Jacqueline Wilson

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t imagine Ellie being an empowered single mum :( she either will have fallen hard for the guy or have been used and cast aside, she was always so sensitive. And she was so scarred by her own family not being nuclear.
I’m aware she’s not real 😹

It’s interesting as the teen world that existed in those books is no longer- too many devices about. More acceptance of those who are different though!
---
Are j’s books still in print even? I can imagine them being very dated for today’s kids

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
I can’t imagine Ellie being an empowered single mum :( she either will have fallen hard for the guy or have been used and cast aside, she was always so sensitive. And she was so scarred by her own family not being nuclear.

It’s interesting as the teen world that existed in those books is no longer- too many devices about. More acceptance of those who are different though!
---
Are j’s books still in print even? I can imagine them being very dated for today’s kids
All the most popular ones are still in print. Girls aren't but they're going to be reprinted because of the release of this book. She published two books about Tracy Beaker's daughter, and a Sleepovers sequel with more up to date attitudes towards disability

Reactions: 3
She wrote several adult novels back in the day with plenty of swearing so I'm sure it will be fine lol. I wonder if anyone else here read any of her adult novels? I can remember two, but not the titles:
  • A married woman, iirc named Claire, begins an affair with ... some guy. A plot point was someone getting killed in a hit and run but I don't remember who
  • A police detective (warning; plot involves CSA/sexual assault) goes on a date with a girl who he thinks is at least 18, but is actually only 15. So he leaves and immediately afterwards, she gets sexually assaulted walking home and assumes it was him and he gets arrested. He has to find the real culprit, who is also attacking other women

According to the description, Ellie is a single mum, so it will be one of the other two. None of them ever had a "good" relationship even in the original. Ellie had Dan (loser) and Russell (pretentious jerk who treated her badly but she believed he was her true love because they were both into art.) Magda and Nadine wanted an adult boyfriend and looked down on "schoolboys", so they drew the kind of predatory man who'd be attracted to a 14-year-old girl. I wonder if it wouldn't be Magda who has a seemingly nice/perfect life but abusive or manipulative husband? As is common with a lot of JW's novels for children

Also predict one of the girls being gay/bisexual, maybe Ellie (the promo talks about her encountering many surprises in life)
I didn’t read any of her adult novels (might check them out) but I read several of her pre-Tracy Beaker teen novels as discussed somewhere in this thread that I really liked that were much more gritty and realistic than her popular titles
---
I'm really interested to see what she does with it, a lot of her newer children's fiction hasn't been that great imo.
It might have been on this thread but I read somewhere because she’s older now (78) she felt like she wasn’t so in touch with modern life with the young group she writes about and for and so went into the trend of writing children’s books based on classic/older novels
---
Did anyone ever read a story (not JW, another female author) I think was written in the 80s/90s and called something like “letters from the lovestruck teenager” and the protagonist used to write to Mizz magazine bitching about her sister and family and life. I loved that book, and thought it was much more realistic

Last edited:
I didn’t read any of her adult novels (might check them out) but I read several of her pre-Tracy Beaker teen novels as discussed somewhere in this thread that I really liked that were much more gritty and realistic than her popular titles
---

It might have been on this thread but I read somewhere because she’s older now (78) she felt like she wasn’t so in touch with modern life with the young group she writes about and for and so went into the trend of writing children’s books based on classic/older novels
---
Yeah I read this somewhere...I'm really not keen on the more recent of hetty feather etc.

I know this is morbid but it will be a really sad day when JW is no longer with us,in my eyes anyway she really meant so much to me as a youngster.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I know this is morbid but it will be a really sad day when JW is no longer with us,in my eyes anyway she really meant so much to me as a youngster.
I agree with you. I know JK Rowling eventually surpassed her with the Harry Potter series for children but before that - and even after JK arrived and before HP grew big, Jacqueline Wilson was THE children’s author for British children for a long, long while. It will be very sad and a staple of especially 90s/00s kids childhood gone when she passes 🙁

Reactions: 12
---

---
Did anyone ever read a story (not JW, another female author) I think was written in the 80s/90s and called something like “letters from the lovestruck teenager” and the protagonist used to write to Mizz magazine bitching about her sister and family and life. I loved that book, and thought it was much more realistic

I loved letters of a lovestruck teenager- it didn't take itself as seriously which was really nice.

Knowing that Ellie, Magda and Nadine (although they're not real) would be in their 40's now makes me feel so old. Interested to read it!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think it sounds like it coudl be really great. Excited to revisit these characters and JW's writing again.

'An adult novel from the iconic, much-beloved household brand, Jacqueline Wilson, revisiting Ellie, Magda and Nadine from the Girls series, now aged 40. If they think life's done surprising them - they'll have to think again…
Being an adult isn’t quite what Ellie Allard dreamed it would be when she was fourteen years old. Though she’s got her beautiful daughter Lottie, life-long best friends in Magda and Nadine and her trusty cat Stella, her love life is non-existent and she feels like she’s been living on auto-pilot, just grateful to be able to afford the mortgage on her pokey little flat.
But this year on her birthday, the universe seems to decide it’s time to for all that to change – whether Ellie wants it to or not. As she navigates new, exciting and often choppy waters, she’s about to discover that life will never stop surprising you – if only you let it.'

• Heart
She has always been and will always be my favourite children's author. It'll be an extremely sad day, I'm just so glad that for now she's still writing books. I am so excited to read this latest book, sounds promising as I loved the Girls' series back in the day.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Really looking forward to the Girls sequel!
Same! I've been listening to them on youtube to help me sleep, hadn't realised when I first read them how toxic all the men seem are. Ellies dad, her boyfriend, basically all the boys involved. Not sure if it's me being older or that times have changed a bit, excited to see if it's the same or if that aspect has also changed

Reactions: 13
Same! I've been listening to them on youtube to help me sleep, hadn't realised when I first read them how toxic all the men seem are. Ellies dad, her boyfriend, basically all the boys involved. Not sure if it's me being older or that times have changed a bit, excited to see if it's the same or if that aspect has also changed
i reread them at the start of this thread and ellie’s dad is VILE. i’d completely forgotten how much younger ellie’s stepmum is (and that he was her teacher?) and how ick he always was with magda.

as a kid i though ellie’s boyfriend was the dream but when i reread it i just wanted her to run away from him. i love JW deeply but she doesn’t half write some really awful male characters.

---
They must be surely? I read Judy Blume as a child and they were written in the 70s in a lot of cases, segregation, weird period pads attached to your waist... I had no idea what I was reading sometimes but the overall story and characters were great so it didn't matter

I read so many of jw books but one that always stuck with me, especially as an adult, was one book in which a child was told someone had died in their sleep and the child being terrified of going to sleep as a consequence. It's so logical but also something that wouldn't occur to most adults would worry children. Her way of being able to put herself in the mind of aa child is really amazing

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I read so many of jw books but one that always stuck with me, especially as an adult, was one book in which a child was told someone had died in their sleep and the child being terrified of going to sleep as a consequence. It's so logical but also something that wouldn't occur to most adults would worry children. Her way of being able to put herself in the mind of aa child is really amazing
i think that was the suitcase kid, and Andy’s stepsister Katie(?) her mother had died in her sleep and she was so scared to go to sleep so she used to pinch Andy to make her stay awake with her and watched horror movies(?) at night to keep herself awake

• Heart
Reactions: 10
i think that was the suitcase kid, and Andy’s stepsister Katie(?) her mother had died in her sleep and she was so scared to go to sleep so she used to pinch Andy to make her stay awake with her and watched horror movies(?) at night to keep herself awake
And she had her own tv set with all the videos she wanted ;) the modern dream

Reactions: 5
They must be surely? I read Judy Blume as a child and they were written in the 70s in a lot of cases, segregation, weird period pads attached to your waist... I had no idea what I was reading sometimes but the overall story and characters were great so it didn't matter

if enid blyton (for one) is still in print that JW is too - children don’t really care about things being “dated” especially in an age where you can look things up immediately if you don’t understand them. i read judy blume as a preteen too, still not entirely sure what period belts are to this day and terrified a friend of mine who was having back surgery because i thought she would have a huge brace like deenie(?!) did 🤣

she’s amazing at putting herself in a child’s mind without being patronising. her books never talk down to kids, or lessen their problems. there will never be another one like her. judy blume is actually maybe her closest comparison in terms of how teenage problems were presented.
---
yes! katie with her beautiful black hair and blue eyes (and how she always went on about what a rare combo it was 🤣)

Reactions: 9
if enid blyton (for one) is still in print that JW is too - children don’t really care about things being “dated” especially in an age where you can look things up immediately if you don’t understand them. i read judy blume as a preteen too, still not entirely sure what period belts are to this day and terrified a friend of mine who was having back surgery because i thought she would have a huge brace like deenie(?!) did 🤣

she’s amazing at putting herself in a child’s mind without being patronising. her books never talk down to kids, or lessen their problems. there will never be another one like her. judy blume is actually maybe her closest comparison in terms of how teenage problems were presented.
---

yes! katie with her beautiful black hair and blue eyes (and how she always went on about what a rare combo it was 🤣)
I wonder if newer prints are updated though? I think I read EB has been edited and modernised since, to reflect shillings for pounds, for example, and no mentions of slappings as punishment.

Reactions: 1
I wonder if newer prints are updated though? I think I read EB has been edited and modernised since, to reflect shillings for pounds, for example, and no mentions of slappings as punishment.
it has! i’m sure are you there god, it’s me margaret has a glossary now to explain some of the references too.

tbh i don’t know if JW is outdated enough YET to warrant going out of print or being updated. i know there’s videotapes and such, but i think a 13 year old reading them now would still get the basic gist. the next generation, maybe not so much 🤣

Reactions: 4

---

I read most of Judy Blume when I was way too young 8/9 ,but I think my mum explained me the period belt thing much later.
God deenie with her endless ingrown toenails 🤣 I also remember (I think in deenie) the students being told masturbation would make you go blind 🤣🤣

• Haha
yeah, it was. The Suitcase Kid was one of my favourites, it really helped when my parents divorced, as at the time I didn't know many other kids with divorced parents - certainly whose parents went through a very messy divorce.

i didn't realise that the Girls series had four books - I read the first three, but had possibly outgrown Jacqueline Wilson's books by the time Girls in Tears was released and didn’t knew we about it, so i need to read that one to catch up before the new one is published! genuinely SO excited that is writing a new book - JW was my ultimate favourite author as a child. i met her once and I was so in awe of her - I used to write stories a lot as. a kid and she was a huge inspiration. I remember noticing she wore huge rings on all her fingers and thought it was so cool, I spent years doing similar! I even wrote to her a few times and it blew my mind that she replied!

did anyone else see this article on world book day this year where she read Tracey Beaker to various animals at a zoo? it was THE most precious article, and so cute to see a capybara smiling as she read to him, plus all the lemurs and monkeys getting so involved and JW herself looks so happy! 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 8