Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One thing I noticed from old clips of her TV appearances posted in the last thread - she certainly seems more confident? Not so timid and unsure and ‘woo, I’m about to a chaos’.
Granted, she was giving her two pennies about social issues / rudeness, and NOT attempting to cook at the same time, but she had a bit more bite to her then.

I wonder if she feels imposter syndrome with her ‘cooking’ appearances - she’s been rolling on and on this career path that all centres around her being strapped for cash and cooking to a budget ... but it’s no longer relevant, is it? And she knows it 🤷🏻‍♀️
I noticed that too. I put it down to the fact that she seems less nervous when she’s being bolshy about politics. And much more nervous cooking, because she’s not very good at it. You can bluster and blag your way through a debate but if you are tit at cooking there is no hiding it. I genuinely think she should switch to full time activism and blogging.

edited to add : I just mean I think she’d be much happier not living a lie and pretending to like cooking. I think she’d also be unbearable as a full time activist but maybe she’d just be a bit happier.

Reactions: 29
It's such a fake tumblr way to begin a story.
*closes 8yr old tumblr blog* 😳 Yes twitter is generally 6months to a year behind tumblr. And now instagram is screenshotted twitter posts which are actually 5yr old tumblr posts. The circle of life.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
I noticed that too. I put it down to the fact that she seems less nervous when she’s being bolshy about politics. And much more nervous cooking, because she’s not very good at it. You can bluster and blag your way through a debate but if you are tit at cooking there is no hiding it. I genuinely think she should switch to full time activism and blogging.
God no, no a career in shouting nonsense. There is enough numpties in politics. I think she should get a job in a library... Yes libraries are nice..... And quiet and she can play all day on her beloved twitter and rage tweet about all the inappropriate books she seen people take out.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
*closes 8yr old tumblr blog* 😳 Yes twitter is generally 6months to a year behind tumblr. And now instagram is screenshotted twitter posts which are actually 5yr old tumblr posts. The circle of life.
And Facebook will get there sometime around 2023

• Haha
Reactions: 22
So long as you don't start ending your stories with "and then everyone clapped", we're good 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 30
One thing I noticed from old clips of her TV appearances posted in the last thread - she certainly seems more confident? Not so timid and unsure and ‘woo, I’m about to a chaos’.
Granted, she was giving her two pennies about social issues / rudeness, and NOT attempting to cook at the same time, but she had a bit more bite to her then.

I wonder if she feels imposter syndrome with her ‘cooking’ appearances - she’s been rolling on and on this career path that all centres around her being strapped for cash and cooking to a budget ... but it’s no longer relevant, is it? And she knows it 🤷🏻‍♀️
Totally agree having read her blog from 2012/3 this morning! She had a different tone of voice and covered a lot of wider social issues in it. Food was honestly a lot more of an aside in the blog posts and maybe counted for 30% of the content. It was more of an example of how to cope while living in poverty. I can see why people became her fan in the earlier days because she largely comes across as likeable in it (aside from the JO mention haha). Absolutely nothing like how she writes now. Having read it, I really don't doubt she struggled late 2011/2012 - although she mentioned having trial jobs and three weeks of shifts in March 2012 so not the eight months of no jobs/300 applications she later claimed (having left the Fire Service in late 2011 it seems).

But I do struggle to understand why she self-flagellated to the point where she didn't ask her parents for help.

It actually made me go back into the cycle of feeling pity for her. I think fame has fucked her up.

If anyone is interested in taking a look: https://web.archive.org/web/20121013232912/http://agirlcalledjack.com/

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
48A5B6B8-D29B-4AF7-B37F-C73FCD96B199.jpeg
1B2BC41D-1FE0-4662-9A95-0EDC1538801C.jpeg
The comedown is definitely due. After the panic of the Henry gif and the high of the media attention, now all she’s got is people who will never work with her and random twitter people seeing things they hadn’t noticed about her before.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I've got to say a big thanks to Vlad for paying us so well, I'm really impressed with my new vacuum cleaner.

Guys, I can't believe you're doubting that hundreds of people have messaged her to say they're removing all DW books from their schools, libraries and bookshops. Why would she lie about that. It's not like she's trying to cause a pile on and get him cancelled.

She will probably show us the receipts at any moment. She's just blanking out the names quickly.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
She is so arrogant it is unbelievable. Does she think all celebrity chefs started out being celebrities? Most of them started at the bottom - washing pots and getting paid an utter pittance for long hours. They worked their way up and learnt valuable skills. Most chefs have a fair old clue about poverty because they would have spent so long earning dire wages until they got to about sous chef level. And most professional chefs are from a working class background.

Of course they bleeping know how to live off a budget as they did it for years. Not for a couple of months like Jack did and has spent the subsequent 10 yrs cos playing at being poor and refusing to learn how to cook.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I am really on one rage level with her today because I can’t abide liars or lazies tbh. I’ve always worked in media & tech, now fashion. These are dominated by upper middle classes and on occasions, legit upper classes, because they tend to recruit exclusively from unpaid internships, although that is changing somewhat and a handful more of normal people are getting in per year.

I can’t explain how tit and isolating being WC in these environments can be and I wish JM could experience a sprinkle of the sadness and upset I have before she feels the need to talk on it.

From being 21 and clocking you’re one of the only ones in the room paying your own rent, who needs their salary to you know - eat, to visiting your mate’s ridiculously nice warehouse conversion and realising which side of the divide they really sit on & they can’t come back to your shithole in non gentrified zone 5 now you know how they live. Talking of gentrification, the way they discuss their property purchases and which areas are “safe” or “up and coming” is loaded with classism and racism and they have no considerations that you may very well come from those shitholes. Having to hear classist tit jokes and just sit there and take it. Brexit oh lord and everyone’s opinions on how the white working class in this country vote, as if we’re all EDL aligned morons who can’t read. Being told during salary negotiations you earn a lot and should be grateful, when you know their kids are getting paid more for assistant roles where they’re literally compiling press cuttings into a scrap book as if that’s hard. Having to go to the kitchen to do breathing exercises cos someone’s doing mockney impressions of their workmen and people have joined in, as if it’s unfathomable they may be sat near an electrician’s daughter heaven forbid! Jokes on not drinking with an Irish name. Code switching and having an entirely different work voice & vocab, when you go out for lunch with a trusted confidant (of which you’ll have one or two in an office of 500+) or real life friend coming back full of joy and genuinely happy you got to be yourself for a few hours before returning to the facade, and feeling like tit about it. Wondering if you’re paid less than X because you’re a woman, or is it because they think they can take you for a mug because you’re not posh? People acting really overly surprised when they find out your uni, degree, and classification like yeah hun they let us in now too x When people go OTT woweeee when they find out you’re the first in your family to go to uni. When people act really shocked your parents are dead so young, yeah tends to happen to us poors babe! Even crappy questions like what do your parents / siblings do at ice breaker activities cos theirs are doctors or nurses. Even small talk with the posh agency account managers/directors feels like that matrix scene dodging bullets of emotional labour and cringe as you wait for some dumb tit to be said eurgh.

Equally it’s being one of a handful of allies for your black colleagues who are upset that someone’s done something yet again and you’ve got to sit there and there’s literally nothing you can bleeping say to excuse or explain it, you just have to listen to yet another racist encounter in the office, which is obviously no where near as bad as their experience itself. Which I’m sure JM has also experienced having such pronounced black skin!

This is an essay and it’s literally just skimming the top of the surface. I’m lucky because I have a relatively softened south London accent, am white, and tbh now have the privilege of being married to someone who can cover me so I don’t need to be scared to sack tit off anymore so can defend myself (I raise formal grievances now, I never used to). I’ve heard so much worse for my northern colleagues and people seem to think different types of “jokes” are appropriate for them too. Same with immigrant colleagues & jokes about their voice and country. Or those weirdos that verge on jovial racism with Asian colleagues... what is that about?!

It’s so tit but JM being neither WC or properly employed would not get it. Again it’s the liberal trap she’s fallen into, yes I care about WC representation and no I don’t think I’d like my baby reading DW’s book, but I feel like there are other spots on fire in our lives that I’d tackle before him? Like I’d rather talk about the attainment gap covid 19 is leaving between poor & WC (two separate definitive groups - not all WC people are skint Jack!) children and their middle class peers. Rather than discussing the ins and outs of ONE children’s author.

Sorry for rant will leave it there x

• Heart
Reactions: 97
There’s an article on the Southend Echo online about her and Walliams. Fairly short but it does mention that she thought a white character was black! Apparently there is 55 comments but I can’t see them so they must have been removed. I can imagine the kind of things people were saying though.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
She is so arrogant it is unbelievable. Does she think all celebrity chefs started out being celebrities? Most of them started at the bottom - washing pots and getting paid an utter pittance for long hours. They worked their way up and learnt valuable skills. Most chefs have a fair old clue about poverty because they would have spent so long earning dire wages until they got to about sous chef level. And most professional chefs are from a working class background.

Of course they bleeping know how to live off a budget as they did it for years. Not for a couple of months like Jack did and has spent the subsequent 10 yrs cos playing at being poor and refusing to learn how to cook.
I went to school with a lad who was really smart but a real no hoper. I don't know of his background but I am guessing it wasn't great. When we were doing his GCSE he was washing pots in a hotel at the weekend. He then got all excited because just before out GCSE they offered to take him on to train up as a chef. This kid was going nowhere else fast he was constantly in trouble in school and just didn't care, but with cooking he did care and it helped him drive towards staying out of trouble.

I think it's very ignorant of her to attack her fellow chefs, just because they have done better than her. She made a name for herself and gotten a few gigs. If she would get her trap shut and continued to plug her stuff then she could get noticed.

Reactions: 33
Need distraction. Eldest having an operation today. Youngest feeding every 2 minutes. Any more drama llama? Or has everyone just accepted Jack is a dick?

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Guys, I can't believe you're doubting that hundreds of people have messaged her to say they're removing all DW books from their schools, libraries and bookshops. Why would she lie about that. It's not like she's trying to cause a pile on and get him cancelled.
Yes it makes perfect sense doesn't it? Libraries are empty, bookshops are losing customers due to the Amazon behemoth, so of course they'll remove one of the best selling and popular authors from their shelves. It's not like businesses are struggling at the moment or anything :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
By the way, this was in Popbitch:

>> Booking issues <<​
Trying to stop the spread​

Hot on the heels of his blackface backlash, David Walliams' children's books are the latest bit of culture to be placed under the microscope.

Some of his critics are saying that the stories are too problematic to subject young kids to - but, in fairness to Walliams, he seems to be doing more than most to stop children from actually reading any of them.

Walliams was approached by a literacy charity not too long ago to see if he would do something for the 100 or so children who completed their reading programme that year. He said he wouldn't have the time to record a video message, but would send the kids a book of his instead.

Which he did.

One book. For a hundred kids to share.​
I'm sure I've heard the same story, but attached to a different author, and more than once so I wouldn't take that at prima facie

• Haha
Reactions: 22
The stuff I was reading by 10 😱 I had an advanced reading age and plundered my mum’s books. Virginia Andrews, Jackie Collins, Stephen King, the Idi Amin biography 😳
I turned out ok. On the outside.
Hahahahahahaha.
Ha, I thought I'd read inappropriate books aged 10, but you beat me with your Idi Amin biography.

I let my kids read anything and everything. We talk about stuff. It's important to learn about what other people think, even if you disagree with them. This DW thing reminds me of the 90s, when people thought playing video games or watching a violent film would lead to school shootings.

I remember reading Billionaire Boy with my son a few years ago. I admit, I was somewhat taken aback by the whole page 3 thing, but to be fair, it led to discussion about how women and men are treated differently and about nudity and what's appropriate. I assume no one was scarred for life, but I guess only time will tell.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I saw a still of her from this morning from a few years ago. She looks much more confident.

She has a huge ego. Constantly brownie pointing. While other people are getting on with it quietly.

What activism has she actually done? In the beginning she was getting awards right left and centre? What about lately.

There’s a woman called Charlotte Hughes on twitter. She lives well below the line. I believe she lives in Manchester. She stands outside job centres in all weathers handing out food parcels and sign posting people to services when the DWP don’t.

That’s activism. Her area was one of the first areas to get UC, I believe they were one of the pilot areas.

Jack? What activism has she done lately? Poverty wise. Political wise.

As far as I can see her activism consists of acting like a prick all over twitter

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.