Lucy Letby Case #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oooh I think with lots of new members we should keep the ‘is LL a murderer’ poll the same for the next thread and see if it varies much! I’m about to go for dental treatment though so you might need a new thread before I’m done!

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Hi new members! Important questions - are you ginger, what are your thoughts on Turkish Delight, and do you have a Matalan card?

Your permission to maintain a Tattle membership hinges on your answers to the above, so consider them carefully.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Oh look, they are already here. 17 x innocent she’s a scapegoat votes 🙄

AFF4E50D-03D3-4272-ABC8-CC478C56BE50.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 35
Oooh I think with lots of new members we should keep the ‘is LL a murderer’ poll the same for the next thread and see if it varies much! I’m about to go for dental treatment though so you might need a new thread before I’m done!
You’ll be looking like LT in your profile pic 🤣
---
Hi new members! Important questions - are you ginger, what are your thoughts on Turkish Delight, and do you have a Matalan card?

Your permission to maintain a Tattle membership hinges on your answers to the above, so consider them carefully.
You don’t need a card now. Just the app.
1C66214E-0727-4F82-85FA-026DCEA1C6A7.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Also remember that if anyone does turn up saying nasty things and trying to disrupt the thread, you always have the report button at your disposal too. Best not to engage with any trolling and just let the mods deal with it 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I’m a new member. Been reading here throughout the trial and the discussions on here have been great! I can also confirm I am not a Facebook nutter (although I do check the group from time to time just to make sure I still have some common sense). I also voted guilty here and have thought this pretty much throughout the trial.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Do we think some of these people were waiting with baited breath for the memberships to reopen, just so they could vote NG? lol
Yes 💀

Judge Goss has started, highlighting that the plumbing issues did not occur when the alleged incidents took place.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
10:26am

The trial is now resuming.

The judge, Mr Justice James Goss, is beginning his summing up.

He says the prosecution case is there was deliberate harm at the Countess of Chester Hospital neonatal unit, sometimes repeated attempts on the same infants, and some of those babies died.

He says after Child O and Child P died, and Child Q collapsed on successive days in June 2016, Lucy Letby was confined to clerical duties.

---
10:29am

He reminds the jury of the background to the offences alleged on the indictment.

He says the Countess of Chester Hospital is, and was, busy.

He says the jury are now familiar with the tertiary system of hospitals, with the Countess a level 2 unit, routinely providing care to babies of 27+ weeks gestation.

The jury have been provided with a guide, and walkthrough recordings, of the unit.

One room, 'room one', the ICU room, had four incubators and two computers plus other pieces of equipment.

Room two was the HDU, rooms three and four were special care babies rooms.

---
10:31am

He says the last evidence heard was from Lorenzo Mansutti, an experienced plumber at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

The Women's and Children's building was built in the 1960s and there were issues with the plumbing, and there was an incident between 2015-2016 where the hand basin backed up with foul water.

There was another incident where room 4's floor flooded after a back-up sink overflowed.

None of the incidents reported happened on the days when the alleged offences took place.

---
10:34am

Consultant Dr John Gibbs had said in evidence it would have been better if there were more consultants, but refused to say the staffing level at the time compromised the care of neonatal infants.

He says every year, up to 2015, the number of deaths at the neonatal unit was within the number to be expected, and less than the national average.

Between 2015-2016, the number of deaths "increased significantly", including the number of "unusual" events.

The defence said this was a consquence of higher admissions and a higher number of infants with more complex needs.

---
10:37am

In evidence, Letby was asked about her relationship with other staff.

She said she had "no problem or issue" with any of the doctors and had a "normal working relationship" with them "at the time", except for one female doctor she did not get on that well with.

She said she "loved one [male] doctor as a friend", but there was no loving relationship between the the two.

She later said four doctors had "conspired against her falsely" - Dr Stephen Breary, Dr Ravi Jayaram, Dr John Gibbs and one other.
---
10:40am

The judge says the evidence given by witnesses behind screens, or from remote locations on videolinks, should not be diminished in any way.

He adds their evidence should be judged in the same way as any other witness in the case.

He says established guidelines had one designated nurse to one ICU baby, one nurse to two HDU babies, and one nurse to four special care babies.

He says nursing notes would be written retrospectively on computers.

They had an accurate electonic timing of the start and completion of the note.
---
10:44am

He says nurses were asked about staffing levels.

The court had heard from one nurse: "Sometimes there were more babies [on the unit] than there were meant to be". 2015-2016 "was a busy period" with more babies with higher acuity.

Staff "were giving up breaks" to provide care.

"It was always quite busy," said another nurse.

Dr Stephen Breary accepted nursing levels were lower than the gold standard guidelines.

He added their levels were similar to other neonatal units, and staffing levels were better than those around Cheshire units.

The court heard the other units did not have the mortality levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20
I too am a new member who has been following these threads so that I can be with like minded people!
I struggled to view any of the reporting last week as I couldn't bear to hear such feeble excuses. Nervously awaiting the judges summing up and hoping that the jury gets this right.

I voted guilty on this thread.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Right I’m back, will get a new thread ready then you can all post again 🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
10:48am

The judge says the jury should consider if sub-optimal care was a factor in the collapses of the babies.

He says in a few cases, it is accepted there was sub-optimal care.

He said Letby accepted herself that sub-optimal care played little or no part in most of the babies' cases.

He says [defence barrister] Benjamin Myers KC repeatedly suggested that doctors "had gone out of their way" to "damage" the defendant by blaming her for sub-optimal failures in care.
He says she "did nothing to harm any baby".

He says it is up to the jury to find who is telling the truth and who is "reliable".

He adds he is not going to put a single document up for the jury to look at, as they have all the documents.

10:51am

He says in two cases, two babies received insulin when it was "wholly inapporpriate" to do so.

Each of them - Child F, Child L - was a twin.

He says the prosecution say there is "no doubt" it was added intentionally.

He says the prosecution say the chances of more than one person acting in that way [administering insulin] is not realistic.

He adds the defence invite the jury to question the samples, and the "lack of harm" caused by the infants if they had been poisoned by insulin.

He says the prosecution say the intention was "endangering the lives" of the two babies.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
The judge is doing a fab job, really getting to the key points and summarising perfectly.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
New thread

• Heart
Reactions: 13
10:55am

The judge says the prosecution referred to a list of reoccurring factors for babies in the case.

He says for the defence, they say Letby was a committed, hard-working nurse, and if there was someone intent on harming children, it was not her.

The judge now gives the background to Letby, starting as a nurse at the Countess of Chester Hospital in 2012 as a band 5 nurse.

The court had heard Letby "always strived to go on every course she could".

In March/April 2015, Letby had completed a six-month course - including a placement at Liverpool Women's Hospital - she qualified in the speciality of caring for intensive care babies.

She was the only band 5 nurse [along with colleague Bernadette Butterworth] to have that qualification.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.