Magazines - still popular? Plus magazine nostalgia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So many memories coming back to me while reading this thread! I still remember buying my first copy of Sugar and J17 as an early teen and feeling so grown up. Had to hide it from my mum! šŸ¤£ I remember they had a series of books they gave away free that Iā€™d love to re-read now for the nostalgia! I think it was called Diary of a Crush?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Did anyone else read Sally Bramptonā€™s advice pages in Sunday Times Style magazine? I read them religiously. Iā€™m still shocked at her suicide in 2016. She quite literally ā€œgot in the seaā€. Horrendous. Her writing was incredible - at times life changing for me.
I used to read her column in Psychologies magazine. They printed that she had died but it was only after I Googled that I found out how. Quite a shock. Her columns could be dark yet so life affirming.

So many memories coming back to me while reading this thread! I still remember buying my first copy of Sugar and J17 as an early teen and feeling so grown up. Had to hide it from my mum! šŸ¤£ I remember they had a series of books they gave away free that Iā€™d love to re-read now for the nostalgia! I think it was called Diary of a Crush?
Oh I loved Diary of a Crush, Dylan and Edie.
---
---

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Remember when it was just 17 and was changed to j17 as literally everyone who read ut was way younger than 17 šŸ¤£ the sealed sections in magazines were always hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Remember when it was just 17 and was changed to j17 as literally everyone who read ut was way younger than 17 šŸ¤£ the sealed sections in magazines were always hilarious
I forgot about the sealed section! šŸ˜‚

• Haha
I forgot about the sealed section! šŸ˜‚
I remember once when I was about 13 and one of my parents removing it (secretly) and they just feigned ignorance šŸ¤£ they only told me much later as an adult they though it was inappropriate šŸ¤£

• Haha
My first magazines were The Animals of Farthing Wood, collected them all! (Hope I'm not the only one to remember them!) Then went onto Big, Smash Hits, ToTP etc!

Used to buy a magazine or 2 for holidays. Only ever buy Hello if its Royal related!

Inside Soap fanatic, buying it every week for a good 20 years!
I remember collecting all of the Farthing Wood magazines in huge, heavy folders! I donā€™t know why because I wasnā€™t interested in the story at the start of every magazine and never watched the TV shows of it.

Then I went to Art Magic or something like that which was really good but then our local post office just stopped stocking it.

I had all the Cosmo girl, Sugar, Bliss magazines as a teen and then Cosmo when I was at college. I occasionally picked up Closer magazine if I had an appointment or had missed the bus and needed something to pass the time.

Itā€™s been years since I read a magazine and Iā€™m surprised they still exist. Darenā€™t even think how much they cost now though!

Anyone remember any awful freebies? I remember one of the Sugar/Bliss types had a free halter neck top. When I opened the packet it was cheap see through black material, short and probably would fit a size 6. Not really ideal for the target market!

Reactions: 3
Smash hits, Big magazine, Top of the pops, heat. Imagine having to wait a week for the next celeb gossip. Its on tap now.

I bought Heat magazine a few weeks ago havenā€™t bought it for years. I think I remember first buying it when I was a new mother in 1999, I remember Andy from Big Brother was on the cover šŸ˜† anyhoo all the celeb gossip in it I was interested in Iā€™d already read on Tattle! Itā€™s a shame really that magazines are disappearing, itā€™s nice to have an actual physical magazine to read instead of looking at a phone/tablet/laptop etc.

Edited to say it might have been 2000, the early years were a bit of a blur she never slept!

The free samples were always a bonus too with the more grown up magazines. Free samples still pop up on the Web pages of magazines, usually cosmopolitan or Vogue.

I started off with Twinkle magazine back in the early 80ā€™s. Then, Jackie, Just Seventeen, and onto More and Heat with the occasional OK thrown in.

Hardly ever buy any these days. Occasionally a Gardeners World magazine if there are some free seeds! You can tell I am older and more boring šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My older sisters - followed by me- adored Jackie magazine. One of them thought she was fat ( she was no such thing) and decided to follow weight loss recommendations courtesy of Jackie. That led to a lifelong and severe eating disorder. She died from it recently. I miss her every day. šŸ’”

• Sad
Reactions: 7
My older sisters - followed by me- adored Jackie magazine. One of them thought she was fat ( she was no such thing) and decided to follow weight loss recommendations courtesy of Jackie. That led to a lifelong and severe eating disorder. She died from it recently. I miss her every day. šŸ’”
Iā€™m sorry hun :(

Thatā€™s one thing I think has got better, thereā€™s less eating disorder and diet and body talk in mags these days

• Heart
This TikTok rubbish has killed magazines and actual journalism :( I spoke to someone at a broadsheet who writes regular travel articles and heā€™s about to be out of a job as the new travel journalists are TikTokers

its a definite shift towards video rather than written content!

How is cosmopolitan still hanging on like a limpet in print? All this looks shite ( not just cos it makes me feel old as I donā€™t vape or have tiktok so am obvs not a ā€˜cosmopolitan girlā€™ any more šŸ˜‚

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Dont know if anyone remembers it, I used to buy a magazine called family circle. You used to be able to pick it up by supermarket checkouts and it had recipes and home type articles. Stopped buying it years ago and it seems to have disappeared now.
I subscribed to readers digest some months ago but truth known I havent read any all the way through so that's getting cancelled.
My dad used to get Readers Digest in the 70's and 80's, I recall reading an article about the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan by a Jodie Foster fan (I think!). Takes me back a bit.

Reactions: 2
Readers Digest was an excellent mag. It could keep me occupied for hours. There was a lot of information there.

I remember collecting all of the Farthing Wood magazines in huge, heavy folders! I donā€™t know why because I wasnā€™t interested in the story at the start of every magazine and never watched the TV shows of it.

Then I went to Art Magic or something like that which was really good but then our local post office just stopped stocking it.

I had all the Cosmo girl, Sugar, Bliss magazines as a teen and then Cosmo when I was at college. I occasionally picked up Closer magazine if I had an appointment or had missed the bus and needed something to pass the time.

Itā€™s been years since I read a magazine and Iā€™m surprised they still exist. Darenā€™t even think how much they cost now though!

Anyone remember any awful freebies? I remember one of the Sugar/Bliss types had a free halter neck top. When I opened the packet it was cheap see through black material, short and probably would fit a size 6. Not really ideal for the target market!
Triggered by Farthing Wood! The shrike was a recipe for life long psychological damage šŸ˜‚
---
Triggered by Farthing Wood! The shrike was a recipe for life long psychological damage šŸ˜‚
Case in point: