Magazines - still popular? Plus magazine nostalgia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Dont know if anyone remembers it, I used to buy a magazine called family circle. You used to be able to pick it up by supermarket checkouts and it had recipes and home type articles. Stopped buying it years ago and it seems to have disappeared now.
I subscribed to readers digest some months ago but truth known I havent read any all the way through so that's getting cancelled.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Yes I remember Family Circle. I can see it now in my mind's eye. Not the most exciting of magazines but practical and sensible.

Reactions: 3
My sister buys Vogue every month and takes it in the bath with a bottle of champagne. This is her once a month Friday ritual. She keeps all the copies and has a collection going back to the Eighties.

I haven’t read a magazine in years. I avoided them in the house because I didn’t want my daughter being affected by silly slimming, beauty and fashion articles. It sounds a bit OTT but I was definitely affected by my mother’s weight loss mags. Slimming magazine use massive close-ups of forbidden food eg cheesecake and print a host of other foods which all together had the same calories as the cheesecake slice. Fried food and butter wee considered evil.
To this day I’ve never eaten cheesecake and avoid butter like the plague.
Magazines can be very powerful.
Tell your sister she is my hero ❤

• Heart
I used to be a fairly regular magazine buyer. Remember regularly pestering for Mizz, Sugar etc. As an older teen it was all about Heat. “We’re going to London, to buy heat magazine” still lives in my head rent free!

Most recently (pre-covid) I bought Hello regularly, it is a totally pointless read but the predictable format gives a certain sense of familiarity and comfort which is a total guilty pleasure.

Today I have two pre-school age children and naff all time for magazines 😭

Reactions: 4
I think I got all of my sex education from these magazines and from reading Dear Deidre in the sun 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I used to be an avid reader of Smash Hits. I also read J17, Mizz, Sugar, Shout, Fast Forward, and Big! When I was older I liked More and Company. I don’t often buy or read mags now (unless there’s something I specifically want to read) I might occasionally read Woman or Heat though. I always browse the mags in WH Smith though, just in case there’s something worth reading. I tried subscribing to Woman and Home just before Christmas but I couldn’t get on with it so cancelled the subscription.

I bought a magazine called Woman’s Way when I was on holiday in Dublin recently and I did enjoy that- I read it on the plane home and I was so engrossed in it I didn’t even notice the plane taking off (husband was astonished. I’m normally an absolute wreck on a plane, particularly on takeoff)

Husband reads Air Force monthly (aeroplane mag, he’s obsessed with planes) and drives me mental as he takes weeks to read it then he reads it again!

I used to be a fairly regular magazine buyer. Remember regularly pestering for Mizz, Sugar etc. As an older teen it was all about Heat. “We’re going to London, to buy heat magazine” still lives in my head rent free!

Most recently (pre-covid) I bought Hello regularly, it is a totally pointless read but the predictable format gives a certain sense of familiarity and comfort which is a total guilty pleasure.

Today I have two pre-school age children and naff all time for magazines 😭
I used to live for a Tuesday when I was younger, I’d buy Heat & a bar of chocolate on my lunch break at work & read it in the bath. It was my Tuesday ritual.

Reactions: 9
Dont know if anyone remembers it, I used to buy a magazine called family circle. You used to be able to pick it up by supermarket checkouts and it had recipes and home type articles. Stopped buying it years ago and it seems to have disappeared now.
I subscribed to readers digest some months ago but truth known I havent read any all the way through so that's getting cancelled.
I remember it! My mum used to have a standing order at the bookshop for a bundle of magazines and I used to get so excited when they arrived in, as my mum would make scones on a Sunday afternoon then sit down and read through them all. She also got The Australian Women's Weekly, New Idea, and something else (can't remember it now); my sister would get Oh Boy! and My Guy. I wasn't allowed to read my sister's magazines as I was too young, but would sneak a peek occasionally :LOL:.

Family Circle (Australian edition) was a victim of Covid, along with so many other titles.

I like to buy the occasional House and Garden-type magazines ... there's something very satisfying about holding a book or magazine rather than looking it up online. I did have an online magazine subscription for a while ("Readly") but I didn't really use it so cancelled it.

My first magazines were The Animals of Farthing Wood, collected them all! (Hope I'm not the only one to remember them!) Then went onto Big, Smash Hits, ToTP etc!

Used to buy a magazine or 2 for holidays. Only ever buy Hello if its Royal related!

Inside Soap fanatic, buying it every week for a good 20 years!

• Heart
I was SUCH a magazine fangirl and actually always feel a bit miffed I wasn't born 10 years earlier. I was a nineties kid and grew up desperate to work at a fashion magazine but by the time I had graduated etc, the magazine world was totally different (and now I'm glad I opted for a different path as I don't think I'd have a job for much longer!) but I do wish I could have had the chance.

It was Go Girl and Girl Talk that got me started before I moved on to Sugar, Shout and Mizz.

Then it was More, Look, Heat, Closer and Company then Grazia, Cosmo and Vogue.

My Dad would take me into town every Saturday and our newsagents had a cafe in so I would pick a mag and then we'd go for egg sandwiches in the cafe, he'd read the paper and I'd read my magazine, it's genuinely now one of my favourite childhood memories.

I still pick one up from time to time, mainly if I've got a train journey or flight.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Does anyone else remember the Mikhail Gorbachev fake port wine birthmark tattoo that came free in an issue of Spy magazine

edit: spelt Gorbachev wrong

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
I loved a magazine as a kid, I saved all of them and would cut out the celebs I liked and stick them I notebooks 🤣
Now I only get them if I'm going on a plane.

My daughter's discoverd girl talk and it's just not the same as it was 🤣

My nan used to always bring round her magazines when she had finished reading them for my mum when I was growing up. So I used to end up reading Take a break, that’s life, best, ok magazine etc. Now my husband always buys me the magazines ( partly because I just like reading and partly because they remind me of my nan). I end up then giving the magazines to my mum so a total role reversal.

• Heart
I got my obsession with magazines from my mum, she was a woman and womans own kinda girl back then . .
As I grew up I loved Tuesdays, Id buy all the affordable weekly magazines and have an early night, Heat, Bella, Best, Ok etc . .
Kids came along, time became pressed and I fell off the magazine radar.

Fast forward a few years and only this week I purchased 3 magazines in readiness for my holiday.

3 magazines, not even "fancy glossies" so no free gift( not even a sachet of strong perfume) cost me just a little under £10!!

Im feeling old . . Really old, when did mags get so pricey?

Reactions: 5
Who remembers Ask Adam in More magazine? He was a young guy back in those days, now he is slightly more of a proper journalist and he looks like this (the guy on the right). I can remember that smile from back in the 2000s 😬
020C6E14-FF1C-4ACC-8D5C-01382E0626E7.jpeg

More’s old editor Helen Bownass has done very well for herself too, still editing mags. I didn’t know Anna Lou Weatherly, who had an advice column after Adam’s, was so successful as a writer elsewhere.

Did anyone else read Sally Brampton’s advice pages in Sunday Times Style magazine? I read them religiously. I’m still shocked at her suicide in 2016. She quite literally “got in the sea”. Horrendous. Her writing was incredible - at times life changing for me.

Reactions: 5
Who remembers Ask Adam in More magazine? He was a young guy back in those days, now he is slightly more of a proper journalist and he looks like this (the guy on the right). I can remember that smile from back in the 2000s 😬
View attachment 2176475

More’s old editor Helen Bownass has done very well for herself too, still editing mags. I didn’t know Anna Lou Weatherly, who had an advice column after Adam’s, was so successful as a writer elsewhere.

Did anyone else read Sally Brampton’s advice pages in Sunday Times Style magazine? I read them religiously. I’m still shocked at her suicide in 2016. She quite literally “got in the sea”. Horrendous. Her writing was incredible - at times life changing for me.
Omg I never knew this about Sally, how absolutely awful 😔