Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

lilyannrose

VIP Member
I've loathed him for years, ever since he was going around saying things like "strikers should be shot in front of their families" and spouting off ignorant crap about suicide.

That he even still has a career after he punched someone at work because his din dins was cold is staggering! What has happened to basic morality?

I don't care if it's all a "joke" or a "persona", I think he is an absolutely awful person and it disgusted me to see ITV giving him their full backing today.

I avoid him like the plague but his recent comments about Meghan made me feel literally sick. How is this excused by those with power to do something about it?

Reactions: 28

Peachsquish

VIP Member
Not impressed by The Sun apologising so fast particularly after how many years it took them to apologise for the lies they printed over Hillsborough.
Neither was I impressed by Netflix using Hillsborough news stories for pretend headlines about Harry and Meghan

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 23

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
Is megan merkle a protected species that no one can insult? I'm shocked that It was such a big deal. Satire is allowed, where religious icons are mocked. Megan is a z lister from the sleezy hollywood cesspit 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Peachsquish

VIP Member
Give it a week or so, I'm sure you'll be praising the Sun's apology for the same political reasons you condemn Netflix.... but oddly not H&M (not the clothes shop)
Unless H and M personally selected the headline then that rests on Netflix's shoulders, to use a headline commemorating the inquest results and pretend it was about abuse of Harry and Meghan was vile.

And I can assure you that I won't be happy with The Sun's apology in a week, they apologised after a week for an ill judged slightly over top rant (which included a description from a pretty mainstream TV show) and took years to apologise for lies about people dying.
And finally I'm not a Labour voter, I'm not from Liverpool and I don't need either to be a Labour voter or from Liverpool to have a moral compass and find what The Sun did to the people of Liverpool abhorrent.
Screenshot_20221224-080929_Chrome.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 16

plinky2

VIP Member
It’s not really up to white people to decide what is or isn’t racism and I shall leave that there

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 16

HairyWeeTerrier

VIP Member
I dislike Nicola Sturgeon, and Rose West, and Meghan Markle. But if I say I dislike Meghan Markle more, that does not mean she is worse that the other two. I just don’t vote for Sturgeon, hope she doesn’t ever win . She is not my sort of person. Rose West is an abomination, she should rot in hell. But those two are not in my face constantly, and bloody Markle is everywhere, I really want her to go away and leave the world in peace. She is one of the reasons that two words have become prevalent in our vocabulary, not the only one. Those words are Race and Misogyny. If anything is said about her we are bombarded by those words, but that is fashionable at the moment. Those words cut off discussion, they are impossible to deny. We are not allowed to say we dislike Markle because we find her a conceited, self promoting, preaching nobody with a huge chip on her shoulder because she does not have the whole world fawning at her feet. She is divisive and manipulative. To say she is disliked because she is black and a woman is just plain silly. I saw nothing to indicate misogyny in what Clarkson said. But then, my antennae are never looking for that, I consider myself more than equal to any man. I would rather spend time with him than some virtue signalling mealy mouthed sycophantic moron who sticks up for the Montecito duo , who believes they are making the world a better place. At least Clarkson is educated and is not afraid to voice his opinions. And I bet he is entertaining and could enjoy a good laugh. More than could be said for Harry and Meghan. Are there really people out there who like to spend time with individuals who can only talk about themselves ? I have not seen at first hand many examples of racism. but some years ago, a group of acquaintances took a trip to London. We went to a restaurant where the waiters were mostly black. One of our group would not eat her meal because the waiter’s fingers had touched her plate. That is racism. Finding Markle abhorrent is not.

• Wow
Reactions: 15

plinky2

VIP Member
The world isn’t black and white: you can oppose 2 or more things at the same time. You can dislike H&M, JC and The Sun all for different reasons.

I absolutely see that the media plays a huge role in public opinion and has a reach across the whole of our country. The media has been telling ME how to feel about and view the H&M’s documentary, as it’s more an attack on the media than it is the RF, and the media see themselves as almost as important as to whether they can make you or break you. I was at work yesterday and everyone was talking about it but I was the only person who had actually watched it, they had an opinion of it through the lense of the tabloids.

I feel like I am living in a strange society where people can’t seem to see how gaslit they are by MSM anymore, society is feeding off it and thriving in anger and rage of other peoples opinions. I’m aware of it so I try to look for facts or compare 2 sides of a story.

How can you say you don’t have to read the sun, no you don’t it was absolutely everywhere, it was viral. You didn’t need to read the sun to know about JC’s column

• Heart
Reactions: 15

emerald

VIP Member
I hated what he wrote about MM. Whilst it was clearly a riff on the Game of Thrones scene, I still think that's a fucking weird and clearly misogynistic and sexually intimidating way for a man to write about a woman. It was unacceptable.

Reactions: 13

plinky2

VIP Member
Who is it up to ? and you are making rather a large assumption there?
I think it’s up to minority groups to decide what they find to be racist or derogatory. Not for people saying ‘well I don’t see racism’ well of course you don’t, because you are not in a group of people who do experience it. White people have a privilege that minority or oppressed groups do not, this is well documented throughout history through the ages across all continents and in modern day times.

In lay terms as an example If you are female you will have experiences a male will likely not have too, such as sexual harassment. If you are Jewish you will experience racial antisemitism, if you aren’t Jewish you won’t.

My partner is from an ethnic minority group in the U.K. and even I wasn’t aware of the every day low level of racism that is his every day normal until I met him. He has also experienced some more serious racism in his life that I have never experienced. Racism is also about stereotyping, assumptions and telling people they are imagining it or playing a ‘card’ is just continuing to oppress people. It’s a delusion of denial people tell themselves to scoff it back because it’s unpalatable. It’s just as gaslighting and unpleasant to try to defend it by using strange examples from your own white perspective. The U.K. is racist, we literally had an entire media and political campaign of ‘send everyone back home/don’t let ‘them’ in’ doing the rounds not 5 years ago. We have entire museums dedicated to all the valuable, indigenous items we travelled round the world and stole from different countries. At football matches, racial insults are still shouted at players. It was less than 100 years ago we were still shipping in very low paid manual labour workers from other countries such as India. Just because we don’t make people sit in a different section anymore doesn’t mean all racism has gone away. We all still have work to do, on ourselves and as a society. On one thread I won’t reference someone recently posted ‘X doesn’t even look black’ about someone who has clear and well documented mixed ethnicity background. Ask anyone who isn’t entirely white looking you know, they will have been asked ‘where are you really from?’ many times in their life. This has happened to me, from a young age as I have distant genes from native America and I am very dark haired, had hairy legs and I have almond eyes. I got teased every day for it and started shaving them from age 9. I got called all kinds of racist slurs, asked where I am ‘really from’ and the same thing happened to my daughter all through secondary school to the point where she would cry about it because even if we were ‘really from’ somewhere else, so what? Both born in the U.K., have dark features.

The U.K. was found to be racist back in 2016 in this report

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha

plinky2

VIP Member
I didn’t like the GOT scene and I also hated what JC wrote. I haven’t watched it but I have read all the books.

GOT was fictional in the sense that it may have been depicting in a sensationalist, disconcerting way how women were treated in times of old (although GOT isn’t really dated, it’s clearly medieval style). in my mind, many women across the centuries did experience all kinds of horrors just for being a woman and we have moved on as society from that being acceptable. The character was written to be very horrible and a lot of her anger and vitriol was because she was female in a man’s world. What I do not like about it is that her punishment was nudity shame and humiliation and that it was her ‘comeuppance’ when a man would have just had his hand chopped off.

MM is a real person with feelings and not a character and we aren’t living in medieval times anymore. Regardless of anything MM has done, she doesn’t deserve to have those kinds of things written about her by JC or anyone else. It should be a crime to be promoting violent acts against women in the media, twitter or anywhere else. The kind of men who love JC and read the Sun are highly likely to already dislike women so having men in positions of power writing nasty, violent fantasies about them is dangerous

• Heart

wibble

VIP Member
Unless H and M personally selected the headline then that rests on Netflix's shoulders, to use a headline commemorating the inquest results and pretend it was about abuse of Harry and Meghan was vile.

And I can assure you that I won't be happy with The Sun's apology in a week, they apologised after a week for an ill judged slightly over top rant (which included a description from a pretty mainstream TV show) and took years to apologise for lies about people dying.
And finally I'm not a Labour voter, I'm not from Liverpool and I don't need either to be a Labour voter or from Liverpool to have a moral compass and find what The Sun did to the people of Liverpool abhorrent.
View attachment 1828777
The Sun shouldn't have apologised, nor should they have retracted the article...

All that does is to encourage those who didn't read it to project upon it things which were never said....
As opposed to - "what the fuck are feminists outraged about today?" and "yeah Harry couldn't fly an Apache" and "yes I hate Meghan more than Nicola Sturgeon and Rose West"...

And in doing so, the Sun has allowed the self-righteous - like yourself - to be self righteous in attacking an allowable hate figure, Jeremy Clarkson (who you are not forced to watch or read his opinion), and to decry a newspaper, which apparently, you do not read: and actively hate those who do.
(Oh save your fingers... you don't hate anyone... you are a virtuous person.. who has all the right opinions)

You are the worst kind of coward.

Willing to sacrifice nothing, in order to gain nothing, in the hope that others don't attack you for being nothing.

And in the process you drag in 96 ghosts to validate your utter moral vacuousness.
96 people who were never mentioned in the Clarkson article.

But in your cowardice, and craving for validation, you haul them in because ... reasons.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

lilyannrose

VIP Member
I, too, had no idea "far east" is supposedly an offensive term. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone claim it is.

As much as I dislike Clarkson and his ilk, I am sometimes just as uncomfortable with the constant and extreme language policing. From what I see it often just causes further division rather than heal any rifts but, more importantly, doesn't ever genuinely seem to be about sensitivity but a tactic used to close down discussion people don't like.

Reactions: 12

lilyannrose

VIP Member
I dont know if I'm just numb to this kind of shit, but I do find performative outrage at Jeremy Clarkson irritating. Just like I find Jeremy Clarkson doing performative outrage at Meghan Markle irritating too.
It's not perfomative at all on my part, and just because there's other people who are worse (are there? I can think of Richard Littlejohn but not many more) it doesn't mean Clarkson's rantings shouldn't cause concern.

When I first disliked Clarkson it was very unfashionable to do so. The tide turning can't come soon enough.

Reactions: 11

lilyannrose

VIP Member
I can't stand him,I can't believe how he got rewarded with a new show after he got sacked from top gear because of his bad behaviour, also how them two cowards followed him because they are probably scared of him.
Scared of being losing out on the money is more likely.

Sancrow

I can't stand him,I can't believe how he got rewarded with a new show after he got sacked from top gear because of his bad behaviour, also how them two cowards followed him because they are probably scared of him.

Millennial Pink

VIP Member
I was listening to a podcast with James May promoting something food related a while ago and he said something like 'Jeremy actually is a gentle soul' or some such tripe and Jay Rayner immediately challenged it. I think Hammond and May genuinely get along (and their partners are friends) but Clarkson seems to keep a distance nowadays, or is kept at a distance. I think Hammond and May are purely there for the cash. Whenever I've been forced to sit through one of the Grand Tour specials May never particularly looks like he wants to be there. I'm starting to dislike May more than Clarkson due to this sort of thing, and he doesn't come across that well in other content he's been making IMO.

I don't think Clarkson can be easily gotten rid of. Most people who don't like him just don't watch his stuff or engage with his content. His fans, and there are plenty of them, are the type that wouldn't care about him saying whatever bigoted claptrap he thinks will get clicks, and a number will actively egg him on. If the assault didn't finish off his career, a column about an already unpopular woman certainly won't.

Reactions: 10

181paul

UK population = 68-69 million.
Around 25000 complaints.
That leaves a hell of a lot of people that aren't bothered either way.
I hope the offended feel better soon.

• Haha
  • Heart

HairyWeeTerrier

VIP Member
If you are not BAME, you can’t know how a BAME person feels or tells them how to feel about racism directed at them.

If you are white and someone is racist against you for being white, that is racism against you for your skin colour and you will be in a place to decide how it makes you feel and your own experience. If you lived your entire life as a white person being discriminated against, held back, judged and scared for your future and kids future, simply for the main reason for being white, then this is obviously terrible. Is this happening to you?

This was about racism against a black woman, and I have seen this argument before and it is absolutely bizarre that anyone could even try to counter it, seen as white people are very rarely discriminated against in health care (with poor outcomes), education, the workplace etc in the same way that BAME people are.

I don’t think any normal intelligent person would think ‘hypothetically I could also experience racism one day too, even though I am not a minority group. therefore I know how it feels (in my imagination), and can tell BAME people what is or isn’t racist. It doesn’t matter how they feel about it, I’ve decided because it could happen to me I’m allowed to have an opinion on it, especially based on me not really liking that person very much’.

Just because someone might be a twat and you don’t like them doesn’t mean racism doesn’t exist or they don’t experience it. Jussie Smollet did something really terrible by creating a hate crime hoax but that is really extremely rare and he was found guilty in a court. Everyone has seen MM be subjected to racism and sexism, she isn’t on trial for this either, but those who don’t like her think she deserves it or pretend it didn’t happen.

I’m very glad JC is being held accountable. He is an intelligent, rich, educated well connected man. He knows better, he made an active choice to say what he said for clickbait/attention. He has played with fire and ruined his career opportunities all by himself.

JC and his ilk are becoming less and less acceptable and popular. I understand he has an appeal with a demographic of people who have fond memories of Top Gear and enjoy watching a grumpy old man complaining about everything and making jibes for entertainment but that kind of things is just not as relevant nowadays.

He’s cashed in, he’s loaded he will be fine in life even if he’s been ‘cancelled’
Can you tell me please , who is the Black woman who suffered racism? I am presuming we are not still talking about Meghan Markle who described herself as Caucasian ?

Seriously, there is a big difference between a joke between friends and discrimination. Unless you have experienced it you havny a clue.
I am a woman who works in engineering and almost exclusively with men. I weekly face sexism. I found out in my last role that I was on less money than men who had less experience and knowledge than me and were coming asking me for help. I regularly get passed over for promotion. I was subject to perverted comments by a cleaner at work, and instead of being disgusted by them, my male colleagues thought it was hilarious, hence basically validating the harassment, and making me out to be a troublemaker for not laughing. The list goes on, but sure its 9nly a bit of craic.
This thread is not about discrimination though, it is about Jeremy Clarkson . If you are suffering discrimination because you are a woman, that is totally wrong. I too worked with men, but had no such experience. Though it was not in engineering. Clarkson did not make his remark because MM is a woman, or black, he made it because he does not like her as a person. We are allowed to dislike female black women just as we can dislike anyone else. Why can that not just be accepted without all the accusations ?

Last edited:

StatusWoe

VIP Member
The Sun shouldn't have apologised, nor should they have retracted the article...

All that does is to encourage those who didn't read it to project upon it things which were never said....
As opposed to - "what the fuck are feminists outraged about today?" and "yeah Harry couldn't fly an Apache" and "yes I hate Meghan more than Nicola Sturgeon and Rose West"...

And in doing so, the Sun has allowed the self-righteous - like yourself - to be self righteous in attacking an allowable hate figure, Jeremy Clarkson (who you are not forced to watch or read his opinion), and to decry a newspaper, which apparently, you do not read: and actively hate those who do.
(Oh save your fingers... you don't hate anyone... you are a virtuous person.. who has all the right opinions)

You are the worst kind of coward.

Willing to sacrifice nothing, in order to gain nothing, in the hope that others don't attack you for being nothing.

And in the process you drag in 96 ghosts to validate your utter moral vacuousness.
96 people who were never mentioned in the Clarkson article.

But in your cowardice, and craving for validation, you haul them in because ... reasons.
You're coming across as extremely unpleasant in your posts. Just saying.

ETA:
1671882258070.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 9

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
He writes this crap all the time but the main issue is how The Sun let it through. They are responsible for what they print. Shows how poor press regulation is in this country that they clearly wave through whatever he writes without a second thought. As long as its not libel, then they can do what they like and they know it.

Reactions: 9