Jack Monroe #99 Great Eggspectations

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My 2 penneth would be that no, it isn't ok for people with a clinical illness to start showing signs that they are becoming more poorly and are struggling. It shouldn't be just a shoulder shrug and accepted as fine to be that way.

It is ok to to accept that these things are happening because you're unwell, and not to beat yourself up with guilt, harsh self criticism etc, as that can make things worse and also lead to very dark places.

But the message should be, that it's ok to feel what you are feeling, but let's try and see what will fix it?

Just what I think anyway ❤

Does anyone know, are these her words? Has she written them before or something? They're very familiar to me, down to the banana bread comment. Can't think where I've read it though 🤔
You have put it far better than I did. That is exactly what I meant. The way I interpret the "it's OK to be not OK" is there should be no stigma to MH conditions. It is OK to be ill, OK to speak about MH conditions, and OK to not be ashamed of having a MH illness. However it is not saying that it is OK to just suffer, lie in bed and spiral into a deep depression. it is implying that you should get help and not be embarrassed.

Her interpretation of the slogan is to suggestion that the way to deal with poor MH is allowing yourself to stay in bed, not wash and eat crap and that is just dangerous.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
The ok not to be ok strapline was intended to ‘normalise’ talking about MH and for those of us who suffer to realise we aren’t alone and there’s no stigma. But absolutely, normalising some aspects of the black dog just makes you forget what normal life is about and stop using the techniques that keep all of us going every day.
It's the same as body positivity, init. Was meant to actually uplift voices, turned into skinny white women in bikinis.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Random and too-late thoughts while Grunka-ing thoughts (where is Grunka :(?)
  • My son is a year younger than Jack's 🔺and he is basically independent as long as I feed him, take him to extracurriculars and make sure he goes to bed. It's absolutely ridiculous to compare a 10 year old to a pre-schooler.
  • Zoom meetings are not optional if I don't want to get fired.
  • Also, some of my zoom meetings are AA meetings 🔺hint hint Jack
  • Louisa, what are you doing mate?
  • If you're not ok, it's ok to reach out for help. Please reach out for help. We're facing a mental health crisis now, and it can kill people. Don't just wallow in silence, don't be ok with suffering, there are resources out there. Other people have put this much more eloquently than me, but I find Jack's message dangerous.

• Heart
Reactions: 78
My 2 penneth would be that no, it isn't ok for people with a clinical illness to start showing signs that they are becoming more poorly and are struggling. It shouldn't be just a shoulder shrug and accepted as fine to be that way.

It is ok to to accept that these things are happening because you're unwell, and not to beat yourself up with guilt, harsh self criticism etc, as that can make things worse and also lead to very dark places.

But the message should be, that it's ok to feel what you are feeling, but let's try and see what will fix it?

Just what I think anyway ❤

Does anyone know, are these her words? Has she written them before or something? They're very familiar to me, down to the banana bread comment. Can't think where I've read it though 🤔
I follow Matt Haig and I'm 99.9% sure he said pretty much the same back during lockdown v.1.

Reactions: 24
I've unfollowed Matt Haig on twitter after reading The Midnight Library. What a pile of old tosh. He and Jackie can get in the bin together.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
If she and Louisa are back together on the stealth, can you imagine the awkwardness of Louisa's friends and colleagues who must have said after the break up, "Phew, mate, you dodged a bullet there."

• Haha
Reactions: 84
She's not even tagged into that comment to Louisa, she just randomly turns up to act like some sort of henchman to admonish the person for having the AUDACITY to be unfamiliar with her girlfriend's work.
Wonder what Louisa would think about a person who takes money from people on benefits to maintain a lavish lifestyle?

• Wow
Reactions: 51
Oh, thank god!
I thought I was the only one who found him as insufferable as her.
I blocked him years ago. I genuinely can’t fathom why he thinks he - a white, middle class man turned Brighton-dwelling author - can speak for so many with regards to their experience around mental health. Generally shallow understanding of structural factors contributing to MH crises. Also just bleeping schmaltzy and I can’t be arsed with that whole bunting and positive quotes in frames scene.

At least he doesn’t pretend to be poor like a certain secret medal-worshipper, though.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Wonder what Louisa would think about a person who takes money from people on benefits to maintain a lavish lifestyle?

She knew and was totally complicit. Jack does all this nonsense in public and there’s no way she doesn’t know. She’s absolutely as bad as her.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
She knew and was totally complicit. Jack does all this nonsense in public and there’s no way she doesn’t know. She’s absolutely as bad as her.
Yeah, I started out feeling sorry for her, then realised they are made for one another
- Cackling like schoolgirls on hiding JO's books behind Jack's in a bookstore
- Allegedly feeding Jack confidential info from work (a la Marcus Rashford's MBE before the embargo lifted)
- She will know about Jack's Patreon & tip jar, whilst being at the head of programmes lifting the lid on poverty in the UK :mad:

• Angry
Reactions: 63
The tweet about Walliams is quite old and is from that odd Coven Convenor account. I don't necessarily think it will lead anywhere.
Also I keep seeing that Denim Sue twitter account screenshotted on here but I’m pretty certain that’s just a former Tattler who was perhaps a troll before Tattle 🤔

I think, much as we live in hope that Jack will be found out and the mindless squiggles will get a grip, I can’t see it happening without an überchaos or a scathing media exposé (which definitely won’t happen now Louisa is back on the scene).

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Also I keep seeing that Denim Sue twitter account screenshotted on here but I’m pretty certain that’s just a former Tattler who was perhaps a troll before Tattle 🤔

I think, much as we live in hope that Jack will be found out and the mindless squiggles will get a grip, I can’t see it happening without an überchaos or a scathing media exposé (which definitely won’t happen now Louisa is back on the scene).
Yeah. I find it kind of unlikely that anyone will change their mind, or journalists will start sniffing around, based on the handful of Twitter accounts that seem to exist purely to be anti-Jack. If anything, they'll have the opposite effect, feeding into her victim narrative.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
"It's OK not to be OK"

So much what all of you have said above.

Could someone gently take R Jackie to one side and (try to) explain to her the difference between self-love and self-indulgence?

Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.