Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But the thing is, in the chef world,she is the privileged one:
A. She can’t cook
B. Had numerous “recipe“ books published. Most chefs would give their right hand for that
C. Several gigs on tv although she’s tit at it
D. Pretty much instant fame from her blog.

she’s strolled into being a celebrity chef due to luck, pretty and middle class and yet she has the damned cheek to sneer at other chefs who have worked damned hard to get where they are.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
So true, as an example when I was a kid my parents had a really violent fight over there not being enough bread in the house as someone had eaten one slice and they couldnt afford to get any more etc etc,
so now I'm obsessed with making sure there are always several loaves in my house... like I'm sure my kids and husband think I've got some weird fixation on bread 😂
I lived with a partner many years ago and there was never anything in to eat, he used to waste money on alcohol so the fridge was full of lager but never any food. So now I overcompensate and spend hundreds a week, I have no room for tins but at least I won't go hungry. That situation was traumatic.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
I'm sure I've heard the same story, but attached to a different author, and more than once so I wouldn't take that at prima facie
See I believe it because Popbitch are realllllyy careful about legals.

I'm no fan of David Walliams but I do think that people can underestimate the amount of requests he gets every single day for him to show up at places or send messages. It must be very difficult to get the balance right, and I don't think it's unreasonable to just have a blanket answer of "No, I'm sorry I am too busy"
I believe he has spoken in the past about his own mental health, and I don't think there is anything wrong in looking after yourself and protecting yourself.
If you say yes to a few things, and then there is a child with advanced cancer who loves your books, and then a little girl who has just lost her Mum, and a group of kids who are all battling a horrible disease. Oh it must be really hard once you've said yes, you'd never be able to stop.
I know it seems simple, just to pop into a hospital or whatever but I do think it's too much to ask of someone and I would never think badly of someone who couldn't or wouldn't do it.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
One thing I noticed from old clips of her TV appearances posted in the last thread - she certainly seems more confident? Not so timid and unsure and ‘woo, I’m about to a chaos’.
Granted, she was giving her two pennies about social issues / rudeness, and NOT attempting to cook at the same time, but she had a bit more bite to her then.

I wonder if she feels imposter syndrome with her ‘cooking’ appearances - she’s been rolling on and on this career path that all centres around her being strapped for cash and cooking to a budget ... but it’s no longer relevant, is it? And she knows it 🤷🏻‍♀️
Yes, absolutely!

I agree with this, she seemed calmer and definitely more in control of her shoulders and hands. But she was also way more serious and stony faced, that is not the look they want for a TV chef. I reckon the TV execs said to her that she needed to lighten up and be more smiley and friendly. That's when it all went to tit, as that is not her natural persona and she is therefore putting on a front, out of sorts, a bag of nerves and it puts the viewer on edge.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Need distraction. Eldest having an operation today. Youngest feeding every 2 minutes. Any more drama llama? Or has everyone just accepted Jack is a dick?
Thinking of you & eldest, please let us know how you get on? ❤❤❤

JM has transitioned to working class spokesperson yet again - not sure how long it’ll last. We haven’t had any sexy thot shots to distract you with, sadly (?). Kitten allegedly been “looked over” by a vet. Putin still funding the coven, some of us are buying fancy vacuums but no one’s reached the dizzying heights of Cotswold Co yet x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Thinking of books we read when we were 10 - Half my class had read flowers in the attic in the last year of junior school which had murder, neglect, incest (!) and abuse. I didn’t, but I heard other (quite posh - more than half my class went on to private secondaries) girls chatting about it.
I read Flowers in the Attic and the follow ups when I was around 10/11, I felt SO naughty!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Had a look on mumsnet yesterday. Much the same comments as here.

People really don’t like her bullshit. I honestly struggle to believe she has so many ailments. And that so much negative stuff has happened in her life.

Which has of course been drip fed to the media every time she wants her name in the press.

She’s just an Internet gangster. I actually feel really sorry for her sons dad if he was the person who bought the DW books.

Like. They are kids books. It’s not the complete works of Shakespeare. They aren’t supposed to be taken that seriously.

Her ex had a lucky escape. Imagine coming home to all that angst and rage every night of the week. It would do my head in.

She’s an absolute moron. My mum grew up in the 50s and she went to school with kids who were very poor. Of course it can’t have been nice for Jack to have been in that situation but if that had been me. I’d have gone to stay with a relative if they had had the spare room. Not a chance would I have been unscrewing lightbulbs and selling all my possessions.

She plays on the fear of being poor again. It’s ten years on. She’s not poor. She needs to give it a rest.
She's a keyboard warrior, all fur coat and no knickers

• Haha
Reactions: 21
I wondered earlier whether JM had ever done Question Time and a quick Google search threw up (literally) this. Is shrimp shellfish?

22A9F656-9EEA-4956-BCDF-B3C4DA52B9EE.png

• Sick
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Not related to the DW bollocks but was thinking about Jack’s crappy slop food she thinks poor people deserve for some reason. Jack, I have about £22 in my bank at the moment. I don’t have a lot of money, never have really and yet every day I make delicious, filling and nutritious food with the small amount of money I have. How has she made a living out of disgusting recipes and telling the less well off what they should be eating? It’s insulting is what it is.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
It warms my heart that so many of us are in the unsuitable literature club ❤.

My friends and I all discussed and passed round Flowers in the Attic, Wideacre, Stephen King etc.

Happy days!

@acca00 I remember the Lily Madigan stuff as well. You're spot on about the similarities.
I think mum used to leave her Harold Robbins books around to aid my sex education, a rather odd approach.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I remember reading Duncton Wood when I was 10 or 11. It was full of mole sex written in a very erotic way...lots of claws raking along quivering flanks and so on.

I'm a bit tired of this Walliams witch hunt to be honest. My favourite Jack is Tin Can't Cook Jack. Get back to the inedible slop please!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
I watched the encounter with Edwina Curry yesterday, I was surprised by the difference in the way JM spoke, very different from the quaking character of the DKL shows.
Also, the fact that she thinks passing 4 GCSE’s means she didn’t go to grammar school. IMO she has an edit function in her brain that changes facts into a version she wants.
She choose the “poverty”, as lots of people have said she could have received help from her family or her sons father. But she didn’t (god knows why)!.
Everything she says is skewed to suit the version of herself she is currently peddling.
I’m going to stop now before I end up in a bad mood because of her.
Take the kitten to the vet (in the singular, not the royal we).

• Heart
Reactions: 31
See I believe it because Popbitch are realllllyy careful about legals.

I'm no fan of David Walliams but I do think that people can underestimate the amount of requests he gets every single day for him to show up at places or send messages. It must be very difficult to get the balance right, and I don't think it's unreasonable to just have a blanket answer of "No, I'm sorry I am too busy"
I believe he has spoken in the past about his own mental health, and I don't think there is anything wrong in looking after yourself and protecting yourself.
If you say yes to a few things, and then there is a child with advanced cancer who loves your books, and then a little girl who has just lost her Mum, and a group of kids who are all battling a horrible disease. Oh it must be really hard once you've said yes, you'd never be able to stop.
I know it seems simple, just to pop into a hospital or whatever but I do think it's too much to ask of someone and I would never think badly of someone who couldn't or wouldn't do it.
I have to say, at the work party I met him at when he was really rude to me (and other people) he was an absolute sweetheart to a couple of kids that were there, asking them questions, making a big fuss, silly voices. And this was before he’d even written any children’s books, it was just after Little Britain I think, so I can’t imagine how many requests he has now.

Reactions: 24
God that Mumsnet thread though.

I've walked away from MN as had two comments deleted which were not abusive and one in which I wished Jack well.

Deleted my account earlier today and off to Mumschat which is better and more functional.

They are watching the thread and it'll go poof at some point. God forbid anyone should be allowed to criticise Saint Jack.🙄🤬

• Wow
Reactions: 27
I think she can't take the kitten to the vet because she doesn't have the money. This is entirely my opinion m'lord. Under normal circumstances she would happily share a vet's professional opinion and give obnoxious retorts to anyone giving their tuppence worth to that, same way she does with her own health issues. Why wouldn't she share with all those lovely followers who adore her kitten posts? No matter how much dough she has, she's split with her partner who had a well paying job and I imagine she's feeling that pinch. Maybe she's now paying all of the rent herself and things are tight?! Thing is, everyone knows she took on the kitten after the split so she can't take the fallen on hard times or even the crowdfunder route, everyone will know how irresponsible it was. (Pretty sure the people on these threads alone would cover the costs, just say the word, Jack).
But didn't she say she'd put her DKL money away to one side, which angered people as she was still asking for donations. She would have earned a minimum of £1000 a day, but I reckon a lot more. Where has that money gone? She also had her Hellman's gig.

Reactions: 16
It does seem like a weird character juxtaposition between bolshy, gobby Twitter Jack and bumbling, nervous "I did a chaos' Jack.

Reactions: 14
The stuff I was reading by 10 😱 I had an advanced reading age and plundered my mum’s books. Virginia Andrews, Jackie Collins, Stephen King, the Idi Amin biography 😳
I turned out ok. On the outside.
Hahahahahahaha.
I started reading the Kay Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwall at around 13/14 because I was really into crime thrillers and bloody hell THAT SERIES took a hard genre turn. I was so embarrassed to return the books to the library. And my mother used to read the books I was reading so I had to hide that one in my bag until it was safely read and returned.😂

I think if you have a kid with a love of reading who's getting through loads of books it's a lot harder to keep them from reading something a bit too adult by mistake, but surely if your kid had read 23 books by the same author you'd have taken an interest and cracked the cover open for a little read long before now, or even read it to him as a bedtime story???

Also this tweet (by a YouTuber so uncovered) is not about jack, but at the same time it (yes) absolutely (x) could be of great use to our Cack.

Screenshot_20200708-093526__01.jpg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.