Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

emily287

Yeah unfortunately those types of forums and spaces on the internet attract people like that. I think in cases like Lucy's she puts herself forward as a friend/chief nob/queen/bestie/close friend who has some sort of relationship with you and you see some people (who are clearly rather vulnerable or not in the best of head spaces, per their posts) eat it up. The reality is that they are all just Lucy's customers and lining her pockets and I doubt she could give a shite about any of them (which she shouldn't have too tbf) but she let's on otherwise.

Mind you, scenario's like this aren't exclusive to Lucy because you see it all the time with influencers.
This is what is so manipulative about her 'final statement'. She said she was talking to the group members as though she would a friend, but the thing is, they aren't her friends. They're the ones who are paying for her holidays, her expensive skin and hair care, her spacious one bed flat etc etc. They are commodities to her, not friends. They serve a purpose for her so it makes sense to make them feel as though they mean something to her when in reality they're consumers of her brand.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Imah

Chatty Member
I hate to say it and it’s a bit unfeminist of me but I think Lucy and others (Sophie Milner is another example) are getting to their early thirties and just having a breakdown because really they haven’t done much with their lives other than post on social media for the last 7/8 years and their content/engagement is drying up and they don’t know what to do about it, hence mental breakdown.

emily287

Only just checked this. The WhatsApp group was never intended to be an anti-nobs or anti-Lucy chat, it started as a weight loss centred chat. However after multiple incidents (most have been mentioned in the thread) many became disillusioned with Lucy and how fake she was becoming so it simply evolved into something else. It only became an ‘official’ anti-nobs chat once Lucy posted the advert asking for free labour and many people said it was wrong then she forced us out of the group. Also, yes it was someone in this group that make the independent decision to apply to be a moderator so they could ‘report back’ (their words). This was not encouraged by members despite us finding it funny. Lucy made it out as though it was some giant plot against her when in reality it was a throwaway comment.

I know multiple members reached out to say that we had suggestions for how the group could be improved however we were told they would be passed on, yet we never heard back (meaning they never even heard our ideas).
None of my comments within the group chat were shared as I’ve always been careful what I say. However Lucy has CHOSEN to be an influencer and by choosing that you choose what comes with it, which includes criticism of you, your work etc. It is incredibly inappropriate that she shared the messages and I am currently in contact with an attorney to see if I can purse legal action.
Oh also, Lucy has gone out of her way to find myself and others who called her out in the comments [for asking for free labour] and has blocked us all on Instagram

• Heart

thepantsqueen

VIP Member
I have to say I like her. Yes she does have thin privilege but she is aware of it and I really like how inclusive she was with her models on the launch of her new app. All sizes and different ethnicities. I think she walks the walk. Her talk of anti dieting has actually helped me a lot and taught me to see exercise as a way to feel mentally better rather than obsessing over numbers and food. As much as being told “don’t obsess over food” or “diet culture is bs” comes across as patronising from a slim, privileged woman, I’m glad SHE is talking about and it is a breath of fresh air from normal exercise instagrammers. Hopefully she inspires other of her similar privilege to do the same and show models of all different types of people.

I messaged her with a concern about something and she responded almost immediately and addressed the problem and I know she isn’t perfect but I definitely think she’s more than just talk.

I haven’t listened to her podcast though and I don’t think I will, I don’t think the world needs another podcast 🤣🤣

Reactions: 8
So glad I've found this thread. I don't dislike Lucy and I think she's pretty open/honest but I completely agree that she has this whole 'eat whatever you want/don't exercise unless you want to' message, ignoring that eating whatever she wants means maintaining a thin and very conventionally attractive body type. I can guarantee that if she was a size 14/16 she simply wouldn't be half as popular as she is.

Also complete nitpicking here but her winged eyeliner bothers me so much, the wing starts about halfway across her eyelids :ROFLMAO:

emily287

Hello! I registered specifically so I can comment on this thread. I made multiple comments which have been discussed in this thread and also have involvement (I won’t say to what extent) in the WhatsApp group that got screenshotted and shared by Lucy.
considering Lucy is worth £1-£3 MILLION it’s disgusting that she won’t pay her staff a proper wage. She is an entitled white woman who refuses to acknowledge her own privilege and I can’t wait to watch her crumble

• Heart

LostInStereo_

95087A1B-943F-438C-AAB9-C456636A4A25.jpeg
FAB389D6-E4C5-45BD-B4B6-E64CEA76A8D0.jpeg
5C7646DC-7336-40CD-85CA-43CAA05A0935.jpeg

Just to say I'd been in the group for a while and to begin with it was great but recently it has been ridiculous and if you even suggested something that wasn't sunshine and fairies you'd get attacked by everyone and their mum and then the 'moderators' would just turn the comments off and ignore that anything happened. Hardly the way to encourage conversation or debate - everyone seemed to take everything to heart even if it wasn't aimed at them or had anything to do with them

Last edited:

rdemp

Switch “Caroline Calloway” for “Lucy Mountain” in this passage and it still reads perfectly:

“Scratch a little beneath the surface and you begin to see through the cracks: Caroline Calloway Lucy Mountain isn’t celebrating body-positivity. She’s celebrating Caroline Calloway’s Lucy Mountain’s body. Her feminism isn’t celebrating women. It celebrates herself, who just happens to be a woman. Her environmentalism holds no weight, except for a bunch of potted plants and metal straws. A cursory glance through her instagram handle reveals that the people of colour we see on her feeds are few and far between. And of course, she has mastered the art of gaslighting in the 21st century, taking criticism and either deleting it (I have been blocked on her instagram account after liking a comment that said, “Why don’t you leave Natalie alone pay people for their labour?”).

Attachments

qwerty1996

I'm glad she is starting to show her true colours now tho. A few pages back I said I couldn't put my finger on her yet but the girl has almost 500k IG followers, a subscription and a clothing line so she is obviously making BANK and still has the nerve to ask her followers to volunteers to give up their free time to better her own brand. She knows fine well some girls will do it as well

I'm on that group and it's such a hotbed of toxic positivity (which is basically her brand at this point) that I'm not surprised that the majority of people commenting claimed to see no issue with it

kas85

I find a thin, white woman preaching about diet culture and beauty standards quite jarring to be honest

thepantsqueen

VIP Member
I don't know if it's just me, it probably is but everything about her is starting to really grate on me. She comes across so condescending. The way she speaks, the way she moves her mouth, her blatant performative activism only when it suits her. She's just obnoxious to me.

coffeeandwine

Chatty Member
I like the idea, however it feels wrong to have a conventionally attractive white woman doing it. She has pretty good skin, so I can't imagine it's very empowering to those who have acne, scarring, rosacea or other skin conditions (which don't impact on beauty at all btw) to see her being like 'I'm amazing for showing my bare face, it took SO much courage".

Although whilst typing this, can you imagine how much more 'popular' she'd be if she started all this vapid nonsense about self-love about 4 years earlier? But of course, she wouldn't have done it then, it was trendy to promote skinny teas so that's what she did.
This is also one of the reasons I found the whole #getyerfaceout thing low-key judgemental/shaming of people who do wear makeup and/or use filters. I dunno, I feel like if some people do feel more confident wearing makeup/using filters then that's okay and we shouldn't harp on about it? Obviously celebrating your bare face regardless of the condition of your skin is great but some people aren't ready to do that and they shouldn't be made to feel weird about it.

Same with the 'no progress pics' thing with Lucy's guides. I completely get the idea in principle and for someone like Lucy who is already slim I can see how getting bogged down in comparing your body to a slightly leaner, fitter body could be damaging. However, it's also totally okay for people to want to see their progress as they lose weight/get fitter, share how proud they are of it or want to see the results a guide they're spending money on could give them before they buy it.

I guess that's one of the issues I have with the body positivity movement in general at times. It can veer so easily into toxic positivity. Feeling neutral or even occasionally negative about your appearance is not allowed. You have to love yourself all the time. I feel like Team Nobs really got like that the longer it went on.

VIP Member
Just logging here that Lucy mountain wasn’t wearing a mask in Tesco on her IG stories a few days ago. I personally don’t find that responsible as the virus is still very much present and people remain vulnerable (ie immunocompromised people whose vaccine dose isn’t as effective). Plus she was being quite sanctimonious herself about covid restrictions a few months ago to now be telling her followers it’s fine to ignore sensible habits
Masks aren’t mandatory anymore so don’t see why it’s an issue

Reactions: 7

natalalalia

That whole volunteering debacle (plus all the past dramas with TW, racism on the FB group etc) was the final straw for me. I feel embarrassed that I even got the old guide or shared her posts with friends. The total lack of awareness and meaningful change is so telling, yt cis girl feminism bs.

Like she had the nobs takeover for a little while while BLM was trending, and that was actually a good thing, platforming minority voices. That disappeared without a trace for those lame jokes about cycling etc.

What grinds me most is just how culty the die hard Lucy fans get, like you can't say anything about their dearest queen. When in reality, as a business owner, she should be open to critique and conversation, especially given that she's touted the nobs community almost as an asset for her brand. It's not something out of the goodness of her heart.

It reminds me of toxic yoga studios where they ask you you to do free service in exchange for a class, when in reality it's just super exploitative. Gross gross gross.

Reactions: 7