Jack Monroe #189 Food Crime Pie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
her porridge is TERRIBLE. It’s really not that hard to make in the microwave. Also there is nothing luxury about that last bowl, blegh!
Poor sb. I have a tendency to go off piste when I cook and I love my porridge filled with loads of goodness but I've learned that kids like to know a) what to expect and b) what they're eating.
We can get creative when choosing toppings for things like pizza pancakes and cake but it has to be within certain parameters, anything too weird and they won't touch it.
Unless a YouTuber or tiktoker has endorsed it of course

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
I've just done the costings Dear Hearts, and ahem, a big duck you Jackie, my flour only cost 9p because I used Aldi own brand, 45pence for 1.5kg (cough further Aldi shilling cough)

Flour 9p
Yeast 7p
Water 3p (I boiled kettle to make warm water plus tap water filtered in Brita)
Salt <1p (Jack style, yeah!)
Oil <1p (Double Dip Pixie style POW!)
Electricity to cook it 6p
Washing up liquid 5p
Kitchen spray 5p
Kitchen roll 10p
Baking paper 30p

I've factored in everything, google helped me. Maths hurts my noggin. Owie brain.
Think you forgot to price up toilet roll!

• Haha
Reactions: 45
It’s covered in hair! I had to check what they said it was!

I make porridge for the kids in the microwave with milk - if you leave it to cool it absorbs more of the milk then you can mix in more if it goes too far. It’s not difficult - and quick as they have no patience for hob porridge.
Grown up porridge gets Nutella in it :)

once my kid asked if it was marmite and I nearly said yes but had a sudden premonition of having to make marmite porridge and having a chaos
We do the same as you! Microwave porridge left to cool, maybe a bit of sliced banana or berries if we’re feeling FANCY...when on-site I get up at stupid o’clock and I prefer savoury porridge with a spoon of peanut butter stirred in. Honestly keeps this very active smol pixie man satiated until it’s mid morning, possibly longer. I know it sounds rank, but if you need a shitload of slow releasing energy, it’s way more satisfying than a load of horse spunk muffins 😉🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
All this experimentation has reminded me that back in the dim and distant past when I was but a squiggle, I made the white chocolate tea bread from A Girl Called Jack. It did not rise (I'm sensing a pattern here...) and frankly was a waste of perfectly good chocolate. So if anyone else is softly pawing through Jack's recipes for baked goods, wondering which one to make next for our entertainment, take my advice and skip that one. Just eat the chocolate.
Oh we made that as well! Same results as you, it was flat, dry and inedible. Even the bleeping birds wouldn’t touch it 😂

Right. On the night shift with the lad now A hoping he’ll be well enough to come home within the next week. Night you wonderful cabal, and cheers for all your kind thoughts. You’re a cracking lot, you really are x

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 63
The cat has chimed it's time to turn the bread, I peered into my slow cooker like an eager child on christmas morning, awaiting surprises! I gingerly lifted my pot's lid and behold! It looked good! It smelled delicious, Dear Hearts. Oh what a smug smol pixie I felt, I giggled feverishly!

Then I turned the mofo out and duck me it's a slimy brick. Back in you go for another forty minutes. @HotesTilaire your warnings are ringing in my mind at this point. I'm dreading the texture :sick:

Attachments

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 88
The cat has chimed it's time to turn the bread, I peered into my slow cooker like an eager child on christmas morning, awaiting surprises! I gingerly lifted my pot's lid and behold! It looked good! It smelled delicious, Dear Hearts. Oh what a smug smol pixie I felt, I giggled feverishly!

Then I turned the mofo out and duck me it's a slimy brick. Back in you go for another forty minutes. @HotesTilaire your warnings are ringing in my mind at this point. I'm dreading the texture :sick:
If all else fails perhaps you could make a batch to wall your garden. Brick life.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
This thread is turning into Food Crime Everything. So many ways for innocent ingredients to come to a terrible end. Can you IMAGINE making a career of it?

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 49
If all else fails perhaps you could make a batch to wall your garden. Brick life.
It has a kind of slime mould thing going on. I did physically wretch on touching it. I'm 100% going to try and see how thin a slice would be if I managed 37.5 slices out of it :ROFLMAO:

Also, we need to add 15p for first aid bits due to me being a clumsy oaf with these damn hands and burning myself putting the paper back into the slow cooker.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
@Orphan_Black that is the most upsetting loaf of bread I have ever beheld. I feel bad saying that because I'm sure it's Jack's fault and not attributable to either of your unfurloughed hands. Look how miserable it is to have been thrust into existence.

upsetting bread 2.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 106
It has a kind of slime mould thing going on. I did physically wretch on touching it. I'm 100% going to try and see how thin a slice would be if I managed 37.5 slices out of it :ROFLMAO:

Also, we need to add 15p for first aid bits due to me being a clumsy oaf with these damn hands and burning myself putting the paper back into the slow cooker.
Ah the burns on her hands make sense now. Its part of the recipie. Got it.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.