Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sarivng2022

VIP Member
Funny enough I was going to put this on but you’ve explained it a lot more eloquently than I would. I didn’t know this until recently.
I think England only changed recently. Wales introduced the opt out scheme some time ago. I know someone who was campaigning for England to follow suit as she had benefited from a pancreas transplant and, at the time, was awaiting a kidney one. She got the kidney from a living donor in the end I think.

Reactions: 5
Some may find this useful.

In England you are now considered to have given consent as an organ donor unless you have opted out (or are in excluded categories). It changed a few years ago.
It's really easy to opt out, you can do it online.

I don't know if it's still applicable but there used to be encouragement to specifically add 'long bones', which were very useful for accident victims etc. It's worth looking in to if you're interested in donating as much of your body as possible.

There's also the option of leaving your body to medical science too, which is hugely important. That needs to be approved by the hospital usually in advance, and not all accept all offers. If interested, it's worth asking about asap.

You and family etc have zero say in where your organs go, of course you don't. Suggesting or wishing otherwise is deeply unpleasant.

I'll fek off again, (hurrah cry some) but donating is so very important I think it was worth clarifying.
Whilst there is now presumed consent for organ donation, no donation will actually take place if the family say no.
If for example someone died and the family told the hospital they refuse to even consider the option of organ donation there is absolutely nothing the hospital can do, even if the person explicitly stated they wanted to donate the family can still stop it.

Amy should not have been given a donated organ, she is too old

Reactions: 4