Magazines - still popular? Plus magazine nostalgia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Influenced by the 00s nostalgia thread and also the likes of Lucy Meck and co who still get OK magazine deals to announce names of new baby.

I used to love magazines like Closer, New, OK etc but I think the last time I bought one and read one just have been about 8-10 years ago now. I don’t know why but they just don’t seem… relevant? asI’ve got older. I don’t really know anybody who buys them these days.

I do think they are perhaps not as popular anymore. The general aim of these magazines was to slam ‘celebs’ in their bikinis for gaining a few pounds (thankfully body shaming isn’t really the done things anymore). Also I guess with the rise of social media and news sites it’s easy to get updates without paying.

But, I still see them on the shelves so, tell me, are you a magazine fan? Have you noticed a shift in their content as opposed to times gone by? Also which ones did you used to read? Share some funny articles and reminisce here 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Used to buy Grazia, stopped in 2010.
Still read it on-line from time to time.

Reactions: 6
I hardly ever buy magazines anymore as you can all the fashion and makeup inspo on IG etc. Plus they are about £4 each which is a rip off.

Reactions: 9
I used to buy Disney&me when i was a child.

I don’t buy or wouldn’t pay for anything now when you can download some of them for free from the library too.

Reactions: 1
I used to LOVE magazines.

When I was a teenager it was ToTP, Smash Hits, Bliss and Cosmo Girl, then went on to New, Heat etc every week, and also Glamour, Cosmo, Company etc monthly.

Stopped buying gossip mags when I stopped caring about any of the celebrities, and also after realising that 99 percent of the stories are bollocks. In the early 00s New would do a weekly roundup of a celebrity outfit and where you could buy lookalikes, I would rinse my pocket money in MKOne after the latest outfit from Holly Valance etc. So fun.

Stopped getting monthlies when they stopped giving away half decent freebies! You used to get full sized Benefit makeup being given away and I'd buy more than one to get the different things.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Only time I read magazines are if I’m bored in the hairdressers or a dentist/doctors waiting room!

i liked Look magazine. Used to read closer and reveal as well. All the news is on the phone now though for free

did love an Inside soap magazine for all the spoilers 😂 my mum still gets the what’s on tv

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I used to read more back in the day and closer, garazia and Look magazine. I only ever buy a magazine now if I’m going into hospital or on holiday. My mum also her the tv magazine and then tells me everything that’s going to happen the next week.

Reactions: 2
I used to read every magazine going, even trashy ones like 'love it' where there'd be random stories like 'My dad is actually my mum'. But I never buy them anymore and haven't done for about 12 years.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I remember reading Sugar and Shout as a teen also I liked Heat/Closer/Glamour etc but I think these have definitely become less relevant over the last 10 years due to social media particularly instagram.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I only ever buy magazines if im flying. Used to buy them all the time as a teen though.

I just got total magazine nostalgia when I was in the shop earlier today. I was queuing next to a stand that had Woman's Weekly on. My mum got that , and I used to read it after she'd finished.

I only ever buy a TV guide at Christmas.

Reactions: 4
Used to love reading my mum's Prima and Good Housekeeping when I was a teen 🤫 I think there was another one too - Essentials? Also my nan's Take A Break! :censored: I've only ever bought a handful of magazines myself as an adult, I think as others have said, with everything online now there's not really a need. A lot of them are free on the Libby app from the library, or even on Amazon Prime, but it's not the same reading on a device I don't think.

Reactions: 8
TOTP & Smash Hits magazines used to have the most random pieces in. I remember once where Geri Halliwell told us how to make the perfect cup of tea 😊

• Haha
Reactions: 13
As a child I used to love the Doctor Who Adventures magazine, I used to get it every fortnight. I also read all my mother’s Chat, Take a Break etc, when I was waaaayyy too young to realise what half the stories were about. I still like them now but I’d only really read them if I was on holiday or in hospital or something like that!

Reactions: 1
like most in this thread so far, i really only buy magazines if i’m travelling. and then it’s mainly the celeb trashy ones! i used to love reading empire back in the day but i think it’s about £5 now.

i used to love mizz and sugar. and the series of books that sugar brought out that i can’t remember the name of now.

the turkish love rat specials that take a break used to do kept my university house entertained for many an evening though. they always started with the woman saying “i’d read about love rats in take a break before, but i KNEW my fabio was different”. the same story in a hundred different ways 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I have loved magazines from a young age - Fast Forward anyone?

Then from the age of 6 to about 11-12 years it was Horse and Pony magazine. Occasional Smash Hits.
I bought one issue of Your Dog or something that led to me getting a poem published in a book (there was an ad for submissions in it).
12-16-ish years I loved Looks and was so upset when it was discontinued. Your Horse sometimes. TOTP.

From 16-23 it was all the other fashion mags - Elle was my fave but I also got Vogue, Glamour, Cosmo, inStyle, Marie Claire. Also music mags - Kerrang, NME, Q, Rock Sound Etc.
Zest

23 years onwards I got into crafting so you can imagine all the crafting supplies I got free with mags.
I started buying Look every week because it reminded me of the aforementioned Looks.
Went through phases of buying Good Food, living etc

These days I buy trashy magazines each week because I enter the competitions in them - Take a Break, That's Life, Love It and Chat; the monthly TaB and That's Life issues. Occasional fashion magazine but no interest in them anymore. Good Food if there's a nice cake on the front. Those home style magazines if something on the cover catches my eye. Sewing/crafting magazines if the free patterns/gifts are nice.

TL:DR I was a magazine fiend, nowadays not so much but still fond of them.

(My dad loved a magazine too so I think I caught it off him).

• Heart
Reactions: 11
When I was younger I would read TOTP, Smash Hits, CDUK, Shout (which I can't believe is still going now), Mizz, Sugar, Bliss, and Sneak (remember that). When I got older I would get More, Look, Heat, Closer, Now, Reveal, Grazia, New, Cosmo, Glamour, and Company when they were on offer.
I can't remember the last time I bought a magazine, but Readly keep giving me free trials, so I still look through Hello, OK, and Heat now. I wouldn't pay for them though, when I bought them I felt like I had to read every page even if I wasn't interested in the content, but now I just flick through them.
I remember Heat used to do the Circle of Shame, which was basically body shaming 😬

Reactions: 11