Madeleine McCann #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been devoting a LOT of time to reading the case files. Witness statements, procedural evidence, follow-ups by UK police. It's fascinating.

It also seems that

1) the Portuguese police did a very poor job, initially
2) all the 'Tapas 7' felt an element of guilt at the childcare arrangements (unsurprising)
3) Gerry's personality doesn't lend itself to gaining sympathy
4) many of the wilder theories can be discounted by looking at the evidence
5) David Payne's interviews are rambling but that doesn't indicate any wrongdoing
6) Yvonne Martin acted in an astonishing fashion. She had no authority to question the McCanns or anyone else, and clearly she bore a grudge in not being allowed to get involved. Nasty sounding woman!
7) I hope further work was done in recovering mobile phone evidence. There's a few unanswered questions there.
reads like a good summary to me!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
No you’re trying to discredit me, personally, because you don’t like what I’m saying. I could be a police officer with decades in the job (I’m not) and it wouldn’t matter if I didn’t use police lingo, because police slang would be inappropriate for this forum… because most people in the U.K. and using this forum arent police officers themselves. So why would I use slang that most readers won’t be familiar with?

bloody hell, so ive gone from a “Walt” faking it online, to a police officer linked to Leicestershire police/The met who investigated the case. What a journey I’ve had this morning!
Where did I mention Leicestershire Police or the Met? Why jump to that?

Just about everyday there's a news item about crap policing and corrupt and abusive officers all over the UK (but mainly the Met). Have you read the inquiry reports about these forces? Any force currently appears to be vulnerable to such exposés so someone from any force could feel touchy about it.

No one is using slang but rather British English.

You really should know that you shouldn't put words into people's mouths. That's what freed the Guildford Four and Birmingham Six after all.

I'm not trying to discredit you; I'm sorry that you don't like your authority being questioned. You were, after all, the one who was keen to tell us that this was your professional area.

Now, let's get on with the thread.

Reactions: 4
Where did I mention Leicestershire Police or the Met? Why jump to that?

Just about everyday there's a news item about crap policing and corrupt and abusive officers all over the UK (but mainly the Met). Have you read the inquiry reports about these forces? Any force currently appears to be vulnerable to such exposés so someone from any force could feel touchy about it.

No one is using slang but rather British English.

You really should know that you shouldn't put words into people's mouths. That's what freed the Guildford Four and Birmingham Six after all.

I'm not trying to discredit you; I'm sorry that you don't like your authority being questioned. You were, after all, the one who was keen to tell us that this was your professional area.

Now, let's get on with the thread.
I don’t have any authority, just a somewhat niche perspective :)

Reactions: 2
I've been devoting a LOT of time to reading the case files. Witness statements, procedural evidence, follow-ups by UK police. It's fascinating.

It also seems that

1) the Portuguese police did a very poor job, initially
2) all the 'Tapas 7' felt an element of guilt at the childcare arrangements (unsurprising)
3) Gerry's personality doesn't lend itself to gaining sympathy
4) many of the wilder theories can be discounted by looking at the evidence
5) David Payne's interviews are rambling but that doesn't indicate any wrongdoing
6) Yvonne Martin acted in an astonishing fashion. She had no authority to question the McCanns or anyone else, and clearly she bore a grudge in not being allowed to get involved. Nasty sounding woman!
7) I hope further work was done in recovering mobile phone evidence. There's a few unanswered questions there.
I’ve always rather wanted to know if David Payne handed over the mobile phones as promised in his Rotatory interview.

Reactions: 3
I’ve always rather wanted to know if David Payne handed over the mobile phones as promised in his Rotatory interview.
Yes, that's the kind of thing you assume/hope the police forces followed up.
Quite possibly means nothing, but loose ends, like the deleted phone calls & texts, needed to be investigated further.

I feel some of the interviews lost meaning in translation. Looks like a few misinterpretations there.

Reactions: 3
Quite possibly means nothing, but loose ends, like the deleted phone calls & texts, needed to be investigated further.

I feel some of the interviews lost meaning in translation. Looks like a few misinterpretations there.
Not the Rogatorys, they were in English and just straight transcribed.

What was the main gist about his phone? I mostly remember him mentioning phone numbers and the transcript is a pain to read

The police were asking him to check to whom numbers belonged, but he had a new phone which didn't have all the numbers. He offered to locate his previous phone for them.
David Payne's phone was also used by his partner Fiona, as she didn't have hers on holiday. And on occasion calls were made on behalf of others, like Gerry or Kate.

Reactions: 1
The police were asking him to check to whom numbers belonged, but he had a new phone which didn't have all the numbers. He offered to locate his previous phone for them.
David Payne's phone was also used by his partner Fiona, as she didn't have hers on holiday. And on occasion calls were made on behalf of others, like Gerry or Kate.
There were also a number of Pay-as-you-Go phones that someone got for them (I think they had errrr one and the McCanns errrr* had the other) but he couldn’t remember the numbers but he thought he might still have them both Or one at least. Maybe. But he would look for it.
I sometimes wonder if it/they ever turned up.
(*flashbacks there to reading the interviews)

Reactions: 5
This calls to mind the quote -
"Conspiracy theories only exist because true journalism doesn't exist anymore".

In todays climate, conspiracy theories are thrown about by the Establishment when those persuing the truth get too close. No doubt today, Nixons government would survive and Bernstein and Woodward thrown to the wolves.

I'm old and ugly enough to remember May 2007 - my then Father in Law, ex CID, said the case stunk to high heaven.

The then Prime Minister Gordon Brown -a friend of Gerry McCann - took it upon himself to speakout publicly ; a PR guru, Clarence Mitchell, was hired by the British Govt to navigate the media storm for the McCanns ; in the early weeks whilst most parents would be tearing up the Portuguese earth with their bare hands to find their missing daughter, the McCanns travelled from Portugal to the Vatican for an audience with the Pope. The memory of Ben Needham and the lack of support his Mother received from the British Consulate was very much in the public consciousness and the Public were asking uncomfortable questions.

This was 2007 - there was no social media. But it was the early days of forums and the Daily Mirror Forum was prolific in the pursuit of extra information from Portugal considering that the British Media was 100% in support of two parents who neglected three under fours at night in a foreign country and how bloody dare thicko Johnny Foreigner accuse two upstanding British Doctors of wrongdoing.

That extra information posted on the Forum from Portuguese Journalists and local British expats was a thorn in the side of the British Establishment who, with the advent of the InterWeb, struggled to keep a lid on the narrative and the Police investigation in Portugal.

I read her book - one of the most strangest reads ever. TRIGGER ALERT - this woman wrote about her daughters genitals being mutilated. She also described in great detail a three course meal she enjoyed at the pweirdo Clement Freuds house. In Praia de Luz..... Just 2 weeks after her daughters disappearance.....

Sixteen years on - I still support my ex Father In Laws position.

This case stinks to high heaven

It does indeed.

I never understood how the McCanns got a PR spokesperson in place so fast. I can’t remember when Clarence Mitchell came into the picture but I think there had been another PR in place for a couple of months. And they don’t come cheap. Paid for out of the Madeleine Fund I assume, or was it the taxpayer? I found their obsession with promoting themselves and “protecting their reputation” very weird, as you say when one’s entire focus as a parent with a missing child would be to find that child.

Sonia Poulton covers it all in her documentary. She did another one about the McCanns and the U.K. police. Really fascinating work and well worth a look if you haven’t seen it.

Reactions: 10

It does indeed.

I never understood how the McCanns got a PR spokesperson in place so fast. I can’t remember when Clarence Mitchell came into the picture but I think there had been another PR in place for a couple of months. And they don’t come cheap. Paid for out of the Madeleine Fund I assume, or was it the taxpayer? I found their obsession with promoting themselves and “protecting their reputation” very weird, as you say when one’s entire focus as a parent with a missing child would be to find that child.

Sonia Poulton covers it all in her documentary. She did another one about the McCanns and the U.K. police. Really fascinating work and well worth a look if you haven’t seen it.

Weirdly, all of those people who did documentaries about the case you can watch on YT also have rather weird videos about conspiracy theories, which discredits them a bit for me.

Reactions: 9
This mornings tweet from MWT
I can’t stand him.
Tbh it’s possibly a rumour put out by the McCann team to keep Madeleine in the public’s minds because she far more important than all the other missing children.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
How can they charge him with Madeleine's murder when there is no body? There's no proof that she's still alive, but no proof that she is dead either.

Reactions: 8
He hasn't had anything to do with Madeleine McCann disappearance. I think that German detective wants to go down in history as the cop that caught the killer
The mccanns will happily go along with it if it points the finger well away from them. They were the last people to see Madeleine. The police usually would take that stance. For reasons only known to themselves they havent!

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.