Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

justheretoread99

VIP Member
Making sure your primer/moisturiser and foundation have the same base. (E.g if you primer is water based then use a water base foundation. Or if your primer is silicone based then use a silicone base foundation)

Using a dampened beauty blender when applying foundation. And when applying concealer, pat it into the skin. Don’t swipe it as it will leave lines. Also when applying under the eyes, look up to slightly stretch the skin, this will avoid creasing and makeup setting in the under eye lines.

Always apply bronzer, contour and blush above the hollows/cheekbones to lift the face. Anything below the cheekbones will drag the face down.

If you wear eyeshadow use an eye primer. “The P-Louise Base” is the absolute best in the business and makes al colours and glitters pop!
Dark shadow in the eye socket/crease and a lighter colour or shimmer/glitter on the lid.

Blue eyes - use warm tones, oranges, coppers, browns and gold. Makes the eyes pop!

Brown/dark eyes - Brown, plum, purple, green and khaki tones.

Face and setting powder - LESS IS MORE!

Mascara - use ones that have small bristles on the wand. Smaller bristles coat every lash and avoids clumpyness. My favourite is L’Oreal Million Lashes.

If you have oily skin use a mattefying setting spray and if you have dry skin use a dewy finish setting spray.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

House of Tea

VIP Member
Will have a look for the foundation stick in Primark next time I’m in, can’t fault any of their beauty products. Also haven’t used Hoola in a couple years so will look for their new ones too😍
I used to collect nail polishes, thankfully I am out of the other side now. I used to have 300 plus at one point. I used to hunt down rare shades. I spent part of a trip to New York trying to find a particular limited edition Marc Jacob shade which was not available here. Sad cow. I tried high street polishes, the professional nail companies ones, and expensive designer ones. My verdict at the end of this madness. The best ones are OPI, Maybelline 7 Days (might be called Stay something now, limited shade range though) and Primark for a quid. The Primark are better than the Chanels, Diors, Nails Inc, Butter London etc.

I now have 10 polishes. They are all Primark and Maybelline. I have not polished fingers or toes for 18 months. I don’t miss it.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14

House of Tea

VIP Member
Setting spray. The Rolls Royce for me is Urban Decay All Nighter. You can buy a travel size if you want to try it out. It is quite expensive, but it does set the make up so well.

A cheaper version is the ELF one in the black spray. Almost as good as UD but cheap.

Reactions: 11

jarv

VIP Member
Laura mercier translucent setting powder, it's the one make up item I won't consider using a cheaper alternative for.

Reactions: 10

Walnutss

VIP Member
Theres alot of charlotte tilbury love on this thread but I dont agree. It is so overpriced and not that great. For an amazing setting powder try airspun, its lighter than air good for mature skin. As for eyeshadow I dont rate CT. Colorpop is the best imo. Yes it had to be shipped here but it's not expensive. Dont let the "childish" packaging put u off. Their super shock eyeshadow are the best thing I've ever tried.
If you find the IT cc cream expensive elf has a really good dupe.
If you want a brown eyeliner Barry m does a brown liquid one. Tho if its pencil it's never staying tho I do recommend good old fashioned rimmel lip liners included, cappuccino is a beautiful colour.

Aaaand breathe 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
So, I'm refreshing my makeup bag and previously asked for foundation recommendations for the over-40's.

Now I wonder if anyone could give me their makeup game changers? Basically, one WOW item that stopped you buying different brands and that you have stuck with because its so good.

Especially interested in anything that is really good value for money and not ultra expensive 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 6

House of Tea

VIP Member
  1. God I wish I could get a sample of it! I'd pay if it delivered on its claims!!
    Might be able to pay for a sample on eBay. That’s what I do. I have made so many wasteful blind purchases that I try and get a sample these days, even if I have to pay. It has saved me £s.

under the ivy

VIP Member
Any suggestions for a moisturising primer? 🙂

Laura Mercier translucent powder
Chanel soleil de tan
Nars creamy concealer

^ nothing comes close to them for me

Welshgal

VIP Member
Using a primer under my makeup has been a huge game changer for me. I suffer from dry skin so it really helps with applying my makeup but I‘ve also noticed a change in the length of it looking „nice“.

I use the FaceStudio one from Maybellone in blue ☺

• Heart

Scorpihoe

VIP Member

Chanel soleil de tan
Nars creamy concealer

the bobbi brown vitamin enriched face base is fab, mines nearly run out so I’m not looking forward to buying it again, it’s so expensive 😭

Practically Perfect

Chatty Member
I've never used a translucent setting powder. Someone gave me a pot once that I literally only used one time as it gave my face a weird sheen. I looked really sweaty in photos 😂 What is it that makes the Laura Mercier one so good as I'm interested in starting to use a recommended one.
Try not to use powder or use it sparingley as we older gals cant hack it - makes us look older

Cream products work best on us - I am nearly 50 with dry skin and i use:

foundation: IT Cosmetics CC cream
Concealer: Collection or Make up Revolution Conceal and Hydrate - stay away from the heavy ones like Tarte Shape Tape it will hagger you (been there done it)
Bronzer: Soleil Tan De Chanel (is good but expensive)
Blush: Milk cream blush in werk
Highlighter - Benefit Dandlion Twinkle
Lips - Mac Liner in Whirl and use Too Face Lip injection as a gloss

If i have to use powder I use Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish

• Heart

TJ90

VIP Member

Chanel soleil de tan
Nars creamy concealer

Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched face base. It’s fabulous. It isn’t cheap but loads of ‘influncers’ seem to have a Look Fantastic discount code

Reactions: 5

Base2019

VIP Member
I've never used a translucent setting powder. Someone gave me a pot once that I literally only used one time as it gave my face a weird sheen. I looked really sweaty in photos 😂 What is it that makes the Laura Mercier one so good as I'm interested in starting to use a recommended one.
It’s excellent, very finely milled and no white cast. Basically fool proof.

Eureka

VIP Member
Does anyone know where you can get sample sizes of these products? I don't mind spending money on something that works for me but I don't want to pay through the nose for something that ends up not suiting me.

noseybirdxo

VIP Member
I’m really struggling with super dry skin at the moment, I put foundation on today for the first time in ages and had to take it straight off again as it was clinging to every dry patch, any recommendations that aren’t vastly expensive?
Oh I love a recommendation for a good moisturiser. Very dry skin, all my usuals don’t seem to be working anymore. Ideally something not too scented. Just made myself finish a tub of loccitaine (or however it’s spelt) purely because it cost me so much but it was so scented it would sting sometimes.
Weleda skin food. It’s a lovely rich moisturiser designed for dry skin. It’s made a massive difference to my skin and when I wear make up, and it’s meant to be very similar to the bobbi brown enriched face base that everyone raves about under make up.

Lana.lee

Chatty Member
People reference Maybelline mascaras all the time. Is there one that gives a natural look plus does not budge? I use a tubing mascara that does all that but looking for a cheaper brand.
Maybelline - Lash Sensational, it's in a pink tube