Jack Monroe #189 Food Crime Pie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
this dough is horrified at its own existence

20210511_204811.jpg

kinda reminds me of the "#excluded rishi mate" selfie

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 68
Wow Fraus what a grunk to get up to date! PoorPatrol started a chaos of baking which is still ongoing! Lucky for me and my insomnia I should still be awake to hear @Orphan_Black update us on how tit the slow cooker bread is. Mine had a horrible density and tasted of water.
Finally congrats to Sir Billy of Bellend and his lifetime achievement being realised and finally getting a thread title!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
@PoorPatrol sorry if I missed it but did you actually taste one of those scuffins?
I think I know the answer.
Yes. Yes I did. They were so small and thin, I swear they came out as less than what I’d put in! I’d filled up the muffin tins 2/3 full, assuming they’d puff out, instead they inverted into wet discs with burnt outsides 😂

The outside being so burnt, I can only describe them as being like flaccid little hard balls of goo. Hard to break into because they’d formed a sort of burnt ‘skin’ but the inside was, as my husband described it “like flesh” 🤢 it wasn’t cooked inside at all, despite going way over the time.

We nibbled away at the edges like smol pixies, to test the overall taste. We both concluded that the tin of tomatoes made no sense and rendered it uncookable. You’d be better off, for tomato and herb flavour, to add in a dab of tomato purée and some sun-dried tomatoes chopped up. Which is what I do when I make savoury muffins, like a proper person who ain’t maverick.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 67
I've just done the costings Dear Hearts, and ahem, a big duck you Jackie, my flour only cost 9p because I used Aldi own brand, 45pence for 1.5kg (cough further Aldi shilling cough)

Flour 9p
Yeast 7p
Water 3p (I boiled kettle to make warm water plus tap water filtered in Brita)
Salt <1p (Jack style, yeah!)
Oil <1p (Double Dip Pixie style POW!)
Electricity to cook it 6p
Washing up liquid 5p
Kitchen spray 5p
Kitchen roll 10p
Baking paper 30p

I've factored in everything, google helped me. Maths hurts my noggin. Owie brain.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
POW!

BAM!

Holy smokes, Batman, did we just get transported to 1960's Gotham city?

ZAP!

• Haha
Reactions: 49
I've just done the costings Dear Hearts, and ahem, a big duck you Jackie, my flour only cost 9p because I used Aldi own brand, 45pence for 1.5kg (cough further Aldi shilling cough)

Flour 9p
Yeast 7p
Water 3p (I boiled kettle to make warm water plus tap water filtered in Brita)
Salt <1p (Jack style, yeah!)
Oil <1p (Double Dip Pixie style POW!)
Electricity to cook it 6p
Washing up liquid 5p
Kitchen spray 5p
Kitchen roll 10p
Baking paper 30p

I've factored in everything, google helped me. Maths hurts my noggin. Owie brain.
= 37.5 slices at 2p each 🧐

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
I'm only looking at the threads with a half eye as I'm on a trip to the West coast (of Scotland. Not sure if that's frowned upon here btw... It's non-essential but we're sticking to all the rules and it's been so lovely despite most of the bad weather)

Anyway, all my respect to the Frauen sacrificing their time and flour to test Jack's tit recipes. Thank you for your service.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
All this experimentation has reminded me that back in the dim and distant past when I was but a squiggle, I made the white chocolate tea bread from A Girl Called Jack. It did not rise (I'm sensing a pattern here...) and frankly was a waste of perfectly good chocolate. So if anyone else is softly pawing through Jack's recipes for baked goods, wondering which one to make next for our entertainment, take my advice and skip that one. Just eat the chocolate.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.