Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
This is the thing - even if they didn’t always have cold hard cash as financial capital, that is very clearly netted out by oodles of social capital. You might not have £700 in your bank account for a gas bill in this moment, but you’re well connected enough that you can drum up that money quickly and in less demeaning/stressful/expensive (eg interest or fines incurred) ways than someone from a lower social class than you. Also it means chances are that situation isn’t long term or permanent for you, plus your earning potential is significantly higher than someone whose best case scenario is working themselves out of childhood poverty into being… a nurse or teacher say. You also have plan bs because you’re surrounded by people with financial means, you’re not trapped in a historically underfunded northern or rural community.

Why are influencers and celebs deathly allergic to admitting any single form of privilege they may have had? Even the free kids Oyster card and decent bus services are a privilege ffs, being pretty is a privilege, good teeth are a privilege, there are so many privileges that so many of us have it doesn’t have to be a case of you have to be Jeff Bezos to have any form of advantage in life?!

• Heart
Reactions: 55

MissHavisham

VIP Member
Her giggling at every single thing he says is a bit weird.

I'm not crazy about the house. It's giving me 'upmarket but bleak Bournemouth hotel circa 1965' vibes. The kitchen is nice but quite dark, the bedroom doesn't have any windows (!), there's chintzy stuff everywhere and my bowels would definitely freeze up if I tried to take a shit in that be-carpeted bathroom/drawing room. And, like a lot of celeb homes, it feels like they spent one afternoon picking everything out of a (high end, chintozorama) catalogue.

With Lily Allen I always feel she's decided on a new persona and is just inhabiting it for a while. She played at being a cheeky working class girl for a while. Then she was a Cotswolds earth mother with the first husband, got bored of that and now she's a slick New Yorker with a new Hollywood husband. Who knows what she'll go for next.

I really love her sharp bob though.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 55

Eurgh

VIP Member
I have just remembered the very weak tea that about 15 years ago I saw Miquita off her tits at Tales of the Jackalope telling herself in the mirror that she was the most beautiful woman she'd ever seen. Over and over again.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 47

atome74

I dont agree. I think she looks fabulous. Fit and toned and like a woman who takes a lot of care of herself with a lot if money. Its such a contrast to how she used to look - fat and sweaty wearing trainers and puffing a fag
what an absolutely c*nty take

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 44

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
No way! Lily was on Miquita’s podcast recently. They grew up together, they are like family.

How strange. Maybe people close to her staged an intervention and she’s consequently cut them out of her life? 🤷🏻‍♀️ Total speculation but I can’t think what else it could be.
I don't disagree but miquita looks like she also has an eating disorder.

Reactions: 41

Et tu Brute?

VIP Member
To be fair, phones having cameras have ruined what we once knew. Now it’s all about the perfect pose, filter and lighting. We were living our best lives with no cameras, social media or eyebrows and only Maybelline mousse foundation. A simpler time 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 40

Sour Pickle

Chatty Member
I fully believe like many others on here that she has an ED. However I just see she is now hired for a campaign with Armani and is yet again a cover girl for Glamour. So she gets rewarded for her ED by the people who give her the attention she craves. Such a toxic, awful cycle. Glad I am a boring size 12 nobody.

• Heart
Reactions: 40

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
Lily went to the Brit School which is in Croydon and very much working class. Amy Winehouse and Adele went also. I feel that she was very submissive in this video. And thinks he is far more funnier than he is.
Lily also went to Bedales which has fees of between £30,000-£40,000 a year. Lily is very much not working class.

ETA; I can’t find a source that says she went to the Brits school, although I didn’t look very hard so happy to be corrected.

• Heart
Reactions: 38

dovelist

How on earth Lily ever become a Chanel muse. I genuinely don't get it.

Physically she was everything Karl disliked and derided.
I might actually know the answer to this…

I reread her book this weekend. She said that she used to buy loads of Chanel stuff and Karl was actually like why the hell are we sending Lily Allen all this free stuff and he was informed by his team that she was actually buying it and that she buys vintage Chanel stuff too. She was a huge Chanel fan and wasn’t getting freebies at that point. They then met at an event and became friends after she asked him about the design of some shoes with a gem in or something (she wanted to know how they could hold weight without breaking the gem) then she started working with them. He designed the dress she wore for the private part of her ceremony when she married Sam as well.

So I guess in short the answer is because she was a fan turned friend of Karl. He spoke about her fondly in interviews and stuff. I guess when someone takes a genuine interest in your work and you become friends you might stray from the usual type.

Reactions: 38

femmegirly

Chatty Member
My mum has been a Pilates and Yoga instructor for 40 years, still does it every day in her 70s and is very healthy. She has never looked like that. She still has a healthy amount of fat on her body and has defined muscle. Her ribs don’t show and doesn’t look skeletal in her face. Stop trying to normalise whatever Lily is doing because we all know she doesn’t look like that naturally and she clearly isn’t healthy.

• Heart
Reactions: 37

ranchdistressing

So 'ang on a minute....

She can't have a music career because of her kids....but she can do several weeks run in a theatre production (not much different to going on tour in terms of demands on time) and flit back and forth between London and New York like she's just nipping nextdoor for a cup of tea?

Get to fuck, Allen! It's nothing to do with her kids, it's to do with the fact she's fuckin' insufferable and always has been.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36

emeraldopal

Sure babe, not being a deeply mid nepo baby with a weedy voice known for a terrible work ethic and rudeness

She is doing every she can to alienate her children. I hope the dad is normal.
It really baffles me when people in the public eye say things like this knowing their children will likely see them. It also baffles me when people in the public eye say things that directly contradict things they've previously said. Anyone who's read her autobiography knows she left them for months at a time to tour when they were infants. Her music career stalled because her later albums were poorly received, not because she made some big self-sacrifice at the altar of motherhood. And I'm pretty sure they weren't in the country when she did The Pillowman play; in fact they often seem to spend whole summers apart. Seeing as theyre still only 10 and 12, I don't know how she's convincing herself that she too hasnt been largely absent for a lot of their childhoods

• Heart
Reactions: 35

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
I remember the guy she had her daughters with...was his name Seb Chew
No, it was Sam Cooper who she married. He’s always described as a ‘builder’ and she says he had no money but I think he actually has his own firm. His new wife is the daughter of the Earl of Plymouth. Yer regular ol’ brickie doesn’t normally marry a member of the aristocracy so when Lily calls him skint I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

Yel

Chatty Member
Didn't she go to a dozen different schools? Most of them fee paying.

Smacks to me of being very privileged to have so many opportunities.

I'm not sure it really stacks up that someone is working class because they possibly attended (for a short time) a world renowned performing school that happens to be in a less affluent borough 😆. It's a selective intake, so hardly that different to getting a scholarship to fee paying school.

• Heart
Reactions: 34