Keto Diet

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone tried it? I’ve heard such fantastic things and seen amazing results. Would love to know your thoughts or experiences of it?

Reactions: 1
I'm an avid follower of the keto diet 🙋🏼‍♀️

To give a bit of history, started "dirty" keto back in 2016 after myself and my husband had aome health issues. Combined with regular exercise I lost 4 stone over 8 months. Maintained for a year and then in 2018 had a bit of a mh breakdown. Piled all the weight back on and struggled last year to control my eating. Decided 2020 wasn't gonna be another year just written off so started vegetarian clean keto yesterday.

I've read alot about it's benefits, pit falls and issues so feel free to ask. Also there are some helpful links I can post.

Reactions: 7
I'm an avid follower of the keto diet 🙋🏼‍♀️

To give a bit of history, started "dirty" keto back in 2016 after myself and my husband had aome health issues. Combined with regular exercise I lost 4 stone over 8 months. Maintained for a year and then in 2018 had a bit of a mh breakdown. Piled all the weight back on and struggled last year to control my eating. Decided 2020 wasn't gonna be another year just written off so started vegetarian clean keto yesterday.

I've read alot about it's benefits, pit falls and issues so feel free to ask. Also there are some helpful links I can post.
Thanks for your reply 😊
Can you tell me what dirty keto is?
I am just starting out, so your top tips would be great! Also any meal ideas... I’m not going veggie, I prefer to eat meat, but I don’t mind veggie meals here and there

Keto also can be known as Low Carb High Fat diet. Both dirty and clean keto are based on that.

Dirty keto is where you fill up mainly on meat, cheese and high fat options like butter, cream etc. Very similar to Atkins. Yes, you will lose weight but the nutrients you consume will not be as rounded as they could be.

Clean keto is the introduction of more of a paleo diet. So it's the inclusion of fats, but healthy fats. So more nuts, seeds, avocado's, oils etc....

With both you are encouraged to keep carb intake to 20-30g a day. However, how you choose to ingest those, from the approved list, determines the type of keto you follow.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
In November I started loosely following Keto and I lost 1 stone in just over 2 weeks and then fell off the wagon in December and have maintained since. I have PCOS so have always been advised to minimise carbs.

I don't stick to a strict keto diet as I really don't enjoy overloading on fatty meats, cheese and heavy dairy. I also find with strict keto your carb limit is so low which means you cant enjoy certain nutritious veg. I stick to 30 g carbs a day but when I really focus I find I don't ever really hit that level. Also with keto you have to be quite strict to get into ketosis and there are so many things that can take you out of it.

Its so hard to get your head around the fact that heavy cream, cheese, full fat, fatty meats etc are really good and low fat is a definite no go. I can still enjoy alcohol but mainly gin and slim, no beer, prosecco etc. I used an app called carb manager. I also upgraded to the paid version and found some really good recipes!!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Its so hard to get your head around the fact that heavy cream, cheese, full fat, fatty meats etc are really good and low fat is a definite no go. I can still enjoy alcohol but mainly gin and slim, no beer, prosecco etc. I used an app called carb manager. I also upgraded to the paid version and found some really good recipes!!
I use carb manager and it is a fantastic app!!
Lots of people think it's very unhealthy to eat in the keto way, however it is shown to reduce cholesterol, stabilise diabetes and is recommended to epilepsy patients. They can't all be wrong.

Has anyone tried it? I’ve heard such fantastic things and seen amazing results. Would love to know your thoughts or experiences of it?
I'd just say as long as you don't have a history of EDs go for it just be careful and maybe get your bloods done before and/or during and consultant your GP if any issues !

Reactions: 2
In November I started loosely following Keto and I lost 1 stone in just over 2 weeks and then fell off the wagon in December and have maintained since. I have PCOS so have always been advised to minimise carbs.

I don't stick to a strict keto diet as I really don't enjoy overloading on fatty meats, cheese and heavy dairy. I also find with strict keto your carb limit is so low which means you cant enjoy certain nutritious veg. I stick to 30 g carbs a day but when I really focus I find I don't ever really hit that level. Also with keto you have to be quite strict to get into ketosis and there are so many things that can take you out of it.

I have PCOS whicj I really need to get under control
Can either of you point me the direction of any decent reading material

I use carb manager and it is a fantastic app!!
Lots of people think it's very unhealthy to eat in the keto way, however it is shown to reduce cholesterol, stabilise diabetes and is recommended to epilepsy patients. They can't all be wrong.
Oh for sure, I’m not disputing it as I’ve read tonnes of advice - it’s just not my personal preference. I’ve always preferred more lean meats and just can’t overload on the dairy. It takes a lot to re programme yourself to recognise that low fat is so bad and full fat is good. It’s nice to be able to have real butter and cream, just a shame you can’t slather it on bread! I can’t even make alternatives out of almond flour as I have a severe tree nut allergy😔

I have PCOS whicj I really need to get under control
Can either of you point me the direction of any decent reading material
I haven’t really read anything that recommends keto for pcos but everything I have ever read about diets for pcos say that carbs should be limited. This is due to insulin resistance and how it’s stored. I was originally looking at low GI but it’s just too complicated and I can’t be bothered faffing around and working out how the content of a foods GI has changed when it’s cooked a certain way etc. Low carb definitely just fits into my lifestyle and is very easy to do when you put your mind to it. Only thing I would say is there is also a lot of stuff online saying that dairy is very bad for pcos. I am fine with it but I know others have benefitted from removing it which can be slightly tricky with keto / low carb as you become quite limited. I don’t drink milk anymore in coffee but I use a lot of cheese and cream in cooking!!

I’ve done this on and off for about 6 months now. I have PCOS and have read lots of things to say it helps with the insulin and regulates hormones etc. My mother in law did it for 6 weeks and lost 1.5 stone.
she gave me a book that had a few stories of a doctor who put patients onto this diet to help PCOS and help conceive and it worked within 6 months for 2 patients and 1 year for the other.
We have been trying to conceive for a year now so I am 💯 doing Keto!! It’s the only diet I have know to burn belly fat and make you lose weight super fast!!
good luck to all ❣

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Wow this thread is really interesting. These last few years I’m finding it super hard to shift excess pounds - like literally impossible, even with super low calories and increase in exercise. But I have a very sweet tooth - to the point I’d rather have a chocolate bar and vitamin tablet than a proper dinner - and have always suspected my heavy irregular periods, tummy fat, and inability to lose weight have been connected to eating too many refined carbs. I might give keto a go...

Wow this thread is really interesting. These last few years I’m finding it super hard to shift excess pounds - like literally impossible, even with super low calories and increase in exercise. But I have a very sweet tooth - to the point I’d rather have a chocolate bar and vitamin tablet than a proper dinner - and have always suspected my heavy irregular periods, tummy fat, and inability to lose weight have been connected to eating too many refined carbs. I might give keto a go...
Honestly it’s so good!! I have a really sweet tooth too but when I do Keto, it seems to disappear! Keto is really good for kicking bad habits.
Fasting aswell as Keto gives it an extra boost too. You don’t necessary need to exercise with it either but it’s obviously does help. Reasearch says that if you follow Keto and exercise before eating, this will boost fat burning too!
By fasting I mean don’t eat from 7pm then eat the next afternoon. Only have a 6-7 eating window per day.
I always feel more energetic, sleep better and less hungry doing the Keto!

Reactions: 4
Honestly it’s so good!! I have a really sweet tooth too but when I do Keto, it seems to disappear! Keto is really good for kicking bad habits.
Fasting aswell as Keto gives it an extra boost too. You don’t necessary need to exercise with it either but it’s obviously does help. Reasearch says that if you follow Keto and exercise before eating, this will boost fat burning too!
By fasting I mean don’t eat from 7pm then eat the next afternoon. Only have a 6-7 eating window per day.
I always feel more energetic, sleep better and less hungry doing the Keto!
thanks! I will definitely look into it!

thanks! I will definitely look into it!
I have also found a lot of recipes for cakes, cookies, fat bombs etc and they are all really good when you need that sweet fix!
Strawberries and cream is also a good sweet fix😛 and I never used to like cream!!

I have also found a lot of recipes for cakes, cookies, fat bombs etc and they are all really good when you need that sweet fix!
Strawberries and cream is also a good sweet fix😛 and I never used to like cream!!
What apps can you recommend?