Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

CherryAcid

VIP Member
I think it was the gruff manliness and those leatheer gloves he used to wear haha I would sit there perving on him every episode.

Keeley has such a gorgeous face and figure, i wish we couldve seen Alex and Gene get it on haha

• Haha
Reactions: 2

hrh89

VIP Member
She really is! I've nearly watched everything she's ever been in now šŸ˜‚ though Alex has to be one of my fave characters! she just seems so lovely as well šŸ„°
Aw Iā€™ve seen a lot of stuff sheā€™s been in but not everything. I think her most impressive performance was in line of duty it was unlike anything sheā€™s ever done. Up until that point she was a little typecast but that role was so right for her! I loved her back in the spooks days too!

abitfairytale

loved life on mars and started watching ashes to ashes but have never finished it. got brit box recently so will watch it on there.
i think the creepy pierott clown put me off lol
That used to make me jump. To be fair though, I didn't like the little girl with the doll who popped up in Life on Mars either šŸ˜‚

~vix~83~

VIP Member
Love love love it! A huge John simm fan! I watched it the first time round and cried at the end! Borrowed my mums DVDs n rewatched it again and again šŸ¤£ loved ashes to ashes but not as much, think it was cos Alex knew what had happened so was tryin to much to get home!
Iā€™ve watched again on drama when itā€™s been on w few years ago and then last year found it on iplayer but havnt finished ashes to ashes yet ... canā€™t remember the end so will be a nice surprise. I think a new Life on Mars would be good to see how it worked for Sam and Annie.
gene Hunts one liners were so funny and so not pc lol

Sln2404

Just watching the last episode. Canā€™t believe it features Jimmy Saville šŸ˜‚

Kinda feels weird but Gene Hunt šŸ˜‹

• Haha

Monk

Watched life on Mars and nearly finished the first season of Ashes to Ashes - episode 7 on just now! Gene is brilliant!!! Definitely the best character!

Mookiegoose

I think Ashes to Ashes wasn't as good because Alex already knew everything about Sam. There was no real confusion for her like there was for Sam who had absolutely nee idea what was going on. She was also a bit of a superior pain in the arse. I've rewatched Life on Mars just recently, but only got as far as episode 2 of Ashes to Ashes as I just didn't care what happened to Alex.

Reactions: 1

grumpy-nosy-cow

VIP Member
i loved life on mars but although ive watched Ashes to Ashes ive never managed to het to the later episodes or the end !
Not sure why but Life in Mars held my attention more. its probably to do with that creepy clown ...I really must settle down and watch it.

hrh89

VIP Member
Just started watching Ashes again. It gives me that fluttery tummy feeling because I love it so much šŸ˜‚ that first episode is so good. The music the atmosphere, Genes entrance. Itā€™s so much fun. The pace is so different to Life on Mars. Remember Sam entering the station and itā€™s all slow mo and smoke filled. Ashes is so vibrant. I love how they made the eras so different.

The only issue I have is introducing Alex, dressing her like a high class prostitute and making Gene the ā€œheroā€ right form the beginning. They didnā€™t need to use her as eye candy sheā€™s so much more than that. I know the intention was to make the ā€œrevealā€ of her being the new DI more shocking to the officers but I think it quite a cliched way to introduce her character to the 80s scene. The writers would probably argue they were demonstrating the sexism thatā€™s prevalent in the 80s but it doesnā€™t sit well with me.
I donā€™t think itā€™s necessary just because sheā€™s a female character. It could have been done more subtly.

Last edited:

Kim Mild

VIP Member
Watched life on Mars and nearly finished the first season of Ashes to Ashes - episode 7 on just now! Gene is brilliant!!! Definitely the best character!
I think he could be the lead character in a cop show , without the time travel element.

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
Loved Life on Mars. One of my most favourite tv shows ever.
Wasnā€™t as keen on Ashes to Ashes though. I donā€™t think they got the feel of the 80ā€™s quite right somehow. I wonā€™t spoil the ending for those who havenā€™t seen it yet, but I found it quite sad and probably not for the reasons you might think.
Not sure how they could do any more episodes with how it all ends.

ThanksHun

How have I not seen this before?! Started watching when kid is I bed earlier this week and Iā€™m hooked!!

hrh89

VIP Member
I was dragged kicking & screaming to watch Life on Mars by my partner & I ended up loving it šŸ˜‚ Gene is just one of my favourite characters ever. I wasnā€™t quite as keen on Ashes to Ashes, although I did still enjoy it. I remember feeling a little let down by the ending but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s just because it wasnā€™t what I was expecting šŸ¤”
the ending was .. ok. A bit weird. I loved ashes but the fact they had to give it an end made it less effective than life on mars. The ending of life on Mars is beautiful and nothing too concrete that you can interpret it in your own way. The fact they had to give some resolution and explanation meant the ending of Ashes wasnā€™t as spectacular.

grumpy-nosy-cow

VIP Member
loved life on mars and started watching ashes to ashes but have never finished it. got brit box recently so will watch it on there.
i think the creepy pierott clown put me off lol

hrh89

VIP Member
Loooove these two programmes. Even more of a bonus that theyā€™re named after two Bowie songs šŸ™ŒšŸ»

I also have a really fucking weird crush on Gene Hunt. Pleeeease tell me Iā€™m not the only one? šŸ˜‚
Nah mate youā€™re most certainly not alone šŸ˜­ they definitely made him into more of a romantic character in Ashes which made him more appealing I think.

I've never seen the full series of either but since lockdown ive watched quite a few dramas with Phillip Gleinster and there is just something about him which i find quite endearing so i might start watching for him

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I love these shows. Seriously so well written. I remember going onto the Digital Spy forum to discuss theories and tuning in every week to watch it. The ending was so clever too!
Started rewatching it with my mum but we changed over to ER. Might need to go back to it!
I feel this show is so underrated. Itā€™s really clever and Gene is a great character!
I did read that it is having another series, not sure how they can do that?

Ashes to Ashes is my all time favourite show, I absolutely love it mainly because Iā€™m madly in love with Keeley Hawes šŸ˜ and this show sparked my obsession with her haha! Iā€™ve just started watching Life on Mars for the first time, I never watched it originally because I was only 11 so couldnā€™t be bothered lol but itā€™s just as brilliant! If anything, Gene is even more hilarious in Life On Mars
Have you seen Keeley in Spooks? Thatā€™s another great show.

Doc

VIP Member
Absolutely loved both first time round, coincidentally also found them on iplayer about November time and got through LoM!

I preferred LoM, although wonder if thatā€™s still the same 10 years + on... I remember feeling both gutted that story was wrapped up and happy that I knew the conclusion at the same time šŸ˜‚

abitfairytale

Bloody loved these!!!! Adored Life on Mars because I love John Simm :love::love: Didn't initially like Ashes to Ashes, but stuck with it and LOVED the last series. Daniel Mays as Keats was genius, and I kinda liked the ending. I cried a lot :ROFLMAO:

It went on iPlayer the day after I finally bought them all on DVD... Bastards!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: