Jo Good #11 Wants out of BBC, craves luxe all the way, options are limited, at the Beeb she must stay

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A company I worked for a few jobs ago had 14 offices nationally, then some departments closed to be centralised, eventually whole offices were closed, with only 4 remaining. We all got wind of inevitable changes well before they happened so most had the good sense to plan their exit strategy, whether waiting for redundancy, negotiating relocation offers, or getting out in good time. As far as I know though, no one decided to keep hanging on while broadcasting constantly to colleagues and customers that they'd been treated unfairly, all the while punting their side-hustles to the company's clients.
I think she is more reliant of being seen as a BBC employee than she likes to let on. She has built up her “influencer” career very very slowly. Only now is she showing signs of progression - Sheerluxe and the better calibre of collabs (Farfetch etc). She needs at least another year I think before she can fully move to a full time influencer. But her trouble is her slapdashness. Her agent seems to be on board with her new change of direction, and she has some friends in that world (Baggott, that PR person), but even with those firm footings, her output is sporadic, lacklustre and poorly executed. Does she have a strategy? And if so, does she ignore it in favour of winging it?

She used to do Midweek Minx - what happened to that? Her content lately consists of a clickbait title which always fails to deliver, or the content is all over the place and disjointed. Her gig with Sheerluxe, cues in the title, then showing her slattern’s bedroom in the background of the very next vlog - more Sheermucks than Sheerluxe. She seems to blow things. That’ll do, says GOB. Then you have Ringlightgate. She porports to be a relatable mature woman, full of integrity, only pushing products she rates. And yet she lied about the light reflecting on her rather than it being the light reflective effects of the product she was pushing. It just shows a complete lack of integrity, you can’t trust her at all. You know she just wants money, she isn’t interested in putting out great content or being the lynchpin of a community of older supporters who see her as doing something wonderful in the world of influencing which tends to be younger women. She isn’t interested in them, she just wants to buy expensive clothes, pose in them, and then have people tell her she looks wonderful.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think she is more reliant of being seen as a BBC employee than she likes to let on. She has built up her “influencer” career very very slowly. Only now is she showing signs of progression - Sheerluxe and the better calibre of collabs (Farfetch etc). She needs at least another year I think before she can fully move to a full time influencer. But her trouble is her slapdashness. Her agent seems to be on board with her new change of direction, and she has some friends in that world (Baggott, that PR person), but even with those firm footings, her output is sporadic, lacklustre and poorly executed. Does she have a strategy? And if so, does she ignore it in favour of winging it?

She used to do Midweek Minx - what happened to that? Her content lately consists of a clickbait title which always fails to deliver, or the content is all over the place and disjointed. Her gig with Sheerluxe, cues in the title, then showing her slattern’s bedroom in the background of the very next vlog - more Sheermucks than Sheerluxe. She seems to blow things. That’ll do, says GOB. Then you have Ringlightgate. She porports to be a relatable mature woman, full of integrity, only pushing products she rates. And yet she lied about the light reflecting on her rather than it being the light reflective effects of the product she was pushing. It just shows a complete lack of integrity, you can’t trust her at all. You know she just wants money, she isn’t interested in putting out great content or being the lynchpin of a community of older supporters who see her as doing something wonderful in the world of influencing which tends to be younger women. She isn’t interested in them, she just wants to buy expensive clothes, pose in them, and then have people tell her she looks wonderful.
She most certainly wants and needs the affiliation with the BBC but would find it impossible to admit that. Say what you will about the corporation but it still has a certain cachet being such along standing internationally recognisable media instiution. Yet she seemingly resents it as much as she relishes it. I am certain most of her social media following has come as a result of her radio profile, with that taken away she'll be lost in the over-saturated world of influencers. I wonder if her SM content would improve if she was able to dedicate an extra 15 hours per weeks to it, if she was no longer at the BBC.

I'm listening back to yesterday's radio show. She had Kelly Rutherford on, talking about her dogs, and some other SM thing she is about to launch. Anna was not in the studio as she had flu-like symptoms, and did not join the chat with Kelly. Surprisingly GOB didn't namecheck Sheerluxe (or Sheermucks :LOL: thanks @House of Tea ), she said she met Kelly when she did a "TV show" :LOL: .

After the interview she had the nerve to say that she loves when someone, like Kelly, is a massive success on social media "without really trying", how rude and dismissive of Kelly's achievement of 1M followers! She compares that to herself who, presumably, she believes does really try.

ETA: I should've known GOB's discretion was too good to be true, a later radio show guest will be...wait for it....the editor of Sheermucks! So, they pay her a fee to do a hosting gig for them, and in turn GOB keeps them sweet by allowing them to promote themselves on the BBC! This is way too cosy and disgusting that it is allowed to go on - how can Tim Davie be unaware of this?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
She used to do Midweek Minx - what happened to that? Her content lately consists of a clickbait title which always fails to deliver, or the content is all over the place and disjointed.
I used to quite like the Midweek Minx vlogs - they didn't pretend to be anything they weren't, quite light and with Jo pottering about with make-up and things. There seemed to be a switch in direction which coincided with those ending, and there has been a more significant (much less fun) change of direction post-pandemic.

Reactions: 5
The BBC is now saying there will be one "all-England show" from 22:00 across the week. Given the direction of travel (literally) away from London for various media services, this could mean Jo's show going (or moving elsewhere in the schedule, although difficult to see where). Stations will keep their own content from 06:00-14:00.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
The BBC is now saying there will be one "all-England show" from 22:00 across the week. Given the direction of travel (literally) away from London for various media services, this could mean Jo's show going (or moving elsewhere in the schedule, although difficult to see where). Stations will keep their own content from 06:00-14:00.

There is no way they are moving Jo back to between 6 and 2 daytime is there? Unless they want her to do a couple of hours at 6am. Is that better for her? I think I would prefer that to her present hours.

Reactions: 3
There is no way they are moving Jo back to between 6 and 2 daytime is there? Unless they want her to do a couple of hours at 6am. Is that better for her? I think I would prefer that to her present hours.
If, after these changes, breakfast will still start from 7am she'd be more than happy to do the spare hour from 6am - early riser, leave Myrtle for a short time, back for a yoga class, all day free for other things, AND keep the BBC lanyard. But I imagine that breakfast will start from 6 am, two local shifts, 6 to 10 & 10 til 2.

And I wouldn’t imagine she is top of the list to save jobs. She isn’t that well thought of, she has been shunted to the wee small hours already as a precursor to being let go.

Opening last night's show she knew everyone would be tuning in to hear what she'll say about "the massive changes on local radio". Straight away it's all about her, she's been getting "non-stop texts and messages from my friends, from my family, and from you the listeners". She said her simple answer to all their questions is that she simply does not know what's happening, there will another meeting today, she doesn't know if she'll get more answers then. She calls the BBC "a racket". Said she's had a good innings and she hopes it will continue, and went on to wax lyrical about how much she loves her job, loves the show, blah blah blah...

I can't imagine how she can give such a speech and not, as the merest courtesy, give a brief acknowledgment that it will also affect her colleagues on the show, at the station, and the other stations around the country. If this was the first you'd heard of the story you'd think the changes were to apply only to her.

Reactions: 6
She is so selfish and self absorbed. I was never a fan but have gone right off her.

Her pathetic attempts at being an influencer and fashionista could be tolerated,(albeit mockingly) however it's the blatant lies and taking people for fools that really disgusts me.😒

Edit: Her treatment of that poor dog Myrtle is shameful too. Bought for click bait and not for genuine love imo

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Opening last night's show she knew everyone would be tuning in to hear what she'll say about "the massive changes on local radio". Straight away it's all about her, she's been getting "non-stop texts and messages from my friends, from my family, and from you the listeners". She said her simple answer to all their questions is that she simply does not know what's happening, there will another meeting today, she doesn't know if she'll get more answers then. She calls the BBC "a racket". Said she's had a good innings and she hopes it will continue, and went on to wax lyrical about how much she loves her job, loves the show, blah blah blah...

I can't imagine how she can give such a speech and not, as the merest courtesy, give a brief acknowledgment that it will also affect her colleagues on the show, at the station, and the other stations around the country. If this was the first you'd heard of the story you'd think the changes were to apply only to her.
But also she wasn’t showing her show the love over a number of years, not just recently. I stopped listening to her radio show well before she was shunted into the small hours. Back in the day she was on before Eddie Nestor and when they handed over, both of them used to be openly disparaging about the BBC, because they were long serving and thought they were going to be moved to antisocial hours. GOB used to throw in some Vanessa shade, I don’t think Eddie did. Somebody at the BBC must have heard, and the protracted handover conversations came to an abrupt halt - all she would say is coming up on Eddie’s show, rather than cutting to him to do it after they had their whinge. Eddie survived the clear out - never expected him to over Elms - and GOB relegated to the wee hours.

I can imagine working at the BBC in any capacity must get wearisome and demoralising as you get older. Don’t want to start a discussion on wokeism, but the BBC has been well and truly infiltrated and run by the woke. If you are of an older demographic you have people like Nestor, Elms and Jo (and there will be many others) who have been broadcasting for years but they have to button their lips about the rules and regulations they are subjected to. The three named were not to everyone’s tastes, but they have had long careers, which must count for something in the fickle line of work they are in. They now have 12 year old producers with pink hair who will be fully steeped in wokeism and telling them what they can and cannot broadcast, which must be galling. (Not picking on her latest producer but she sure fits the mould.) I am not talking about, you must not mention your social media, but every bit of content. The BBC is facing a talent exodus. I can’t say I blame them for leaving. The stranglehold on what is and isn’t permissible stymies creativity.

I have been listening to Kaye Adams podcast - how to be 60. I am not 60, but I like Kaye Adams, she is funny, self deprecating and intelligent. She does a morning radio show on BBC Scotland. Her sidekick on her podcast is one of her former producers who retired a few years ago. The sidekick is Karen Mackenzie, sister of Aggie Mackenzie who used to do that cleaning programme with that mad blonde Amazonian lady Kim). Kaye was asking Karen why she retired. Karen said she had enjoyed her long career, and working with Kaye, but the last 10 years of her career had not been enjoyable at all. There were other reasons she retired but you could get the subtext of what she was saying. I can imagine working in that role when you are older and your new colleagues are much younger and fully onboard the woke Express, it must get draining and disheartening.

Typical GOB thought to only see the major changes from her perspective and not the wider workforce.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
They have been losing people at a rate of knots and a lot of it is ageism, in my view.
For those older with options, like Graham Norton and Vanessa, they move on to bigger and better things - better salary, more say. Steve Wright, who I am not a fan of, has been spat out by the BBC but rumoured to have been picked up by Virgin Radio, so joining Graham Norton. So, he will have the last laugh there. I think the publication of the top earners salaries pissed off a lot of the BBC talent too. I think for older performer, having your own production company has to be the ultimate. Holly Willoughby is thinking of life beyond a daytime sofa, when her vanilla good looks have lost their currency with the sexist tv companies, and has started producing their own programmes. Easy if you have funds I guess.

• Heart
Watched the 'terrible lighting' vlog. Started with her taking 'Myrt' up to the rooftop - to PEE! Yeugh. How revolting....and I'm a dog lover. Has anyone ever seen GOB swilling down the rooftop with hot water and bleach/disinfectant? I certainly haven't. Also tells porkies again in the first few minutes "You know I never use lighting" Er, no actually GOB, we know you do ever since your indiscretion with the ring light in the bathroom 😠

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 7
I listened to bits of last night's show. She has been coughing, sipping, gulping, tsk-ing, and clearing her throat a lot lately and it's getting worse. Surely she must know constant annoying noises like that prompt many listeners to tune out.

Referring to the proposed BBC local radio changes she said she and Mel are intending to go on as normal. Well why wouldn't they, they have contracted duties to carry out until any changes are confirmed and rolled out. She suddenly has more enthusiasm for her job than previously. I do hope Mel is retained, maybe he will get the more sociable daytime hours which will be better for his dating life.

She keeps saying tender hooks 😬

She keeps raving about reality shows, she really wants to do one. We've discussed that here before, some Tattlers said they thought she'd never be asked but I believe otherwise. I wonder if her agent Nigel actually puts her forward. All those shows are getting increasingly desperate for "celebs" so they use lots of has-beens and industry minnows and they wouldn't care that 80% of their audience might not know who she was. She'd fill the oldie quota and she could be relied upon to be an attention seeker and controversial blurting out anything to be provocative. She's a Marmite character, her SM subs love her and a similar number of anti-fans read her Tattle threads.

Reactions: 2
I listened to bits of last night's show. She has been coughing, sipping, gulping, tsk-ing, and clearing her throat a lot lately and it's getting worse. Surely she must know constant annoying noises like that prompt many listeners to tune out.

Referring to the proposed BBC local radio changes she said she and Mel are intending to go on as normal. Well why wouldn't they, they have contracted duties to carry out until any changes are confirmed and rolled out. She suddenly has more enthusiasm for her job than previously. I do hope Mel is retained, maybe he will get the more sociable daytime hours which will be better for his dating life.

She keeps saying tender hooks 😬

She keeps raving about reality shows, she really wants to do one. We've discussed that here before, some Tattlers said they thought she'd never be asked but I believe otherwise. I wonder if her agent Nigel actually puts her forward. All those shows are getting increasingly desperate for "celebs" so they use lots of has-beens and industry minnows and they wouldn't care that 80% of their audience might not know who she was. She'd fill the oldie quota and she could be relied upon to be an attention seeker and controversial blurting out anything to be provocative. She's a Marmite character, her SM subs love her and a similar number of anti-fans read her Tattle threads.
Imagine GOB in the jungle 😂

• Haha
Imagine GOB in the jungle 😂
No she would get Celebrity Colonic Irrigation. The only unknowns that go on the bigger reality show like I am a Celeb or Strictly are younger vloggers/influencers with a lot of subs to bring with them for the viewing figures or are just young so that they fill the eye candy role. MAM isn’t a Lesley Joseph type who is known, nor does she have loads of subs to bring with her to boost viewers, and she is too old to be eye candy (that’s the sexist reality of it).

• Haha
Reactions: 1
No she would get Celebrity Colonic Irrigation. The only unknowns that go on the bigger reality show like I am a Celeb or Strictly are younger vloggers/influencers with a lot of subs to bring with them for the viewing figures or are just young so that they fill the eye candy role. MAM isn’t a Lesley Joseph type who is known, nor does she have loads of subs to bring with her to boost viewers, and she is too old to be eye candy (that’s the sexist reality of it).
I was thinking Coach Trip! Or Come Dine with Me where she could ham up her "I don't cook" shtick and have Sandra sneak something in.

• Heart
  • Haha
I was thinking Coach Trip! Or Come Dine with Me where she could ham up her "I don't cook" shtick and have Sandra sneak something in.
I think of pensioners when I think of coach trips, so that might be a good shout. Don’t they have a celebrity side kick, perhaps Julian Clary can be hers?

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.