Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Had it for ages (still another year on it) . thanks for all this info, it really helps when Google doesn't!
Make sure you renew it in good time before your test - mine was running out the day after one of mine and I had to reschedule it (lol hadnā€™t even clicked that it expires after 10 years - it even reminded my friend to check her driving license and hers had expired!) it came really quickly but just donā€™t get caught out by it is all x

Reactions: 2
Just found this thread, I had my first driving test today and failed. Itā€™s a little frustrating because I got no minors, but I made a really stupid mistake where I was driving down a straight road with a mini roundabout at the end, Iā€™d never been down it before and I honestly thought that it was 2 lanes with oncoming traffic (ie a normal road) but it was actually a one way street so I needed to be in the right lane for the roundabout, whereas I positioned myself to the right of the left hand lane (if that makes sense). I was a silly mistake but I wasnā€™t too down because what can I do now, whatā€™s done is done! I think I was also feeling stressed as it was the sat nav independent driving stage but turns out I was one of the people who had to do follow the signs.

I didnā€™t feel so bad, I know itā€™s my fault and the examiner was actually very nice at the end but my driving instructor has made me feel terrible. I had the silent treatment all the way home and he called me an idiot a lot and kept telling me how disappointed he was in me as he needs to have a good amount of passes for his instructor record. I just feel like itā€™s really knocked my confidence now and I feel like a total moron. Honestly just hoping I can pass at some point so I can move on šŸ˜­

Just needed to vent, I didnā€™t tell my family I was taking it as couldnā€™t deal with the added pressure!

• Sad
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Just found this thread, I had my first driving test today and failed. Itā€™s a little frustrating because I got no minors, but I made a really stupid mistake where I was driving down a straight road with a mini roundabout at the end, Iā€™d never been down it before and I honestly thought that it was 2 lanes with oncoming traffic (ie a normal road) but it was actually a one way street so I needed to be in the right lane for the roundabout, whereas I positioned myself to the right of the left hand lane (if that makes sense). I was a silly mistake but I wasnā€™t too down because what can I do now, whatā€™s done is done! I think I was also feeling stressed as it was the sat nav independent driving stage but turns out I was one of the people who had to do follow the signs.

I didnā€™t feel so bad, I know itā€™s my fault and the examiner was actually very nice at the end but my driving instructor has made me feel terrible. I had the silent treatment all the way home and he called me an idiot a lot and kept telling me how disappointed he was in me as he needs to have a good amount of passes for his instructor record. I just feel like itā€™s really knocked my confidence now and I feel like a total moron. Honestly just hoping I can pass at some point so I can move on šŸ˜­
Are you being serious? If my driving instructor had said that to me, he wouldnā€™t be my driving instructor anymore and a complaint would be being made!
Thereā€™s no excuse to talk to anyone like that! I could tell my driving instructor was disappointed when I failed, but he was very nice and polite about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

As someone who took 6 tests (over 25 years!) to pass, please don't be too hard on yourself. And if possible get a new instructor asap because yours sounds like a complete twit. How dare he speak to you like that? - I'm vicariously angry on your behalf!

I didn't realise how much difference a good instructor makes until I had one who was good (the previous ones were not, for various reasons!). Mine was the most patient man in the world and only ever said encouraging things - after I failed my first test with him (4th overall) he told me not to worry, he thought it was a bit harsh and I was such a good driver he knew I'd pass next time :) And even when I didn't then next time he just gave me some more encouraging words and told me to apply asap for another test. And that one I did pass (5 years ago now).

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Ahh youā€™ve made me feel so much better ā¤. Itā€™s so weird because he is normally pretty patient and nice, suddenly he seemed genuinely angry! I took my test in Banbury today and I canā€™t get another test there until June but I am going on holiday to Somerset in February and there are loads of tests available in Yeovil. Have booked, totally rogue but thought may as well give it a go!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Could be he was just having an off day, but really there's no way he should call you an idiot, bad day or not.

Wishing you lots of luck for your next test. Just keep in mind that you don't have to drive absolutely flawlessly, just well enough. And if you make a mistake, don't panic, because one of the things they are looking for is how you correct it.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Ahh youā€™ve made me feel so much better ā¤. Itā€™s so weird because he is normally pretty patient and nice, suddenly he seemed genuinely angry! I took my test in Banbury today and I canā€™t get another test there until June but I am going on holiday to Somerset in February and there are loads of tests available in Yeovil. Have booked, totally rogue but thought may as well give it a go!
Have a look at Speedy Tests, they can look for Banbury cancellations for you that are earlier than June! x

If you decide to drive in another town for your test I'd highly recommend doing some lessons/practice there so you're a bit familiar with the roads.

I passed today at 11:11 I picked the luckiest time after two previous fails!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I passed today at 11:11 I picked the luckiest time after two previous fails!
Congratulations! It will change your life, it really will. And don't worry if you feel nervous the first time you go out on your own, that's perfectly natural :)

Congratulations! It will change your life, it really will. And don't worry if you feel nervous the first time you go out on your own, that's perfectly natural :)
Thank you, I need a car first haha! Iā€™m having a celebratory meal and a bev tonight after I havenā€™t drank since I began dry Jan so Iā€™m gonna go car shopping tomorrow xx

Thank you, I need a car first haha! Iā€™m having a celebratory meal and a bev tonight after I havenā€™t drank since I began dry Jan so Iā€™m gonna go car shopping tomorrow xx
Congrats on passing your test! Third time lucky! Love 11:11 šŸ¤©šŸ¤ what car are you thinking of getting? x

First driving lesson booked! Two weeks time šŸ™ƒā¤ Thanks to all for answering my silly questions!

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Just needed to vent, I didnā€™t tell my family I was taking it as couldnā€™t deal with the added pressure!
Just to echo everyone else - your instructor is bang out of order, his pass rate is not your problem! Glad you're not letting it get you down, you're clearly a decent driver with no minors who made a mistake which is really easily done!

Good luck for your next go, you'll smash it!

• Heart
Thanks so much everyone, youā€™ve made me feel so much better ā¤. And big congrats to KB2611! Drove my husband to Sainsburyā€™s to do a shop so getting back in the game šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 4
Congrats on passing your test! Third time lucky! Love 11:11 šŸ¤©šŸ¤ what car are you thinking of getting? x
Thank you, I know Iā€™m absolutely buzzing what a time! Iā€™m looking at the new micra or the new i10. X

Thanks so much everyone, youā€™ve made me feel so much better ā¤. And big congrats to KB2611! Drove my husband to Sainsburyā€™s to do a shop so getting back in the game šŸ˜‚
Thank you ā˜ŗ

Reactions: 1
Thank you, I know Iā€™m absolutely buzzing what a time! Iā€™m looking at the new micra or the new i10. X

Thank you ā˜ŗ
my first instructor had a new micra ascenza back in 2019 and it was really nice to drive and inside too! i like the new i10s x

my first instructor had a new micra ascenza back in 2019 and it was really nice to drive and inside too! i like the new i10s x
My fave car is the old DS3 but my insurance on an older car is coming at 2K with a black box but admiral have quoted me Ā£500 on a new car.