Jacqueline Wilson

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just finished Tracy Beaker and was it always a really short book or have we got a re written version? She has this day out with cam and it pretty much just ends. I'm sure she got fostered by her! I read it as a kid and I'm sure it was a thicker book, this isn't the original cover, so was it re done?

Reactions: 1
Just finished Tracy Beaker and was it always a really short book or have we got a re written version? She has this day out with cam and it pretty much just ends. I'm sure she got fostered by her! I read it as a kid and I'm sure it was a thicker book, this isn't the original cover, so was it re done?
I thought that too but I think we’ve just outgrown it 😂 it’s for 9 year olds babes

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I thought the same when I read it, thought it ended so quickly and I was disappointed as I thought I would have more stories to it, I had watched the Story of Tracy Beaker first on CBBC so thought the book would be more like that.

Did anyone read the other stories such as The Dare Game or Staring Tracy Beaker?

I thought the same when I read it, thought it ended so quickly and I was disappointed as I thought I would have more stories to it, I had watched the Story of Tracy Beaker first on CBBC so thought the book would be more like that.

Did anyone read the other stories such as The Dare Game or Staring Tracy Beaker?
Yeah I couldn't really get into the dare game but then again I'm not a fan on Tracy beaker tbh lol

I never got into Tracy Beaker either.

What are the books like to read as an adult? Have they been ruined for anyone because the memory of them wasn't as good when you read it again 🙈

Reactions: 2

What are the books like to read as an adult? Have they been ruined for anyone because the memory of them wasn't as good when you read it again 🙈
i found them equally as enjoyable (and still quite witty) as when i was a kid!

however as others have said a few pages back, i found some of the romances (in her older books) seriously ick with a weird focus with a younger woman/older man dynamic. i was genuinely shocked by just how creepy all the love interests (especially ellie’s boyfriend) in the girls… series were!

Reactions: 5

I just love it when the cool girls are cool because they have a video recorder and their own collection of videos 😂

Listening to an audiobook and it’s sooo dated, makes me feel so old as they were the hottest thing to read as like a 12 year old! They all watch videos and when they grow up they’re going to have a pink TV with their own video recorder and cassette tape player and lots of videos and tapes, and go to la Senza :) imagine when J wrote them she never dreamed there would be no such thing as a video twenty years later, like there wasn’t flying skateboards twenty years after back to the future 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Listening to an audiobook and it’s sooo dated, makes me feel so old as they were the hottest thing to read as like a 12 year old! They all watch videos and when they grow up they’re going to have a pink TV with their own video recorder and cassette tape player and lots of videos and tapes, and go to la Senza :) imagine when J wrote them she never dreamed there would be no such thing as a video twenty years later, like there wasn’t flying skateboards twenty years after back to the future 😂
Oh, La Senza. I had a pair of satin pj bottoms from there. Felt very grown up.

Reactions: 2
i remember reading one of the books, maybe love lessons? and the main character buying a tiny lace bra and knicker set or whatever with her tuition money made me so jealous at the time 😭

I was never a fan of the girls series but I know a few of you mentioned them here...
exciting! As much as I loved her books I hope she updates the language in this new one. It’ll be jarring to read in 2024 a 13 year old saying “oh, mummy, don’t be so utterly ridiculous” compared to “give me back my bleeping VAPE” 😶

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I just hope they achieved their dreams ❤ if any of them are depressed and tied to horrible husbands it will break my heart

exciting! As much as I loved her books I hope she updates the language in this new one. It’ll be jarring to read in 2024 a 13 year old saying “oh, mummy, don’t be so utterly ridiculous” compared to “give me back my bleeping VAPE” 😶
She wrote several adult novels back in the day with plenty of swearing so I'm sure it will be fine lol. I wonder if anyone else here read any of her adult novels? I can remember two, but not the titles:
  • A married woman, iirc named Claire, begins an affair with ... some guy. A plot point was someone getting killed in a hit and run but I don't remember who
  • A police detective (warning; plot involves CSA/sexual assault) goes on a date with a girl who he thinks is at least 18, but is actually only 15. So he leaves and immediately afterwards, she gets sexually assaulted walking home and assumes it was him and he gets arrested. He has to find the real culprit, who is also attacking other women

😬😬 it’s JW, I think that’s a given for at least one of them…
According to the description, Ellie is a single mum, so it will be one of the other two. None of them ever had a "good" relationship even in the original. Ellie had Dan (loser) and Russell (pretentious jerk who treated her badly but she believed he was her true love because they were both into art.) Magda and Nadine wanted an adult boyfriend and looked down on "schoolboys", so they drew the kind of predatory man who'd be attracted to a 14-year-old girl. I wonder if it wouldn't be Magda who has a seemingly nice/perfect life but abusive or manipulative husband? As is common with a lot of JW's novels for children

Also predict one of the girls being gay/bisexual, maybe Ellie (the promo talks about her encountering many surprises in life)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm really interested to see what she does with it, a lot of her newer children's fiction hasn't been that great imo.