Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Griftymcgriftface

VIP Member
Just thought I would post a thread to post all positive Jamie Oliver recipes and fun.

I know he can sometimes be a divisive figure but I own several of his books and find his recipes to be fantastic.

His new One Pan Meals show starts on Monday so feel free to post here your thoughts!

• Heart
Reactions: 24

Griftymcgriftface

VIP Member
Oh and not from the book but from his FREE internet I use his roast cooking times, gravy and also roast potatoes.

We watch the tv shows and decide on basis of faffiness - whether we want to try making them ourselves. Was fun the latest ones seeing inside the big house, although I think he was at one point cooking in the butlers pantry to make it look smaller and less mansion.

One thing that irritates Mr V is how messy he is, always spilling things, or scattering stuff from a great height and getting it everywhere. I suppose it’s dynamic but we consider the state of the hob.
At least he washes his fucking hands!

• Haha
Reactions: 12

Griftymcgriftface

VIP Member
Wasn’t really sure whether to post this on the Jack or Jamie thread but on his new tuna pasta recipe someone has commented:
1661116221468.png

And I just don’t understand this. Someone who knows how to make pasta needs to ask can they put it in a pasta dish. Maybe people just ask questions to contribute and belong but sometimes I despair.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Do you eat chicken? You could do a chicken skewer kebab. There's a bbc good food recipe that would work.

Here you go. You can carve it the same way he did the lamb.

Definitely with chicken (would also be cheaper) - and I've got a couple of cleaner ways to do it. (Vegans look away now)

Use a pair of kitchen scissors or a big knife to cut along one side of the spine. Open up the chicken and then give it a bloody good thump on the breastbone (in restaurant parlance, this is called spatchcocking, I believe).

Cut slashes across the breast, thighs, legs and sides and rub in things like Ras el Hanout, Dukkah, Cumin, Coriander, Cinnamon (always include some lemon peel for Cinnamon), garlic, thyme, sesame seeds, sea salt, pepper, chilli and olive oil into all the slashes and inside what used to be the cavity.

Then either put a roasting rack over the aubergines in a baking tin (IKEA do a tin-rack combo really cheap) or in a wok with a lid; buying the smaller aubergines you get in a Turkish shop would both be cheaper and fit into a wok more easily - and you can add peppers, courgette and tomatoes, chunks of red onion, capers and/or olives too, if you like them - and it'll be done in around 35 minutes.

The same principle would also work with a Patak's spice paste or spices and tomato puree.

Reactions: 10

NellieBoo

VIP Member
It’s a different league isn’t it.
It is. And, I know he's had his fair share of the shite ripped out of him over the years about his presenting style, amongst other things, but he's never really changed his enthusiastic style. Honed and improved, yes, but kept true to his TV personality. I like that about him.

I know someone will come along and say he's an awful twat to work with but I don't care, he produces good, watchable tv content.

Reactions: 9

Terrible

VIP Member
I made the frying pan bread dough toastie thingy today, and it was LOVELY! I used flour out of one of those complete bread mix packets, plus the baking powder, and it was really fluffy. Brie, spring onion, pepper, tomato. 10/10 would make again (every day).

• Heart

uokhun92

Chatty Member
I'm not usually a Jamie Oliver fan (look at my year of birth, he completely fucked us over half way through secondary school getting rid of pizza, chips and burgers at dinner time and I will never forgive him for that 😂) however I've been watching his new show and I agree with the above post saying a lot of thought has gone into making it accessible and for once I've not found myself sarcastically commenting whilst watching 'oh I'll just nip down to Londis and get some *insert obscure ingredient*' like I have done with his previous 'simplified' recipe shows. Actually really looking forward to trying some of the recipes! You can get them all on a free PDF from his website.

klarakluckbag

VIP Member
We did the fish pie yesterday, it was really tasty. We used bog-standard supermarket tomatoes, which were fine, and I personally wouldn't use so much dill next time as I found it slightly overpowering, but it's a lovely dish and we will definitely cook it again.
It would be fine in any metal dish, but be careful of the "cooking it over a high heat until it sizzles" instruction online, ours burned at the bottom of the pan quite quickly! If you've used filo before, you'll know how quickly you need to work with it before it dries up completely. Get everything ready before you even think about getting the pastry out of the packet. And yes, the couscous was a genius idea, will definitely use that in other recipes!

Reactions: 8

Vanelope

VIP Member
Books with recipes I use regularly

Jamie’s Italy
30 minute meals
7 ways
Comfort food (sticky toffee pudding every Xmas)
Veg
Everyday super food

I have some of the older ones but I don’t use those - and I always found the 15 minute meal ones a bit unrealistic time wise.

i will probably get the one pot one and ask for the together one for Christmas

his recipes work - the many testers and home economics people do their jobs.

Reactions: 8
I’ve just watched the first two episodes of the one pan series the food looks amazing but you definitely need the right pan to recreate them eg very expensive pans. Would like more veggie recipes we’re not vegetarian but our back at home son is, I really struggle with inspiration tbf our son does cook too. My observation is, it all looks like Jamie has concocted these recipes himself but can almost 100% guarantee he’s just presenting them. I don’t like how he keeps going on about how creative he is. What about giving the creators the credit 🤷🏻‍♀️

If I can come up with a way to make yoghurt banana scones, I reckon that a trained professional chef is more than capable of writing a few recipes himself.

Reactions: 7

Nottonightbabe

VIP Member
The sticky toffee pudding recipe was amazing.

My faves are the curry paste recipes I think from ministry of food as they were so easy to make and when the book came out I had just left uni and started working and I didn’t know how to make anything other than Chinese style curry so they were a great starting point. I have moved on to following actual Indian chefs in more recent years but at that time it was really simple to follow.

I loved his Christmas book/show. The chicken wing stock worked really well for me, I’ve read a few people say they didn’t like it but mine was great and much needed for the gallons of gravy my family go through at Christmas
I make a big batch of the chicken wing gravy each year, and adapt it depending on what meat we are having. I have around 20 of his books and they're used more than any of my others. The ones I don't have are the ones that are more back to basics, that would be a bit too simplistic for what I need. I have the new one on order, so looking forward to seeing what's in that.

Terrible

VIP Member
I love Jamie’s recipes - I do his filo feta spinach spanakopita one quite often, which is the same method as the fish pie, and it’s fine in a small roasting tin, or even a cake tin. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t crisp the bottom up first.

I don’t even eat meat and the lamb looked amazing. I bet you could rub all kinds in and it’d work (curry paste? a minty pestoey paste? Horse spunk?).

• Haha

NellieBoo

VIP Member
That was good. Would definitely eat the pasta and the fish pie. I don't like lamb but wonder if the feta sauce and aubergine would work with roast chicken or something (not to be all fussy squig complaining about the main ingredient!)
Do you eat chicken? You could do a chicken skewer kebab. There's a bbc good food recipe that would work.

Here you go. You can carve it the same way he did the lamb.

• Heart

Vanelope

VIP Member
Oh and not from the book but from his FREE internet I use his roast cooking times, gravy and also roast potatoes.

We watch the tv shows and decide on basis of faffiness - whether we want to try making them ourselves. Was fun the latest ones seeing inside the big house, although I think he was at one point cooking in the butlers pantry to make it look smaller and less mansion.

One thing that irritates Mr V is how messy he is, always spilling things, or scattering stuff from a great height and getting it everywhere. I suppose it’s dynamic but we consider the state of the hob.