Jack Monroe #169 Please don’t argue about turnips

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember her saying somewhere on social media that either this book or tin can cook had come out with 'a whimper rather than a bang' because of the pandemic. This does not hold (obv) as you would have thought people stuck in their houses would be looking for something to do and hovering over the Amazon 'buy it now' button.
I have bought more cookery books in a shorter time this past year than ever before, none of which have been by Jack but at least two from DKL guests. I have also discovered a Scottish Baking book which I didn't realise that I had so that's going to be the next experiment.

I've also had time to properly cook in the evening, being at home. Bet books by THAT MAN and Mom haven't had a downturn in sales.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Probably just a rumour but don’t recipe writers write a whole load of gumpf about the dish and how it reminds them of one summer they spent in Tuscany with their granny massaging tomatoes with olive oil etc as it keeps people on their page longer so adverts and pop up ads create more income for them?
That's true. Also, there's a misconception that the longer you spend on a page, the higher Google will rank it. But most people will just nope out of there upon seeing a wall of text, so it can actually be bad for your numbers. As a PP said, there was a tool to remove all the gumpf and it pissed off a load of bloggers: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56241653

I hate to say it, but what Jack fails to realise about Nigella's style, and why it's so hard to ape, is that Nigella is really bleeping smart. She was privately educated, went to Oxford etc. She isn't just chucking in random 'clever person words'. You can't fake that kind of eccentric intelligence.

Jack is basically Joey from Friends when he learns to use the thesaurus.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
I have bought more cookery books in a shorter time this past year than ever before, none of which have been by Jack but at least two from DKL guests. I have also discovered a Scottish Baking book which I didn't realise that I had so that's going to be the next experiment.

I've also had time to properly cook in the evening, being at home. Bet books by THAT MAN and Mom haven't had a downturn in sales.
the other chefs on DKL really had the ultimate publicity, obviously they are all good, but in comparison with jack they seemed even better!

Reactions: 24
Jack thinks that the Hyacinths on Mumsnet going on about how tattoos are cheap, sluttish, lower-class etc are how most people think.
Maybe she does live in some sort of time warp? Prejudice exists, obviously, but every fucker has tattoos. People twice my age have them. I work with a GP in her sixties who was asking me about placement for one she was planning ffs. Unless you've got like...Nazi tatts or whatever no one cares, and if you do then you deserve anything you get

• Heart
Reactions: 45

Oh lovely! Any particular standouts? The way it's shaken out I've been doing less cooking than ever if anything, but I live in perpetual hope of getting my tit together 😂 I have benefitted deliciously from Ottolenghi Flavour and the Dishoon cookbook (though not lifted a finger to actually use either myself)

Reactions: 21
Oh lovely! Any particular standouts? The way it's shaken out I've been doing less cooking than ever if anything, but I live in perpetual hope 😂 I have benefitted deliciously from Ottolenghi Flavour and the Dishoon cookbook (though not lifted a finger to actually use either myself)
I really like Rachel Roddy's books, (biased as I used to live in Rome so is a form of escapism) but nice pictures/stories and also very simple foolproof recipes

• Heart
Why is she so useless?

Still nothing on the vegan upside down Jackfruit pineapple front on her website.

Do Del Monte even care?

B8D7C340-3C99-4310-B1A5-452050DEF8AB.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
Maybe she does live in some sort of time warp? Prejudice exists, obviously, but every fucker has tattoos. People twice my age have them. I work with a GP in her sixties who was asking me about placement for one she was planning ffs. Unless you've got like...Nazi tatts or whatever no one cares, and if you do then you deserve anything you get
I’m not a tattoo expert but a few of her tattoos look badly done to me so I wonder if that’s what people have commented on to her. I can see her bringing them up and asking people what they think and getting the shock of her life when they’re honest.

Oh god, I totally identify...

Neighbour had the door left open during the day, going in and out with washing. Pest is incredibly good at hiding and likes to get under covers. She did the same at another neighbour’s house last year. He found her casually sauntering down the stairs from his bedroom. Think she does it a lot as she often smells of laundry detergent we don’t use! We will have to move from our (RENTED) house if it carries on.
My neighbour messages me photos and updates of what my cat is doing! He always liked hanging around the byre and barns so when they sold the farm and built a house in the orchard he started hanging around there. Once their own cat died, he had their treats and cuddles to himself. I'm just waiting for the day they find him in the house rather than waiting to waylay them outside.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
I’m not a tattoo expert but a few of her tattoos look badly done to me so I wonder if that’s what people have commented on to her. I can see her bringing them up and asking people what they think and getting the shock of her life when they’re honest.
I had a close look and they are sloppy with thick lines and just seem to be slapped on with no thought to placement.

ETA not a tattooist but I have approximately 33% of my body tattooed.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
I hate to say it, but what Jack fails to realise about Nigella's style, and why it's so hard to ape, is that Nigella is really bleeping smart. She was privately educated, went to Oxford etc. She isn't just chucking in random 'clever person words'. You can't fake that kind of eccentric intelligence.

Jack is basically Joey from Friends when he learns to use the thesaurus.
Also, Nigella is pure posh, and most likely grew up listening to all sorts of refined conversation around the dinner table. A smart working class kid with a good ear would be able to use the culture and turns of phrase they heard in their writing to great effect too. Jack is neither, and she never listens, and she has no originality, so her voice has no authenticity.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
A few years ago, someone I knew from uni had a very minor baking blog. And I mean very minor - most entries had no comments (and she was American and really went for that "mix a tub of caramel M&Ms with strawberry Oreos" style that is popular over there).

Anyway, she was forever being sent free cookbooks to review. Every other entry was another bloody cookbook review, and she was always so excited and thankful and full of honest, unbiased, 100% positive feedback. 🤔 Apparently it's really easy to get on those lists...

(It may be harder nowadays, and I'm guessing publishers would send the freebies to people with a big Insta presence instead of a blog, but still.)

Reactions: 30
I remember someone I knew (RIP) showing off her tattoos around thirty years ago and she was in her seventies then. She'd gone along to hold her granddaughter's hand and ended up with a line of Pictish animals from standing stones exquisitely inked down her thigh in black linework.

• Heart
Reactions: 40

I got them for Christmas so nope
Also got a quick roasting tin book - meals in one tin. Was recommended. They also have a veggie one.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
My neighbour messages me photos and updates of what my cat is doing! He always liked hanging around the byre and barns so when they sold the farm and built a house in the orchard he started hanging around there. Once their own cat died, he had their treats and cuddles to himself. I'm just waiting for the day they find him in the house rather than waiting to waylay them outside.
My cat took to visiting an elderly man down the road. He was lonely in lockdown, so he likes her company - and he sends me photos and updates too!

• Heart
Reactions: 49
The excitement over the Pot Noodle reminds me a bit of Ruby's thing about Creme Eggs, which is about celebrating normal grocery shop treats etc, except without the charm.

• Haha
  • Heart
I really like Rachel Roddy's books, (biased as I used to live in Rome so is a form of escapism) but nice pictures/stories and also very simple foolproof recipes
rachel roddy is the QUEEN ❤ ❤ ❤ I love her so much. I must use at least 2 rachel roddy recipes a week.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.