Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm in need of advice because I'm really desperate at this point.

I passed my theory test in 2018 and started doing 2/4 hour lessons every week (with two different driving schools) until January 2020. I sat my test twice in manual in 2019 and failed both times. Due to COVID, I was not able to take any lessons between January 2020 and now. I took a one-off lesson in October 2020, but the instructor suggested I go for automatic instead as I have real issues with the gears.

Fast forward, I've been looking for an automatic driving instructor since the restrictions lifted in July 2021 and I was only able to find one this month. I wanted a one-off lessons to see what it would be like to drive an automatic. I attended the lesson and although I enjoyed driving in automatic, I'm really getting an off vibe from the instructor:
a) I can't understand a single thing he says - he's Dutch and has the worst accent I've ever heard in my entire life, which makes it difficult for me to understand instructions etc.
b) He said it was a "bad look" that I didn't study my theory before the lesson (again, I've passed my theory test, done my mandatory hours, this lessons was merely a test run to see if I like automatic driving)
c) this really pissed me off: when the lesson finished, he asked me how much I wanted to pay, so I said I'd pay for the lesson we just had per the pricing grid on his website and he said: "No, you need to pay for the upcoming lesson as well or buy a 12 hour package for E500". I told him this lesson was a test run to see how I feel about going automatic and then commit, but he said I needed to pay for any upcoming lesson at the same time as the lesson that just finished. I managed to talk myself out of paying for any upcoming lesson - I'm not going to give him cash and if I choose to cancel, then I can say goodbye to any refund. Previous driving schools operated their payments electronically, so much easier to trace, but cash- no.
d) He wants me to fill in a form on what has improved and not improved after each lesson and hand it over to him. While I appreciate the effort, I'm here to pass my test, no write a performance report on myself.

While he was a really good driving instructor and I learned more in those 2 hours with him than I did in 6 months with my previous instructor, I'm a bit weirded out. It's really difficult to find automatic instructors at a reasonable rate in my area (a lot don't cover my area though central) and I really want to get my license. I've already spent so much money, I can't just give up now. Then again, I don't want to go down the rabbit whole of being rinsed out of my money with no results in sight. I've no one to drive with, so lessons are my only option.

If anyone can provide some advice / suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!

I passed my theory test in 2018 and started doing 2/4 hour lessons every week (with two different driving schools) until January 2020. I sat my test twice in manual in 2019 and failed both times. Due to COVID, I was not able to take any lessons between January 2020 and now. I took a one-off lesson in October 2020, but the instructor suggested I go for automatic instead as I have real issues with the gears.

Fast forward, I've been looking for an automatic driving instructor since the restrictions lifted in July 2021 and I was only able to find one this month. I wanted a one-off lessons to see what it would be like to drive an automatic. I attended the lesson and although I enjoyed driving in automatic, I'm really getting an off vibe from the instructor:
a) I can't understand a single thing he says - he's Dutch and has the worst accent I've ever heard in my entire life, which makes it difficult for me to understand instructions etc.
b) He said it was a "bad look" that I didn't study my theory before the lesson (again, I've passed my theory test, done my mandatory hours, this lessons was merely a test run to see if I like automatic driving)
c) this really pissed me off: when the lesson finished, he asked me how much I wanted to pay, so I said I'd pay for the lesson we just had per the pricing grid on his website and he said: "No, you need to pay for the upcoming lesson as well or buy a 12 hour package for E500". I told him this lesson was a test run to see how I feel about going automatic and then commit, but he said I needed to pay for any upcoming lesson at the same time as the lesson that just finished. I managed to talk myself out of paying for any upcoming lesson - I'm not going to give him cash and if I choose to cancel, then I can say goodbye to any refund. Previous driving schools operated their payments electronically, so much easier to trace, but cash- no.
d) He wants me to fill in a form on what has improved and not improved after each lesson and hand it over to him. While I appreciate the effort, I'm here to pass my test, no write a performance report on myself.

While he was a really good driving instructor and I learned more in those 2 hours with him than I did in 6 months with my previous instructor, I'm a bit weirded out. It's really difficult to find automatic instructors at a reasonable rate in my area (a lot don't cover my area though central) and I really want to get my license. I've already spent so much money, I can't just give up now. Then again, I don't want to go down the rabbit whole of being rinsed out of my money with no results in sight. I've no one to drive with, so lessons are my only option.

Why not just find someone else now to take manual lessons with - get up to speed with all other aspects of driving and then nearer the point when you are getting more ready for your test then look for someone to do some automatic lessons? Driving an automatic is easy and if you can get comfortable with all the other aspects of driving you won’t need to worry too much, it will be an easy transition.

Why not just find someone else now to take manual lessons with - get up to speed with all other aspects of driving and then nearer the point when you are getting more ready for your test then look for someone to do some automatic lessons? Driving an automatic is easy and if you can get comfortable with all the other aspects of driving you won’t need to worry too much, it will be an easy transition.
I get the logic, but to be honest, I don't want to do this, because gearing takes a lot of effort and that's my main problem. I want to pass my test as soon as possible and if I hire a manual instructor, it's going to drag for ages again. That's why I'm transitioning to automatic. I'm OK with observation / positioning / turns etc. The issue that caused me to fail my tests is around gears & clutch. If I start focusing on gearing only to sit the test in automatic later on, it's going to be a waste of energy and I'm going to get even more scattered. I did more than 100 hours in manual and it's just not working out, unfortunately. The key is to focus on my strong points (observation / positioning) to pass the test and discard my weak points (gearing). I simply want to pass the test.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1

2 of my best friends have switched to manual after struggling with the gears and have absolutely loved it. I did manual and I must admit, I got to a point where I thought if I failed my last test then I maybe would have tried it but I knew I had no issues with the gears etc. I’m really glad I didn’t try and switch to automatic, just like when I buy my first car - I’ll stick with manual even though my boyfriend wants me to drive automatic. Added benefit of I can drive manual and automatic too. What is it you find the issue with the gears, do you feel that way in lessons too or just on test?

Have you looked at driving schools such as Red and BSM? They will have automatic probably. If not I would also suggest asking on any local facebook groups you’ve got? Automatic instructors do tend to be harder to find, my friends did struggle finding them too. I personally wouldn’t pay ahead for the reasons you said - I don’t like that personally and I don’t like the cash trail either. You need that flexibility with lessons I found. Automatic tends to be more expensive lesson wise than manual too so something to consider, my friend is paying £38 for an HOUR compared to my £25 per hour. Also I think that writing a form thing is a bit much IMO - me and my instructor just discussed it at the end. Also I didn’t know a bloody thing about my theory before my first lesson 😂

Reactions: 1

Maybe trust your instinct. If you don’t like the instructor, you might not like being in the car with him for 2 hours for a lesson

Or if you feel taking lessons is urgent, book the smallest amount you can fora block booking while searching for another automatic instructor.

Reactions: 5
@noseybirdxo Thank you.

It's a pity because I love driving with gears (I find it thrilling to change gears - don't ask it's weird ha), but I find it really difficult to change gears without looking at them, coasting and progression are a big issue as well. Progression and gear change when turning are a big issue for me. It's not rocket science, but because I don't have anyone to drive with and have to rely on the lessons, I really can't keep failing the test because of the gears. I'm not too fond of automatic cars to be honest - automatic driving is plain weird, but it's so easy because I can concentrate on my position / observation.

I'm based in Ireland and automatic lessons here are about the same price as manual lessons. The problem is that there are very very few schools which offer automatic lessons and for some reason, my area is rarely covered for automatic lessons. I called big schools, private instructors and most were either fully booked until end of 2022 or simply don't cover my area. It's been a massive hassle.

The writing bit felt like school - never seen this before. The point is to know how to drive on a practical level. My previous instructors had a quick chat at the end of the lesson too. As much as I appreciate the idea, it felt a bit too academic for me. He told me himself I clearly know how to drive and without me telling him how many hours I already took (because I wanted him to assess me properly) he said it's clear I've had 100+ hours (which is true). So, the writing bit is pointless at this stage.

Maybe trust your instinct. If you don’t like the instructor, you might not like being in the car with him for 2 hours for a lesson

Or if you feel taking lessons is urgent, book the smallest amount you can fora block booking while searching for another automatic instructor.
Yeah, I agree. I mean, those two hours I spent with him on Thursday were the longest. I normally enjoy driving lessons and never look at the time, but with this one, I kept looking at the time on the screen every 5 minutes. I think the fact that I couldn't understand a thing he was saying had a lot to do with it as well. I need to be able to communicate freely with the instructor and I felt a huge language barrier because his English is unfortunately very broken (not trying to shade anyone with an accent, but I need to understand the guidance, which wasn't the case here).

It's not super urgent, so I might add another lesson in broad daylight this time (this one was at night, so it added to the uneasiness/discomfort) and keep looking for another instructor in the meantime.

I get the logic, but to be honest, I don't want to do this, because gearing takes a lot of effort and that's my main problem. I want to pass my test as soon as possible and if I hire a manual instructor, it's going to drag for ages again. That's why I'm transitioning to automatic. I'm OK with observation / positioning / turns etc. The issue that caused me to fail my tests is around gears & clutch. If I start focusing on gearing only to sit the test in automatic later on, it's going to be a waste of energy and I'm going to get even more scattered. I did more than 100 hours in manual and it's just not working out, unfortunately. The key is to focus on my strong points (observation / positioning) to pass the test and discard my weak points (gearing). I simply want to pass the test.
If you have taken that many hours of manual lessons and your only issue is around using the gears, then frankly transitioning to an automatic should be a breeze. A few lessons in an auto just to get comfortable and run through your manoeuvres should be enough to get you ready for the test. The automatic is essentially stop/go control with your right foot so it takes all the other thought process and effort out of driving. I’d go another lesson with the same guy, see how it goes and see what you think after that?

Reactions: 2
@noseybirdxo Thank you.

It's a pity because I love driving with gears (I find it thrilling to change gears - don't ask it's weird ha), but I find it really difficult to change gears without looking at them, coasting and progression are a big issue as well. Progression and gear change when turning are a big issue for me. It's not rocket science, but because I don't have anyone to drive with and have to rely on the lessons, I really can't keep failing the test because of the gears. I'm not too fond of automatic cars to be honest - automatic driving is plain weird, but it's so easy because I can concentrate on my position / observation.

I'm based in Ireland and automatic lessons here are about the same price as manual lessons. The problem is that there are very very few schools which offer automatic lessons and for some reason, my area is rarely covered for automatic lessons. I called big schools, private instructors and most were either fully booked until end of 2022 or simply don't cover my area. It's been a massive hassle.

The writing bit felt like school - never seen this before. The point is to know how to drive on a practical level. My previous instructors had a quick chat at the end of the lesson too. As much as I appreciate the idea, it felt a bit too academic for me. He told me himself I clearly know how to drive and without me telling him how many hours I already took (because I wanted him to assess me properly) he said it's clear I've had 100+ hours (which is true). So, the writing bit is pointless at this stage.

Yeah, I agree. I mean, those two hours I spent with him on Thursday were the longest. I normally enjoy driving lessons and never look at the time, but with this one, I kept looking at the time on the screen every 5 minutes. I think the fact that I couldn't understand a thing he was saying had a lot to do with it as well. I need to be able to communicate freely with the instructor and I felt a huge language barrier because his English is unfortunately very broken (not trying to shade anyone with an accent, but I need to understand the guidance, which wasn't the case here).

It's not super urgent, so I might add another lesson in broad daylight this time (this one was at night, so it added to the uneasiness/discomfort) and keep looking for another instructor in the meantime.
Are you in Ireland or Northern Ireland? If you’re in Northern Ireland, depending on the area I could recommend a wonderful instructor who was my first instructor and it was only cos she moved there that I had to change. Did you ever spend time just going through gears with an instructor? Like just moving them about whilst the car is off, I’m pretty sure you can do that without the engine on. To begin with, I asked my instructor to tell me when to move down and at what point and that really helped me. Certain cars will give you an indication as to whether you’re in the right gear as far as I am aware? Even just picturing the gear stick icons whilst you’re doing that - you can feel if you’re in the wrong gear and if you’re going through neutral when changing - you can’t really go too wrong in my opinion.

Maybe have another automatic lesson and see how you feel? As Betty said it should be a breeze for you after that many manual lessons - my friend had about 8/9 automatic lessons after numerous manual ones and passed. If you think it’s going to be better for you and you have limited option then you may have to just grin and bare what you can find, however an instructor you feel comfortable with is a massive help. The things I’ve said above are things to consider if automatic proves to be hard to get a good instructor for, just remember instructors are there to make you comfortable and help you to learn so if you have concerns then they should help you with that.

@noseybirdxo @BettyCrockerr Thank you.

I'm actually based in Dublin. Yes, I did spend time with my instructors going through the gears. I know the where each gear is and when to switch gears, but the clutch and gear work at the same time are an issue still. I have instances where I'm absolutely fine changing gears without looking at the box, but sometimes, the gear gets stuck in between two gears or I start coasting. I think one of my main issues is around switching gears at turns. I'm OK on a straight road, but the turns always stress me out and I can never get it right.

Yeah, I think I'll have another automatic lesson (in broad daylight this time), see how I feel about it all. Perhaps I'll have a better experience the second time around and feel more comfortable around the instructor. I'll give it a second shot and see. I've tried several schools at this point, I don't have many options left unfortunately.

Right, first lesson down.

It wasn’t a disaster but it wasn't great. He said I was very heavy footed on the accelerator. Gear changes didn't massively compute between keeping an eye on the road, steering wheel position, clutch and gears I was bamboozled! But, we started out in an empty car park and then we switched, got a main road and switched again and off I went. Drove for a good while. I think I was just being overly cautious, he said younger learners have no fear :)😅 so the older (me) can be a bit too cautious, but once I was on thee straight road and kept it light I was ok. I'll get insured on my mums car as that's what I'll be practising in between my lessons. She said she'd take me to the same car park and we can go over gears etc.

So glad I did it. Automatic is still in the back of my head, but my instructor came highly recommended and he is incredible so I'm gonna hang tough with manual and practice my gears. It's still only Lesson 1 so we'll get there! Thanks all for the push, many more updates to come on my journey to finally being the designated driver in my group. I owe a lot of spins!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Right, first lesson down.

It wasn’t a disaster but it wasn't great. He said I was very heavy footed on the accelerator. Gear changes didn't massively compute between keeping an eye on the road, steering wheel position, clutch and gears I was bamboozled! But, we started out in an empty car park and then we switched, got a main road and switched again and off I went. Drove for a good while. I think I was just being overly cautious, he said younger learners have no fear :)😅 so the older (me) can be a bit too cautious, but once I was on thee straight road and kept it light I was ok. I'll get insured on my mums car as that's what I'll be practising in between my lessons. She said she'd take me to the same car park and we can go over gears etc.

So glad I did it. Automatic is still in the back of my head, but my instructor came highly recommended and he is incredible so I'm gonna hang tough with manual and practice my gears. It's still only Lesson 1 so we'll get there! Thanks all for the push, many more updates to come on my journey to finally being the designated driver in my group. I owe a lot of spins!
Sounds very similar to me, I was heavy on my brake to begin with (and after each lockdown the first 15 mins of my lesson would be a bit heavy) but I soon learnt what my instructor was telling me about it and it made me feel more in control. I think you’re right about being cautious, I started learning a couple of months before I was 25 and then passed a week after my 27th (covid lockdowns meant it was a 2 year process 😂) Sounds like a very normal first lesson and you should be proud of taking the step to do it! You’re not gonna be a master at gears first lesson so just trust the process. I can’t wait to hear your updates! 💙

Sounds very similar to me, I was heavy on my brake to begin with (and after each lockdown the first 15 mins of my lesson would be a bit heavy) but I soon learnt what my instructor was telling me about it and it made me feel more in control. I think you’re right about being cautious, I started learning a couple of months before I was 25 and then passed a week after my 27th (covid lockdowns meant it was a 2 year process 😂) Sounds like a very normal first lesson and you should be proud of taking the step to do it! You’re not gonna be a master at gears first lesson so just trust the process. I can’t wait to hear your updates! 💙
Exactly, a very normal first lesson well done @Dancing Dave - you haven’t done any of this before so of course you’re going to be heavy footed or whatever. Well done for giving it a go 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@noseybirdxo @BettyCrockerr Thank you.

I'm actually based in Dublin. Yes, I did spend time with my instructors going through the gears. I know the where each gear is and when to switch gears, but the clutch and gear work at the same time are an issue still. I have instances where I'm absolutely fine changing gears without looking at the box, but sometimes, the gear gets stuck in between two gears or I start coasting. I think one of my main issues is around switching gears at turns. I'm OK on a straight road, but the turns always stress me out and I can never get it right.

Yeah, I think I'll have another automatic lesson (in broad daylight this time), see how I feel about it all. Perhaps I'll have a better experience the second time around and feel more comfortable around the instructor. I'll give it a second shot and see. I've tried several schools at this point, I don't have many options left unfortunately.
I know a fantastic driving school in Maynooth if you are close by that area and they have 2 automatic cars. I was late to learn and I never thought I would get there but this school and the owner in particular was just fantastic and really nice. Let me know if it's near you and I can give you details.

• Heart
I know a fantastic driving school in Maynooth if you are close by that area and they have 2 automatic cars. I was late to learn and I never thought I would get there but this school and the owner in particular was just fantastic and really nice. Let me know if it's near you and I can give you details.
Thank you!

It's roughly 30 minutes away from where I live. I don't mind traveling to meet the instructor to be honest. I was actually contemplating taking lessons in Kildare last summer because I thought I'd have better luck there. Raheny is where I sat my previous tests and given it has the lowest pass rates in the country, maybe switching test centres would help as well. So, yes, if you're able to share their details, I'd be really grateful.

I don't know if I'll ever have kids, but the thought of me taking them to school by bus or Luas is a bit sad ha. I'm turning 32 this year and I really want to overcome this block of not having a full driving license.

They have an onsite driving track to get you comfortable and they do intensive courses. So you could do a few hours at a go. I've had a few driving instructors and these guys were the first bunch that actually made it enjoyable. Padriac was my instructor and he's the co-owner. Couldn't have asked for a nicer and more patient teacher 😅.
I have 2 kids and honestly they were the reason I finally got my licence .

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@Goodluckwiththebook Thank you so much!

It's really cool they have an onsite driving track! Never seen this before. The fees are fairly standard, so that's pretty good. I'm gonna ring them tomorrow, hopefully, they're not fully booked.

• Heart
I drove by myself today! Only up the road to Greggs and then I was too shook to actually go into Greggs so came straight back. Actual driving was fine but I'm struggling so much with the clutch in our car, it just doesn't behave the way I'm used to when learning my instructors car. Definitely felt like other people on the road were judging me but in reality they probably didn't notice anything 😂

I did manage to reverse park into our bay at home though on first attempt 😎 and then went back to the car twice to check the handbrake was deffo on 😂

My bf says I just need more experience driving his car and I'll soon adjust so we're gonna do some short journeys throughout the week.

I've ordered something to collect from matalan at the big shopping park to force myself to drive out this week as well lol

Reactions: 6
I drove by myself today! Only up the road to Greggs and then I was too shook to actually go into Greggs so came straight back. Actual driving was fine but I'm struggling so much with the clutch in our car, it just doesn't behave the way I'm used to when learning my instructors car. Definitely felt like other people on the road were judging me but in reality they probably didn't notice anything 😂

I did manage to reverse park into our bay at home though on first attempt 😎 and then went back to the car twice to check the handbrake was deffo on 😂

My bf says I just need more experience driving his car and I'll soon adjust so we're gonna do some short journeys throughout the week.

I've ordered something to collect from matalan at the big shopping park to force myself to drive out this week as well lol
I struggled with the clutch in my boyfriends car, his was much higher than what I’d learnt in! I still do have moments of not liking it hahah. Well done for getting out there x