Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I passed my test aged 37. Passed my degree aged 35. Bought a house aged 36. Got married at 28. There’s no perfect time to do life stuff. Driving lessons are bloody expensive and then as a young driver, insurance is almost non affordable. If you’re funding it all yourself and others have had parental help then I’d tell them to pipe down a little!
needed this, thank you lovely 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I passed my test many years ago (failed on the 1st attempt, that was my 2nd). I slept for about an hour the night before as I was so consumed with anxiety. Heart pounding. Couldn't eat that morning. I irrationally thought I'd mess up and crash the car. I considered ringing up and cancelling it that morning.

I did it that morning and passed.

Moral is, don't disbelieve in yourself, you can get through it even if you're anxious.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I stopped driving two years ago because my track record was as follows:

1. Accumulated 100 hours of driving manual with a snake of a driving company pushing for more lessons. Failed the test 1st attempt.

2. Moved to another driving school. Manual again and when I sat the test, the instructor’s car was apparently not road ready due to some engine noise. On top of it, the instructor tried to fleece me on tear day by asking for more money than agreed. Failed the test 2nd time.

Stopped driving for 2 years because of COVID.

3. Two years later, moved to automatic. The instructor was awful. Each session I was asked to take written notes and his English was so bad, I couldn’t understand a thing.

Stopped driving for 2 years again.

I’m now on my last learning permit, so if I fail, I’ll had to sit the theory again etc.

I found another instructor that does automatic but after Googling his name, I found out he was charged with battery two decades ago after punching a female family member. It kinda turned me off.

I’m honestly wondering if I should give up on driving altogether because this path has been fraught with so many obstacles. I gotta say, getting your license in Ireland is tough. When I see 16 year olds driving in the US and I’m a grown adult who still can’t, it saddens me 😂

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I stopped driving two years ago because my track record was as follows:

1. Accumulated 100 hours of driving manual with a snake of a driving company pushing for more lessons. Failed the test 1st attempt.

2. Moved to another driving school. Manual again and when I sat the test, the instructor’s car was apparently not road ready due to some engine noise. On top of it, the instructor tried to fleece me on tear day by asking for more money than agreed. Failed the test 2nd time.

Stopped driving for 2 years because of COVID.

3. Two years later, moved to automatic. The instructor was awful. Each session I was asked to take written notes and his English was so bad, I couldn’t understand a thing.

Stopped driving for 2 years again.

I’m now on my last learning permit, so if I fail, I’ll had to sit the theory again etc.

I found another instructor that does automatic but after Googling his name, I found out he was charged with battery two decades ago after punching a female family member. It kinda turned me off.

I’m honestly wondering if I should give up on driving altogether because this path has been fraught with so many obstacles. I gotta say, getting your license in Ireland is tough. When I see 16 year olds driving in the US and I’m a grown adult who still can’t, it saddens me 😂
I have a lot of family in Canada so I know how you feel but the test isn’t the same. I’ve seen foreigners who come here say that ours is much harder so don’t feel disheartened

• Heart
Reactions: 2