Krocks In The Kitchen

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This couple has some HORRIBLE luck.

I know it’s probably a coincidence and there’s probably not a scientific reason behind it, but Brian is the third person with a plant-based diet that I’ve seen get diagnosed with cancer this past week. My brother’s father-in-law has been a strict vegan for 20 years and he just got diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. He’s not that old either, he’s in his fifties. Then a coworker of mine also got a stage IV cancer diagnosis and she’s known as the office vegan.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
This couple has some HORRIBLE luck.

I know it’s probably a coincidence and there’s probably not a scientific reason behind it, but Brian is the third person with a plant-based diet that I’ve seen get diagnosed with cancer this past week. My brother’s father-in-law has been a strict vegan for 20 years and he just got diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. He’s not that old either, he’s in his fifties. Then a coworker of mine also got a stage IV cancer diagnosis and she’s known as the office vegan.
I don't know about causing cancer but being vegan obviously doesn't prevent it. I absolutely respect if people are vegan from a moral perspective but I'm not sure it's the healthy option? Humans are meant to be omnivores. We have the teeth and the digestive system for it and a lot of the nutrients we need can only come from meat. As other people have pointed out a lot of vegans just eat plant based junk food! IMHO.

Reactions: 6
I don't know about causing cancer but being vegan obviously doesn't prevent it. I absolutely respect if people are vegan from a moral perspective but I'm not sure it's the healthy option? Humans are meant to be omnivores. We have the teeth and the digestive system for it and a lot of the nutrients we need can only come from meat. As other people have pointed out a lot of vegans just eat plant based junk food! IMHO.
Interesting, although a little older take on vegans and cancer,

• Sad
New video interviewing Jessica's cousin, Tess' husband, Jeff, who was a kidney donor in 2018. What are the odds that both husbands will have a kidney removed? The biopsy is in a few days.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Watched this with interest. Brian seems very sure he has cancer and yet the biopsy has not been done. I guess he will know this week. I must say it takes a very special person willing to donate their kidney to a stranger because the process is not without risk.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The strongest scientifically supportable relationships between “food” and cancer are for processed meats and alcohol. The sugar thing is a common myth that arose out of the fact that faster growing cells, including cancer cells, absorb glucose faster. Do an internet search for “sugar cancer myth.”

My brother is on one of the GLP1 receptor agonists and has lost a lot of weight. I think he uses Ozempic. There are several of them now that have US FDA approval and I think one is available in pill form now (originally they all had to be injected.)

These meds work great but the process of your body adjusting to them is ROUGH. Brother had a bunch of bouts of violent vomiting at first. One of these drugs has recently been found to reduce sleep apnea. With the proven weight loss, improvement in Type 2 diabetes and the fact that they reduce risk of heart attacks, US medical insurance companies cannot get away with refusing to cover these new drugs.

My guess is that Brian Krock will either go on one of the GLP1 agonists or will get one of the surgeries like gastric sleeve. Even with the unpleasant side effects as the body gets used to them, I think the GLP1 agonists are probably less stressful for the body than the various gastric surgeries.

Reactions: 8
The strongest scientifically supportable relationships between “food” and cancer are for processed meats and alcohol. The sugar thing is a common myth that arose out of the fact that faster growing cells, including cancer cells, absorb glucose faster. Do an internet search for “sugar cancer myth.”

My brother is on one of the GLP1 receptor agonists and has lost a lot of weight. I think he uses Ozempic. There are several of them now that have US FDA approval and I think one is available in pill form now (originally they all had to be injected.)

These meds work great but the process of your body adjusting to them is ROUGH. Brother had a bunch of bouts of violent vomiting at first. One of these drugs has recently been found to reduce sleep apnea. With the proven weight loss, improvement in Type 2 diabetes and the fact that they reduce risk of heart attacks, US medical insurance companies cannot get away with refusing to cover these new drugs.

My guess is that Brian Krock will either go on one of the GLP1 agonists or will get one of the surgeries like gastric sleeve. Even with the unpleasant side effects as the body gets used to them, I think the GLP1 agonists are probably less stressful for the body than the various gastric surgeries.
agree Brian is going to need something more than diet as I think it is clear that has not worked.....I am waiting to see if this is really cancer or something else going on. If it is cancer not sure there will be much demand for the Krocks' food channel. With two people this young getting cancer ...well a really big coincidence.

I'm surprised the plan is to first obtain a biopsy. Almost all of the renal cancers patients I come across at work have gone straight to a nephrectomy or for a fewer number of patients, a partial nephrectomy. I wonder if Brian's tumor is too large for a partial nephrectomy.

Reactions: 8
Not sure why but so many on YT and social media that get cancer seem to have diets such as "plant based" etc. Does make one wonder. I think the key may be to make sure your diet has lots of plant type foods but maybe not to the exclusion of other food groups? Do people that eat this way maybe enjoy their sweets way more than the average? I mean the link with sugar and cancer is real...that is a fact.
And then there's Tiffany doesn't think diet and that adds a whole other level to the cancer and diet connection. Like you l have seen many of these "influencers" who are vegan (plant based) getting cancer, might just be a coincidence lve not looked at any official stats.

Reactions: 3
And then there's Tiffany doesn't think diet and that adds a whole other level to the cancer and diet connection. Like you l have seen many of these "influencers" who are vegan (plant based) getting cancer, might just be a coincidence lve not looked at any official stats.
Bec of Eamon and Bec. Stage 4 breast cancer, estrogen positive. Young (32), vegan (they do actually eat healthily), exercises, meditates and all that schtick. No known cancer gene or mutation. Family history with cancer not known.

I think anyone can get cancer. Some are more predisposed to it, some have a bad diet and lifestyle (smoking drinking and such) and some are just unlucky (some mutation). Some have all of this at the same time. Tiffany had an aunt who died young from cancer and Tiffany has had a bad diet. Maybe a mutation too.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm surprised the plan is to first obtain a biopsy. Almost all of the renal cancers patients I come across at work have gone straight to a nephrectomy or for a fewer number of patients, a partial nephrectomy. I wonder if Brian's tumor is too large for a partial nephrectomy.
I know nothing about this but assume a doctor would recommend the best option for him given his general health. I assume a partial might be better for someone with compromised health and wonder about his weight. He said something about assuring the docs he would lose the weight but doubt if that is good enough. Brian seems set on the whole kidney coming out for some reason.

Bec of Eamon and Bec. Stage 4 breast cancer, estrogen positive. Young (32), vegan (they do actually eat healthily), exercises, meditates and all that schtick. No known cancer gene or mutation. Family history with cancer not known.

I think anyone can get cancer. Some are more predisposed to it, some have a bad diet and lifestyle (smoking drinking and such) and some are just unlucky (some mutation). Some have all of this at the same time. Tiffany had an aunt who died young from cancer and Tiffany has had a bad diet. Maybe a mutation too.
Agree that anyone can get cancer. I do think the risk can be reduced by avoiding alcohol, processed meats, tobacco products. But there are news stories about people who live into their 90’s who do eat/use these things. So either random genetic mutations that can happen to anyone cause a lot of cancers or there are things causing cancer that we don’t yet know about.

Even if plant based diets reduce cancer, cancer isn’t the only important thing. I‘m seeing MD’s online recently discussing how many women have seriously low iron but haven’t been diagnosed. More than a third of women under 50 are iron deficient. We are only beginning to understand the health consequences of that. Women who don’t eat meat and don’t take iron supplements may have even worse iron deficiency. And there is a question now about whether low iron might be linked to higher risk of colon cancer.

Someone else on TattleLife had a good comment recently about how many vegans don’t do what is necessary to get enough protein in their diets. That concerns me for children. I wonder if Kyle Apple aka Kyle Appleford has enough knowledge of plant based proteins to make sure his kids get enough protein every day.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
@AlwaysScience I was recently reading medical papers about a study that's been done in China. The study is specific to RCC and Kidney cancer. Kidney cancer used to be considered an old mans disease because it was elderly males being diagnosed. However, they are now seeing a massive increase in younger patients being diagnosed.
I have an interest because obviously I lost my husband to RCC at a relatively young age, and his oncologists believe he probably had cancer for at least 10 years prior to being diagnosed. That being based on the growth rate of his tumours.
The study was very interesting, it looked at weight, tobacco & alcohol consumption, processed foods, dairy products and chemicals.
I believe that my husband developed cancer at a young age due to being exposed to occupational chemicals.

• Heart
  • Sad
@Saydee I didn’t realize it was RCC that your husband had. Thanks for the info from the China study. In 2018 I lost a friend to cancer caused by asbestos exposure. He was in his 60’s and about to retire when he was diagnosed. In the 1970’s he was in the US Navy and was involved in removing asbestos containing material from submarines, This was before it was known that you should wear a protective suit and a respirator when working with asbestos.

He died within 4 months of getting diagnosed. There is one thing that gives me some comfort: every year he took 2 weeks of vacation and flew to wherever his daughter was living at the time (she moved a lot due to her husband’s job) and did fun things with her like scuba diving and sky diving. If he had waited until retirement to take those trips they would never have had those wonderful times.

• Heart