LBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've noticed that their handovers are a bit cold, totally different personalities/presenting styles so probably just don't gel. At least they do handovers though, I remember that Mike Graham & Matthew Wright (whose shows were back to back) didn't do them - now they really hated each other! I swear that James also clashed with Iain Lee (who used to have Cristo's slot) before.
It was the same back in the early noughties, when James O'B did the 7-10am Sunday slot on LBC and Matthew Wright was hired for the 10-1 show. They never acknowledged each other. Apparently J O'B had been dumped from being a regular panelist on the Wright Stuff and bore him an enormous grudge. For years afterwards, when he got his current show, O'Brien made snarky references to it.

Reactions: 2
Damn you insomnia 😐
Heard some of Clive Bull through the night, it was a decent show with diverse topics, some current affairs, best smartphone recommendations with a techie guy etc.
Some of the better shows are through the wee small hours, with interesting callers too, the likes of shouty 'Adam from Westminster' and the crazy christian Ken seem to have been binned though??

Reactions: 1
James OB is getting more and more insufferable daily. Occasionally a really articulate yet seemingly disagreeable caller gets through his producer Ava (if you follower her on twitter, she’s basically like a mini James) and James straight away cuts them off after ‘deciding their not worth his time’. Anyone with an iota of intelligence and a different view point doesn’t stand a chance!

I noticed Steve’s Corey the producer was off to Iain dale which is interesting.There seems to be a lot of internal changes reading between the lines.

I generally listen throughout the day but I do agree, it’s starting to feel a bit stale in parts.Even the guest presenters are getting a bit meh.

Reactions: 3
James OB is getting more and more insufferable daily. Occasionally a really articulate yet seemingly disagreeable caller gets through his producer Ava (if you follower her on twitter, she’s basically like a mini James) and James straight away cuts them off after ‘deciding their not worth his time’. Anyone with an iota of intelligence and a different view point doesn’t stand a chance!

I noticed Steve’s Corey the producer was off to Iain dale which is interesting.There seems to be a lot of internal changes reading between the lines.

I generally listen throughout the day but I do agree, it’s starting to feel a bit stale in parts.Even the guest presenters are getting a bit meh.
I get the impression that Steve gets the young beginners to break in before they go on to the more grown up presenters. 😉

I too find I'm switching off more often that I used to. After years of Brexit and then a long spell of pandemic, I was hoping that the news might become more varied but, no, we're back in the Middle East. There's only so much that can be said about any topic and it gets said over and over again. I guess that's the problem with the station's phone-in format. Most listeners only tune in at certain times and want to have their say. They aren't bothered about how many times it has already been said.

Reactions: 6
I don't know. I think Cristo might be a bit of a witch himself when he wants to be. You heard the handovers between him and James Whale? Talk about awkward. James doesn't seem to like Cristo whatsoever. I wonder why that is.
He was probably a bit bitter that he slowly got demoted at lbc and was given progressively worse slots.

Did nick Ferrari and JOB do a handover in the past?

David L is always one step forward then two steps back for me. Unlistenable and could do with someone to balance him out and call him out on some of his BS.

I don't know. I think Cristo might be a bit of a witch himself when he wants to be. You heard the handovers between him and James Whale? Talk about awkward. James doesn't seem to like Cristo whatsoever. I wonder why that is.
Cristo is a little witch. Have you seen some of the Twitter spats he's got into in the past? He was really horrible to Matt Stadlen when he took over his slot on LBC. He seems to rub a lot of people up the wrong way. I followed him on Twitter for a while and he just came across as very bitter about everything. I always thought his spat with Steve Allen was probably down to Steve but I very much doubt it. Everyone who works with Steve loves him. Everyone who works with Cristo ends up disliking him.

Don't forget Cristo was the infamous producer of that Loose Women episode where Kim Woodburn was set up. Cristo immediately tweeted after that how brilliant it was. Talk about not reading the room.

I don't think he's a very nice man.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Doesn't Kay Burley like Christo? Says it all 😆

Her (short lived) biscuit handovers to Steve Allen were the best part of her lbc trial.

LBC is good for some presenters and shows, but not many. Nick Ferrari can be okay, but he annoys me with his muttering and interrupting. The 10am until 4pm slots are just a bit samey and boring. Sheila doesn't appeal to me whatsoever, regardless of how nice she seems. Eddie Mair is decent. Iain Dale can be decent too. The weekends on LBC are a bit rubbish really. None of their presenters on the weekend appeal to me. Even Nick Abbot is getting boring with his same old routine of government bashing and brexit. I much prefer to listen talkRadio, Times Radio and BBC five live these days, both in the week and on weekends. I do enjoy Howard Hughes on TalkRadio at the weekend over Nick Abbot if I'm honest. I would like Howard to get more air time. Weeknights Times Radio is more upbeat and easy listening. LBC is definitely growing very stale in my opinion.

Did nick Ferrari and JOB do a handover in the past?
The present format is that Nick will say "the next voice you will hear will be James O'Brien" . Then J O'B will acknowledge NF by thanking him, but they never chat.

"15% off your first order of RRrrrraging Bull Biltong"
Practically giving away that shoe leather now, that allegedly tastes like your Sunday roast silverside
:rolleyes:

• Haha

The problem for Brian is that he has spread himself so thin. Just this week he seems to have become a self-appointed expert on the Israel situation and the Prince Harry/Meghan issue. This adds to being an expert on Scotland after criticising others from giving opinions about Scotland from London!

The only way he can keep any real control over the conversation is the fader button. But before even that Ava only lets on the fanboys and girls as well as inarticulate opponents. That must be why there are times he takes so few calls.

Reactions: 8
The problem for Brian is that he has spread himself so thin. Just this week he seems to have become a self-appointed expert on the Israel situation and the Prince Harry/Meghan issue. This adds to being an expert on Scotland after criticising others from giving opinions about Scotland from London!

The only way he can keep any real control over the conversation is the fader button. But before even that Ava only lets on the fanboys and girls as well as inarticulate opponents. That must be why there are times he takes so few calls.

People will slag off the likes of Ian Payne and Andrew Castle for not being informed enough but I find it equally as annoying when the likes of O'Brien think they're an expert on everything. It's just tedious.

Almost time for a new thread.I've never worked out how the thread title thing works or how to vote so maybe we should stick to LBC Radio #2 :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 6
The present format is that Nick will say "the next voice you will hear will be James O'Brien" . Then J O'B will acknowledge NF by thanking him, but they never chat.
Occasionally Nick Ferrari will apologise if a call has taken him into the time allotted for James O'Brien's show. They may chat briefly then. But I would imagine that Nick wants to get on his way well before James starts his long-winded opening monologue.

Occasionally Nick Ferrari will apologise if a call has taken him into the time allotted for James O'Brien's show. They may chat briefly then. But I would imagine that Nick wants to get on his way well before James starts his long-winded opening monologue.
I did wonder if it's part of nicks contract to not do a handover or even a handshake 15 minutes before James starts - but less and less of them seem to do that on lbc thesedays.

Who refuses to go on nick Ferrari's show? There's Sadiq khan and Nicola sturgeon. There must be way more?

The opening monologue is another thing to add to the "why James O'Brien is insufferable" list.

Reactions: 8
Was Nick Abbot always so samey before brexit? I swear every show of his is the same old, whiney show. It really has grown tedious now. I used to like him, but it's been tough to enjoy his shows since lockdown.

Reactions: 3
Was Nick Abbot always so samey before brexit? I swear every show of his is the same old, whiney show. It really has grown tedious now. I used to like him, but it's been tough to enjoy his shows since lockdown.
Before Brexit and all that he actually seemed to do research and try to do a diverse show. Doesn't he still claim he comes into Leicester Square at 5pm? 😆 He can rock up at 9:58pm these days as no prep is needed to keep treading the same (very well worn) ground.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.