Learning to drive #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It sounds easier said than done but try and act like it’s not an exam, like you can drive (because you clearly can to be at test standard) and you’re just giving someone a lift. They make it very easy as in they will clearly instruct you throughout so it’s just a case of following instructions and driving safely over everything else. Best of luck with it on the day. What time is your test?
It's at 10.14, I've got a lesson at 9 before that

Only just found this thread but I failed my test because I hit the kerb for the first time ever 😭. I can barely remember how I did it because it was when I was using the satnav and I got stressed because the examiner kept repeating what it was saying as if I was following it wrong so I panicked and massively misjudged a turn. I thought I’d finished before then tbh because I made a stupid mistake coming towards a roundabout but that was only a minor. I’m gutted because I was so close and just made a stupid mistake I’ve never made before and now can’t get another test until August.
Does anyone know a good app for getting earlier tests? I don’t want to leave it until August as I’ll have forgotten a lot by then but can’t keep paying for lessons until then.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Only just found this thread but I failed my test because I hit the kerb for the first time ever 😭. I can barely remember how I did it because it was when I was using the satnav and I got stressed because the examiner kept repeating what it was saying as if I was following it wrong so I panicked and massively misjudged a turn. I thought I’d finished before then tbh because I made a stupid mistake coming towards a roundabout but that was only a minor. I’m gutted because I was so close and just made a stupid mistake I’ve never made before and now can’t get another test until August.
Does anyone know a good app for getting earlier tests? I don’t want to leave it until August as I’ll have forgotten a lot by then but can’t keep paying for lessons until then.
Testi
I booked a test miles away where I knew always had spaces. Went on Testi and asked for cancellations where I wanted

Sorry about your experience, my failure was heartbreaking but you will soon forget and be able to move on.

I agree Testi, I also used one called SpeedyTests but that wasn't as good.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Please don't beat yourself up over your fail. My first test (well, 4th technically but the other 3 I failed were 20+ years earlier) I drove perfectly until I came to a junction where the examiner had asked me to turn right. I pulled forward at the junction but she said I was moving too far forward and braked to stop me. I had no minors just that one major. I was kicking myself for weeks afterwards, especially when the next test I had was a complete disaster. But then on my 3rd (or 6th) go I passed and it was all worthwhile.
Hope you get a cancellation soon :)

• Heart
So I passed first time!! Felt a bit nervous made a few mistakes in the lesson before really messed up a reverse bay park
But had a lovely examiner she was quite chatty and really put me at ease asked me to do a reverse bay park and I did it no problem
Honestly the banana works along with 2 kalms and just relax and take your time
Still can't believe I did it

• Heart
Reactions: 13
So I passed first time!! Felt a bit nervous made a few mistakes in the lesson before really messed up a reverse bay park
But had a lovely examiner she was quite chatty and really put me at ease asked me to do a reverse bay park and I did it no problem
well done lovely, drive safe ❤

• Heart
Fantastic. Well done. I truly believe three happy banana vibes 😂

• Heart
Hi everyone, just looking for some advice, I’ve been having lessons for over a year now I know that’s ridiculously long. I’m peri menopausal and having terrible anxiety along with the rest of the awful symptoms. Any way my test is booked soon but I still haven’t even done all the manoeuvres no emergency stop at all and very few of the others let alone show me tell me. Whenever I have a lesson the instructor doesn’t have a plan for me and he asks what I want to do. Obviously since I’m so nervous I rarely say what it is I need to do because well I’m nervous and domt want to attempt the things I know I need to do🤦‍♀️I also do want to annoy him etc. Its constant criticism with the odd well done but the damage is already done the more he criticises the more anxious I get and it just gets worse. I know I’m not the best far from it. I don’t know wether I should just quit tbh 🤦‍♀️😴xx

• Sad
Hi everyone, just looking for some advice, I’ve been having lessons for over a year now I know that’s ridiculously long. I’m peri menopausal and having terrible anxiety along with the rest of the awful symptoms. Any way my test is booked soon but I still haven’t even done all the manoeuvres no emergency stop at all and very few of the others let alone show me tell me. Whenever I have a lesson the instructor doesn’t have a plan for me and he asks what I want to do. Obviously since I’m so nervous I rarely say what it is I need to do because well I’m nervous and domt want to attempt the things I know I need to do🤦‍♀️I also do want to annoy him etc. Its constant criticism with the odd well done but the damage is already done the more he criticises the more anxious I get and it just gets worse. I know I’m not the best far from it. I don’t know wether I should just quit tbh 🤦‍♀️😴xx
Did your instructor telll you to apply for your practical test? If so, you are ready. Please don’t quit. You’ve come this far. You can do it. I failed 3 times. I was the most nervous driver. I still am to be honest. Deep breaths rescue remedy. Banana and as much practice as you can.

Honestly I’m the same- had lessons for over a year (and still failed 😭🤣) and was a little nervous to actually ask my instructor to go over specific things. I actually didn’t practice an emergency stop until the morning of my exam and only properly went through the show me tell me questions the lesson before, which worked well as they were fresh in my mind. It could be your instructor follows a similar method but it might be worth asking.
The way I encouraged myself to speak up was by remembering that I’m paying a ridiculous amount of money per lesson and that if I don’t get the most out of them it’s a waste. Maybe make a plan for yourself ready for your next lesson so when he asks what you want to cover you can say that. If you have his number you could even message him before hand so he can plan a route based on what you want and you avoid the anxiety of saying to his face.
It can be disheartening when you feel like every lesson you’re constantly making mistakes but I think sometimes instructors can be overly strict about them to keep you on top form for the exam. Try to keep that mindset for your next lessons and maybe give yourself something to look to afterwards so you don’t just get home and dwell on it too much xx.