Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
Well. It’s a recap you’re wanting, is it.
1. Jack’s media takeover continued, much to the dismay of the cabal, everywhere they looked in non-tattle media, there she was, saying being mean to Poors is bad, or whatever it is she goes on about.
2. A slight wrinkle in the Campaign was that the ONS had to explain economics and statistics to her, now she doesn’t understand either but is chucking around salient words and phrases as if she did
3. Who knows what Economics Editor and lover of numbers Chrismate at the FT has done to her? except calmly explain the numbers and agree.
4. Plot twist - she decided to go for Chrismate and give him a taste of her own medicine #bekind
5. All the Asda have smart price goods in. Newcastle does but she won’t pay £163 for a train there to buy it, you nincompoop! A game of “that one, no not that, that’s a bit different, no that’s not it” has ensued as squigs send in pictures of smart price pasta in the wild
6. It’s not ONLINE! smart price is two words Jack, just like thank you
7. We thought all of this started coz Shoeburyness Asda ran out of rice, turns out it’s coz Jack can’t operate the Asda website search function properly. Fruit and veg is GROWERS CHOICE now anyway
8. Just as Jack was looking like she was unraveling like a badly knitted oatmeal blanket, she decided to try and take down Asda. Tin foil hat firmly on (probs has fishy oil on it too) she deified previous owners, internationally renowned mercenaries Walmart, whilst accusing the new owners of trying to commit some kind of mass assault of the poor by only selling “extra special” Asda bread at petrol stations.
9. Did you know? Supermarkets pay poverty wages and make the benefits bill higher. Which they steal and include in their profits. Or some other Big Maths.
10. How do we pay for benefits? Taxes! Well not you, Jack Monroe, Director of On A Bootstrap Ltd who have 2 years overdue accounts.
11. Jack reckons she’s got “actual receipts” but you don’t know them, they go to a different school. With Mini and Dasher.
12. I hope she has an “actual lawyer” or a “literal intervention”
“Fame, fame, fatal fame” a young Morrissey mused, and look how he turned out.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 149

jenny2603

VIP Member
Oh my, my very first thread title! I wish I could go back and tell that bullied, oppressed teenager sneering and grinning up the back of the class that one day my talent for mockery would be recognised.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 134

Toffee finger

VIP Member
Right I’m home. What an end to a holiday 😂
It was quite busy in Asda and I wanted to get back to unpack etc so I haven’t photographed everything but tried to remember some of the main items mentioned. I spotted a lot of smart price white packaged items and a lot of Asda own items. Fortunately didn’t bump in to Jack, I had my husband as my security on the look out!

I’ll put the photos in a spoiler as there’s quite a few and they’re big.
My receipt to show it is Shoebury Asda
00A0007E-2552-4EA8-A4C9-48676CDF2D43.jpeg

90B77AF2-4691-4A95-B5D4-B818AAA813E4.jpeg

13161ED5-5C09-4C09-B189-9E6738C0F9B3.jpeg

C74253FD-C798-44AE-9A8F-B5037C7AA177.jpeg

30BA8579-6917-4589-9FCF-7FF45C909769.jpeg

(fancy!) Single lemons are 20p

3048B19D-935A-4BFB-A699-E1C505603CC8.jpeg

574B708E-E441-42D4-B4B9-B764086E3B64.jpeg

(They also had a 25p and 32p can of beans)

CF2998A1-F34B-48F9-9DD9-565A2944EA35.jpeg

D13F2D54-ACB4-4A6A-A572-A57BCAF0A92F.jpeg

61744177-5ADC-4A31-94A5-428780BBF6D5.jpeg

A4993695-C95A-4658-842E-AEDEA05861BE.jpeg

RINSED BEANS

5D819248-F067-4FB4-BA07-8CB443E67AEE.jpeg

797DB1C8-89CF-4998-A199-81C5FBE689C9.jpeg

(Got flashbacks to the thread where fish was mentioned so much the word lost all meaning)

DE174776-E52F-4A6D-ADED-64EA3AAC678D.jpeg

31p peaches

D9706D1B-C05D-4615-85BD-21FBA76B972A.jpeg

C9654A49-F35A-4B66-BB1A-14DE67E7568A.jpeg

35D3C3AF-24EF-4428-AC7F-B2CAF320017D.jpeg

I haven’t grunked to the custard bit where I presume this thread title came from but took a photo of it anyway

I can’t remember who asked about curry sauce but the only one I could spot today was an 89p one

Attachments

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 114

Kallie77

Hello! Few month lurker here flushed out of lurking due to grift induced rage. Been enjoying reading along here the last few months. Found tattle after following Jack for a few years on twitter as im quite a left wing / working class chip on shoulder frau, but around the time of the Edinburgh debacle things started to not add up, googled and found you and read with interest. Came back again for good a few months ago when some tweet or another really got up my nose. Then the Terry Pratchett support really upset me as love those books so tweeted some very mild reply to be careful who you align with without naming the one and only and got piled upon and had to delete tweet and lock account. Even wrote something nice to her once about the last kitten 🙁. Anyway as someone else has said dark times, but you have all made me laugh these last few months so thank-you 💕

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 113

BeautifulTrauma

VIP Member
Don’t know where this will end up.

But I bought our Charlie in a big fuck you to Jack, strapped him in the car as the way she talks about his meals they’re solid gold. Oh and it worked out CHEAPER buying this meal for two for me and my Mum with a M&S (no less) garlic baguette than it was to buy two separate ready meals/stuff to cook.
While I was in there actually, 1kg of fusilli was 75p which I was surprised by!

Charlie Bigham is worth ten of you Jack, you rent-a-tweet twat. Now fuck off and play with your abacus.

5BA3E6AB-7A67-4CF7-94C7-1645BD878E07.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 113
Hello and welcome. What made you begin to have doubts about Jack? Sorry but I love these stories.
Ill try and be brief. I used her recipes, occasionally. My lad would eat the infamous peach curry until it came out of his ears. I last made her faux steak and ale pie which was , amazingly, brown slop with pastry on. Having been properly on the bones of my arse, and being a left leaning single dad i was interested in frugal cooking and the politics of food poverty. I kept meaning to get her books. I was on Twitter but came off as its a shit show so have missed a lot. Vaguely kept trying to catch her on cooking shows etc. Recommended her recipes to friends. Fast forwards to the last few days, googles algorithm throws up tattle. I take a look. My outrage boileth over. Shes cosplaying poverty to fleece vulnerable people. Shes put back genuine campaigning by a decade. People are saying to me "her maths may be wonky but shes got a point." Its not wonky its ****ing WRONG!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 111

colouredlines

VIP Member
I just want to ask these people what do you think Jack does?

Free recipes? OK, but I can find free recipes for literally every dish ever conceived, because internet. I don't know any recipe writer who puts their work behind a paywall! I can search cheap recipes uk or costed recipes uk, and I get a ton of results. Plus her website is full of ads, so this is not an altruistic gesture. PLUS her recipes are incomprehensibly written, riddled with mistakes, and largely inedible.

Campaigning? Well, she tweets a lot. No, she wasn't involved with Free School Meals - she once interviewed Marcus Rashford for GQ magazine. Every time she claims to have worked a lot with him, she posts a picture from that interview as evidence. There has never been any indication that they have worked together.

Helping the poor? She claims to receive private messages from desperate poor people who wish to remain anonymous. There is no evidence to support this, and it's a bit fucking weird, if you think about it for more than half a second. She also produces scaremongering nonsense, ghoulishly writing about suicides and screaming at people that they're going to starve to death, which is...not helpful.

Helping food banks? She occasionally donates, I'll give her that. She generally only talks about the Trussell Trust and ignores other food banks. She also tells people what to donate, which a) varies from location to location, and b) ignores the fact that the most helpful donation will ALWAYS be money. Give cash to a food bank and they can buy exactly what they need, take advantage of bulk offers, etc.

Volunteer work? Ummmm...does tweeting count?

Amplifying voices? This is an odd concept from the start, but regardless - Jack Monroe's view of poverty is so narrow, and her claims are so far-fetched, that she actually has a negative effect here. Because if you haven't sold your lightbulbs, you're not poor enough. If you've never sold your toddler's favourite toys or stolen a Big Mac from a bin, you're not poor enough. If you have an Aldi in your city, then you should stay in your lane, Mr Moneybags!

Effective change? Hmm. Jack Monroe has been "working" as an activist for a decade now. If anyone can point to a single policy change that has resulted from this work, I will buy Tin Can Cook and personally cook every recipe in it. And tinned chicken in white sauce is not even sold in my country, so I'll be paying to have it shipped here.

So please, if any Jack fan stumbles upon this thread, before you leave in tears back to the safety of Twitter, please please please tell us what she actually does. Please.

• Heart
Reactions: 99
Im new to all this. Sorry to say i was a vague admirer of ms monroe, back in the day. After the chaos of the last few days, im burning with the anger of the defrauded. Carry on.

• Heart
Reactions: 93

DisgruntledGoat

VIP Member
I am begging Jack to Google the conditions that tea pickers work under. On no planet should anyone, poor or not, be buying tea that cheaply, because the loss is passed on to the practically enslaved women who undertake the labour.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 93

Mel Donte

Chatty Member
Maybe I'll get my Poor Card taken away from saying this but food prices are fine. In the case of some items (animal products in particular) they're underpriced. Rent, on the other hand, is appallingly high, but I doubt Jack Monroe of the Hadjicostas property empire wants to shout too loudly about that.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 92