldish" house but it doesn't seem like a house from the 1970s is old enough to justify all this, if you get what I mean? I feel like if I was going to buy an old house to fix up, I'd want an actually old, classic, elegant house. 1970s feels recent enough that I'd expect it to be in a bit better shape.

I guess in this market you can't be choosy with houses. But still, wow. I can't tell if this is a normal amount of renovation that everyone goes through (because I have no experience with homeowning), but it seems exhausting to me.

Reactions: 22
At the time she bought it the smugness she had about the fact that they made the offer of the asking and were accepted immediately was insane. She put it down to their “luck” in meeting the owners and that they had chosen her to carry on the care of a much loved family home. It clearly wasn’t that. They saw them coming a mile off. No one in their right mind would pay that money for that house. It’s a complete money pit. They’ll have another 150 grand spent on it by the time they have the planning sorted, the roof done and the damp sorted. The granny flat will never be done.

She could have had a beautiful house in turnkey condition for that money if she hadn’t been so slavish to the postcode. It’s absolutely insane. They are going to be mortgaged up to the hilt for years. At the end of the day it is a three (and a bit) bedroom house that she has two kids, her and Thomas, and her dad in. It’s cramped already, even before you have the neighbours gawping in the conservatory roof at them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24
I refuse to believe that people willingly ask for "Tommy takeover". No one subscribed to look at his ugly smarmy face. It messes with my serenity.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
At the time she bought it the smugness she had about the fact that they made the offer of the asking and were accepted immediately was insane. She put it down to their “luck” in meeting the owners and that they had chosen her to carry on the care of a much loved family home. It clearly wasn’t that. They saw them coming a mile off. No one in their right mind would pay that money for that house. It’s a complete money pit. They’ll have another 150 grand spent on it by the time they have the planning sorted, the roof done and the damp sorted. The granny flat will never be done.

She could have had a beautiful house in turnkey condition for that money if she hadn’t been so slavish to the postcode. It’s absolutely insane. They are going to be mortgaged up to the hilt for years. At the end of the day it is a three (and a bit) bedroom house that she has two kids, her and Thomas, and her dad in. It’s cramped already, even before you have the neighbours gawping in the conservatory roof at them.
Most people would run away from this house after seeing the surveyor’s report, I’m sure it showed many flaws of the house. The only good things about it are that it has some land and it’s a big house. But it’s mostly a shell of the house and everything inside it needs to be updated. With current prices, it makes a lot more sense to buy a house that requires minimal work.
The postcode of the house is not even good, Balbriggan is right next to Skerries but it has a lot worse reputation and people say it’s very rough.
She could have bought a much better semi d house if she wasn’t so caught up on the idea of the older detached house and having enough land for her dads granny flat.
They will be renovating for years. I don’t know how they’ll manage with a new baby and a 2 year old.

Reactions: 11
1.More garden content = Melanie making Thomas eat a blackberry from the garden as a disposable sacrificial lamb because she doesn’t think it’s safe to do so. Thomas wants her to get back to the kitchen to make marmalade (jam?).
Might be the odd one out here in that I'm still a fan of Mel, but I found Thomas' jam comment a bit strange? Not in isolation, but he's said a few things in the past year where he seems to have some idealized picture in his head of what Mel should do. In the pregnancy Q&A video, he seemed to be angling for a home birth, which is weird considering how much medical attention her last one needed. I remember a while back he also wanted her to fit back into her wedding dress from before she was pregnant, which is like... sure, it's a nice dress, but if her body's changed from making a baby, then maybe just support her if she needs a new dress?

Digging up ancient history, but it was just another comment that rubbed me the wrong way.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Might be the odd one out here in that I'm still a fan of Mel, but I found Thomas' jam comment a bit strange? Not in isolation, but he's said a few things in the past year where he seems to have some idealized picture in his head of what Mel should do. In the pregnancy Q&A video, he seemed to be angling for a home birth, which is weird considering how much medical attention her last one needed. I remember a while back he also wanted her to fit back into her wedding dress from before she was pregnant, which is like... sure, it's a nice dress, but if her body's changed from making a baby, then maybe just support her if she needs a new dress?

Digging up ancient history, but it was just another comment that rubbed me the wrong way.
He really comes across as sexist, doesn’t he. Or maybe he’s just a bit thick? Like he thinks really linear, “oh she was stressed at the hospital, we should just do it at home”.

He wants a load of kids but works as a pilot. I think over time his lack of consideration is going to break Mel down.

• Heart
I can't see that house ever being worth as much as they spent on it.
They are right on the outskirts of town now but it won't be long before those fields behind them are developed. She is also directly opposite a very rough looking estate with more planned for the field down the road. She'll be surrounded by estates in no time.

Keep an eye out for the moment the ball drops about the trees surrounding the house. They are Leilandii, absolutely enormous very fast growing trees. If you don't keep on top of the trimming you are left with a big brown hole in the side. They will all need digging up in the next 5 years before they swallow the house, and that alone is a massive job.

Reactions: 7
Things are not so perfect in the Den of the most fertile couple in Ireland.
I actually feel sorry for her. I also can imagine Thomas being insensitive with what he says which probably makes depression worse. I can only see it getting worse postpartum because it is a very overwhelming time.
I have a 3 year old and a baby and it’s tough, especially the first few months after birth were so so hard. Thankfully my husband works from home and we share the load.
With Thomas being absent and the house being renovated, it’s a recipe for disaster

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I actually feel sorry for her. I also can imagine Thomas being insensitive with what he says which probably makes depression worse. I can only see it getting worse postpartum because it is a very overwhelming time.
I have a 3 year old and a baby and it’s tough, especially the first few months after birth were so so hard. Thankfully my husband works from home and we share the load.
With Thomas being absent and the house being renovated, it’s a recipe for disaster
I'd never wish perinatal depression on anyone. I had it and it was horrendous. I do think until you have a rough pregnancy regardless of what that means you won't really 'get' it so I'm hoping now she's having a rough time she will stop with her smug posts about pregnancy/fertility and have a bit more consideration for others. Pregnancy is NOT the lovely, glowy, social media perfect time for everyone. If you are that lucky then fabulous but don't shove it down people's throats 24/7.

• Heart
Ugh yeah I feel for her on this. It makes perfect sense that pregnancy is extra hard on her in the situation she’s in now. I already know pregnancy/having a newborn would probably be hard on my mental health because of my existing anxiety, so if I do have children I’d want to make sure my home is organized, clean and comfortable first, so I could keep some of my routines. Obviously you can’t control everything in life, sometimes you just have to make the most of your circumstances. But having a safe space to come home to can be so important for good mental health. Going through pregnancy in a chaotic renovation site sounds like my nightmare. I really hope she can feel better/more peaceful soon.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Feel very sorry for her reading this. It reads as very genuine and I hope she’s in touch with a perinatal care team to talk about how she’s feeling.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Sorry now but I/we all saw this coming a million miles away. Insta vs reality pet, literally.

Sorry now but I/we all saw this coming a million miles away. Insta vs reality pet, literally.
Indeed! Was about to say the same thing.. all this “everything is SO PERFECT, I’m living my ULTIMATE DREAM” instantly made my alarm bells go off. Happy people don’t constantly proclaim how happy they are.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Hate to be blunt, but what on earth was she expecting? She must have known for a fact that all these factors lumped together would be difficult and cause a hell of a lot of stress - they would on someone who isn't pregnant, let alone someone who is, when pregnancy is difficult enough. She's just constantly thinking miles ahead, and how wonderful and perfect everything will look to people online, without thinking out the processes to these things and the cons behind them. Pilot husband = working away often, an *old, Irish* bungalow = renovations needed, wanting a million kids running around said bungalow = having to care for them and pregnant with them during all these things, along with work, other family etc. Like, in one of her recent videos her and Thomas were already talking about the kids being older so they can go travelling.
I also hate to say this but given her track record of claiming to have all the illnesses and ailments (physical and mental) under the sun, most of them turning out to be bullshit eg. the whole PCOS thing, and thats just the tip of the iceberg - I really wouldn't be surprised if shes exaggerating.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Hate to be blunt, but what on earth was she expecting? She must have known for a fact that all these factors lumped together would be difficult and cause a hell of a lot of stress - they would on someone who isn't pregnant, let alone someone who is, when pregnancy is difficult enough. She's just constantly thinking miles ahead, and how wonderful and perfect everything will look to people online, without thinking out the processes to these things and the cons behind them. Pilot husband = working away often, an *old, Irish* bungalow = renovations needed, wanting a million kids running around said bungalow = having to care for them and pregnant with them during all these things, along with work, other family etc. Like, in one of her recent videos her and Thomas were already talking about the kids being older so they can go travelling.
I also hate to say this but given her track record of claiming to have all the illnesses and ailments (physical and mental) under the sun, most of them turning out to be bullshit eg. the whole PCOS thing, and thats just the tip of the iceberg - I really wouldn't be surprised if shes exaggerating.

This post sums it up perfectly. She's been shitting on and on about how happy she is and how perfect things are for months while telling everyone how real is always is online???

Genuinely I just don't think Melanie is used to having to struggle or juggle life like the rest of us. She went from living with her dad to then living and depending on Shane to living in a rent free attic to then live in the 'real world' at 33. Something the majority of us have lived in and depended on ourselves since our twenties. She's only experiencing real life now... And let's be honest she works part time in a job that pays her extremely well for never having to leave her bedroom.

I took from her stories (the mentioning of Thomas twice) in the way she did was just sheer resentment and her co dependency issues pointing the blame at Thomas. Mel hates when things aren't about Mel and she constantly needs to centre herself. Guilt tripping.

Yeah home Reno's aren't easy. Pregnancy isn't easy but it's something the majority of us have to juggle whilst actually working full time and caring for a family we all just get on with it.

It's like everything else with Mel. There has to be a diagnosis for her issues instead of just sitting down with herself and realising she's just extremely sheltered and expects everything to be done for her/things to fall into her lap. She's never had to experience real life until now and that's shocking.

When Mel feels like the focus isn't on her she self diagnoses. What's new.

ETA - she feels tit and doesn't post because she isolates herself waiting around on her husband to come home on repeat.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Melanie does seem to be firmly in control at this point. Her office was the first to be done, she's picking all the flooring and furnishings..it's interesting that Thomas doesn't even know how much they have spent so far (Melanie said at least 20 grand, so it's probably more like 30).

He's worrying about saving 200 quid on a stove to heat the house, while she's out buying dresses for a grand again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Melanie does seem to be firmly in control at this point. Her office was the first to be done, she's picking all the flooring and furnishings..it's interesting that Thomas doesn't even know how much they have spent so far (Melanie said at least 20 grand, so it's probably more like 30).

He's worrying about saving 200 quid on a stove to heat the house, while she's out buying dresses for a grand again.

The office of all things took precedence over let's say getting her son's room in order to transition him and establishing a good sleeping routine. Instead he will be wedged in between Melanie and Thomas and a newborn crying every few hours for a feed. Even getting their own bedroom done first I would understand but an office for a no effort video she might put out once every two weeks?

Reactions: 9
I remember feeling incredibly depressed after my child was born, and feeling incredibly frustrated with myself for feeling so, and I remember my mother sitting me down and asking me was it “depression” or was it an entirely reasonable emotional response to a massive upheaval in my life. This weirdly made it easier to deal with because it allowed me to identify small day to day things which helped. I think if you weren’t stressed and low having to deal with a renovation, a toddler and a partner that is away all the time it would be a level of zen that would be borderline psychotic.

It’s good she has identified it. It’s good that she has said it and allowed the people in her life to be aware of it . The problem with Mel always was her constant need to present herself as the perfect mammy and for her to come out and say she’s struggling is brave- even I have to hand it to her. And I hate to be that asshole but it might give her some awareness of the struggles of other mothers. Motherhood isn’t all cuddles on the couch watching Disney movies. It is hard and a juggling act. The massive change in the support she had from the previous pregnancy to this one must be really hard to deal with particularly because I don’t think she ever realised how fortunate that support was. I hope she does feel better soon, sincerely.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.