Jill Dando Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven't seen the Jill Dando documentary yet but it's a well known case and I thought we could maybe have a discussion about it.

Do we think Barry George is her murderer? Or are you buying into the conspiracy theories etc.?

Reactions: 3
I've gone back and forth on this over the years. The other theories might be more 'exciting'(for want of a better word) to talk about but I do think it was most likely Barry.

Reactions: 5
I’m going to watch this and refresh my memory but I didn’t think it was George at the time

A bit like the Russell murders programme I watched where they pinned it on Stone as they had to get a result and find someone to stand trial

Sadly though I think it might remain unsolved forever

• Sad
Reactions: 15
Just finished watching found it really interesting, I had forgotten alot about the case so it was an eye opener after all this time
I have gone back and fourth on Barry George he was clearly disturbed and a fantasist who had committed some nasty crimes but was he intelligent enough to conduct a professionally carried out cold bloodied murder? I'm not so sure
The police had the merest scrap of evidence, and clearly wanted to charge someone to put the case to rest it didn't make them look good a year on from the murder and no murderer did they go with the easiest option to close the case
I'm not a conspiracist but I find the story about Jill supposedly about to expose a paedophile ring could be plausible especially after what we have seen come to light over the years since her death
Also the ex con at the end saying the criminal world has rumours who killed her and why, and you wouldn't expect who it was and it was a professional hit was very interesting
Let's just hope one day Jill gets the justice she deserves

Reactions: 29
^ How much intelligence does it really take to go up to someone and shoot them though?

Always thought this was quite a good summing up of everything, made me even more convinced it's Barry.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Random fact Jill Dando's fiance Alan Farthing delivered future king Prince George (as well as Catherine princess of Wales's other two babies) I don't know why but I always feel like if I were Kate I'd be thinking duck that is there not someone else I can have down there.

Reactions: 16
It gave me the creeps when he sat there and so blatantly lied about it being him in the photo, when it so obviously is him. You wonder what else he lied about….

Reactions: 18
It gave me the creeps when he sat there and so blatantly lied about it being him in the photo, when it so obviously is him. You wonder what else he lied about….
And also lied about not having a clue who Jill Dando was when there was magazines etc in his house with her on the front cover.
---
I don't think the ex criminal guy should have been given air time in all honestly. To sit there and say he knows who done it but can't say for his own safety. Surely that's perverting the course of justice? If he was that concerned for his safety he wouldn't agree to be interviewed or even comment he knows who it was in the first place. He just seems like a nobody with too much to say IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28
And also lied about not having a clue who Jill Dando was when there was magazines etc in his house with her on the front cover.
---
I don't think the ex criminal guy should have been given air time in all honestly. To sit there and say he knows who done it but can't say for his own safety. Surely that's perverting the course of justice? If he was that concerned for his safety he wouldn't agree to be interviewed or even comment he knows who it was in the first place. He just seems like a nobody with too much to say IMO.
Came straight over here because what he said right at the end has really messed with my head, it doesn’t even make sense!

Reactions: 7
Just finished this tonight and have some thoughts...

Firstly, her agent. Something about him just irked me. The comment about not killing her because she made him a lot of money. How utterly tasteless.

Secondly, the ex boyfriend / BBC guy. Again got creepy vibes from him and don't think he came across particularly well either.

That being said neither of them had anything to do with it and honestly I don't think BG did either. Yes he was weird, a loner, and had committed some other heinous crimes in his youth but full blown murder? I don't think he'd be capable of something like that. In a similar guise to Steven Avery and his nephew, I don't think any of them are innocent guys in the wider sense but I don't think any of them are capable of cold blooded murder and not admitting it to literally anyone for 20 odd years. I feel like it's the kind of thing they'd let slip at some point.

The policeman / detective doesn't seem so sure it was BG either... I'd be inclined to suggest he knows he messed up the investigation at the time and wants to pin it on BG to save his own reputation in some way.

I don't buy into any of the conspiracies either. They seem massively far fetched for me.

But who does that leave? Well if the random career criminal at the end is to be believed it's a professional hit ordered by someone... if you were that worried for your personal safety? Why appear on a show like this and say what you've said at all? It screams wanting a quick 15 minutes of fame and a throwaway comment that will get people talking and speculating. So I'd suggest he knows nothing. Because surely if you did you'd decline to appear and provide that information confidentially.

I hope this gets solved soon, and definitely within her brothers lifetime. Losing someone is hard enough as it is, but not having answers as to at the hands of who and for why must just be heartbreaking.

Reactions: 13
Am I missing something or did the doc say Jill's agent was the only person who definitely knew she'd be at the house at that time... and he wrote book about the death of a client... and we just moved on and didn't mention him again as a suspect? His demeanor in episode 1 is really strange. He has an air of duper's delight about him. He's straight up giddy talking about her murder. He says "well if I did do it I'd have to have hired someone". What a weird thing to say?

I still have two episodes to go so forgive me if I'm missing a part of the story.

Reactions: 18
Am I missing something or did the doc say Jill's agent was the only person who definitely knew she'd be at the house at that time... and he wrote book about the death of a client... and we just moved on and didn't mention him again as a suspect? His demeanor in episode 1 is really strange. He has an air of duper's delight about him. He's straight up giddy talking about her murder. He says "well if I did do it I'd have to have hired someone". What a weird thing to say?

I still have two episodes to go so forgive me if I'm missing a part of the story.
I completely agree. He was a weird fish in my opinion. Got really bad vibes from how he spoke about her and the situation.

Reactions: 16

He was a very odd man wasn’t he?

Reactions: 10
He also would have seen all the letters Jill received. He would have known if she had a stalker that would take the heat off him. I honestly have no idea what happened but the closer you are to the victim, in my opinion, and according to statistics, the more suspicious you are. Especially if you definitely knew she'd be at that location at that tìme, and especially when that location wasn't part of her regular routine.

Reactions: 4
Random fact Jill Dando's fiance Alan Farthing delivered future king Prince George (as well as Catherine princess of Wales's other two babies) I don't know why but I always feel like if I were Kate I'd be thinking duck that is there not someone else I can have down there.
I knew he delivered Kate’s babies and if I was her it wouldn’t have creeped me out 🤷‍♀️ I always felt sorry for the poor man losing his wife to be in such tragic circumstances. He’s always stayed out of the limelight but it was nice to hear he married a fellow Dr and they had a child.

Reactions: 7
^ How much intelligence does it really take to go up to someone and shoot them though?

Always thought this was quite a good summing up of everything, made me even more convinced it's Barry.

Maybe I worded it wrong of course anyone can shoot someone but to do it in a a professional mannor like you have done it many times before leaving almost zero evidence in the day time as well, it looked like a professional hit man leaving no trace im not sure Barry George could of pulled that off in his capacity

Reactions: 12

Completely agree he sent her there to get the fax from him so he knew and had arranged for her to be there whether that is just a coincidence or not. I am sure it would be great publicity for his book as well. There was something about him that was really off putting for me

Reactions: 8
Completely agree he sent her there to get the fax from him so he knew and had arranged for her to be there whether that is just a coincidence or not. I am sure it would be great publicity for his book as well. There was something about him that was really off putting for me
He was very unlikeable and dodgy, surprised Jill had him as her agent to be honest. The ex was creepy too - Jennie Bond wasn’t keen was she?!

Reactions: 11
Maybe I worded it wrong of course anyone can shoot someone but to do it in a a professional mannor like you have done it many times before leaving almost zero evidence in the day time as well, it looked like a professional hit man leaving no trace im not sure Barry George could of pulled that off in his capacity
There was zero evidence left at the scene, because paramedics tried to save Jill's life and destroyed any hint that was left. Same for Barry George's coat, the lack of traces is because they got ahold of the coat over a year later, during which time any traces disintegrate so to speak.
The particle in the coat's pocket is pretty damning evidence, but was at the retrial deemed inadmissible (due to a suggestion only!) and that's what led to the "not guilty" verdict, which isn't an "innocent" verdict at all. Just means that the presented evidence and narrative aren't conclusive for a "guilty" verdict at the time. Juries can also be fickle.

They had the right guy, the crime and criminal's profile fit the crime to a T (loner, misogynist, sexually violent towards women, stalker, focussed on female celebrities; broke into KP grounds apparently trying to abduct/rape Diana) and he was let go.

Nick Ross's article is a fantastic read and it doesn't need to be read in its entirety to understand why and how it was BG. No one can say it aloud though, as it's against the law and BG has sued left, right and centre. Was him though, no doubt about it.

Criminologists have from the start made clear it was a "loner stalker type", from day one, Nick Ross made it from day one clear as well (at the time he did 15 years of Crimewatch and has a psych degree). The "criminal underground" "connections" were all followed and all lead to nothing, as there was nothing to be found.

At the end the criminal is exactly who it so often is for women: Women are usually killed by men, who have known them, "crimes of passion" as they are called at times. BG was also around Jill's house earlier that day, suggesting he was regularly walking by/ stalking the house. It didn't need info from outside that Jill would be there, when BG lived up the street and spent his days stalking women and walking aimlessly around. In the first month about four calls came in pointing towards BG. But because he used a number of aliases it wasn't instantly clear that the same man was meant. His ex-wife said he is capable of murder, she fled back home to Japan after a year of marriage. BG assaulted and stalked women and was convicted and known to police.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can doubt it was anyone but BG, esp after the linked article above.

Netflix didn't do a good docu, they didn't ask a number of relevant questions and as one review put it very well: they basically do a wiki page in video; no conclusion, no questions, nothing. Not entirely pointless, but not that well done, either.

Mansfield will rot in hell though, can't believe that someone can defend a criminal with such a straight face and point towards "evidence" that simply doesn't make sense and has quickly been checked and dismissed.

• Angry
Reactions: 13