Little Mix

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This sounds dreadful and I really hope it is not the case, but maybe she was so unwell initially they were not sure if she was going to pull through, hence a statement not being released until a few days later. Normally the management release statements fairly early on to try and quell any rumours.

I really hope she is ok, mental health is a witch.

Reactions: 15
This sounds dreadful and I really hope it is not the case, but maybe she was so unwell initially they were not sure if she was going to pull through, hence a statement not being released until a few days later. Normally the management release statements fairly early on to try and quell any rumours.

I really hope she is ok, mental health is a witch.
I did thank that too, but then I think the girls seemed happy and relaxed at ema’s, and if it was that bad i’m sure it would have come across, unless they are all great actresses.

the search trio performance vs the trio ema performance has different vibes.

maybe i’m just reading too much into it 🤷🏽‍♀️

Reactions: 8
Completely guessing here but maybe they talked about going solo after this last album and tour. Jesy has realised she can’t wait that long and said she won’t do it. The girls thought she was just having a ‘bad day/week’ so didn’t seem too concerned hence the EMA etc. However now they’ve realised she is being serious and needs help so said she can have some time off probably for rehab in the hope that she will be ‘okay’ by the tour. Unfortunately I don’t think Jesy will be going back to little mix at all or definitely not for a very long time so there putting his extended break message out to give her time to get some help and ‘change her mind’. Or she had already left and they don’t want that to affect album sales etc so saying she’s on a break and will then be too unwell to do the tour or something 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 10
I did thank that too, but then I think the girls seemed happy and relaxed at ema’s, and if it was that bad i’m sure it would have come across, unless they are all great actresses.
This is the same band who put a front on during Jesy's first suicide attempt back in 2013, including Jesy herself. So much so that we didn't know it had happened until last year when her documentary came out.

Reactions: 28
This is the same band who put a front on during Jesy's first suicide attempt back in 2013, including Jesy herself. So much so that we didn't know it had happened until last year when her documentary came out.
That would definitely have been forced upon them whether they agreed to or not. Modest/SyCo would've made them put on a front even if they didn't want to. Modest and SyCo are such awful companies I can see them doing that.

It definitely points to mental health issues. Poor girl I hope she comes through it all

Reactions: 3
They’re super talented but Jesy has too many insecurities to handle the pressure. It must be draining for her and the others.

Why when a woman is sick or having time off does one assume she is pregnant... it really annoys me for some reason.
I was hoping it was pregnancy because that’s a much nicer alternative to her being so unwell that she attempts suicide or is battling addiction. And given how some celebrities have started doing private pregnancies (a la Kylie Jenner), maybe she’s decided to do the same.

Edit to add: I do think it points more towards mental health issues. I just wish she wasn’t struggling so much.

Reactions: 14
Agreed. I definitely think this points to mental health. I thought she seemed a bit off on her last episode of The Search. Really hope she's getting the help she needs.

Reactions: 2
Reports are that they are all going for solo careers, which is how they first started out.

I think they will find it harder solo than in a band. But wish them well

Reactions: 9
Manufactured bands like this are cash cows for record companies, but there is also a race against time to recover the investments in their product.

For that reason, they have millions ploughed into capitalising on their relevance for an intense period of time where their product is drained of everything. Unlike people like Bowie, the band are in control of nothing-even the co-writing. Co-writing is a nonsense, but an important phrase to use when trying to sell the "integrity" of the band i.e. to try and fool the public/fans that their involvement with the writing and recording process is a collaboration and not an autocracy.

These kids wanted to be famous. Their brand is handed to them, their musical style is handed to them, even the way they behave in interviews is handed to them. Nice shiny pretty ornaments. That's what separates manufactured bands from genuine artists. They can sing, but that's literally their lot. They have no idea what they're letting themselves in for when they sign on the dotted line. I seem to remember S Club 7 or someone like that saying they didn't get a single penny for several years (royalties are usually paid twice yearly).

Add to that the underlying psychopathology of people like Jesy, who believes the path to validation is to put yourself in the firing line of criticism. It's like having a nose job when you've got body dysmorphia-you don't see the change. You still feel ugly. I don't doubt she's another Caroline Flack with respect to her, and I don't doubt overdoses, self-harm and eating problems are novel issues only presenting since the band started. I have no doubt these issues predate her fame, only that fame has amplified the symptoms.

The music industry is competitive, critical, bitchy and incredibly haughty. The days of hanging around in clubs together and talking shop with a view to jamming at each other's houses with a spliff and a bottle of Jack, are dead. That's why there's a belief that true music is dead. The parasitic, money motivated machines have taken over, and machines don't empathise-they just demand more, and more, and more.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 47
Manufactured bands like this are cash cows for record companies, but there is also a race against time to recover the investments in their product.

For that reason, they have millions ploughed into capitalising on their relevance for an intense period of time where their product is drained of everything. Unlike people like Bowie, the band are in control of nothing-even the co-writing. Co-writing is a nonsense, but an important phrase to use when trying to sell the "integrity" of the band i.e. to try and fool the public/fans that their involvement with the writing and recording process is a collaboration and not an autocracy.

These kids wanted to be famous. Their brand is handed to them, their musical style is handed to them, even the way they behave in interviews is handed to them. Nice shiny pretty ornaments. That's what separates manufactured bands from genuine artists. They can sing, but that's literally their lot. They have no idea what they're letting themselves in for when they sign on the dotted line. I seem to remember S Club 7 or someone like that saying they didn't get a single penny for several years (royalties are usually paid twice yearly).

Add to that the underlying psychopathology of people like Jesy, who believes the path to validation is to put yourself in the firing line of criticism. It's like having a nose job when you've got body dysmorphia-you don't see the change. You still feel ugly. I don't doubt she's another Caroline Flack with respect to her, and I don't doubt overdoses, self-harm and eating problems are novel issues only presenting since the band started. I have no doubt these issues predate her fame, only that fame has amplified the symptoms.

The music industry is competitive, critical, bitchy and incredibly haughty. The days of hanging around in clubs together and talking shop with a view to jamming at each other's houses with a spliff and a bottle of Jack, are dead. That's why there's a belief that true music is dead. The parasitic, money motivated machines have taken over, and machines don't empathise-they just demand more, and more, and more.
Great post. Manufactured bands appear to have maximum shelf life of 10 years

Reactions: 16
And they have done well to last this long. I think they are all of an age now they could do with a break and work on their own projects perhaps with some more autonomy of their own. They all have the cash now for some passion projects.

Thanks. I posted it with a degree of annoyance as I know how hard our band has had to work, and also sadness as I also know how fun being in a band can be.

There is a culture of short-termism currently, which means you pause for breath, you lose the public's attention, and to keep people's attention these days, you have to literally haunt their bleeping dreams every night. I don't think it's a case of "demand and supply" as in "the public are asking for this, so we'll give them it", it's more that via numerous mediums, the public are being groomed to see that as the norm.

Radio 1 is a perfect example of grooming their audience. If you listen carefully to the dialogue, it's discretely laced with comments suggesting people over 25 are "old", and that music is for young people which YOU are. A manufactured band only has to have a line in a song that mentions "and you're only 17", and it's a hit. It's clever, granted, but not invisible to a trained eye.

Back to Jesy: I just think she was the first to break, and they'll all break, in one way or another. It's just a question of how and when.

This will sound so silly and armchair psychologist but I do wonder if doing The Search was detrimental to her mental health. It took her out of her comfort zone and she probably couldn't say no to it if the other 3 wanted to all do it. Plus seeing all the people auditioning, they're all starry eyed and excited and Jesy was obviously like that once but now she's experienced all the nasty, negative aspects of fame and that can't be undone. Also, if music is her passion, maybe sitting in a tv studio essentially being a judge is not what she wants to be doing with her time. I really hope she's being looked after, she reminds me of Amy Winehouse, not in terms of musical ability but in the sense that she's bubbly and attractive and good at her job but has no idea of her own self-worth or popularity.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
This will sound so silly and armchair psychologist but I do wonder if doing The Search was detrimental to her mental health. It took her out of her comfort zone and she probably couldn't say no to it if the other 3 wanted to all do it. Plus seeing all the people auditioning, they're all starry eyed and excited and Jesy was obviously like that once but now she's experienced all the nasty, negative aspects of fame and that can't be undone. Also, if music is her passion, maybe sitting in a tv studio essentially being a judge is not what she wants to be doing with her time. I really hope she's being looked after, she reminds me of Amy Winehouse, not in terms of musical ability but in the sense that she's bubbly and attractive and good at her job but has no idea of her own self-worth or popularity.
I wouldn't be surprised, as I think she got the most backlash from some of her comments on there as well. It must be hard to be a judge on one of those shows - especially when all of the people are just like you were at some point, and you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or come across the wrong way.

Great post! I also think its very telling how SYCO offered them no support (or to 1D/Louis when he signed solo with them, I recall). Even after they seemed to end their contract with them, they were still touring/recording just as much and had little to no breaks between albums. I'm actually surprised that both bands lasted as long as they did, compared to say Spice Girls and S Club 7/Juniors.

Reactions: 3
I remember I was shocked that the members of S Club 7 only made 500 grand each, considering how huge they were at the time, that's not alot, the music execs were definitely the big winners out of them. I am sure little mix have done better financially but the big winners are the invisible music execs.

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.