Madeleine Olivia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I semi-listened to it while catching up on some other work. Not really anything to comment on terms of the eating disorder content - if she's dealing with it, then good for her. She did kindly let us all know that you can get therapy sessions on NHS if you can't afford private sessions like her. Lol - I guess she isn't aware that the waiting list for NHS support is years long in some places.
I did find it interesting that she still refuses to address how tit the whole high carb / low fat vegan movement was a few years ago and how badly it harmed a lot of people. Given that she spent a lot of time promoting the diet and desperately trying to suck up to those fucktards Freelie and Durianrider, she is still unwilling to really speak up about it.

Reactions: 3
To be fair she did call out Freelee and HCLF in one of her more recent 'reacting to what I used to eat in a day' videos. But I didn't really get anything new from the latest one. She has been getting a few bodyshaming comments lately so maybe it was more of a reaction to that?

Reactions: 2
The “that was then this is now” excuse is the gift that keeps on giving.

The truth is that the disordered eating / weight loss content is what launched her channel and grew her audience. How can you square that away so easily?

In five years time when she has moved into property as her main income stream (seeing a lot of influencers do this - either straight up property investment or a holiday home they do up for content then rent out as a holiday let) will she then do another “that was then this is now” about her current rampant shilling / consumerism / greenwashing? “At the time everyone was doing it and so much money was on offer to influencers! I would never be like that now [I don’t need it]”

On her website she is still claiming that when she launched her channel she was helping people overcome disordered eating. But in videos now admitting that advice was also disordered and dangerous? So is able to retain the fairytail as her overall influencer career narrative whilst claiming she’s been ‘clear’ about how she ‘changed and grown’ along the way should anyone ask questions or hold her accountable. The cognitive dissonance is REAL.

Attachments

Reactions: 5
I’m fairly new to Maddy, I came across her last year when the tour of her last house popped up then didn’t see anything from her again until her new house tour came my way. Knowing nothing about her or her background I couldn’t understand how she had so many subscribers, said vegan cooking videos are her work and didn't seem to get the amount of views that are comparable with her amount of subscribers. So all that to say this thread has been very enlightening and as someone who knew nothing about her would never have guessed she was in to sustainability at all!

Reactions: 8
I find it very -er -'interesting' that Mads has suddenly started going on about her eating disorder again, after complaining about the 'hateful trolls' a couple of weeks ago ! Cynical ? Moi ? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I find it very -er -'interesting' that Mads has suddenly started going on about her eating disorder again, after complaining about the 'hateful trolls' a couple of weeks ago ! Cynical ? Moi ? :rolleyes:
To be fair if she is suddenly getting body shaming comments, it’s bound to stir some stuff up for her.

Reactions: 6
I didn't watch her old videos and I wasn't around for the HCLF/vegan diet culture heyday of YouTube. Has she removed/privated the triggering/problematic videos? If she has then fair enough but if they're still up and they're still monetized it feels a bit shady. People make mistakes but YouTubers kinda have to make it their duty to remove problematic content and stop endorsing dangerous behaviours.

Reactions: 3
She did talk about it more in her video reacting to old HCLF/WSLF videos, and mentioned she privated some of them but I assume there are others still up from that time.

It's so difficult with (esp food/vegan) youtubers because they're always claiming how they're the happiest/healthiest then some months/years later they do a 180 and say the opposite after they've influenced so many people and profited from it.

Reactions: 10
Absolutely not to start any arguments here, but to play the annoying devils advocate it can be argued that a vegan diet itself is disordered. She has made it clear through multiple videos that she started veganism because it was ‘healthy’ and as way to keep restricting her diet. In my own personal life I know multiple vegans who started their journey in this way, first it was no chocolate then spiralling into the disordered eating they have now (obviously this is not all vegans).

She does seem to eat a varied diet, but also does still seem somewhat restrictive to me. Like for eg eating so many mushrooms when they’re known for being very low in calories, and she doesn’t accompany them with any fat like avocado

Reactions: 8
Absolutely not to start any arguments here, but to play the annoying devils advocate it can be argued that a vegan diet itself is disordered. She has made it clear through multiple videos that she started veganism because it was ‘healthy’ and as way to keep restricting her diet. In my own personal life I know multiple vegans who started their journey in this way, first it was no chocolate then spiralling into the disordered eating they have now (obviously this is not all vegans).

She does seem to eat a varied diet, but also does still seem somewhat restrictive to me. Like for eg eating so many mushrooms when they’re known for being very low in calories, and she doesn’t accompany them with any fat like avocado
Veganism isn't disordered eating, but people with eating disorders do use the diet to help mask their eating disorders, me included. I went vegan but still wore leather 🤡 it was about a decade before I was well enough to acknowledge that it was all a ruse. I'm pescatarian now.

Not saying this is what Mads is doing, but it's not uncommon.

Reactions: 14
Veganism isn't disordered eating, but people with eating disorders do use the diet to help mask their eating disorders, me included. I went vegan but still wore leather 🤡 it was about a decade before I was well enough to acknowledge that it was all a ruse. I'm pescatarian now.

Not saying this is what Mads is doing, but it's not uncommon.
Yes there we go! That’s exactly the wording I meant

• Heart
Reactions: 4
165DBE36-08B9-45F4-B9BB-BB1610D87CC7.jpeg

Yep- I share your cynicism… not sure why but I joined her Facebook group for minimalism and decluttering back in the day, and noticed that she’s posted her eating disorder video there.
None of her other videos have been posted in this group, and she hasn’t been active in the group for a long time…

Reactions: 7
She still has a video up dating from around 5 years ago where she talks about her eating disorder in detail and concludes the video by heaping praise on Freelee and crediting her with curing her food issues. I'm guessing this must have been the very start of the whole HCLF and traipsing around trying to follow the cool vegan crowd.
I remember thinking that Freelee was a mental case right from the start and was surprised so many followed her nonsense orthorexic diet advice, but I think what appealed to so many young women was the idea that you could stuff yourself with extremely high fibre plant foods and feel satiated while also feeling 'virtuous' about being vegan.

Good on her for getting out of that cluster duck, but Madeleine does appear to be pretty oblique in terms of owning her previous words and actions. I think her management company has probably advised her to aim for a new audience with the Georgian house / renovation focus but she is becoming increasingly unrelatable to her existing viewers. Maybe that's why we are also seeing a return to the eating disorder content? Either that or she has been relapsing, in which case it's good she has professional help and support.

Reactions: 6
Bringing this up now is deflecting from the real criticism, so she can turn around and pretend that we're all trolling her for her weight and ED when actually we've been calling her out for other things tbh.

Reactions: 11
Bringing this up now is deflecting from the real criticism, so she can turn around and pretend that we're all trolling her for her weight and ED when actually we've been calling her out for other things tbh.
I agree, that's what I meant when I posted yesterday. I haven't seen her weight or ED mentioned on here.

Reactions: 10
A minute into the new video she says it's 'seemingly part of the tradesmen culture not to turn up'. I used to really like Maddie, but after everything recently this for me is the last straw. Feels like her real entitled nature is really coming through. I'm unsubscribing.

• Wow
Reactions: 24
A minute into the new video she says it's 'seemingly part of the tradesmen culture not to turn up'. I used to really like Maddie, but after everything recently this for me is the last straw. Feels like her real entitled nature is really coming through. I'm unsubscribing.
I've always had an inkling that behind the scenes she was kind of an entitled brat and that's been confirmed over and over again in the last couple of months. I can't stand influencers who are so quick to turn their nose up or pass judgment on other (actual) jobs/careers when they do contribute nothing of real value to the world.

Reactions: 17
Says privileged whiny influencer who doesn't have to turn up for anything

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.