Madeleine Olivia

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I only really watch her food videos as admittedly I don't find her and Alex that interesting or endearing! I side eye things like the function of beauty collab and her privilege but overall I guess she's mostly inoffensive.

Reactions: 5
A while back she was promoting this cupcake baking machine and I thought the old Maddie would not have entertained something like that.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Came looking for this thread as soon as I saw her moving video!

It was interesting that she said the cottage was never meant to be a forever house. I don't know why they didn't hold off on finding somewhere that could have been, rather than buying a cottage for a temporary home, as sustainability is apparently important to them. I know that's not an option for everyone but they seem privileged enough to have done that? I dunno, maybe they didn't have the budget for a bigger house at the time.

Some parts of her content have been hard to watch. She's in a lovely house in a beautiful area, where she walks Roxy is beautiful - easy access to green spaces is a massive luxury in the UK - yet she kinda acts like she's really hard done by in some videos. I know that mental health isn't cured by money and materialistic items but it's just really tone deaf through the pandemic. I feel like I have to say I know that doesn't mean she has to be happy and I'm not saying she can't be sad or talk about feeling down, but some perspective would be nice.

Overall I do like her, she seems sweet and I think her heart is in the right place. I'm not a fan of when YTers have to end up incorporating their partner into their brand though.

Reactions: 15
I do like some of her content, but I unfollowed her because of how she always goes on about how bad being online is for her and that’s she’s taking a break and fridays are always a big show because of course she is taking the weekend off and she has to bang on about it. She’s entitled to all of those things of course but it shouldn’t be her content.
I wouldn’t complain about my job like that at work either 😂

Reactions: 16
Everytime I watch her videos, my boyfriend comments on Madeleine's privilege and how it is oozing out of her. I couldn't believe it until I found out her family background. And yes, she's always been privileged.
She has always sounded pretty posh to me, too. What's the family background - farming?

Is she down in Truro?

I used to like her sustainable/minimalism content and she was pretty relatable back when she was living at home/when they first rented the apartment in Brighton.

I feel like it has all gone a bit downhill though and this move to a big house has just kind of sealed it for me. She acts like being on social media is a chore and I run my own business, I get it, it can be a chore but you don't tell everyone that. I don't know, it's a bit awkward or something when you know she doesn't want to be posting.

I like her, she seems nice enough, the same with Alex but her content just doesn't interest me as much anymore.

Reactions: 15
So her latest insta story is like "so many people asked me about banking so I wanted to talk to you about it!" yet it's an ad... 😂

Just do the ad don't try and act like it's recorded in response to questions.

Reactions: 14
I used to have a huge amount of time for Maddie and Alex. Mainly when they were living in her parents cottage and then in Brighton. I keep unsubbing and then subbing again to her youtube channel. :LOL: I think I first side eyed her when they went travelling and for a short period her thumbnails were like close up bikini butt shots or something. It felt like it was to pull in views and I was really surprised she was that obvious about it. It was really a big reminder that like most youtubers they were there for the money at the end of the day.
I do generally still like them as a couple, but there is certainly a victim mentality there and a huge lack of self awareness at times I think. I like Alex and his sense of humour, but do wonder if he also has mental health issues of his own going on. He doesn't work does he? He's become another youtube husband which I can imagine might not be great for him.
I wasn't surprised by the move. I remember Alex talking at some point about wanting to buy, renovate and sell properties. I was actually surprised to see their house up for sale. I thought they might keep it and let it out, whilst purchasing another. (It sold for £260,000 and they bought for £230,000 I think)
I think what has put me off lately is the constant stream of ads in her insta account now. (I've unsubbed to that) It's a lot, and despite what she says I don't believe for one second that she likes all these products. A lot of them have been for quite crappy brands. It was a big eye opener in one of her videos when she showed all the free skincare in her bathroom cabinet. I suspect they may have become caught up in all the greed that seems to belong to youtubers nowadays. It's sad because it's so far from the messages she used to feel strongly about. I don't expect her to be perfect by any means, but to talk about minimalism whilst accepting so much free stuff that enables their lifestyle just grates a bit with me especially in these hard times for so many.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I used to have a huge amount of time for Maddie and Alex. Mainly when they were living in her parents cottage and then in Brighton. I keep unsubbing and then subbing again to her youtube channel. :LOL: I think I first side eyed her when they went travelling and for a short period her thumbnails were like close up bikini butt shots or something. It felt like it was to pull in views and I was really surprised she was that obvious about it. It was really a big reminder that like most youtubers they were there for the money at the end of the day.
I do generally still like them as a couple, but there is certainly a victim mentality there and a huge lack of self awareness at times I think. I like Alex and his sense of humour, but do wonder if he also has mental health issues of his own going on. He doesn't work does he? He's become another youtube husband which I can imagine might not be great for him.
I wasn't surprised by the move. I remember Alex talking at some point about wanting to buy, renovate and sell properties. I was actually surprised to see their house up for sale. I thought they might keep it and let it out, whilst purchasing another. (It sold for £260,000 and they bought for £230,000 I think)
I think what has put me off lately is the constant stream of ads in her insta account now. (I've unsubbed to that) It's a lot, and despite what she says I don't believe for one second that she likes all these products. A lot of them have been for quite crappy brands. It was a big eye opener in one of her videos when she showed all the free skincare in her bathroom cabinet. I suspect they may have become caught up in all the greed that seems to belong to youtubers nowadays. It's sad because it's so far from the messages she used to feel strongly about. I don't expect her to be perfect by any means, but to talk about minimalism whilst accepting so much free stuff that enables their lifestyle just grates a bit with me especially in these hard times for so many.
Yes I was shocked about all of the beauty products she had in one of her vlogs! This is what is odd about minimalist/sustainable/low waste bloggers - they get sent so much stuff which goes against what their brand is all about. If you're gonna make sustainability your brand then surely you should be taking yourself off PR lists and only be accepting enough beauty products that you can actually use? I guess it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of it..

What a shame, I really like their cottage and what they had done to it. I've only watched the odd video, and mainly the minimalism/vegan ones. However, aside from veganism she is completely unrelatable to me.

Interesting to know it sold for £260,000, because their new house looks MUCH more expensive than that. She must be earning a pretty sizeable amount to put a deposit and get a mortgage for a house like that because it has to be in the £400,00 mark price range. And, we need to consider, the mortgage would really only consider her income because Alex works for her.

I'm expecting their new house to be a massive step up given all her ads recently. Good point about only really being her income. Here is their old house. Ok to post I guess now that they aren't there? https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/2/foundry/foundry/stithians/truro/tr3-7bu/55759106

I agree Slugella. I've always been so impressed with vloggers that ask to be taken off pr lists. That Maddie hasn't done so does make me question how into her message she was in the first place. On the other hand I guess it's given them the chance to set themselves up in a way they probably couldn't have done otherwise. It must be lovely to be able to reduce your basic outgoings so much. Even food is sent to them for free which is just crazy. I know it's to promote, but often it's just so much. It would be lovely to see stuff like that given to a food bank. Or maybe all these beauty items she is sent given to women's refuges for example.
I should stress that I do actually still really like them both. However, as a viewer I do feel that she has now lost my trust in any items she recommends. She's gone from using no shampoo (and actually having great hair as a result) to needing multiple products and routines. It's ok to change your mind about these things and find what works for you, but I'd expect to see the journey in the opposite way and not go from minimalist lifestyles to shilling random products.

I've just started to watch her latest decluttering/packing video, and again the complaining about how hard it's been for her. She really needs to read the room and realise how fortunate she is. If moving from one nice cottage to a larger one is the biggest issue you've had to deal with lately you really need to be quiet I'm afraid. She will lose viewers if she continues to push that attitude.

Reactions: 8
She surely can’t claim to be a minimalist, sustainable, environmentally active person now, she is a saleswoman who also happens to be a good vegan cook.

Reactions: 12
I've always been so impressed with vloggers that ask to be taken off pr lists. That Maddie hasn't done so does make me question how into her message she was in the first place.
in a surprising twist - she confirmed at the end of today’s video that she has asked to be taken off PR lists! makes me glad to know that she is at least a little self-aware

I'm also happy to hear she has asked to be taken off PR lists - though sort of amazed she was even on them to be honest if she was a sustainable influencer.

I found it strange how, in her latest video, she kept trying to stress that she didn't have as many clothes as it appeared on camera. Like, girl, if you like your clothing collection and it's increased over the years, just own it. You still have much less than me and the average woman XD

Reactions: 7
I'm looking forward to seeing more of the house. I'm definitely living vicariously through her from my mid-terrace London shoebox LOL.

I think I have a soft spot for Maddie because I'm also not the militant, principled, angry little vegan I was 10 years ago - it's difficult to maintain that level of passion. So I guess I don't blame her for sticking to her principles 100%.

As with other influencers, she's fallen into the trap where she makes a lot of money selling her life and is now trapped between making the most 💰💰💰 out of it, and stepping away and living a more modest lifestyle - which is ironically what she promotes! So you can see why that would make you miserable. You have no purpose other than to try and frame your life in a specific way online.

So her latest insta story is like "so many people asked me about banking so I wanted to talk to you about it!" yet it's an ad... 😂

Just do the ad don't try and act like it's recorded in response to questions.
i hate it when they do that, literally no one is asking you about banking!

Reactions: 3
it’s so interesting seeing what she did to her cottage though! She has made it SO much nicer and liveable than it was before (in particular I mean the bathroom situation). Whoever bought their cottage is very lucky!

I can’t wait to see her new house.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.