Life after Slimming World - from holy grail to giant fail

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have done diet clubs such as slimming world and weight watchers for roughly ten years now and I am the heaviest I have ever been because it has caused me to have disordered eating and as a result develop an unhealthy relationship with food and develop into binge eating disorder.

I am now tracking calories and at the moment as long as I stay within my allowance that is all I am focusing on. For now, until I mentally recover.

xx

Reactions: 9
It hasn’t distorted my portions because I was already a diet veteran by the time I started and I wasn’t gullible enough to fall for being allowed to eat unlimited quantities of foods- I had a good idea of what works for me.

It just gave me more stupid food rules to add to the myriad of other disordered food behaviours I already had 😩

I loathe slimming clubs. I first joined one at 16 and I was still in the healthy weight category for my height
:oops: 24 years of binge/restrict yo-yo dieting has followed

Reactions: 7
I agree done sw twice. Lost 2 stone 1st timd. 2nd i hated it and felt mentally wasnt great for them.

Speaking rh fitness his video about hole world and deepthroating a banana is hilarious.
A banana shouldent have a new syn value because you mashed it.
It does though, releases the sugar.

It’s filling power. You’re more likely to over consume when mashed/smoothied as it’s a quick hit whereas chewing a banana for instant takes time. SW do say when discussing this that ultimately it’s down to the individual how they syn it and if they find their losses stalling to look at this area.

I’ve tried everything under the sun, WW/SW/CC/Macros/Shakes and the only thing that worked was SW. Followed properly (not the way you see the big influencers do like Prickard) 1/3 speed on the plate, snacking on Speed, actually reading the book and not others bad habits and it worked very well at fixing my eating habits at the time. I wasn’t binging as the syns gave me the balance I needed whilst ensuring I could still have a takeaway or social life. I didn’t do “treat nights” or syn (binge) plates, if I wanted something I had it and rarely was anything processed. I could eat as a family, they enjoyed the meals I was preparing from scratch and the healthier choices I was buying. Oh, and my consultant has remained slim, runs marathons etc... (yes I know not all are but just some balance as I’ve seen several posts eluding to the fact that all SW consultants are overweight)

When I did Macro’s it was a nightmare. We rarely ate as a family and ensuring I meet the targets was stressful. Hated it.

I have deep rooted problems that will cost a lot for a psych to sort to get my food issues sorted (No buying that tit HDE miracle book here 🤣) but for me SW made sense and that has been the best plan FOR ME. That’s the thing, weight loss whist it is ultimately about calories deficient isn’t a one plan fits all and it’s finding what works for you 😉

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
It does though, releases the sugar.
It releases no more sugar than if you were to chew it or mash it with a fork, you can’t increase nutrients of a piece of fruit by blending it. My old SW consultant used to be adamant that it did, and it’s one of the reasons I stopped going.
It’s all about filling power, you could sit and eat 1 banana and feel content, but by blending it you have to add extra fruits etc to make it into a viable drink that would satisfy your hunger, hence more calories. That’s the one thing SW will never disclose as they don’t discuss calories, but at the end of the day you will only ever lose weight and keep it off in the long term, if you are in a calorie deficit.

Reactions: 7
I used to have a big binge eating issue (not diagnosed nor that extreme) and SW emphasised that. I wouldn’t stop when I was full. I got down to just under 4st lost and mental health took over, from then I never really recovered and every time I tried again I lasted no more than a few weeks.

I do a completely different eating plan now and I’m much happier.

• Sad
Reactions: 3

Yel

I can't believe in slimming world a banana is more "points" or whatever if it's mashed. That's just crazy. No one is obese because they mash a banna on their porridge rather than have slices. All seems like a con to keep people hooked.

I recommend watching the men that made us fat if you haven't

Reactions: 2
I lost 3 stone on SW and put it all back on and then some. I’m really torn at the moment as been doing calorie counting the last few weeks and upping my exercise so much but the numbers on the scales are falling very slowly. Tempted to start back up with SW where the weight seems to come off much quicker...

Reactions: 1
I lost 3 stone on SW and put it all back on and then some. I’m really torn at the moment as been doing calorie counting the last few weeks and upping my exercise so much but the numbers on the scales are falling very slowly. Tempted to start back up with SW where the weight seems to come off much quicker...
If you have upped your exercise, that will be why. Your body will store water to repair muscles, until it gets into a cycle. Don’t give up, have you measured yourself? It may be inches rather than lb’s that you are losing.

If you have upped your exercise, that will be why. Your body will store water to repair muscles, until it gets into a cycle. Don’t give up, have you measured yourself? It may be inches rather than lb’s that you are losing.
I keep telling myself that but it’s all a bit disheartening for me if I’m honest. Good idea about measuring myself I haven’t done that yet. I am hoping for a big loss at some point but I’m just getting so frustrated when I get on the scales

Based on what you've written above, you'd do well on the Team RH Fitness plan. Looks like you're already headed in the direction they take anyway. Much better than SW and much cheaper too!

Reactions: 1
I tried SW in 2016 and managed to get down from 13 stone ish to 10 and a half. Managed to keep it off, however I had a really bad bout of depression and anxiety the following year and exercising/eating right was last thing on my mind, and I ended up going back to 12 and a half stone. In September 18 I started again and just couldn’t loose more than a few of weight, so in frustration started properly weighing my food and counting my calories based on my activity level and current weight, and took exercise a lot more seriously. Now down to 9 st 10 and feeling so much better in myself- definitely feel like I have a much better understanding of food and how it affects my body than I did on SW

I lost 8 stone over 2 years. Hit a wall with a medical problem. Due to exercise. Basically damaged my back. Put back on 4 stone. Eating crap. Tried to get back into SW but found it too restrictive 2nd time around. Decided to take control back and now on nutra check. Been on this 3 weeks and lost 12 pounds. Also have date for op to put me back together again. X

I lost 8 stone over 2 years. Hit a wall with a medical problem. Due to exercise. Basically damaged my back. Put back on 4 stone. Eating crap. Tried to get back into SW but found it too restrictive 2nd time around. Decided to take control back and now on nutra check. Been on this 3 weeks and lost 12 pounds. Also have date for op to put me back together again. X
Good luck, I hope it goes well x

Another who did SW, was a few pounds from target (lost a lot!) and now have gained it all back and more. Looking back on SW I restricted myself so much. Bringing food out with me when meeting family or friends for coffee. Cinema and snacking on fruit or homemade jellies, a dinner out with husband was always nandos - butterfly chicken, corn and salad - rice if i was feeling adventurous. The plan teaches you nothing about portion control - yeah have a plate of pasta but make sure you balance it with speed, that's not portion control, the importance of fats in your diet (good fats!) and there's almost a guilt put on you by the consultant if you had a gain. When I was on SW cause I ate no little to no fat when I did have something high in fat my body couldn't take it.
I personally wouldn't recommend the plan to anyone. To me it's not a sustainable way of life. The company itself their mindset isn't right either. Low fat sausages oh no they're not syn free or they're x syn value. But hey have ours that have more calories and are syn free. They also encourage processed food

Reactions: 4
Another who did SW, was a few pounds from target (lost a lot!) and now have gained it all back and more. Looking back on SW I restricted myself so much. Bringing food out with me when meeting family or friends for coffee. Cinema and snacking on fruit or homemade jellies, a dinner out with husband was always nandos - butterfly chicken, corn and salad - rice if i was feeling adventurous. The plan teaches you nothing about portion control - yeah have a plate of pasta but make sure you balance it with speed, that's not portion control, the importance of fats in your diet (good fats!) and there's almost a guilt put on you by the consultant if you had a gain. When I was on SW cause I ate no little to no fat when I did have something high in fat my body couldn't take it.
I personally wouldn't recommend the plan to anyone. To me it's not a sustainable way of life. The company itself their mindset isn't right either. Low fat sausages oh no they're not syn free or they're x syn value. But hey have ours that have more calories and are syn free. They also encourage processed food
This was me to a T

i lost 2stone a few years back on SW..it was the one diet i hadnt tried ! kept it off for a bit but ended up putting nearly all of it back on after having an accident and enjoyinglife a bit too much!.
im back doing it at the minute but its not doing it for me only lost a few lbs.
i have a few bug bug bear with it
1 they dont seem to activly encourage exercise in conjunction with the plan ...heard consultants tell people they had a gain because theyve done lots of exercise 🤦‍♀️
2 the muller £ucking light obssesion they are rank full of chemicals and sugar
3 alcohol syns..
4 the going round the room hearing Mary drone on endlessly about how shes had a gain again this week and doesnt know why cos she's hardly eaten anything ....and the endless clapping like a seal for everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I just got sick of paying £5 a week to be told that I have gained weight to be honest. I lost almost a stone last year but I found it like a military exercise with healthy A/B and Syns etc.

I almost felt bad having a glass of wine at the weekend and Shirley telling me that is why I have put on weight.

I do want to lose weight again but to be honest I don't eat a lot of tit and thinking maybe I should just be happy the way i am.